Velvet’s Library: New Jeans’ [Self Titled]

• 14/8/22

You thought I was gonna do Brave Girls? Nope! Hah! Pulled the rug from under ya!

You’d think with how big Hybe is, someone would’ve seen NewJeans coming, because I remember being absolutely shocked when the music video for Attention dropped. Not that I didn’t know something was going to drop (Ador posted the 22nd of July for a reason) but I was expecting a teaser, not 1 of the 4 music videos the group would eventually release! As far as the debut mini album goes, it’s pretty solid. Unlike the previous album I reviewed, this album is more carefree, more easy listening. The production is fresh: We hear girl groups do something dark or mature this year, but NewJeans is breezy, summery, not the bubblegum pop we usually hear during the months. NewJeans’ vocals are collectively soft and the material they are given to sing does not show off power nor range; Doesn’t mean their talents are bad though, they are still young and will develop over their careers.There is one song that I can’t seem to enjoy (and we’ll get to it) but the remainder of the album does cover its flaws.

Note: The objective of these reviews are to praise and critique the tracks themselves. I will not be making comments on NewJeans’ concept, styling, etc. However, if I do see problems within the tracks themselves (lyrics, namely) then I will not be afraid to critique them.

Tracklist -

Attention (single)

Hype Boy (single)

Cookie (single)

Hurt

TS-u81dLJA9PT-HYMwEub2anzALMRV_ibhkeeL27svYQswX4-hnnbJa7vE3ol3FLPq670fxKPIKXdvr443dL_-0mOo7hdzn8ZbzfWhZ00RZtP5Gnr7WGLUxCArjvrGLsJvggmZbCr6t9cY2_1ik4pQs

Attention

Written By: Danielle, Gigi, Duckbay, 250

Lyricism by: Gigi, Duckbay

Arrangement by: 250

Composition by: 250, Duckbay

Produced by: 250

I don’t know where to start with this track. Not from a lack of words, but I don’t know how to write these words down.

The percussion of this record is minimal, actually the whole production is minimal. The je ne sais quoi beat is particularly the stand out, as it adds flavour to the entire song. Usually, I’m not one for vertically deserted songs, but Attention works, as well as the chorus. The chorus is very simple, but it works as the keyboard rhythm kicks in when it starts. Less is more in this case, and this enhances the chorus but also the structure; Attention doesn’t suffer from a lack of bridge and a final chorus. The verses are fine, they flow smoothly but aren’t the best part of the song. NewJeans’ soft vocals make this record an easy listening jam, and I enjoy the head voice they use during the chorus. This is a great opener. Bonus points for not rapping; It would’ve ruined the flow of Attention.

Hooks: 8

Production: 9

Longevity: 10

Bias: 8

Total: 8.75

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Hype Boy

Written By: Hanni, 250, Ylva Dimberg, Gigi

Lyricism: Gigi

Arrangement and programming by: 250

Mix Engineering by: Phil Tan (additional engineering by Bill Zimmerman)

Composition by: 250, Ylva Dimberg

Hype Boy is executed really well. I’m a fan of anything electronic, especially electro-pop, so this is up my alley. I find the writing and lyricism in the track more thoughtful than Attention; There’s more passion in its chorus. Also, the chorus is just so catchy; It became an ear worm for me the first time I listened to Hybe Boy. The members also get to show off their voices, one of the two songs that I think demonstrates the control of their vocals accurately. The production is great as well. Anything synth, no matter what synth, is a win for me. The beat of the record is more upbeat than the opener of the album, making it more energetic. But despite that, both songs are still laid back and restricted, which I find to be a breath of fresh air for title tracks in the K-pop industry. I think this song is a great first impression of NewJeans with Attention.

Hooks: 9

Longevity: 10

Total: 9

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Cookie

Written By: Gigi, Ylva Dimberg, Jinsu Park

Lyricism by: Gigi, Ylva Dimberg

Arrangement by: Jinsu Park

Composition by: Ylva Dimberg, Jinsu Park

Produced by: Jinsu Park

Before I talk about the elephant in the room, I’ll say my thoughts on the composition first. I don’t have much thoughts on it though.

The beat’s alright, it’s not my favourite, but it’s alright. The bridge is particularly the best part about the production, since they do double time, but then it reverses back to normal and loses its momentum. The chorus is not the strongest, the verses flow fine. I’m happy they did a final chorus in Cookie; However I don’t like the pre-chorus. It’s just an alright song, there’s no particularly good or bad aspects of the song itself. The members also sing fine. There’s not much to say about the minimalistic production and simple verses.

Now let’s talk about the elephant in the room. I don’t usually take notice of lyrics in K-pop, as I don’t speak Korean. However, the lyrics of Cookie are quite problematic. Cookies (and just sweets and deserts in general) are synonymous with sexuality; Making the members of NewJeans (who are underaged) sing the lyrics is absolutely disgusting. I tried to give the benefit of the doubt that the lyrics were mistranslated, but it seems like Hybe and the writers are sticking with the original translation. Cookie was an okay track, but the lyrics really do ruin it.

Hooks: 6

Production: 8

Longevity: 5

Total: 7

Hurt

Written By: Gigi, Ayelle, 250

Lycrism by: Gigi, Ayelle

Background vocals by: NewJeans, Emily Kim

Arrangement by: 250

Mix and record engineering by: Jeon Bu Yeon

Composition by: Ayelle, 250

This is an RnB track; I shouldn’t be into Hurt mainly because I’m not someone to enjoy RnB. But, NewJeans won me over with their soft vocals. Hanni absolutely (softly) kills the chorus of the song, and the other members shouldn’t go without merit. They elevate this record that I don’t think groups with powerful vocals can do, this is a song made for them. As always, I’d enjoy a more predictable closing, namely a final chorus, because having Hurt under 3 minutes is a crime. The production is sweet, I like the jazzy hints they have with the piano chords. I find the bass to be the unsung hero in Hurt; It adds so much to the record. Hurt does what it does best, and I appreciate its simplicity and easy listening.

Hooks: 8

Longevity: 9

Total: 8.5

Total: 8.3/10

Next week: Golden Child’s Aura

Credit to TheBiasList for rating system.

YouChanDoThis

Yunjinwhatever

Hilary-21

bunnyviolet

daniel-cruz

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!