which groups actually earned the “self produced” title?

• It's mostly just a marketing gimmick and something fans like to say to try to make their favorites sounds better the rest. Just because they come up with a few suggestion or write a line or two in the lyrics don't make them "self produced". I can't help lauging when people can Gidle "self produces", right... People must understand companies have a intrested to push an image like that.

Maybe go watch some song recordings of GIDLE before talking.. GIDLE debut was all because of Soyeon. CUBE couldnt even afford to give them a song for debut 🙄🙄🙄

GIDLE is probably the least disputed self-produce group out there. They even undergone the Queendom show for Soyeon to demonstrate how good she is at concept + song production

• I will just leave this right here

Every #Loossemble member has lyric credits on the mini-album, in addition to #Yves

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• People like you always tell on yourself, because everytime you have this stupid conspiracy theory, you always say Soyeon is the one tricking people. Never SKZ, never BTS, never Seventeen - only ever Soyeon. I wonder how Soyeon is different from the others listed.

Soyeon couldn't possibly write chart topping hits - it's unpossible for a *woman* to do that!

I said and example becaue I only listen and follow to girlgroups, so I try to stay away from commenting on boygroups because I don't know much about them so would be a bit silly to commenting on groups I never listen to.

But in this case, it's just very unlikely that a person with her background the group would suddenly write and "produce" the majority of the songs by themself. She was around 20 when the groups debuted and reading about her background, she studied ballet?, no signs of any music training at all or the she played an instrument. That just it very hard to believe she suddenly would be able to write and produce hit songs? It would be more easier to believe if it was after 7-10 or more years of experience an artist so she had time to learn during the years in kpop.

• But in this case, it's just very unlikely that a person with her background the group would suddenly write and "produce" the majority of the songs by themself. She was around 20 when the groups debuted and reading about her background, she studied ballet?, no signs of any music training at all or the she played an instrument. That just it very hard to believe she suddenly would be able to write and produce hit songs? It would be more easier to believe if it was after 7-10 or more years of experience an artist so she had time to learn during the years in kpop.

Argument from incredulity. And ignorance.

Most rock bands out there have no formal musical training. They just picked an instrument and learnt to play and compose by jamming in their garage. Do you think Metallica attended a music school? They recorded and released their first album at age 19.

• Argument from incredulity. And ignorance.

Most rock bands out there have no formal musical training. They just picked an instrument and learnt to play and compose by jamming in their garage. Do you think Metallica attended a music school? They recorded and released their first album at age 19.

Yes, and that is also one of my points. A lot of artist are people that "picked an instrument and learnt to play" or the typical singer songwriters. I don't mean they need a formal music education, but I have not seen anything in her background and says she have played any kind of music instrument, what I see is she has a balett background but switch to singing and rap. It's hard to believe someone that don't have gone in somekind of musis eduaction or at least learned to play instrument by themself suddenly would be able to write and produce their on music and songs. Sure, they could write lyrics and do some kind of music production, but doing it without a lot of help from others? But maybe I have missed something in her background and she have been playing instrumend since childhood are something? I just base my belief on what I have read about her and her age.

• Yes, and that is also one of my points. A lot of artist are people that "picked an instrument and learnt to play" or the typical singer songwriters. I don't mean they need a formal music education, but I have not seen anything in her background and says she have played any kind of music instrument, what I see is she has a balett background but switch to singing and rap. It's hard to believe someone that don't have gone in somekind of musis eduaction or at least learned to play instrument by themself suddenly would be able to write and produce their on music and songs. Sure, they could write lyrics and do some kind of music production, but doing it without a lot of help from others? But maybe I have missed something in her background and she have been playing instrumend since childhood are something? I just base my belief on what I have read about her and her age.

She's doing pop music, not instrument based music. And yes, she received music lessons at Cube during her trainee days. In behind-the-scenes video, you can see her play and record demos on a keyboard.

Not sure why you keep bringing her ballet background. She did ballet back when she was a toddler. It's barely relevant to what she is today.

• She's doing pop music, not instrument based music. And yes, she received music lessons at Cube during her trainee days. In behind-the-scenes video, you can see her play and record demos on a keyboard.

Not sure why you keep bringing her ballet background. She did ballet back when she was a toddler. It's barely relevant to what she is today.

I just brought up the ballet because it at least have some connection with music and was the only thing I could find about her that at least hade some connection with music before she was a kpop trainee. And the purpose of bringing up if she have played an intstrument or not I thought would be pretty obvious? It's a key skill in creating music and also shows a skill in understanding music. So you mean pop music is not "intstrument based music"? What? Of cource it is. Yes, I know a lot of music is done my computers and stuff today, but that don't mean the music is not based on intruments.

But sure, it's up to everyone to believe what they want, I just saying it sounds very unlikely she whould get the skills need to create a song all by herself in the short period from starting her trainee time to debuting. Most of the time must have been spent on the singing/rapping and dancing.

• But sure, it's up to everyone to believe what they want, I just saying it sounds very unlikely she whould get the skills need to create a song all by herself in the short period from starting her trainee time to debuting. Most of the time must have been spent on the singing/rapping and dancing.

Some people are more gifted than others. Ryan Jhun was already praising Soyeon's vocals in Produce 101 even though she entered as a rapper. In UPR3 she was arguably the best rapper of the show, despite her being the maknae. She acquired dance skills through ballet and street dancing even before joining Cube. So no, she didn't have a lot of training to do since she already was the best trainee her company had, unlike many idols who have a lot of ground to cover for being debut ready. And all that time she didn't have to spend to become competent at basic idol things, she could spend it on acquiring other skills, like composing and producing, which she did.

So no, there is nothing unlikely about all that stuff. She worked passionately to become the prodigy she is today. She didn't fluke her way into the list of the most credited idol songwriters by random chance. Now that would be unlikely.

• I just brought up the ballet because it at least have some connection with music and was the only thing I could find about her that at least hade some connection with music before she was a kpop trainee. And the purpose of bringing up if she have played an intstrument or not I thought would be pretty obvious? It's a key skill in creating music and also shows a skill in understanding music. So you mean pop music is not "intstrument based music"? What? Of cource it is. Yes, I know a lot of music is done my computers and stuff today, but that don't mean the music is not based on intruments.

But sure, it's up to everyone to believe what they want, I just saying it sounds very unlikely she whould get the skills need to create a song all by herself in the short period from starting her trainee time to debuting. Most of the time must have been spent on the singing/rapping and dancing.

She has recently said on Bubble that she used to play violin and piano at school. Hell, there even was a mini-scandal about her using a pirate software for making music in her rookie years. Soyeon also said that she took midi classes during her training in Cube.

• I thought we shouldn't throw the title self-produce too carelessly nowadays, but seems like in this thread, every other group is self produce. We stans love having titles and labels.

Just thinking out loud here: What are yall criteria for a self-produce group? Do they need to spend their own money in order for it to be actually a 'self-produce'? Or just having credits in music is fine? Do they actually need to participates in multiple albums or songs? Im assuming the self-producing title is for their OWN group and not others. Otherwise it'll just be a producer or song writers. How granular do we go for this title? If we don't want to throw titles around too easily, then there should be a criteria. I'd love to hear some insights.

FYI I would not count 1 person doing majority of work being credited as a whole group's work. Imagine you're in college and did the majority of work for your group, the others just put their name on the paper at the end or provided some insights here and there, and then paraded that they earned that A.

:iconpepe:

Epik High, Day6, The Rose; they're amazing.

I just brought up the ballet because it at least have some connection with music and was the only thing I could find about her that at least hade some connection with music before she was a kpop trainee. And the purpose of bringing up if she have played an intstrument or not I thought would be pretty obvious? It's a key skill in creating music and also shows a skill in understanding music. So you mean pop music is not "intstrument based music"? What? Of cource it is. Yes, I know a lot of music is done my computers and stuff today, but that don't mean the music is not based on intruments.

Soyeon would fit producer/lyricists routes and etc since she's majority credits for all their comebacks and productions. But as self producing, I am not sure, it really depending on what Others' opinion on what it means to be self-produce. She certainly earned by respect and honestly, one of the most talented GG idol presently. I had to specify GG otherwise stans woulda come for my throat.

:peperun:

---======---

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!