"Catchiness", one of the things that I think make a song to be likeable for GP taste.

• Well, there may some posts talked about this in the past. But here I want to share about what I noticed about a group's release and the response of the GP. I don't know much about charts, but since some of you guys talked about that stuff, and so I can take some of it. Maybe you can replied the charts number for a song's performance, I gladly appreciate that.

SO WHAT I NOTICE IS:

Catchiness / catchy part in a song is usually the things that could caters to the GP. There are also other things like the artist's vocal, or the choreo that also catchy. But here, I want to talk about this thing only.

I think it's one of the thing that people would consider as "iconic" or the thing that makes a song to be memorable, even if it was released several years ago. Heck, Gangnam Style is already a decade ago. Idols themselves refers this as their "killing point". Catchiness is usually the parts where the non-idols or other kpop idols remembers and could replicate or at least hum it.

Sometimes, catchiness also makes you listened to that release and like it, even if usually you don't like their sound.

And this is why I think that makes several groups are "loved" by GP and could chart when their other song that maybe don't have or the "killing point" is weak.

Let's see some of it, based on each artist (well, mostly it's gonna be ggs, since I mostly listened to ggs):

• IVE

• Eleven had a several parts, but the strongest one is the "1,2,3,4,5,6,7 you make me feel like eleven".
      • Love Dive had that "oooh oooh" chant parts, and maybe the strongest is the "Narcissistic, my God I love it" part
      • For After Like, it's the "you-hoo and I-I is more than like" part. (Yoo Jae Seok really love this part)
      • Kitsch is kitsch.
      • And for I AM, it's the anthemic chorus, starting from their "THAT'S MY-"
    • aespa
      • The Black Mamba drop parts (well, both the music drop and the choreo is iconic)
      • "I'M ON THE NEXT LEVEL-" (Also had an iconic choreo)
      • "Gimme gimme now, gimme gimme now zu zu zu zu" (This one too)
        Maybe some mys will argue this one, but I think the reason Girls "underperforming" was because it didn't had a strong catchy parts, unlike their previous release.
    • StayC
      Some of their title are catchy, and the same thing also happened with Beautiful Monster. That song didn't had a strong catchy part.
      And that's why Poppy and Teddy Bear seems like more popular, and maybe had a better charting(?) because those 2 song is catchier.
    • ITZY
      I actually don't listened the previous ITZY's songs. AKP users mentioned that they've been declined. But then Sneakers happened and they kinda have a raise(I forgot if that was a charting or sales?), because "PUT MAA SNEAKERS ONNN, HANADEUL READY GET SET GO" is annoyingly catchy.
    • Weeekly
      Now known as the one-hit wonder, After School's chorus is catchy.
    • Everglow
      For this one, I'm not sure if the charting data would back this up. But I saw that when people mentioned what is their hits, the answer are usually either Ladida or Dun Dun. I've seen people reporting that their next cb after Ladida were kinda dropped because even tho I like First, it don't really have any strong catchy part like their previous songs.
    • (G)I-DLE
      Tomboy is their miracle, because that "Yeah I'm *beep* Tomboy" is catchy. I'm honestly curious on how would Queen Card will be like, since I want to see if they gonna design that song to have a strong catchy part.
    • Le Sserafim
      Antifragile is their miracle. That "Anti ti ti fragile fragile" is contagiously catchy. Unforgiven is pursuing this path too. Well actually Fearless was also built with catchiness in mind.
    • Newjeans
      OMG is 1000% this. It makes your grandma going that head dance and "Oh Ma Oh Ma God". Their other song also have some catchy parts and I can understand why Hype Boy at that time is higher than Attention, because Hype Boy's chorus is catchier than Attention's.
    • Oh My Girl
      • "Dun Dun Dance, Dun Dun Dance, Dun Dun Dance. Just Dance~"
      • "Saljak solae so nan, oh na na na na na" on Nonstop
      • "La, La, La, La, LaLa, LaLaLa." on Dolphin
    • Brave Girls with their Rollin' Rollin' Rollin' chorus
    • NMIXX
      LMLT is indeed have a strong catchy parts compared to their previous songs. While I think Dice's catchy part is actually on the "N-MIXX-CHANGE-UP LET'S GO! BIG WAVE BIG WAVE", it's not as catchy as LMLT.
      Heck, even Young, Dumb, Stupid is annoyingly more catchy than Dice's.
    • Fifty fifty
      Cupid is also catchy, mainly on their prechorus-chorus. While Korean GP didn't catch it first, the intl GP got it
    • TWICE
      I won't wrote it because there are just so many ^^
      Nayeon's Pop is also super super catchy. "SOOOOOLEEMYYYY"
    • BLACKPINK
      same, all of their tts. I didn't know about Rose's and Lisa's charting. But Solo and Flower are also really catchy on the chorus.
    • Red Velvet
      dubbed as a "hit and miss" by kpop stans, I think when it's a hit, it really hits. Psycho, Bad Boy (idk the charting on this, but I think it's really catchy) and Feel My Rythm. Yes, Joy's "Kkeutkarerul Nallyo-" part.
    • Somi's Dumb Dumb (also, Idk the charts on this song, but I've seen many people know this)
    • Yena's Smiley and Chaeyeon's Knock.
      I think this is also the reason why Yena is the strongest izone soloist in charts. Because Smiley is far more catchier.
      While I love Jo Yuri, her titles are not as catchy as Smiley. Eunbi is also the same (Even tho some will argue about Glitch).
      But Chaeyeon's "Knock, Kno-Kno-Kno-Knock" is also really catchy.

Well, that are just some artists. Since I haven't write about the boygroup's side (eg. txt).

And just like I said, there are some other things too beside the catchiness itself.

But in tldr, I think, a catchiness is strongly correlate with gp's taste.

what do you guys think?

• I agree with Next Level and Black Mamba, but found the gimme gimme now in Savage a bit annoying.

I also think a "catchy' song is what makes a song popular and likeable but to be fair not a lot of songs are cactchy for me these days. K pop has gone a bit off imo. (No hate okay, this is just an observational view and a view from an older person's perspective). You can't expect a fifties person to think the same way as a young person).

• That's why almost all groups under YG are popular among gp especially Bp, BB and 2Ne1. Their songs have that catchy catchphrase that you can remember and follow easily. If I listen to a song for the first time and unable to recall anything from it, then I know it would not doing that well.

• That's why almost all groups under YG are popular among gp especially Bp, BB and 2Ne1. Their songs have that catchy catchphrase that you can remember and follow easily. If I listen to a song for the first time and unable to recall anything from it, then I know it would not doing that well.

bang bang bang, fantastic baby, i'm the best.

I also watch some youtuber said that YG had this pattern that called "YG Party Chorus", because their last chorus will usually be more merrier or bigger than the first or second

• I haven't finished reading your post yet. But first, catchiness might be subjective to a small degree. Sometimes idols say something like "you'll be able to remember our song's main melody after just one time hearing it" or refer to a specific part as the catchy part, but after listening to it one time you don't remember what they are talking about. I am not sure if it's actually possible for catchiness to be scientifically subjective between people, but it might vary with how much attention you are paying and if you understand the language of the lyrics

Second. If the part that is remembered is boring or too simple compared to other songs it may reflect more badly on the song than if you don't remember it at all, making you think of it as juvenile and not interesting

Edit: Aespa's Girls is an example of this to me, the chorus is memorable but it's simple

Edit2: and the same could be applied to "Love is oooh oooh love is oooooh" (Stayc's beautiful monster; subjective opinion). Actually maybe not "too simple" because many songs are simple, but simply you don't like this catchy part much so you discard it

Play my thread game in arcade

Edited once, last by Help1: TYpo not interesting ().

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!