Why masculine boygroup doesn't exist in kpop anymore?

• What? Have you like not listened to any 4th gen bgs? They are filled with masculinity

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• What? Have you like not listened to any 4th gen bgs? They are filled with masculinity

And exactly what do you mean by masculine in this case? Dark? Biting? Masculinity is different to every single person

Actually i got confused, but i think it goes with BEING TALL, HOT AND SEXY LIKE 2PM

no promo here :uh-uh-bunny:

• I think when people say masculine they meant more macho looking guys most groups today are on more of the pretty boy twink side of things very slim skinny or skinny fit guys.

People like monsta x 2pm or the two kard members are a serious rarity. You rarely find guys that look like BM or Wonho. One major reason is looking like that is a full time job and not easy to achieve especially as a idol. The happy middle ground is guy's that are big as Bangchan and changbin but even they are rare those two are big but not as big as Wonho and Matthew but close the only other person that did this was Kim Jongkook during his turbo days

But besides that yes there's alot of masculinity in kpop just not very much of the old school traditional sense of it= big guy muscles

• My loss :emotionalpepe:

But i think it's the time? Kpop idols are debuting with 14/15 yo and they are still new, maybe years later groups will change the concepts to something more mature.

Edit: if you are talking about BODY then my biggest loss kkkkkk i don't see any bg besides Monsta X active.

idk some 2nd gen boygroups give me more masculine vibe, not necessarily because of bigger body

• I think when people say masculine they meant more macho looking guys most groups today are on more of the pretty boy twink side of things very slim skinny or skinny fit guys.

People like monsta x 2pm or the two kard members are a serious rarity. You rarely find guys that look like BM or Wonho. One major reason is looking like that is a full time job and not easy to achieve especially as a idol. The happy middle ground is guy's that are big as Bangchan and changbin but even they are rare those two are big but not as big as Wonho and Matthew but close the only other person that did this was Kim Jongkook during his turbo days

But besides that yes there's alot of masculinity in kpop just not very much of the old school traditional sense of it= big guy muscles

Its not necessarily about the muscular body

I have just binge watching Infinite music videos

they dont look really bigger or more muscular, but somehow they feel more masculine than today's boygroups idk why it is? maybe its mannerism?

• idk some 2nd gen boygroups give me more masculine vibe, not necessarily because of bigger body

Because they were more people focused their concept and music and personality had the general public in mind meaning they had to cater towards all audiences. This is why today BigBang is still the number one group among all ages and demographics despite all the issues they had. BigBang was a group you could approach and talk to possibly even befriend and not feel awakward about or embarrassed.

Where's as all boy groups today cater to their fandoms exclusively and the female demographic. So a male fan of the group

feels alienated as if they don't belong and talking to them you feel like you are unwelcomed. This is why most groups die out very quickly as fans grow up or move on. These older groups had to keep up with the times and put out content that everyone would like. Not just some stuff targeted to horny teenage and young adult women.

This is why those groups had less issues with relationships and marriage. As opposed to today's groups who will get cancelled for a relationship

• I think it’s probably perhaps because styling and beauty standards (in Korea at least) have changed over the years from what some people would traditionally view as “masculine”. Androgynous styling is what’s popular and used the most now, different then it was back then. (The concepts they use, in my opinion, aren’t what’s determining that. I mean, there are a lot more innocent/cuter bg concepts being used right now, particularly for younger groups, than, say, 10 years ago. But there are still a ton, you could even say a majority, of groups that use more dark concepts.)

Of course, I’m not trying to state that styling has anything to do with a person’s masculinity itself, or that certain things are what determine masculinity, I’m just noting overall how some people generally perceive and categorise them at first glance.

Please note that, as a previous user said on this thread, masculinity is different to every single person.

That’s all I have to say. I hope this answer helps!

• tbh, i dont really understand this

why targeting teenagers and young adult women mean the group has to be less masculine? is it what fangirls want? like i have been listening kpop since when i was kid but i have always drawn more to masculine boygroups. I think the taste is more diverse than people think it is.

• masculinity in kpop peaked here

External Content youtu.be

External Content youtu.be

narcissistic, my god i love it

JCsIq3Q.gif

• As a woman, if someone asks me what exactly is feminine. I would not know how to explain it properly bcos women are trying to express their femininity in their own terms as opposed to the traditional and conservative meaning.

Shouldn’t the same be applied for men? Why are ppl defining and questioning their masculinity bcos they don’t present the traditional expression and expectations of it?

Or am I just thinking too deep into this question? In that case ignore my point .

• As a woman, if someone asks me what exactly is feminine. I would not know how to explain it properly bcos women are trying to express their femininity in their own terms as opposed to the traditional and conservative meaning.

Shouldn’t the same be applied for men? Why are ppl defining and questioning their masculinity bcos they don’t present the traditional expression and expectations of it?

Or am I just thinking too deep into this question? In that case ignore my point .

its not deep

and I dont even know what is traditionally considered masculine in detail
    I am just basing it off on my own opinion ofc its open for everyone to express their opinion on masculinity

i dont even know if i am using the right word, its just older boygroups feel more "grown" to me, the vibe they give

you definitely have a point but i think op meant in the stereotypical way masculinity is perceived

narcissistic, my god i love it

JCsIq3Q.gif

• 2pm Taecyeon :ooo-bee:

Well, masculinity is a fluid idea and can't be represented by one person or even one group. I think you're convoluting "masculinity" with what / who is your type. There are plenty of masculine guys in k-pop.

• most of day-6, minho from SHINee, V and RM from bts

day6 is band so I didnt include them here

SHINee is 2nd gen group tho, there were lots of masculine groups in 2nd gen, this thread is about the recent thats why I said "anymore", particularly about late 3rd gen and 4th gen boygroups

and I agree with RM tho he is masculine, but its kind of rare in late 3rd and 4th gen

• isn't the question then who you think is masculine vs who you think isn't?

I know you mentioned Taecyeon from the 2nd but from the 4th I know like treasure OP so which member(s) of treasure do you think are (more) masculine vs which member(s) do you think are (less) masculine ???

you also mentioned it's not muscular body so what features make a person masculine in your opinion? face? beard? hair? styling? makeup? clothing?

• isn't the question then who you think is masculine vs who you think isn't?

I know you mentioned Taecyeon from the 2nd but from the 4th I know like treasure OP so which member(s) of treasure do you think are (more) masculine vs which member(s) do you think are (less) masculine ???

you also mentioned it's not muscular body so what features make a person masculine in your opinion? face? beard? hair? styling? makeup? clothing?

treasure are too young for masculinity, personally i dont find anyone to be masculine right now

maybe the rap line (hyunsuk, yoshi & haruto after few years)

• The definition of masculine has shifted greatly over the last decade, but for my take on it there are boy groups being styled as men and not boys. Monsta X, NCT 127, and OnlyOneOf come to mind. While they may still be pretty, they're definitely not being marketed as flower boys.

• This thread contains 30 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!