What is the hierarchy/honorific situation among the groups you stan?

• I'll start with mine.

Twice - all members agreed to speak to each other informally (banmal). However speaking casually doesn't always mean dropping "unnie" honorific as well, which many people wrongly assume that it does. The "unnie" situation is much more complicated. I'll try to explain:

Nayeon > (Jeongyeon) = Momo = Sana = Jihyo = (Mina) > Dahyun > Chaeyoung > Tzuyu.

So this is an "unnie" chart. I think it is mostly clear, so let me get to the complicated part. The Japanese members obviously refer to each other as they'd do in Japan. Age related honorifics exist in Japanese as well, but they aren't year strict, so Momo(1996) and Sana(1996) are considered to be peers with Mina(1997), therefore Mina never calls either of them "unnie". Additionally Jeongyeon and Jihyo got added to the Japanese system in a really weird way, in which Jihyo dropped the "unnie" with all 1996 liners, but Mina continue to call Jeongyeon "unnie", hence I've highlighted them with brackets. There is a very interesting story behind this as well. Basically Jeongyeon wants Mina to abandon the "unnie" however Mina finds it weird, since she's used to it and she also wants to have more unnies.

Bonus information: they seem to speak casually with other JYP artists as well, since in one of Vlives Sana and Momo called Bang Chan and were teasing him when he started to talk formally.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Gidle - the way they speak is very mixed so far, they use both formal and informal language, though I'd say they are mostly on a casual side. Just like with Twice, there is a foreign influence as well. Shuhua and Yuqi who are both Chinese, refer to each other simply by name and obviously talk informally. The only time Shuhua calls Yuqi unnie is for teasing purposes. Additionally Shuhua has a nickname for Soojin (Jin Jin) who is 2 years older than her, Shuhua quite literally doesn't give a fuck about K honorifics. Generally Shuhua and Yuqi seems to be constantly testing waters with other members and everyone but Minnie seem to be fine with it. Yuqi once said that Minnie gets angry if she doesn't use honorifics and that's the only known case of someone in Gidle requiring honorifics to be used. And interestingly Minnie isn't Korean but Thai, so I can only guess that Thai language is also age restrictive (someone help me out)

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Dreamcatcher: they probably are one of the strictest groups when it comes to honorifics, members would call out each other for even a minor hierarchical offense, which I'll admit, does make me stan less than I stan the other two groups. I kinda like the idea of my favorite groups being very close to each other and not having any barriers.

From what we know Yoohyeon wants to be casual with all members but not all of them agreed, specifically Sua. During one of the shows, Yoohyeon said she was upset that Sua doesn't allow them to use informal language with one another, even though other members want to. Sua then said that though they are close, they are business partners and wants to keep some boundaries between them.

But I am not sure about "other members want to" part either, because numerous times we've witnessed how other members would call each other out for not using honorifics. Specifically in one of the Weekly Idol appearances Dami had to choose a member "who sometimes crosses the line" and she chose Gahyeon for not always using formal speech.

So this is pretty much all, help me fill the holes, if any, for the above groups and try to write for the other ones.

• Additionally, not a group I stan but IVE seems to be very strict with honorifics based on this two videos that I watched:

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

IVE Rei and Yujin in a cute disagreement😂 (The story of their first meeting) - YouTube

• non what so ever

Key calls Onew yongam which means old man, not hyung, he does call jjong hyung very few times

You would have to torture Minho to call Key hyung

He would rather enlist in marines 2nd time

Taemin is just ruuudeeeeee

They only talk to each other formally in sarcastic tone to make fun of the other person

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• They all call Jinu hyung and Mino and Yoon also call Hoony hyung but that's the extent of it. They can't really be that strict about it when the maknae is their leader.

External Content youtu.be

• With Stray Kids, I’d say it’s pretty casual. In fact, from what I understand, Chan even sometimes encourages them to not call him their hyung, despite being the oldest. It’s because he wants to be (and is) close to all of them and doesn’t want them to feel like there’s an age barrier between them. They still call him hyung sometimes, because so many of them are culturally used to it, but from what I see, he’s mostly fine either way and doesn’t really care all that much.

I do remember one time though that Chan (the oldest) was talking to Lee Know (the second oldest) and asked him about the honorifics. Chan mentioned that he always calls him hyung or Chan-hyung and stuff like that, and never just Chan. He asked him why he didn’t. Lee Know basically said it was because it felt weird not too. Like, when someone older than you says: “Hey it’s fine to not do this,” but it’s something that you’re used to doing and do a lot, it feels a bit weird.

Other members though, especially Felix, drop the honorifics with him all the time. Since they’re (Chan and Felix) Australian, they do it with each other quite a bit because it reminds them of Australia, where there is no honorifics. Maybe also because it took getting used to in the beginning (Felix didn’t know any Korean or anything about honorifics when he joined JYP) and it’s easier for them to not worry about remembering or forgetting.

In general, it varies from member to member and pairing to pairing. They do use honorifics plenty, but they also skip them a lot too. I think it just depends what they feel like doing. They don’t really complain about it either. The only time they do is if one of the older ones is pretending to be mad at one of the younger ones and reminds them that he’s the hyung, but that’s almost exclusively as a joke and doesn’t happen all that often. None of them appear to actually give any of the others a hard time about it.

Also, from what I heard, when they were trainees and when they just debuted, the used honorifics with each other quite a bit, but they don’t do it as often now as they used to.

• It's very mixed. Sometimes they use honorifics, sometimes don't. Depends on the moment. I think they let it free for the members to decide. If they use honorifics, ok, If they don't use, they don't care too unless It's to tease each other.

I also noticed they like to use affecionate nicknames to each other a lot like "hyunjinnie", "innie", "yongbokie", "changbinnie" "quokka" "puppy" etc

• Those who don't like talking about charts and doing fanwars, please fucking ccontribute to this thread.

Yall talk about "talking other stuff" yet when something like this pops out, yall have nothing to say. If you stan your group and follow them closely, shouldn't be hard, huh? Please let me know, I am really curious to know about other groups...

• if you want people of specific fandom to comment then tag them.

I already explained the shinee situation

• if you want people of specific fandom to comment then tag them.

I already explained the shinee situation

Nah, I simply bumped this thread to see how many of those "who dont like fanwars" actually have a capacity to discuss anything else. All I hear is about how I only make fanwars threads. Truth is, I make tons of threads with different topics, no one contributes.

• pretty sure taemin calls the others 'hyung' on a normal basis.

I heard it a few times in shows. but yes, he likes to joke around and be his evil self. ^^

e7d1119bd4bbe2a24c5185fd89153163a8e95675.pnj 1c0edef70bd6974f36d15be96d5399a1cfaed76e.gifv c205b019cd8a46c569e9c4e2f04194a2fde39f74.gifv e27eb299e8ce0bafba7649c82fc04d200d42a974.gifv e7d1119bd4bbe2a24c5185fd89153163a8e95675.pnj

♦ visit my aesthetic shop here

• pretty sure taemin calls the others 'hyung' on a normal basis.

I heard it a few times in shows. but yes, he likes to joke around and be his evil self. ^^

I feel like it sounds sarcastic when he does it

• In BTS the younger members still call the older ones hyung but they drop it when teasing.

Jungkook, the maknae, is the naughtiest and he calls Jimin Jiminshi and these days he teasingly calls Suga by his name Yoongi. He also calls Namjoon Rapmon hyung despite Joon going by RM and not liking being called Rapmonster.

External Content twitter.com

They all call each other by funny nicknames like Jwan for Jin or Jwehope for J Hope, etc.

• Those who don't like talking about charts and doing fanwars, please fucking ccontribute to this thread.

Yall talk about "talking other stuff" yet when something like this pops out, yall have nothing to say. If you stan your group and follow them closely, shouldn't be hard, huh? Please let me know, I am really curious to know about other groups...

DUDE calm down

Not a single fucking blink contributed, cause they have no idea. They barely see their group interacting. Pathetic.

i watch BP content with subtitles cos i don`t speak korean, and my native language is spanish.

in my country honorifics are rare. So i don`t pay attention that much to this, but sometimes i hear Lisa using the Unnie with Jisoo.

did blackpink release a new album today?'s tweet - "#LALISA ACAB, aquí solo  respetamos a la POLISA " - TrendsmapID BI****S

OT4 BLINKS OR JAIL

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!