Why are survival/post-survival groups more successful, if the people who care enough to watch those long shows should also care enough to keep up with midtier K-pop groups

• Survival group - winners group

Post-survival group - group with at least 1 member with relation to survival show

This doesn't make sense to me, if people are big enough on K-pop to watch these super long shows, from beginning to end, then shouldn't they also be following non big 4 groups?

So then why are survival show groups (Kep1er, TNX, Class:y) and post-survival groups (groups with Produce winner members, groups with survival participant members) generally, sometimes dramatically more successful than just any random K-pop group?

I mean it seems like being related to a survival show should not be a factor, because people who watch survival shows would be the same type of people who keep up with middle and small companies.

P.s. yes TNX is related to P Nation and JYP but for example, Kep1er, IZ*ONE, doesn't make sense to me and neither do post X1 groups or groups where some random member was in a survival show

• I mean it seems like being related to a survival show should not be a factor, because people who watch survival shows would be the same type of people who keep up with middle and small companies.

the thing is survival shows at their peak far surpassed just kpop stan support in sk. i mean, it was well known that kang daniel had a lot of older female fans, like 30+ year olds. those are not the people running around town supporting every nugu artist in the middle ranks. it is also hard to make a generalisation like this about survival show stans because many ifan multis do not financially support every group they stan, especially people with a stan list of 20+ groups. i believe a lot of multi stans of wanna one and izone shifted their financial support from other groups to izone and wanna one at the time.

anyway, a lot of "post survival show" acts did not see much success ( ie chaeyeon ect) because people moved on to somewhere else. so its hard to really pinpoint what the group of survival show watchers really looks like.

• This follows the same logic as shows like American Idol and The Voice. Both have massive ratings, but outside of a few contestants no one really follows them into their careers. It's less about the artist and more about the rooting someone to win/lose.

• DIA, Gugudan, Pristin and Weki Meki say what?

This is a newer phenomena, the post IOI groups were not successful, the most successful one is probably WJSN.

• Aren’t survival shows to some degree just creating solo stans or akgae because people are rooting for specific members not the actual group?

..............................................................................................................perfume

1a8e5b24bf1c6ccaa1e5bd8ca4a707841e1abe65.gif31addbb43f8bc3a9c9e7fff75dd7f232c5839f1f.gifd752226429a326c0a6d90dfff22926c1961158d1.gif

• the thing is survival shows at their peak far surpassed just kpop stan support in sk. i mean, it was well known that kang daniel had a lot of older female fans, like 30+ year olds. those are not the people running around town supporting every nugu artist in the middle ranks. it is also hard to make a generalisation like this about survival show stans because many ifan multis do not financially support every group they stan, especially people with a stan list of 20+ groups. i believe a lot of multi stans of wanna one and izone shifted their financial support from other groups to izone and wanna one at the time.

anyway, a lot of "post survival show" acts did not see much success ( ie chaeyeon ect) because people moved on to somewhere else. so its hard to really pinpoint what the group of survival show watchers really looks like.

Yes, it seems weird to imagine people who aren't interested in other k-pop groups watching through the Produce episodes and caring about the contestants. But I guess that would be like saying people who watch a hip-hop, singing, or dancing show must be music fans caring about up and coming artists, the audience could be more like the general public.

Ok yeah true, there are a lot of post survival groups that aren't particularly more successful than a group with less relation, so you can't tell if the known members really had that much of a positive effect or not.

This follows the same logic as shows like American Idol and The Voice. Both have massive ratings, but outside of a few contestants no one really follows them into their careers. It's less about the artist and more about the rooting someone to win/lose.

I always kind of assumed some members being known helps a lot even if they were some of the most unknown participants on the show. Just like I assume if some famous singer was once on The Voice/TV, then that must have helped them a lot to get known. But yeah it seems unrealistic to think that it would truly help that much for people who get eliminated in first round or no storyline in the show. (just to say "this singer was once on The Voice" when advertising their song)

DIA, Gugudan, Pristin and Weki Meki say what?

This is a newer phenomena, the post IOI groups were not successful, the most successful one is probably WJSN.

OK that's right...similar popularity to groups not related to produce

• Aren’t survival shows to some degree just creating solo stans or akgae because people are rooting for specific members not the actual group?

Yeah, in that case, that would not really raise the group that much beyond some initial interest.

Maybe even hurting them because most people are only seeing one member and not a lot of people actually interested without knowing that member and their whole Produce history/context.

Instead of: no produce member. Way less people know about the group. But they all start with having a fresh, non distorted impression on the group, and observe everything the group has to offer rather than tunnel vision on one famous member

• I dont see post survival groups having much more success besides Ive :/

Yes, some of the Kep1er members could redebut and have some moderate success

But a lot of it could be because of just "a new GG" not just cause Chaehyun or Xiaoting is in it

Ive success is also kind of attributed to being a new cool GG not just having Iz*One members (I mean even if they weren't there, they would still be doing OK)

• because (to me) one of the things makes a group "special" is the dynamics between members of that group

the way certain members bounce off one another and interact with one another

I their interactions which only occur between members of that group - now once the survival group disbands that interaction is gone and one has to have a complete new set of interactions with totally new and unknown members

• because (to me) one of the things makes a group "special" is the dynamics between members of that group

the way certain members bounce off one another and interact with one another

I their interactions which only occur between members of that group - now once the survival group disbands that interaction is gone and one has to have a complete new set of interactions with totally new and unknown members

I think dynamics are important too, but just like in songs/performances/appearance-wise. I don't really think about relationships between members off stage

• I don't mean off stage but rather on camera though various reality shows and bts scenes and whatnot...

Yeah that's what I meant by off stage

But for survival groups I think it's more about people knowing/being familiar with all the members rather than interactions, it could be more specific for people who watched the shows though and know certain members are friends or are funny together

• Yeah that's what I meant by off stage

But for survival groups I think it's more about people knowing/being familiar with all the members rather than interactions, it could be more specific for people who watched the shows though and know certain members are friends or are funny together

maybe but it's one thing being familiar with them it's another to get to know them a bit (though variety stuff - or at least what we see of it on camera)

Moved the thread from forum KPOP to forum KPOP.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!