Album of the Year, Song of the Year, Artist of the Year, Rookie of the Year. Is this a fair list?

• Artist of the Year = IVE

I don't think there can be a single doubt about Ive's dominance this year. They have WY and YJ, the It Girl of Kpop and Variety Queen, three megahits, two national hits, 1M sales. Even shocking levels of international success.

Song of the Year = Tomboy

Everyone wants to put Love Dive i'm sure but i think Tomboy just swept the nation and had a far bigger peak and still amazing longevity (23 weeks in the top 10 of Melon IIRC). Also, the way Gidle just came storming back after one of the largest scandals in Kpop in recent years...it was the single biggest moment in Kpop this year.

Album of the Year = Born Pink

This will break every single record for GGs and could end every BG album out there except for a couple of BTS' biggest albums. And judging by the track descriptions, it could be another The Album where almost every track is a bop or better.

Rookie of the Year = New J<X||:rolleyes: s

Gotta hand it to MHJ, all doubts about her ability to run a label ended with her first rate rollout of this group. They're still the biggest existential threat to current Kpop, a potential cultural reset in every aspect from music to fashion to MV production. Given how BP was also a cultural reset, they could be the Blackpink to Ive's Twice.

• Fair and generous to NJ

I assumed IVE would get both ArOTY and ROTY after After Like, unless that’s not a thing?

I thought about it, and in reality, you could argue that Ive should get both.

But for me, Newbeans is such a threat that they have to be singled out. Kpop shouldn't be taking them lightly, the things that make Kpop unique like its perfect fusion of EDM, hip hop, rap, RnB, and even rock are all under attack from them :eyes: .

• Everything except album of the year goes to IVE

Album of the year? Gasoline

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• But for me, Newbeans is such a threat that they have to be singled out. Kpop shouldn't be taking them lightly, the things that make Kpop unique like its perfect fusion of EDM, hip hop, rap, RnB, and even rock are all under attack from them :eyes: .

yes maybe idk I’m biased

but even if they did the pendulum would swing back anyway after a couple of years

• Moving Ive to aoty bc newbeans about to take their rookie award :pepe-just-smile:

And BP ain't getting shit, even if born pink has the most sales, had the biggest streams digitally, BP never get shit anyways

• depends on what one means by "fair" and the criteria used to determine such awards

do we look strictly at objective - no subjective criteria

in which case by most metrics IVE outperformed NJ for the entirety of 2022

LD I think outperformed Tomboy but it's close

it's still a bit early for Album and Aritist of the Year

• Are BP going to sell more than NCT/17? Personally I don’t think so. But let’s see. If they do they will ofc take AOTY

Love dive for SOTY at MAMA. I don’t think tomboy will have any chance to win here.

Tomboy will win SOTY in GDA

Melon it’s a toss up. Who knows what internal data they want to use and when.

SMA album of the year NCT/17 I forgot to keep track of their cumulative sales of the year lol. Since they did album and repack I’m assuming it’ll definitely be more than BP

Artist of the Year will remain BTS imo. In all shows.

• No award show can count album +repackage bc it's two different barcodes. That's how BTS won over exo in some early years of their rise bc exo album weren't added with their repackage

Bo has 2m preorders already but no Ody knows how much 127 has...which is weird bc sm normally announce them at the week of the preorde notice but they didn't do that this time

• No award show can count album +repackage bc it's two different barcodes. That's how BTS won over exo in some early years of their rise bc exo album weren't added with their repackage

Bo has 2m preorders already but no Ody knows how much 127 has...which is weird bc sm normally announce them at the week of the preorde notice but they didn't do that this time

SMA album daesang in the history of kpop has always been cumulative album sales of all albums released in the year 😭😭

Not just repack it’s all releases in a year combined.

• Nvm. It's BPhouse. Gave away the album of the year based on "could be" and "might be".

Well, what other huge albums were released this year? BP will have 2 million at minimum and with the way Ktown4U is trending (almost 800k preorders), it's pretty reasonable to expect 2.5 million albums. That will break all the records for GGs and will rival or exceed almost every BG album ever released.

• bts are attending tfma so they getting some daesang there

Not sure about mama cause there was some weird stuff going on between bts team and mama last year but mma i think would also give them something :/

Soty - i think bp can also get soty based on global achievements at mama but i heard there's some beef between yg and mama

Mma soty is ive

Everyone keeps forgetting but i think nct will also get a daesang at some or the other award show...

• tbh BTS don’t deserve a Daesang even if they attend award shows this year because their performance digitally wasn’t good in comparison to their competitors.

IVE / (G)I-dle - SOTY depending on the award show

IVE - Artist of the Year

NEWJEANS - Album of the Year… Born Pink is getting released pretty late and NEWJEANS has 3 /4 songs on the album in the top 10 of almost all charts while Hurt is still rising. BP will 100% take it if it’s based on physical sales.

IVE / NEWJEANS - ROTY depending on the award show

TWICE

30glhdbncad91.gif

• tbh BTS don’t deserve a Daesang even if they attend award shows this year because their performance digitally wasn’t good in comparison to their competitors

You lot have been trying this "deserve" narrative since 2019 so kind of used to it by now. But still.....

BTS digitals in 2022 :

Group with most GAON digital points.

The most streamed kpop act on Spotify (will have more streams in 2022 than any other kpop group has had throughout their career excluding Blackpink).

Most viewed kpop act on YouTube.

And just so you know BTS have never needed to "attend" to win. BTS won the most daesangs last year without attending any award show. When someone actually DESERVES, they more often than not get it. But this "attendance" excuse fits for many kpop artists' inability to win awards so not surprised kpop fans keep using it.....

• tbh BTS don’t deserve a Daesang even if they attend award shows this year because their performance digitally wasn’t good in comparison to their competitors.

BTS has not been "deserving" since forever, wbk.

Well, what other huge albums were released this year? BP will have 2 million at minimum and with the way Ktown4U is trending (almost 800k preorders), it's pretty reasonable to expect 2.5 million albums. That will break all the records for GGs and will rival or exceed almost every BG album ever released.

There's an album called proof which has sold around 3.4 million. Ever heard of it?

Also 17 face the sun is around 2.65 million. I also think 2.5 million is reasonable for BP but it's still lower than those 2.

• There's a judge (aka rigging) component for most awards shows so they can spread out the awards a bit.

I highly doubt there will be a clean sweep by IVE at any awards show, they tend to ensure this doesn't happen. Do I need to remind of you of 2021 SMA where IVE lost ROTY to nugu boygroups ^^

• well aespa has 1B points and 2M sales this year alone but will you say they deserve more than IVE OR GIDLE.

IVE is rookie group period, why they should give ROTY to NJ because they slayed for two months while IVE did for almost a year. They will not get AORTY to them on Mama and Melon Either the trot singer or Beo.

• inb4 LYW sweeps MMA

It's between LYW and IVE for ArOTY. BE'O might barely keep his #1 ULs but probably can't win due to voting/judges component - the bulk of his ULs are from SMTM songs. It already looked like a guaranteed LYW ArOTY but After Like is doing so well that IVE should be able to pass LYW on cumulative ULs after September, uncertain if they can keep the lead until the end of the year. Even if that happens, the difference between the two won't be great and there's 20% voting + 20% judges. You can expect LYW fans to go crazy in the voting so it might be hard to win. Still, it's quite possible that IVE defeats the final boss of K-charts for MMA Artist of the Year.

MMA Album of the Year and Male Solo is already 100% guaranteed for LYW. It's only Artist of the Year that is undecided.

• Army’s really saying proof deserves aoty, if BP matchs those album sales with Born Pink then it should 100% go to bp. And even if they don’t Born Pink will be more successful digitally

Another "if" and "will" argument. At least, let them release the album then compare. Proof is reaching 3.5 million on gaon. So, good luck.

As for "more successful digitally", 27 songs from proof charted on Spotify global 200 and 5 of them are still charting on melon top 100. So again, good luck catching up to that in 1.5 months.

Edited once, last by Amsuej66 ().

• well aespa has 1B points and 2M sales this year alone but will you say they deserve more than IVE OR GIDLE.

I at least won't say "they don't deserve it" if they get it unlike what that user was doing there....

Army’s really saying proof deserves aoty, if BP matchs those album sales with Born Pink then it should 100% go to bp. And even if they don’t Born Pink will be more successful digitally

So you don't want ARMYs to say 'Proof' deserves it while saying 'Born Pink' deserves it which hasn't even been released :facepalm:

The level of gatekeeping has reached new high (in terms of stupidity) smh....

• All them songs are from pervious album. Born pink will be the more successful album. Cry about it

Will still count as proof songs.

Looks like you have also contracted the hardy disease but you forgot the ✓✓✓ mark at the end.

Also, im not as emotionally invested in kpop as to cry over an award. Congratulations for your guaranteed future win.

• This thread contains 23 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!