why is male idols plastic surgery more "acceptable" then female idols?

• is male idols plastic surgery more "acceptable" then female idols? 20

1. yes (15) 75%
    2. no (5) 25%

its a pattern im starting to notice where any time a male idols surgery is called into question you have a lot more stans even outside of their fandom rushing to either delusion by saying "its puberty" "didnt you know your jaw structure changes when you get older?" "its bad angles" or "everyone gets ps" whilst with female idols there's a whole lot more people (regardless of fandom) willing to drag their looks with backhanded comments and even less tolerance on their surgery.... a female idol gets surgery and its whats brought up in every post/ article about her whilst this rarely happens to male idols.

i'm talking about both k-fans and i-fans, a recent example would be winter whos videos about her plastic surgery went viral in korea and got her a lot of hate even internationally but the same videos from the same creator about a male idols surgery went nowhere near viral.

LAFBL0s.gif

let us gather around for the lord’s prayer:

Nævis we love you. You are the one who protected me when i was in trouble. MY victory, one SYNK DIVE. I know your sacrifices. Let’s meet surely after the resurrection.

Æmen

:pepe-pray:

• Male idols are definitely nowhere near as scrutinised as female idols when it comes to literally everything: visuals, talents, personality etc. Plastic surgery is but another one of those hot topics to trash female idols :pepe-shrug:

• Male idols are definitely nowhere near as scrutinised as female idols when it comes to literally everything: visuals, talents, personality etc. Plastic surgery is but another one of those hot topics to trash female idols :pepe-shrug:

yeah then my question would be why do people lower their standards for male idols then? :pepe-shame:

LAFBL0s.gif

Nævis we love you. You are the one who protected me when i was in trouble. MY victory, one SYNK DIVE. I know your sacrifices. Let’s meet surely after the resurrection.

Æmen

• IDGAF either way, if getting surgery makes them more accepting of themselves and love them selves more go for it, just don't do it for other people.

most of these idols get their surgery done at young ages like 13-15 i doubt at that point its their decision and not company pressure to get the ideal look. idc about plastic surgery either but it's annoying when its marketed as "natural" since that creates unrealistic standards for both genders.

LAFBL0s.gif

Æmen

• Male idols are not popular? Except maybe BTS? And as far as I remember jimin is often a scrape goat for these PS or troll videos.

I would understand this if it wasn't also the nuguest of female idols getting nitpicketed aswell (WJSN members)

LAFBL0s.gif

Æmen

• I don't think it's healthy at all for either gender and the fact that pretty much everyone does it in the industry creates unrealistic expectations for others and causes a vicious cycle. If it was up to me I would ban plastic surgery from people under 20, the kids look good enough naturally and if you want to enhance their looks you can do that with makeup or whatever.

• Really?

I'd think that male idols doing ps would be more scrutinized since PS is mostly seen as a ''woman'' thing and as we all know - feminine men bad :cursing:

Except its not... :pepe-hips:

90% of male idols have surgery and you hear about none of them having it or if they do its swept under the rug.

LAFBL0s.gif

Æmen

• I don't think it's healthy at all for either gender and the fact that pretty much everyone does it in the industry creates unrealistic expectations for others and causes a vicious cycle. If it was up to me I would ban plastic surgery from people under 20, the kids look good enough naturally and if you want to enhance their looks you can do that with makeup or whatever.

Its insane that they have actual kids getting these plastic surgeries like jaw shaves...

LAFBL0s.gif

Æmen

• i think it's more about if it's noticeable?

i won't name any names but there's one idol that is constantly dragged for plastic surgery and it's very noticeable they did it. and yet, there are idols who got a lot of work done and don't get dragged because they look natural.

i think it's more about that than genders

• Except its not... :pepe-hips:

90% of male idols have surgery and you hear about none of them having it or if they do its swept under the rug.

Ah yes,well...sexism is still very much a thing + that infamous bg stan power

The fact that people still care so much about ps in the first place is so stupid

like literally why do we still give a fuck

:enhypen-chew:

• Ah yes,well...sexism is still very much a thing + that infamous bg stan power

The fact that people still care so much about ps in the first place is so stupid

like literally why do we still give a fuck

:enhypen-chew:

Because people place a higher important on "natural beauty" and think its not as valid if you got ps to achieve it .. that and they can use it to drag an idol down

LAFBL0s.gif

Æmen

i won't name any names but there's one idol that is constantly dragged for plastic surgery and it's very noticeable they did it. and yet, there are idols who got a lot of work done and don't get dragged because they look natural.

I can also think of a male idol who is constantly dragged even though it's obvious he has severe dysmorphia :(

I feel like some of it is the procedures the ladies more commonly get (overdone fillers being very common nowadays) vs the boy groups (some do the overdone fillers but most don't do much noticeable to their face unless it gets botched). Even more annoyingly is that it's often a company thing where all members of a group are made to get PS done before a comeback but again I see that more often with ggs. There's definitely a trend with a lot of companies deciding to do the same thing and lately it's super thin idols with lip fillers ;(

Anywho nobody should be dissing an idol's PS because it's often either the company making them or the awful societal standards making them. Either option is not good :pepenomad:

I wont name any names either but theres a whole boy group who have very obviously gotten plastic surgery but its still denied... it took one of their members taking out their nose fillers and getting a completely different nose overnight for some stans to even consider their fave had surgery. (Some of them were even having break downs about this online)

LAFBL0s.gif

Æmen

• I think male idol plastic surgery is more frowned upon, beauty treatments being considered feminine, which is why their fans so vehemently denies it.

Boy groups doesn’t have the same amount of casual interest as girl groups. The only ones who really care enough to notice their plastic surgery are fans who’ll defend them no matter what.

• I think male idol plastic surgery is more frowned upon, beauty treatments being considered feminine, which is why their fans so vehemently denies it.

Boy groups doesn’t have the same amount of casual interest as girl groups. The only ones who really care enough to notice their plastic surgery are fans who’ll defend them no matter what.

My point is even when it is "exposed" female idols will get more attention regardless, even when the female idol is an unknown.

LAFBL0s.gif

Æmen

hmm, that's possible. However, being transparent regardless would help society overall. It's definitely interesting to see idols sprout double eyelids, new noses, and v-chins between comebacks with no remarks from the fandom.

I've gotten used to assuming that they've gotten something done if they make me feel something is strangely different about their face. It's better than trying too hard to find exactly what's different.

• I wont name any names either but theres a whole boy group who have very obviously gotten plastic surgery but its still denied... it took one of their members taking out their nose fillers and getting a completely different nose overnight for some stans to even consider their fave had surgery. (Some of them were even having break downs about this online)

does it look natural? let's be real, all idols have some work done, it's in their job description. obvious plastic surgery doesn't mean it doesn't look natural

now i'm interested in who are you talking about :eyes:

there is a popular gg member who did nose and i didn't see people drag her. maybe someone's likability also plays a big role in if they are going to be dragged for ps or not?

• My point is even when it is "exposed" female idols will get more attention regardless, even when the female idol is an unknown.

Female idols definitely face more scrutiny, won’t argue against that. But isn’t that again partly because people care more about female idols, especially knetz. Male idols are mostly fandom focused. And their fans are more defensive, ready to push back against any “hater”.

• My point is even when it is "exposed" female idols will get more attention regardless, even when the female idol is an unknown.

Maybe it's bc women are expected to be beautiful from the womb and beauty treatments ruin the "natural" aspect. "Effortless" beauty is held at a higher regard than beauty that takes work.

However, all beauty takes work and intentional alterations and styling. No one is blessed with consistent beauty and styling by just existing. It takes a lot of observation and changes to your behavior so that you attain the style that you like.

• does it look natural? let's be real, all idols have some work done, it's in their job description. obvious plastic surgery doesn't mean it doesn't look natural

now i'm interested in who are you talking about :eyes:

there is a popular gg member who did nose and i didn't see people drag her. maybe someone's likability also plays a big role in if they are going to be dragged for ps or not?

his p.s nose didnt suit his face at all and every member of his group had a similar nose so it was very obviously ps especially when compared to past photos... but now that he took off the nose filler it looks a lot more natural.

And yeah ig how likable you are definitely plays a part.. :pepe-narrow-eyes:

LAFBL0s.gif

Æmen

• I wont name any names either but theres a whole boy group who have very obviously gotten plastic surgery but its still denied... it took one of their members taking out their nose fillers and getting a completely different nose overnight for some stans to even consider their fave had surgery. (Some of them were even having break downs about this online)

The noses are ALWAYS a dead giveaway. I know it may come as a shock to some local Kpop stans but Koreans aren't born with button or super straight narrow noses. We have fry pan faces, low nose bridge with flat noses, and shallow set eyes with monolids. It takes a lot of trainee scouting and PS work to get the small faced, big eyed, small nosed, and chiseled look you see in your faves pics lol.

• The noses are ALWAYS a dead giveaway. I know it may come as a shock to some local Kpop stans but Koreans aren't born with button or super straight narrow noses. We have fry pan faces, low nose bridge with flat noses, and shallow set eyes with monolids. It takes a lot of trainee scouting and PS work to get the small faced, big eyed, small nosed, and chiseled look you see in your faves pics lol.

most idols these days also debut with features that are "in trend" like v line .. :pepe-magnify:

LAFBL0s.gif

Æmen

• hmm, that's possible. However, being transparent regardless would help society overall. It's definitely interesting to see idols sprout double eyelids, new noses, and v-chins between comebacks with no remarks from the fandom.

I've gotten used to assuming that they've gotten something done if they make me feel something is strangely different about their face. It's better than trying too hard to find exactly what's different.

there was one male idol who looked noticeably different between two comebacks and everyone was praising him for his looks, saying that he never looked better. i was trying to figure out why he looked different, he lost weight but that definitely wasn't the reason. i genuinely believe people didn't even think of him having some work done because he looked natural, and still does

• his p.s nose didnt suit his face at all and every member of his group had a similar nose so it was very obviously ps especially when compared to past photos... but now that he took off the nose filler it looks a lot more natural.

And yeah ig how likable you are definitely plays a part.. :pepe-narrow-eyes:

who is he :pepe-hips:

• In terms of social media, all round, it’s a grim situation.

I think women get more grief for speculation of plastic surgery, or even non-surgical beauty treatments, and more speculation generally.

However, I think the cruel eye that is turned on male ideals is at its worst when it comes to speculated or confirmed beauty treatments…. Why? Because it’s seen as girly and unmanly.

The fact that there are groups of horribly vocal people who are happy to shit on idols for their looks, but then turn around to criticise anyone else for not wanting to be judged, is just vomit-inducing to me.

Edited once, last by penepol ().

• there was one male idol who looked noticeably different between two comebacks and everyone was praising him for his looks, saying that he never looked better. i was trying to figure out why he looked different, he lost weight but that definitely wasn't the reason. i genuinely believe people didn't even think of him having some work done because he looked natural, and still does

speaking of, it's not just "glow-ups" that get overlooked. If an idol manages to maintain their features through super unhealthy environments over many years it's likely they have gotten work done. Imo, it's practically impossible to not have negative effects show on your face and body with the amount of stress and effort put into their careers. If they look unchanged from debut until 10 years into their career it's a bit odd.

• This thread contains 25 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!