When jihyo had to apologize to fans for using a feminist term

• On the morning of January 7 KST, TWICE’s Jihyo posted a letter to ONCE explaining her recent comment during a V Live chat. The comment was in response to a question about why she was absent at times during the 2019 Mnet Asian Music Awards, and her choice of words (oong-aeng-oong, specifically) elicited criticism from some netizens.

During the chat, she said, “I’m saying this because attention seekers keep [crying about it/saying nonsense] (oong-aeng-oong), but I wasn’t feeling well. You must have been having fun because there was something to pick on, but I’m sorry. I just couldn’t do anything about not feeling well.”

Oong-aeng-oong is part of a Korean expression that first started on Twitter when a user was saying that something in a film was unintelligible, or sounded like nonsense. It has since been adapted by radical feminists in Korea as a term for belittling men. Rapper San E also used the phrase as the title of a diss track.

In a letter to ONCE, posted on TWICE’s official fan cafe, Jihyo apologized for what she said and explained that she has been having a hard time since early last year.

• Imagine having to apologize for using a feminist term? Women in conservative asian countries can relate

Many GG have supported Feminism or LGBT and never apologize for this. I'll let you draw whatever conclusions you want.

But me that's one of the reason why i will never support a group like Twice it's just dolls from a company.

• People get upset over this? Based on what I know about the definition of the word and how you explained it, it fits. Not all of course, but a lot of Onces are guys. She was only singling out the ones who were complaining that she wasn’t there and spreading false rumors about her. Lastly, those people who were spreading rumors were all talking nonsense and it used to be used in such a situation. What’s there to misunderstand? Seems like an appropriate term to use, people just hate being called out on their trashy behavior.

• U cant appreciate women who speak out for their rights and then call other women dolls for being a victim of their circumstances

They are not at fault

Many GG have supported Feminism or LGBT and never apologize for this. I'll let you draw whatever conclusions you want.

But me that's one of the reason why i will never support a group like Twice it's just dolls from a company.

• 🤏🤏🤏🤏🤏🤏🤏🤏🤏🤏🤏🤏🤏🤏🤏🤏🤏🤏🤏🤏🤏🤏🤏🤏🤏🤏🤏🤏🤏🤏🤏🤏🤏🤏🤏🤏🤏🤏🤏🤏

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───
    mKl7Ghm.png
    Flower field, that's where I'm at. Open land, that's where I'm at.
    ─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

• it reminds me of when people demanded Naun to apologize for her phone case having the phrase "girls can do anything" or Irene for reading a book.

I'm glad those two didn't cave in.

The anti feminist sentiment in Korea is weird

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• That word has been used way before feminists started using it. Yes, feminists use that term but using that term does not make you a feminist. If you look at the whole context of her chat, she was not using the term in a feminist way. The people criticizing her was just dumb.

• Many GG have supported Feminism or LGBT and never apologize for this. I'll let you draw whatever conclusions you want.

Every Kpop group is “a group like Twice.” You’re fooling yourself with your undeserved air of superiority if you think otherwise. It’s also very ironic that you pretend to be peeved by Jihyo walking this back when you yourself openly slander these women by calling them “just dolls from a company.” Not very feminist of you, to say the least. :pepe-clown-gear:

• Every Kpop group is “a group like Twice.”

Many group are group like Twice yes, but not every group sorry. Twice is above all a commercial group, we put the visual forward and not the talent.

It’s also very ironic that you pretend to be peeved by Jihyo walking this back when you yourself openly slander these women by calling them “just dolls from a company.”

That's what they're. They've been recruited for their visual and personnality that responds to stereotypes for appeal the general public and especially a male public.

What I blame Jihyo for is apologizing when she doesn't have to. She said nothing wrong. I understand that she is very popular and therefore under a lot of pressure but this popularity also gives her responsibilities what is the message she sends by apologizing for so little? She only proves loud fools right. She's popular, she's a senior in the industry. What she's scared about ? That's just some loud people don't answer them ...

• It's true, Jihyo was recruited as a child and trained for ten years so she could be a "doll" for her company. Apparently it takes ten years to train yourself to be beautiful, who knew??

And all so she could be placed in a group designed to appeal "especially" to a male public that make up less than half of their fans.

Very interesting insight, if u think about it.

• It's true, Jihyo was recruited as a child and trained for ten years so she could be a "doll" for her company. Apparently it takes ten years to train yourself to be beautiful, who knew??

The group was not formed and created when she was 8 years old, the time she spent in the company as trainee does not matter, when they formed their group she was chosen among several other candidates at the age of 17/18 years old so yes they have seen what she looks like at this age.

Idols who have had years of training in large companies and who started elsewhere also exist. The companies and especially the big ones don't make groups according to talent, but according to the image they want to give to the group and therefore it mainly includes visual criteria.

And all so she could be placed in a group designed to appeal "especially" to a male public that make up less than half of their fans.

In 2020 it had a ratio of 51% / 49%, I know that today they have a larger share of female fans (45/55) but that doesn't take away from the fact that for such a popular group the share of male fans is huge in an industry where the majority of fans are women.

• It's always the MMM fans here who say shit about Twice. .

Really? Appealing to male fans comments in 2022? Dolls from a company? :suure:

Like Jihyo is one of the most talented idols of her gen, it's disrespectful to call her(or any idol) who trained for years just to debut a "doll"

• Don't Itzy have one of the highest proportions of male fans in the 4th gen or am I mistaken

Regardless of that, I've never been a big fan of the amount of pandering and fan service Twice do.

I don't think she should have apologised here because the main issue wasn't Twice fans and it was being thread by antis, but I can understand that at that point she didn't want to invite more attention so took the easier route out.

2019 started with people trying to link her name to the Burning Sun which impacted her, her relationship then got outed (the first for Twice which was a big thing), those issues combined led to her suffering from depression and anxiety which is why she was missing from parts of MAMA 2019.

2019 just wasn't her year in that sense. The slave room was active at that time and pushing/spreading anything they could perceive as negative against Twice which is probably the only reason it blew up as much as it did for something so insignificant. People underestimate the damage and pressure that was put on the group in that period and even when proof of the slave room and what they did came to light in trying to ruin the groups reputations, a majority of the kpop community did not care.

Edited 2 times, last by stan12345 ().

• Always shock me how people who dont stan Twice know so much about the group. :pepestare:

• No one forces her to apologize she is the one who makes this choice, others have never apologized. If you want to take a stand then assume your choices.

you just keep saying nonsense...no one knows if she was forced to apologize or not so why are you acting like she did on her on free will. not every case is the same, not every company is the same. especially when the group in question has/had a large male fanbase at the time.

• Who forced her to apologize?

I mean clearly she was told to apologize and "clarify", but that instruction must have come from somewhere.

How you all support a group that isn't even allowed to have their own behaviour or speak their own mind is mind-boggling. Stans always like to say they are an "empowered group" but the thing that sticks in my mind is the hostage-like video of Tzuyu and stuff like this.

More money in the backpockets of good old fundie JYP. How he wasn't run out of Korea after Sewol and people still financially support his label is beyond me.

• Always shock me how people who dont stan Twice know so much about the group. :pepestare:

I don't really stan them nowadays but I did from debut

I get being disappointed/underwhelmed at this Jihyo incident, but the Taiwan flag incident was Twice at two months with not much popularity and zero seniority, making national news and impacting all JYPE activities in China which had to be halted. I'm not sure what kind of empowerment moves you would have expected from them when it impacts the entire company and her family when she was only 16 and 2 months into her career. It went way beyond kpop antis and incels.

• but the Taiwan flag incident was Twice at two months with not much popularity and zero seniority, making national news and impacting all JYPE activities in China which had to be halted.

I take less issue with the apology (I still do, but it's not just about that), but more in the manner it was done?

Did you see the video. I'm not kidding when it looked like one of those hostage videos were their forcing the captured person to confess to made up crimes.

It was brutal and terrible the way it was shot and filmed. Girl looked absolutely traumatized.

• I take less issue with the apology (I still do, but it's not just about that), but more in the manner it was done?

Did you see the video. I'm not kidding when it looked like one of those hostage videos were their forcing the captured person to confess to made up crimes.

It was brutal and terrible the way it was shot and filmed. Girl looked absolutely traumatized.

That rightfully got JYPE a lot of criticism and should never have happened like that but I don't think Twice or their members could have impacted what was happening for it to be a reflection on them.

• That rightfully got JYPE a lot of criticism and should never have happened like that but I don't think Twice or their members could have impacted what was happening for it to be a reflection on them.

That's my point.

They don't have any power. That's why I criticize all the people trying to sell twice as an "empowered" group, because when it comes to the crunch, it's all marketing and smoke and mirrors. Those types of incidents show how tightly controlled the group is, how little of their own agency they have.

• This thread contains 13 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!