Do you think BOYNEXTDOOR will rise from poor chart performance?

• BOYNEXTDOOR, Hybe's new boy group from Zico's label failed to chart on any major digital platform.

Their current album sales are around 33k.

Album sales I understand since they're a brand new group with no survival shows to back them up etc. However, a bit surprised that they didn't even chart on Bugs.

Do you think they will rise once they amass more of a fandom? Do you think KOZ's strategy of not promoting the individual members at all pre-debut backfired? It worked for New Jeans because they were a gg that relied on the GP. But since bgs rely on fandom, I think KOZ could've come out with some pre-debut variety show content or something to build a fanbase.

• I think they gonna at least chart in genie and bugs after the promo starts, but melon is another thing. Their style is public friendly, but their songs doesn't really stand out, the same for the vocals.

Weirdly, another group released a song that I would expect from a Zico produced group:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Maybe the style different to avoid comparisons with block b, but the same level of catchiness and good rap parts.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I just watched Serenade and it was a cute, catchy, suitable for younger crowds type of song.. they have this Pentagon-like vibe too (like pent up boyish energy that’s kinda charming). I can see kids liking this group, kinda like Treasure. But I don’t see them wowing gp or kpop stans in general. Yet.

External Content youtu.be

• Wow the sales are actual flop numbers, 33k? Ngl this is the least big 4 group hype I’ve seen

Leave physicals, their digitals kinda shocked me. I thought they had garnered some hype as Zico's group.

Guess public really have given up on boy groups. Won't be surprised if we don't get any notable rookies next year either.

• Leave physicals, their digitals kinda shocked me. I thought they had garnered some hype as Zico's group.

Guess public really have given up on boy groups. Won't be surprised if we don't get any notable rookies next year either.

Zico himself doesn't have consistent charting performance so I don't think they were 100 percent given to chart.

• Someone in the last thread mentioned them giving iKON vibes.

I completely agree. I think Zico is going to give them a hit.

I'd say in a year or two, they will have a digital hit. Now, will their physicals catch up with all the other big groups right now, probably not until they get a hit.

PGDPGT PRETTY GIRLS DOING PRETTY GIRL THINGS

417aa1c7e1372f9ae29d8e2f659d3f12cf0db4d9.gifv0d1493f18550d15d02f4c2bba44c12bdc01f518d.gifv

• Someone in the last thread mentioned them giving iKON vibes.

I completely agree. I think Zico is going to give them a hit.

I'd say in a year or two, they will have a digital hit. Now, will their physicals catch up with all the other big groups right now, probably not until they get a hit.

I think ggs need more a hit to get good sales, but for bgs it doesn't work the same. Winner and Ikon sales is pretty lackuster compared to their (early) digital performance. Even comparing their peak and same gen, Monsta X, a non big4 group sells more than them, and Monsta X never had a hit.

While ifans love to drag dark or noisy songs, I think it works better to build a hardcore fandom.

For now, the company should work in showing the members individuality. Covers, reality show appearances, those things could help them, since none of the members was known before the debut.

• I think ggs need more a hit to get good sales, but for bgs it doesn't work the same. Winner and Ikon sales is pretty lackuster compared to their (early) digital performance. Even comparing their peak and same gen, Monsta X, a non big4 group sells more than them, and Monsta X never had a hit.

While ifans love to drag dark or noisy songs, I think it works better to build a hardcore fandom.

For now, the company should work in showing the members individuality. Covers, reality show appearances, those things could help them, since none of the members was known before the debut.

Yes, definitely. They may never sell like Enhypen and TXT, but 33k for 1st day sells says to me that the public probably doesn't even know they debuted.

Quickest way to get public attention is by having a hit.

PGDPGT PRETTY GIRLS DOING PRETTY GIRL THINGS

417aa1c7e1372f9ae29d8e2f659d3f12cf0db4d9.gifv0d1493f18550d15d02f4c2bba44c12bdc01f518d.gifv

• While ifans love to drag dark or noisy songs, I think it works better to build a hardcore fandom.

I don't really agree here. NCT Dream and TxT were able to grown a big fandom without many noisy dark songs

BTS exploded after going more pop-ish (DNA, Idol and after Boy with Luv and Dynamite)

SVT grown a lot and they always change between darker songs and light songs as well

Treasure were doing good before two of the most popular members leaving the group

The type of the music do not really impact the fandom growth, I do understand why you think dark noisy songs are good to build a fandom though, it's confirmation bias

Generally speaking nobody minus their fans listen to dark noisy songs for a couple of years. That's why almost nobody used to listen Stray Kids before God's Menu when they finally had their first hit. At this point they had a strong stabilished fandom

Meanwhile you have a group like TxT who have releases much bigger songs than anything from SKz (before Gods Menu), yet their sales wasn't that much bigger of Stray Kids, so the obvious conclusion is dark noisy songs are better to build fandoms

But that's not the point. The thing here is when you release catchy pop songs you can get many casual listeners who are not fans and this might skew a bit our perception of the impact of the songs when it comes from building a fanbase. A group like Treasure can get a viral pop song (Darari) and still not convert those listeners into fans, because their listeners were just casuals

Meanwhile for a dark edgy song get tons of popularity is likely imply fandom growth, because the public appeal of this song is much more limited

So it's harder to measure when a pop-ish group is having fandom growth, streaming might not be a good metric. But that's not because pop songs are bad to build a fandom, but only because we cannot measure effectively how many listers are newer fans and how many are casuals

• Their concept and music are all bland. Compare that to all the hit's girl groups are releasing, you'd figure out why their failing from the jump. Men struggle to release good music like they did in the past, that isn't the usual "I'm so cool" mess. If it isn't noise it's bland. Boy groups are on the struggle bus. Only like 3 boy groups are successful in 4th gen, none recent.

✰ ✧・゚: *✧・゚:* 🌷🌷🌷♡ ♡ ♡🌷🌷🌷 ✧・゚: *✧・゚:* ✰

c84b43c6d23bf4bc277ebcd8e1c37de5.jpgStory pin image

• I don't really agree here. NCT Dream and TxT were able to grown a big fandom without many noisy dark songs

TXT fandom grew a lot after their dark/emo phase, no? Tbh, at first I saw moas more like armys supporting their junior group, but later they really were able to get attention outside hybe fandom. But I agree is confusing to know the concept who leads to more fandom growth, since the fandoms come from different places too. Like, Seventeen and Stray Kids have big sales, but Seventeen is bigger in asia and Stray Kids bigger in the west.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!