Can someone explain the Fifty Fifty hype to me

• I heard their song once, I thought it was decent but nothing that hooked me in. Just a simple, easy to listen song. I guess it has a soothing feeling to people. Anyway, why are they creating a lot of buzz despite people saying Big 3 make the best music

• there’s certain kind of vocal that’s easily popular in tiktok in this song because when i first heard the korean ones i can’t help thinking “this gonna blow up on kpop tiktok”

• That is because Cupid has never treated you bad before.

• I think people unfairly deride simple or basic "pop or love song" making, undervalue the appeal of simplicity and traditional song making, and I think, especially, wholly misunderstand the elemental power of these types of songs, especially those that lean youthful or uncynical.

They are often derided as effervescent "silly love songs" or "generic" presumably because these types of songs do not often attempt to dress up their structure or sound with the obfuscating pretention of "artistry" or "maturity" or "complexity", ideas that many associate closely with music holding greater or "true value". I think this is a misguided conclusion.

Simple youthful love songs are often the most elementally powerful as they deal in earnest youthful subjects in a way that evokes the feeling and idealism of one's youth, a time when most can intimately connect with how they felt, the feelings they had, the emotion they associate with an often much simpler and idealistic time in one's life.

The simplicity and accessible nature of youthful pop song structure and sound can allow a much closer connection to that emotional wellspring, and I think gives such fare tremendous value to many.

That they aren't complicated or transgressive, and uncynical strive for a more accessible approach, is their greatest strength in my view.

For me personally, FIFTY FIFTY's Cupid, while perhaps not a straight love song, is in that realm of the trials and tribulations of youthful love. It is moving to me and I find it to be a wonderful song.

• I don't have a tiktok app/account

but from what I've seen on instagram, well there are girls which for example film shorts/reels when they are preparing outfit to school and they are using Cupid as the song

or they are acting some scenes with besties like walking through the city, drinking coffee, looking at boys, and bang Cupid is playing

seems like people are just vibin to it, especially younger ones

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!