This xpop thing is just ambiguous

• As a casual xg stan, this whole topic irks me. It’s like they are they are trying to disassociate themselves from kpop yet they are using the tools & platform that is based on kpop.

I get xpop meaning a normal pop group that isnt on kpop or jpop. Maybe just say pop group instead? But I just didn’t feel good abt how they keep emph they are influenced by hiphop or r&b (not wrong) mostly.

It seems like they want to omit the fact their concept is influenced by kpop as well.

What’s really hard to admit it? They are pissing koreans off for very good reasons.

It’s obv they are influenced by kpop - e.g. training system, choreography, using the popularised hip-hop and r&b into the music.

Once (main), Blink & Fearnot

• And this is one of the reasons why Xg is always in controversy in Korea and rightfully so. Simon/xgalx and Max matsuura/avex (no longer chairman) is to blame for the disregard and untrustworthiness Koreans have for them. The behavior of both of them is to be questioned as their intentions with xg is sort of obvious to those that aren’t 100% blinded by the glitz and glam that is xg while also knowing the shaky history between Korea and Japan. It’s just that Koreans saw through the bs before kpop fans but are now being labeled as racist (?) insecure xenophobes due to believing that both companies are opportunistic with kpop and the platform they have built for over a decade for xg to even be able to thrive.

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• And this is one of the reasons why Xg is always in controversy in Korea and rightfully so. Simon/xgalx and Max matsuura/avex (no longer chairman) is to blame for the disregard and untrustworthiness Koreans have for them. The behavior of both of them is to be questioned as their intentions with xg is sort of obvious to those that aren’t 100% blinded by the glitz and glam that is xg while also knowing the shaky history between Korea and Japan. It’s just that Koreans saw through the bs before kpop fans but are now being labeled as racist (?) insecure xenophobes due to believing that both companies are opportunistic with kpop and the platform they have built for over a decade for xg to even be able to thrive.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

He’s shady and tbh I really think xg is talented and could have blown up more.

Actually I think xg themselves do respect korea contrary to what most knetz think as I watched their fancams and their content. I just wished they addressed the kpop influence but I think its gotta do with their company image or ceo direction. Xg harvey & jurin are blinks. They covered kpop songs too.

What I think is the ceo not addressing it properly or the company itself.

• Who said they weren’t influenced by kpop ?

They just aren’t a kpop group heck I found out they weren’t JPOP either they are an international gg

They mentioned in their interviews they were influenced by hiphop and r&b but it seems like they are avoiding being influenced by kpop. Global gg is fine as long as acknowledging the kpop roots as well since kpop is their platform rn for promoting.

• As a fan of XG, I can see both sides to this.

It's not completely unheard of for company executives and idols to market themselves as "not K-pop." This has happened before, but the optics weren't as bad because they were Korean and not Japanese. In fact, idols don't often reference other companies, acts from other companies, or K-pop industry as a whole.

This time, the optics are bad because we have a Japanese CEO with an all-Japanese girl group promoting in Korea. I'm sure XG members are very respectful to everyone else in K-pop. I just hope that the CEO himself does more to show respect to the industry and Koreans.

The most impt thing is image and I want them to succeed. This will eventually come back to them if they dont properly address it tbh. The knetz isnt hard to please, they just want that form of cultural respect and acknowledgement that’s all.

• I just see it as something to make them stand out, much like what jyp does with nmixx calling it mixxpop. Just something to the press to reinforce how they're different from other groups and make people check them out for being fresh, but in the end it doesnt change much

I agree with what user said it above, politics probably make the issue more sensitive

• I don't tink they deny the kpop influence, the producer was a kpop idol and they trained in korea, they don't deny the kpop influence, but it is rnb influence undeniable, somthing koreans knetz avoid to to give acknowledge to black artists. And lot of you forget newjeans ditto influence of america music as welll as but also music and fashion of jpop of that era, kentz denying The influence of the idol system from, japan. Is Max problematic absolutely but I do not think these girls should be atta ked because of it

• He’s shady and tbh I really think xg is talented and could have blown up more.

Actually I think xg themselves do respect korea contrary to what most knetz think as I watched their fancams and their content. I just wished they addressed the kpop influence but I think its gotta do with their company image or ceo direction. Xg harvey & jurin are blinks. They covered kpop songs too.

What I think is the ceo not addressing it properly or the company itself.

Yeah it’s not the girls themselves but their companies. Some xg fans are just embarrassing at this point because I’ve seen some go around and try to say how nj and baby monster are taking notes from them when it’s the other way around lol. Xgalx was sort of media playing with yge in the beginning (the bucket hats with left and right was cool but who wore them first though? Baby monster or xg?) and had everyone thinking they were yge’s awaited gg and was eying the whole y2k trend nj was doing and got popular with. Their app is almost identical to nj’s but ironically Simon thought it was okay to shade min hee jin and new jeans :clown: Make it make sense. Knetz also found more clips of max matsuura being shady towards the Korean music industry…

• Yeah it’s not the girls themselves but their companies. Some xg fans are just embarrassing at this point because I’ve seen some go around and try to say how nj and baby monster are taking notes from them when it’s the other way around lol. Xgalx was sort of media playing with yge in the beginning (the bucket hats with left and right was cool but who wore them first though? Baby monster or xg?) and had everyone thinking they were yge’s awaited gg and was eying the whole y2k trend nj was doing and got popular with. Their app is almost identical to nj’s but ironically Simon thought it was okay to shade min hee jin and new jeans :clown: Make it make sense. Knetz also found more clips of max matsuura being shady towards the Korean music industry…

I wouldn't say it's the other way around either. XG debuted (March 18th 2022) before NJ (August 1st 2022) and definitely before Baemon that didn't even debut. Saying so is pure gaslighting. XGALX did not media play with YGE in the beginning but a bunch of crazy delulu fans did, because they saw the dance practices from inside the dance halls at YGX Academy in Korea, which were rented by XGALX from YGX for training and filming some of their stuff. So, crazy fans spread the word that XG is an joint venture project between YG and Avex.
    Next point is, NJ is not doing the Y2K trend but rather mcbling one (https://aesthetics.fandom.com/wiki/McBling). XG is sporting the well known y2k Harajuku (specifically Gyaru) fashion.
    Next, Simon did not shade Min Hee-jin, and the reference depicting NJ as a "bunch of kids" is as accurate as possible (I'm also an NJ stan and while they are amazing and wonderful kids they are kids nonetheless compared with XG - stricly age related).
    XG is using the Weverse app just as NJ so yes the app is IDENTICAL lol !
    And lastly, about Max Matsuura, yes he is one of the biggest idiots alive. He is shady against anyone and everyone. He is known as a predator in every sense of the word, with women avoiding him as much as possible because of his rude and misogynistic views (res 1 - res 2) and Avex employees being treated as slaves by him. Not even people in Japan support Max Matsuura. After many controversies inside Avex and many other (including the scandal with JYJ kpop group regarding the plagiarism that an Avex artist made after a JYJ song) Max Matsuura resigned on May 15th 2020. The interview that he did in July 2022, with shades of anti-korean sentiments (or so perceived) was made not from an official position but rather on his own name and based on his beliefs (i honestly believe he was drunk as he is known to be a heavy drinker) . However, he has no say in XGALX artistic direction and the only single real effect it had was to inflame korean netizens against XG.
    Anyway, the amount of effort and work Simon (Jakops) put in XG is immense. As a former kpop idol in DMTN, he knows the industry inside out and has a lot of connections and know-how. And i feel so bad for him to see his work sabotaged by Max Matsuura!

• XG's concept and promotion is clearly Jpn inspired but musically I'd argue they're more blatantly "inspired" by American music than Korean.

They want to use kpop to their benefit but don't want to be tied by it because they want to prove kpop groups can have worldwide acclaim. They deliberately want to walk the tightrope and play both sides

BLACKPINKJESSICANEWJEANSSEJEONGTHE ROSETWICEYERIN BAEKYUKIKA

d5d89d5cd0ded673ad05b4ad8aa66c2a681af589.webpdd50b6cd6932ff0d00806a3981d3928185ee94c1.webp889793cb4f55d557baefb7c564c4b94a3129681d.webp

• As the article said, they are a Japanese group based out of Korea that sings R&B in English.

They are not really kpop or jpop.

They are just pop.

• I think it's better for them to release a japanese single also because after all they're a japanese group.

From their nationality i can say they're a jpop group with international sound, or well you can say they're just a pop group.

Edited once, last by merekede ().

• I wouldn't say it's the other way around either. XG debuted (March 18th 2022) before NJ (August 1st 2022) and definitely before Baemon that didn't even debut. Saying so is pure gaslighting. XGALX did not media play with YGE in the beginning but a bunch of crazy delulu fans did, because they saw the dance practices from inside the dance halls at YGX Academy in Korea, which were rented by XGALX from YGX for training and filming some of their stuff. So, crazy fans spread the word that XG is an joint venture project between YG and Avex.
    Next point is, NJ is not doing the Y2K trend but rather mcbling one (https://aesthetics.fandom.com/wiki/McBling). XG is sporting the well known y2k Harajuku (specifically Gyaru) fashion.
    Next, Simon did not shade Min Hee-jin, and the reference depicting NJ as a "bunch of kids" is as accurate as possible (I'm also an NJ stan and while they are amazing and wonderful kids they are kids nonetheless compared with XG - stricly age related).
    XG is using the Weverse app just as NJ so yes the app is IDENTICAL lol !
    And lastly, about Max Matsuura, yes he is one of the biggest idiots alive. He is shady against anyone and everyone. He is known as a predator in every sense of the word, with women avoiding him as much as possible because of his rude and misogynistic views (res 1 - res 2) and Avex employees being treated as slaves by him. Not even people in Japan support Max Matsuura. After many controversies inside Avex and many other (including the scandal with JYJ kpop group regarding the plagiarism that an Avex artist made after a JYJ song) Max Matsuura resigned on May 15th 2020. The interview that he did in July 2022, with shades of anti-korean sentiments (or so perceived) was made not from an official position but rather on his own name and based on his beliefs (i honestly believe he was drunk as he is known to be a heavy drinker) . However, he has no say in XGALX artistic direction and the only single real effect it had was to inflame korean netizens against XG.
    Anyway, the amount of effort and work Simon (Jakops) put in XG is immense. As a former kpop idol in DMTN, he knows the industry inside out and has a lot of connections and know-how. And i feel so bad for him to see his work sabotaged by Max Matsuura!

I mean this argument doesn’t really hold up because both groups have their OWN apps besides weverse but it was new jeans that created theirs based off the “y2k concept” before xg did who “coincidentally” looks like new jean’s phoning app after their THIRD single and comeback. Just because xg debuted earlier doesn’t mean that they can’t do a 180 and change concepts, sounds, and etc to adapt to the market they are only active in which they ARE doing by the way. What type of logic is this? New jeans is the only group at the forefront of partaking in a concept adjacent to y2k combined with a 2000’s nostalgic r&b sound and soured to popularity domestically and internationally with it. Why wouldn’t xgalx not capitalize off the opportunity to attract those interested in new jeans? Clearly, that was the goal here. The clips that were seen in baby monster’s teasers were filmed 2 years ago but some fans of xg living in a fantasy world believe that yge is highly interested in what xgalx is doing with xg when the company and group have little to no relevancy in Korea. Why lie? 🤨

Max has no say per say in xg’s activities, but his thoughts sure do look like they’re reflecting on how xgalx is choosing to operate xg. Knetz recently are aware of a clip of him once again speaking poorly of the korean entertainment industry dragging bts/army, blackpink, goo hara, and etc into the mix while he was sober speaking with another Japanese man who was either in avex or involved in the Japanese entertainment industry. Now how do you explain that? Simon liking that tweet was also unprofessional and distasteful regardless of the issues surrounding nj and min hee jin. What ceo sits there and does that in their free time ESPECIALLY with a group that Koreans are obsessed over and who in their right mind defends that type of behavior unless they’re heavily biased towards xg? Bfrfr please :pepestare::pepe-narrow-eyes:

• I mean this argument doesn’t really hold up because both groups have their OWN apps besides weverse but it was new jeans that created theirs based off the “y2k concept” before xg did who “coincidentally” looks like new jean’s phoning app after their THIRD single and comeback. Just because xg debuted earlier doesn’t mean that they can’t do a 180 and change concepts, sounds, and etc to adapt to the market they are only active in which they ARE doing by the way. What type of logic is this? New jeans is the only group at the forefront of partaking in a concept adjacent to y2k combined with a 2000’s nostalgic r&b sound and soured to popularity domestically and internationally with it. Why wouldn’t xgalx not capitalize off the opportunity to attract those interested in new jeans? Clearly, that was the goal here. The clips that were seen in baby monster’s teasers were filmed 2 years ago but some fans of xg living in a fantasy world believe that yge is highly interested in what xgalx is doing with xg when the company and group have little to no relevancy in Korea. Why lie? 🤨

Max has no say per say in xg’s activities, but his thoughts sure do look like they’re reflecting on how xgalx is choosing to operate xg. Knetz recently are aware of a clip of him once again speaking poorly of the korean entertainment industry dragging bts/army, blackpink, goo hara, and etc into the mix while he was sober speaking with another Japanese man who was either in avex or involved in the Japanese entertainment industry. Now how do you explain that? Simon liking that tweet was also unprofessional and distasteful regardless of the issues surrounding nj and min hee jin. What ceo sits there and does that in their free time ESPECIALLY with a group that Koreans are obsessed over and who in their right mind defends that type of behavior unless they’re heavily biased towards xg? Bfrfr please :pepestare::pepe-narrow-eyes:

You wrote so much and said nothing basically. The only thing i clearly understood fromo your text is that you are a hardcore NJ stan who think NJ invented hot water and the wheel! As i stated already, i'm a NJ fan myself, and i can't hate on them, but it seems some of their fans hat eon others.
    As about their "other" app, please do show me XG's app! 😂
    "Y2K" is not NJ's concept (again). And no, XG did not "copy" NJ. Not in terms of styling nor in terms of music. While they are both leaning towards the retro vibes, they do have a different approach. However, if you insist on the "copying" subject, okay, they BOTH copy from US music, more specifically black rooted musical styles. So it's not about XG copies NJ or NJ copies XG, They both inspired from 80 -> early 2k music of the states. Stop inflating NJ's contribution to music scene. Their main producer/composer - 250 - (who also worked on music of BTS/NCT/ITZY/BoA/fx etc) gets heavily inspired from EDM/R&B/trap etc. It's not like he invented the musical styles. If you don't know 250, then you don't know that he likes to revive old music styles, adding a modern touch to them (including Korea's early '20s music).
    To say NJ is the only group that digs into the 2000's romantic R&B music is ignorance. Then it means you did not listen to dosii, Dmeanor, Anonymous Artists, KRR, BRWN, and many more. I guess being into south korean musical scene since '96 i do have some more knowledge on this subject.
    As about XG's relevance in South Korea, maybe they are not that relevant (now at least) and mainly because of Matsuura's statement. But things will change in time. Anyway, as stated countless times already, XG's aim is global market, not the south korean's localised one. Heck, there are korean groups that found international success when thier own market ignored them totally like DREAMCATCHER, so you think XG's is going to stress over this?
    As about Simon liking the tweet that depicted New Jeans as a bunch of kids, nobody actually took into consideration that it could be a mistake like. I did it countless of times while scrolling the twitter app. I'm sure you also did it. And we didn't even realized. Just as Simon didn't realize it either. He did unlike it when people came for him. He do follows the social media, and it's normal to do so. He is their producer and involved in every aspect of XG's development (from music to videos and promotions, both offline and online) He constantly shares on IG and twitter XG related news and fan generated content, so yes, he is active on social media alot, which is perfectly fine. Yo imagine him as a CEO who stays in the office and signs papers and that's all? Well, surprise, he is not that kind of CEO. He is constantly on the ground with the girls. Just as Min Hee-jin is with NJ!
    So, as a conclusion, i don't know what's happening with your life or in your life that justifies this much hate, but i urge you to look into your heart and ask yourself if it's sane to do this!
    As an NJ fan myself, I'm sorry to see you go this way!

• I think they want to call it X-Pop is because it is a K-Pop group but with American influence in their Music.

If you listen to K-Pop and J-Pop you'll know eventually which one is which but with XG although they use the K-Pop system, the way they produced Music isn't what you'll usually hear in K-Pop.

K-Pop is usually loud and impactful, J-Pop is more like candy music while XG's music is Hip-hop and R&B heavy.

Also I believe if they identified themselves as a K-Pop group but only release English music, it would cause an uproar with Koreans which might be the same with EXP Edition(All Western K-Pop group).

There is no denying though that X-Pop can probably be classified as a sub-genre of K-Pop

• They are a pop group made up of all Japanese members. They use kpop as a way to get their music out there. Also kpop is inspired by American music or did people forget that

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!