Are companies (YG, JYP) starting to realize the importance of having good vocals again?

• I can’t help but notice the increase in stand out vocals particularly among these new girl groups in comparison to early 4th gen groups, especially 2/3rds of the Big 3 who typically haven’t put a lot of focus on their GG’s in the past (YG and JYP). With Nmixx and now Babymonster it makes me wonder what changed for them to put more focus on vocals. SM is the exception obviously due to them always focusing on vocals.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s always been the most important part of a group for me but if we go by today’s performance standard in Kpop objectively, it’s not like it’s even a requirement to be able to sing well live. Also, disclaimer that I’m not trying to bash on any other groups but with GG’s in particular I honestly haven’t been this impressed in some time. Idk I thought it would make for an interesting discussion lol.

:pepe-shrug:

• Go to Best Answer
  • let's wait until some will be able to find a girl like this one

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Edited once, last by bartkun ().

• For the girlgroups there's so much competition rn.

Having good vocalists can make you stand out if they use it to their advantage.

Nmixx doesn't do that imo, looking at song choices

• For the girlgroups there's so much competition rn.

Having good vocalists can make you stand out if they use it to their advantage.

Nmixx doesn't do that imo, looking at song choices

Agree that’s another problem. Why put emphasis on these groups vocals predebut and have members with great vocals if they never actually input them in songs or have a chance to sing live? Not saying that’s the case for Nmixx but almost every group is plagued with at least one of those problems.

• I can’t help but notice the increase in stand out vocals particularly among these new girl groups in comparison to early 4th gen groups, especially 2/3rds of the Big 3 who typically haven’t put a lot of focus on their GG’s in the past (YG and JYP). With Nmixx and now Babymonster it makes me wonder what changed for them to put more focus on vocals. SM is the exception obviously due to them always focusing on vocals.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s always been the most important part of a group for me but if we go by today’s performance standard in Kpop objectively, it’s not like it’s even a requirement to be able to sing well live. Also, disclaimer that I’m not trying to bash on any other groups but with GG’s in particular I honestly haven’t been this impressed in some time. Idk I thought it would make for an interesting discussion lol.

:pepe-shrug:

Omg! I haven't seen you in forever. Hope you're well.

I was excited to hear a hint that baemon is going to have good vocals. I also enjoy some of xg's voices too. It's really nice especially since it seems that there's a trend towards rnb happening

• Omg! I haven't seen you in forever. Hope you're well.

I was excited to hear a hint that baemon is going to have good vocals. I also enjoy some of xg's voices too. It's really nice especially since it seems that there's a trend towards rnb happening

Omgggg bestie! So happy you are still on here and thriving! I’ve never been better actually!

I completely agree omg. I didn’t include XG since they technically aren’t “Kpop” but girllll they are slaying harder than anyone right now. Legit my fave GG and they can sing their asses off. BM has also been giving rnb realness and I’m so here for it! Totally a trend I can get behind.

• It is actually pretty said that Nmixx does have good vocals and they will never get the recognition for it, because JYP chooses to hide it in their B-side and give them fruit salad title tracks.

• Omgggg bestie! So happy you are still on here and thriving! I’ve never been better actually!

I completely agree omg. I didn’t include XG since they technically aren’t “Kpop” but girllll they are slaying harder than anyone right now. Legit my fave GG and they can sing their asses off. BM has also been giving rnb realness and I’m so here for it! Totally a trend I can get behind.

Yep, still here and trying to help hold down the fort through all the insanity that happened the last month or so. Duuuude, you have no idea what it's been like around here...

Anyway, XG is my fave of the latest crop of ggs too. I've actually loved all their songs so far, but especially their bside Left and Right. I can't believe how full of talent they are. They can sing, rap, and dance. If they were Korean and from a big company, I think they would definitely be contending for the top right now. I can't wait to see what they do next.

• Yep, still here and trying to help hold down the fort through all the insanity that happened the last month or so. Duuuude, you have no idea what it's been like around here...

Anyway, XG is my fave of the latest crop of ggs too. I've actually loved all their songs so far, but especially their bside Left and Right. I can't believe how full of talent they are. They can sing, rap, and dance. If they were Korean and from a big company, I think they would definitely be contending for the top right now. I can't wait to see what they do next.

Oh Lord, if it’s anything like how it was before my first hiatus I should be concerned for my sanity as well.

• Well companies are probably noticing the relatively easy promotion you can get just by having good singers (or just idols singing live, really). Hopefully it keeps going like this because personally I think live singing in particular can really help idols stay confident on a stage.

• From an insular "BIG-3" perspective, I still don't think it's a #1 or 2 priority for JYPE to have a competentmajority of id0l singers..especially when it comes to their lady groups.

JYPE has a lot of crooners within their guy groups. The only 2 groups I felt had singing as a top 2 priority were 2AM and Day6. nMIXX is basically one of the few JYP girl groups who "trend" towards the same..the only difference is nMIXX's team isn't as skilled in consistently curating catalog material for the group compared to

Day6.

I think competent singing is something YGE has stayed mindful of. Their Hip-Hop/Rap competence is so much more advanced than most id0l agencies that it stands out more.

From a "non BIG-3" I think the smart agencies know that a group with a strong singing competency can stand out if they consistently have the right songs, marketing and promotion.

• I don't think there's such a thing as a trend, because hardly ever people debut based on skills alone.. its more like if the trainees fit the concept then you always have a main vocalist and anyone else thats also as good is just a bonus

unless the concpet is a vocal or ballad group

• They should realize that they need "good" and catchy songs, too. There's no point in having good vocalists and not being able to use them properly.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!