After this year's Grammys, are people REALLY still claiming US pop is so much better than K-pop??

• Sorry, but after watching various Grammy performances, I feel American pop music scene is almost reaching for new lows on purpose.

It just looks trashy, cheap, little refinement or class, and almost like a parody of itself. As if vicious trolls decided 'you know what, let's make fun of Americans, American pop music and American pop artists and laugh at how ridiculous they can be.'

And that's aside from the whole BTS at the Grammy's stuff: just check the Grammys from years ago and compare it with this year, it just looks like the American pop scene, like so many other American things, are diving deeper and deeper down the drain with each new year :meanb:

'No more shall man have wings to bear him to paradise. Henceforth, he shall walk.'

SWJ1P.gif

• Grammys back then. No one can ever

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• It all comes down to taste at the end... I know many people who would get bored to death watching Melon awards for example, while I could not get past 5 minutes of watching Grammys

There are great K-Pop songs and great US pop songs, just like there are trashy songs in K-Pop and US. It just depends on what you decide to listen to.

Also Grammys have been trash for a while now so I would not consider them a good representation of US music scene.

KIMKAI48

059e37d0b9c38b277aec681de8161eeb7e65a633.gifv

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

:yesr:

Grammy's now

It's become a parody :nob:

'No more shall man have wings to bear him to paradise. Henceforth, he shall walk.'

SWJ1P.gif

• I agree, now I can count with just one hand how many US artists I care about nowadays, to me their pop has become an immense blob of unoriginality

And to prove how decadent they are, alot of US artist all of a sudden became "fans" of kpop, after the meteoric rise of groups like BTS and Blackpink, they finally found themselves vulnerable, so they are basically trying to surf on the wave just to get attention

They even took out BTS's righteously Grammy, cuz it was easier to do, instead of improving their withering and lackluster industry

Right now, we are living a cultural battle between the east and west, the Grammys were just a reflection of this

Mariah Carey noona :pepelove1:

• Right now, we are living a cultural battle between the east and west, the Grammys were just a reflection of this

I actually don´t think this is the case at all, sure K-Pop has gotten very popular globally, but it cannot yet be measured with western music. K-Pop is famous because of fanbases who buy and stream their faves. Western music is based on general public (mostly) that stream songs they like and sometimes even buy albums that they like very much.

KIMKAI48

• Kpop is literally inspired from western pop and rap. If western pop music is shit, then kpop would be equally shit lol. The only thing kpop is better than western pop and rap is dancing, performances and music videos.

It doesn't really matter where inspiration comes from, as time has shown over and over again, people can surpass their sources of inspiration.

The Japanese car and tech industry in the past century were inspired by the American model of doing things - and then started to do things better than their American inspiration.

Microsoft was inspired by IBM and Apple for their operating systems - and then started to do things better.

Original Star Wars was inspired by some old samurai movies - and then left them far behind.

While tastes differ, this year's Grammy's is a really sad representation of what the American music scene has to offer these days, and it shows how far pop music from other regions, like K-pop, has come now that they're doing the whole pop music thing better and better than American companies and artists themselves.

SWJ1P.gif

• Kpop is literally inspired from western pop and rap. If western pop music is shit, then kpop would be equally shit lol. The only thing kpop is better than western pop and rap is dancing, performances and music videos.

I actually think western artist MV are better,

And I’m very reluctant to even give them performances the variety that we just saw in the Grammys is miles ahead of shows like MAMA or MelOn

• Official Post

I don't understand why people use WAP as an indicator of the whole music scene.

• What's with the random applause in the middle of the performance that came out of nowhere

:cryingr::cryingr:

• Kind of agree but it could have been written differently because some kpop is bad too and some western music is bad too.I really love western music still,but the way they sell it and promote it...not really.

It used to be classy and elegant and minimalistic,at this point so many Western artist show their bussy and coochie on stage that I will see their uterus soon.It’s starting to be the same with a lot of kpop groups as well,doesn’t mean it’s worse/better.

Kpop award shows are tacky and do not represent well Korean music too but in different ways.

OP I think you got some people mad by saying words like trashy and cheap.

• I liked Post Malone and Bruno Mars' performances

And the tribute performances!

Bruno Mars blew my socks off with his tribute performance quite frankly

Brandi Carlisle was amazing also

The live arrangements were beautiful, you can't beat live bands

That is something I want to hear more of in Korean award shows

That, paying tribute to recently deceased industry figures and artists, and more diversity

There was a metal performance in the pre show and it was really cool tbh

Kpop dance breaks are obviously superior though

The live singing makes a difference

That's why Cardi's performance fell flat

compared to others

Their show benefits from not having their artists sing over loud playback honestly, and having less lipsyncers

America is huge and I don't think that one award show really represents the whole scene, as others have said

• OP I think you got some people mad by saying words like trashy and cheap.

That's how it looked to me, no other way to see it.

They are both equally bad. I’ve heard some very bad kpop songs and equally bad pop music too. Also I’ve heard good songs from both sides. Don’t watch one show and just judge the music scene.

I don't understand why people use WAP as an indicator of the whole music scene.

Let's put things straight, nothing is black & white.

Meaning, there are bad K-pop songs and performances and there are bad US pop songs and performances.

But overall, compared with years before it looks like Grammys performances, like a lot of contemporary American pop music, are less great and top notch quality than they used to be as the years progress, and WAP was a good showcase and symbol of that.

SWJ1P.gif

• I mean the Grammys is an American award show thing and us pop is from America and no shit that ppl would choose pop over kpop since it’s prolly more listened to in America and prolly more respected

I know ppl be calling the stages cheap and stuff but even though it looks like that it’s prolly cost like 80 grand, and if ppl know for a fact they can’t afford something like that just close your mouth to lessen the risk of being attacked online and being called poor

Both genres have good music and both genres have musty ass music

Western female artist bustin on stage ain’t no different from kpop male artist grinding the stage

Both be getting criticized

Both have different languages

Get over it ppl

Don’t bring something down just to bring another thing up just bcuz it be your favorite

Be humble like Kendrick Lamar said

“Welcome to good burger, home of the good burger, can I take your order?”

• I didn't watch it, but I usually look over the awardee lists for artists, groups, or bands that aren't super pushed in the mainstream currently. Good artists and musicians are there but interestingly enough, most aren't new. Sometimes they get it right, but when it comes to hotter categories..not always.

Best Rock Song - "Stay High," Brittany Howard

Best Rock Performance - "Shameika," Fiona Apple

Best Rap Album - King's Disease, Nas

Best R&B Song - "Better Than I Imagine," Robert Glasper, Meshell Ndegeocello & Gabriella Wilson

Best Traditional R&B Performance - "Anything for You," Ledisi

Best Music Film - Linda Ronstadt: The Sound Of My Voice

Best Traditional Pop Vocal Album - American Standard, James Taylor

When it comes to mainstream Pop music of the US and South Korea, I think they both share the same filler "flash in the pan" songs problem.

• Judging from the threads some Armys have been posting in the past 2 days it seems like many publications and critics chose BTS performance as one of the best of the night? I have yet to watch BTS' performance myself and I have no interest in us music scene but I think that alone is a testament that making broad statements such as "western music is superior to kpop" is faulty but neither do I agree with the opposite.

• Sweetie WAP is a bop. Just say it ain’t your kinda music :mooning:

YEEEEEEEEES!! THAT FLY LIKE A BIRD PERFORMANCE IS ONE OF MY FAVES!

WE ARE NOT WORTHY

InfiniteDiligentKoodoo-max-1mb.gif

agree, K-pop fans forget that many of K-Pop trends are taken by/inspired from the west

KIMKAI48

• We are in the middle of a pandemic. It’s unfair to critique the American music scene when the pandemic halted a lot of artists eras. On the bright side, a lot of new artists were able to see success this year and the Grammys reflected that. They’re still growing as artists and performers. On the down side, a lot of big artists who are established performers were unable to begin their albums/eras and that’s why it hasn’t been as packed as before.

2021 will likely see the release of a lot of major artists returning to the scene because the pandemic won’t be as a prevalent b/c of the vaccine.

• Lmao

Without Us pop kpop wouldn't survive a year.

Let all the white, black and Latinos pop music, style and creative ideas be gone kpop would be just a Korean Jpop copy.

Except for Korean trot all Korean music categories are copys from the west or Japan.

Its actually mad how many similarities and copys you will find in kpop groups.

• i just want to point out that the fact kpop is inspired from western music doesn't automatically mean that western music is necessarily better. you can always take inspiration from a certain trend or style and add your twist to it and make it your own. artists' own interpretation matters a lot in the way a song ends up sounding or a performance ends up looking. you can give 2 artists the exact same song and they can interprete it in two entirely different ways and give off different feelings and impressions, let alone something as vague as "trend"

• American pop has more variety in genres for sure, Kpop is boyband music while local pop encompasses rap, hip hop, rock, country, RnB, etc.

When it comes to vocals, American acts have a wider range, better vocalists at the top but also more acts at the bottom, while Kpop probably falls somewhere in the middle.

When it comes to dance and performance, Kpop dominates obviously.

Both pop industries are manufactured, labels control everything, it's just that American music industry likes to sell fairy tales about how your faves are self made stars, creators and artists and fans eagerly swallow this hook, line, and sinker lol. Meanwhile, Korea is more honest and direct about it with their trainee system.

The truth is, once you get to a certain level where you are seen as an asset and a moneymaker, UMG, Sony, and Warner will control everything that you do to squeeze the most money out of you. And when it comes to artistry, just look at credit lines of songs to see just how many names are on there. Even then, this aint the whole truth, as ghostwriters undoubtedly exist who do the actual writing while the "artist" gets the credit.

Pop music is just a product that is sold to the masses. Acts are brands just as much as they are "artists".

• Women owning their own body isn’t a “low” lmao. In fact, the thing that makes USpop better for me is their sex-positivity. And that’s coming from an asian. Meghan’s rap was damn fire too!! And tbh, half of k-pop cant even twerk like they do, that’s a tea.

I love k-rnb for that matter because they’re the ones who’re sex positive, tho the whole industry is still very reserved towards women talking about sex. It’s sad that y’all cant see how k-pop is VERY misogynistic except when talking about, idk, MAMA performers. LOL.

• Lmao

Without Us pop kpop wouldn't survive a year.

Let all the white, black and Latinos pop music, style and creative ideas be gone kpop would be just a Korean Jpop copy.

Except for Korean trot all Korean music categories are copys from the west or Japan.

Its actually mad how many similarities and copys you will find in kpop groups.

All pop music is derived from African American communities of the 20th century. Hip hop, rock, RnB, soul, funk, rap, pop.

But you're living in the past if you think Kpop would just die without local pop lol.

• Women owning their own body isn’t a “low” lmao. In fact, the thing that makes USpop better for me is their sex-positivity. And that’s coming from an asian. Meghan’s rap was damn fire too!! And tbh, half of k-pop cant even twerk like they do, that’s a tea.

I love k-rnb for that matter because they’re the ones who’re sex positive, tho the whole industry is still very reserved towards women talking about sex. It’s sad that y’all cant see how k-pop is VERY misogynistic except when talking about, idk, MAMA performers. LOL.

I would say the whole kpop industry is quite sanitised in that respect

Idol songs have to address the topic covertly

It doesn't look like explicit songs about sex chart well there anyway

• among the popular music, I would agree, I actually find the asian music scene a bit better, but honestly there are a lot of good pop songs as well, its just that these award shows cant move past their signature artists, and cant be bothered to give chance to some actual good music if it is not from some famous and popular names... Just look at BTS, the only reason they got nominated was because they made noise and delivered a hit song which made them a popular talk of the year.. you think dynamite would have been nominated if not for that level of success?

No award show gives a shit about music anymore, its just about what made noise, what will get them clicks, and what will keep their fav artists satisfied

• This thread contains 3 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!