Pro translator confirms 'Cookie' is about sex in korean language

• just wanted to bring this up as many were saying its innocent in korean

https://www.allkpop.com/video/2022/08/english-to-korean-translator-claims-newjeanss-cookie-contains-overtly-sexual-connotations

Translator Kim Tae Hoon began, "NewJeans's 'Cookie' was the last song that was revealed. At first, my reaction was, 'Oh, it's good too!'. But the more I listened to it, I went, 'Oh, no'. A few more listens, and that turned into 'Hell, no!'."

The translator then added on, "I debated over whether I should talk about this issue or not. Since this group is comprised entirely of minors, who undoubtedly poured incredible amounts of hard work and effort to debut. The fact that a group like this is involved in this controversy in itself is ugly and unfortunate. And so I was worried that if I addressed the issue, then it would only add fuel to the fire. But ultimately, I decided to make this video in the hopes that in the future, companies would be more cautious when dealing with the lyrics of a song sung by minors."

Kim Tae Hoon continued, "Many people have been debating furiously over the 'meaning' of the word 'Cookie' in this song. But I am going to say it straight out. Here, 'cookie' represents the female genital. This is just fact. Those of you who argue that this is not true, you are blinding only yourself."

"The company seemingly told the members to say, 'We created this album as if we were baking cookies full of love'. This is just BS," the translator argued.

Finally, the translator said, "There is no debate about whether or not this song has sexual connotations. It is an openly sexual song. It was written that way from the beginning. In a company like HYBE and ADOR, there's no way that there's not a single English-speaking person who didn't recognize the sexual references. If this was done intentionally, then I feel that the system needs a thorough revision."

• In a company like HYBE and ADOR, there's no way that there's not a single English-speaking person who didn't recognize the sexual references.

you know the funny thing

this logic applies to a LOT of shady stuff kpop idols and labels say, but kpop fans always use the "they korean they dont know" excuse

u r m o m g a y

1e1282e4806e9f6f1080ccc53055ea21c0a98974.gifv6cc52730ebd88d19753cac6a9c1436f129e99705.gifv

• He needed a second listen to pick up on it? I gave the benefit of the doubt at first, but less than half way through there was way too much innuendo to be unintentional.

Completely agree, though.

The Five Horsemen Of The Apocalypse
    BP2.jpg Very-Very-Very-Smaller.gif BP1.jpg

Edited once, last by hammerstan ().

• Finally, the translator said, "There is no debate about whether or not this song has sexual connotations. It is an openly sexual song. It was written that way from the beginning. In a company like HYBE and ADOR, there's no way that there's not a single English-speaking person who didn't recognize the sexual references. If this was done intentionally, then I feel that the system needs a thorough revision."

Doesn't this mean the innuendo is in English and not Korean? Agree that it's obvious what the song lyrics are trying to do, the point was that there are still a lot of Koreans who may not pick up on the innuendo if they're not familiar with English slang/lyrics. ADOR 100% knew what they were doing though.

• The only good thing is that at least it was attention that blew up and not cookie (cookie did well, but after attention blew up).

But yeah, for a most native English speakers older than 13, the song had a very different meaning than what a Korean speaker may understand.

• There were some explanation on twitter about the song referencing an old Korean word cookie CD or smth cause there were many CD imagery in the MV. But then yes it could be double entendre too. ATP why can't they just take down the song and like release a statement and be done with it. It is just detrimental to the fanbase growth for the group.

• tbh i think its fucked up to say this

"The company seemingly told the members to say, 'We created this album as if we were baking cookies full of love'. This is just BS," the translator argued."

if thats what the member's intentions are then who are you to say thats "bs"? i know there are many people that are straight up defensive of the lyrics, but i thought there was a general understanding even in the fandom that this song probably came from an english demo that did use the innuendo and the lyrics were likely reworked with more genuine intentions than people seem to want to give benefit of the doubt to. i hate that no one can even mention food in a song now without everyone thinking the worst...

but either way, i just hope their management can steer clear of this moving foreword. learn from your mistakes and protect the members :(

who's your favorite artist?

• People were saying that Korean don't use food as sexual innuendo at all, but everyone and their mom loses their shit giggling whenever chili peppers comes up. :suure:

• I was on the fence, thinking maybe there was a pathway to believing MHJ's explanation about baking cookies for fans and all that.

But there is this moment where poor Danielle is staring at the camera while singing "Looking at my Cookie". Timestamp is at 0:11 on this TW clip.

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Is this really about her baking cookies for her fans?

• This👆

They bought a typical western demo & reworked it as best as they can but the eng parts are literally crystal clear lol

• Some people were saying only the English lyrics/the translated English lyrics sounded bad, but the original Korean lyrics were just as suggestive, and many people were pointing that out in the comment section of the track's page on Melon.

The people behind this knew what they were doing and fucked up big time by giving this song to a group that has minors.

• no one can even mention food in a song now without everyone thinking the worst...

They can mention food, I mean we have a whole Red Velvet that does that. For me it's the:

''If you want it, you can get it, if you want it"

"(so good), yeah (Keep) looking at my cookie"

"Take it, don't break it, I wanna see you taste it"

"Sugar, got sugar, bet you want some (yeah, yo)"

That's the problem. Not the cookie part, if these lyrics weren't there no one would say anything.

• i agree the "looking at my cookie" part was very inappropriate. but even with a line like "take it don't, break it", who is trying to "break" female genitalia? :cryingr:

also want to add, ice cream cake was also under this kind of scrutiny back in the day since yeri was still young. people have been bringing it up in relation to cookie.

who's your favorite artist?

• That poor group of young girls are being used as pedo bait. A mentally sane person would never be a fan of them nor support their music under that disgusting ceo.

• When they dropped Hype Boy and Hurt I was so happy because the songs and concepts didn't whatsoever pander to the male gaze or the creepy gaze. Then Cookie dropped.

However you spin it, that shouldn't be a song a 14 year old is participating in performing.

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───
    mKl7Ghm.png
    Flower field, that's where I'm at. Open land, that's where I'm at.
    ─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

• I figured that. My daughter looked up the English version of it yesterday and yeah there were sexual connotations. Hmm, probably not appropriate for a group that young in my opinion.

• "I debated over whether I should talk about this issue or not. Since this group is comprised entirely of minors, who undoubtedly poured incredible amounts of hard work and effort to debut. The fact that a group like this is involved in this controversy in itself is ugly and unfortunate. And so I was worried that if I addressed the issue, then it would only add fuel to the fire. But ultimately, I decided to make this video in the hopes that in the future, companies would be more cautious when dealing with the lyrics of a song sung by minors."

The important point

No need to add fuel to the fire but I hope the company would be more cautious

• The quote you're responding to has nothing to do with "the member's intentions." It's about how the company potentially explained the song to them. The company produced it, not the members. They had zero say in the lyrics. If the song is innuendo, but it was passed off as something innocent, the people who produced it are obviously responsible. That's BS.

There's also no reason to give them any benefit of the doubt if they purposely took a sexual song, reworked the lyrics into Korean, and then gave it to a bunch of minors to sing. That's not okay. If you want to use an English demo as the basis for your Korean song that will be sung by a bunch of minors, you pick a more appropriate demo. Simple as that.

• i agree the "looking at my cookie" part was very inappropriate. but even with a line like "take it don't, break it", who is trying to "break" female genitalia? :cryingr:

You most be young.

Stay that way as long as you can.

• im happy that a professional translator madr it clear. Koreans who were denying and the company playing dumb now they will know they cant fool people

• This thread contains 8 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!