Is Yiren stuck in China for eternity?

• magazine photoshoot

some interviews for other magazine

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

and all of that with rumors circling around that the big Chinese Yuehua have called Yiren 'in' without even discussing things with Korean side

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Chinese Kpop idols always go to China to "visit" or for short-term activities until they realise they get much more shine, treated a lot better and are a lot more comfortable in their own skin and speaking their own language. They may have gone there with the intention of a brief visit but most if not all always end up staying there for good.

A lot of them have also realised it's a legit career move to debut in a Kpop group before returning home to China for their long-term career. You can get the international reach of being a Kpop idol, gain your fanbase and fame. It's a lot easier than going with "normal" way in the competitive Chinese entertainment market. (Not exactly easy to debut in a Kpop group, but there are plenty of companies looking for Chinese members to break into the Chinese market).

• Chinese Kpop idols always go to China to "visit" or for short-term activities until they realise they get much more shine, treated a lot better and are a lot more comfortable in their own skin and speaking their own language. They may have gone there with the intention of a brief visit but most if not all always end up staying there for good.

A lot of them have also realised it's a legit career move to debut in a Kpop group before returning home to China for their long-term career. You can get the international reach of being a Kpop idol, gain your fanbase and fame. It's a lot easier than going with "normal" way in the competitive Chinese entertainment market. (Not exactly easy to debut in a Kpop group, but there are plenty of companies looking for Chinese members to break into the Chinese market).

most chinese idols return to china after doing their stint in kpop

and most of them do pretty well for themselves...

• I'm not gonna lie but knetz did kick her out with that kneeling scandal and the amount of hate she got for it, i would say she's not a big loss to Everglow talent wise but she was one of most popular members, i hope the group does fine without her

• don't blame her for going back to china after the way her controversy blew up in south korea. this is a classic yuehua move too since they have the means and connections to support her chinese activities.

• Lol what loss will everglow have if they lose Yiren? She was a visual and really nothing more besides being one of the most popular members which revolved around once again, her visuals. Koreans might not have as much of an issue being interested in the group if she’s gone but still being under a Korean branch of a Chinese company is an issue. If they find another Korean company with no Chinese affiliation, EG can actually see some fame for once in Korea. Koreans aren’t dealing with Chinese kpop idols anymore due to political, historical, and cultural clashing. Seems like a lot of kpop fans love to look at things from an emotional and not logical standpoint. I say good riddance… :pepe-tea:

• I mean isn't that always the case?

I think Kpop companies know it by now.

External Content www.youtube.com

• I like how it blatantly ignores the Korean side of the equation, the discussion above.

I don't go to your house and completely ignore your rules and customs, yet it appears to be acceptable for Chinese idols to a) Ignore customs, and b) use the country as their personal stepping stone?

I have a fair amount of sympathy for the Koreans who point out this and criticize this sort of behaviour. There's plenty of non-korean idols who have followed proper customs and/or avoided the situation entirely. They should expect groups that want to come and live in Korea, with the opportunities that it affords, to treat the country and civil society they've built with a bit of respect.

• I like how it blatantly ignores the Korean side of the equation, the discussion above.

I don't go to your house and completely ignore your rules and customs, yet it appears to be acceptable for Chinese idols to a) Ignore customs, and b) use the country as their personal stepping stone?

I have a fair amount of sympathy for the Koreans who point out this and criticize this sort of behaviour. There's plenty of non-korean idols who have followed proper customs and/or avoided the situation entirely. They should expect groups that want to come and live in Korea, with the opportunities that it affords, to treat the country and civil society they've built with a bit of respect.

That's extremely wrong, she shouldn't bow if in her culture isn't allowed, she'd not korean just because she works in Korea doesn't mean she should follow their culture. Yes she should follow the law and general point of views but that's the end.

I would never bow on my knees, I never did and I would not start now because I moved to another country for work, yes, I would make a small head bow to try to fit in but that's the end .

To force somebody to change their own culture just because she works in another country is extremely wrong.

• I mean would you stay in Korea with a hate train towards you/expect you to assimilate to their customs/beliefs or would you stay in your home country where you feel more comfortable? Also from a career point its also smarter

• That's extremely wrong, she shouldn't bow if in her culture isn't allowed, she'd not korean just because she works in Korea doesn't mean she should follow their culture. Yes she should follow the law and general point of views but that's the end.

I would never bow on my knees, I never did and I would not start now because I moved to another country for work, yes, I would make a small head bow to try to fit in but that's the end .

To force somebody to change their own culture just because she works in another country is extremely wrong.

Except what about the flipside of that argument. She's not forced to be in Korea. Nor are you forced to be in country.

Simple phrase - "When in Rome, do as the Romans do".

All this talk is absent of the faculty that there's no reason for her to be in Korea. If you or anyone consciously make a choice to move to another Country, choose to make that country your place of occupation and living, and don't follow the customs of that country, then I think the citizens of that country are quite right to criticize such a self interested move.

If you went to Iran, would you go "oh I'm sorry, I won't hear a head covering, it's not my custom"? Course you wouldn't.

Such a solipsistic view to travel to a country, any country, and go "nah I'm more important than your culture". IF you are going to have problems with certain cultural practices with a country.. then don't move or work in that country. Breathtaking arrogance from any Chinese diaspora who think otherwise.

What a spectacularly insular view.

• I'm confused what are you speaking, i never have been in Iran but i was in other muslim heavy countries and never covered my head, why would I? I did dressed appropriated from head to toe to respect their culture but none of foreigners covered their head and our guide said that is not necessary to do.

A little search in Iran you are forced by LAW to cover your head and thats something else, is not a culture, is law so just like i said the first time "Yes she should follow the law"

Again she's WORKING in Korea, she's isn't converting to korean nationality, if is something against her own culture, she shouldn't do it.

"When in Rome, do as the Romans do" is about adapting to other cultures and behave in an appropriate manner according to how people around you behave not changing yours and do something against your culture. Is about respect, respect goes both ways.

• "When in Rome, do as the Romans do" is about adapting to other cultures and behave in an appropriate manner

This is the point I feel, because you have a different view on the matter, you miss.

For the Koreans, her doing that was NOT appropriate. That is their criticism.

She's in Korea, with Korean groupmates, with a mostly Korean audience at a fansign in a Korean event. It's not the appropriate time or place to put your Chinese custom over the expected Korean custom.

If she was in person, or a private matter, or anything in a personal capacity, no-one would have cared. She chose to do so in a Korean event infront of Koreans. It's tone-deaf.

Every country is allowed to be proud of it's heritage and customs. For Koreans, there's an innate sensitivity to their Asian Neighbours about some of these customs. Choosing to kind of ride roughshod over them is a mistake.

Again, part of the underlying factor is she's chosen to move to Korea, to make her career. Koreans don't take kindly to the perception that their systems in some of these matters (which is very much government supported and helped) are used to build up idols who then move back to their own countries once they have found fame. And quite frankly I can't blame them.

• I don't get why you are justifying their hate towards her. Its not like she has disrespected Koreans in any other ways before. A complete knee bow is considered insulting towards self in some culture. To say that just bcoz she came to Korea to fulfill her dreams she should give up her beliefs that she grew up with like that is wrong. And this was never brought up before until her controversy so how would have she known that they're going to make an issue over it later on?

• your arguments misses the main point it is NOT korean culture to bow on their knees for new years greetings this is something done only to family/elders. A regular office worker does not get on their knees to bow to each other nor does students get on their knees to bow to teachers/ classmates.

• I don't get why you are justifying their hate towards her. Its not like she has disrespected Koreans in any other ways before. A complete knee bow is considered insulting towards self in some culture. To say that just bcoz she came to Korea to fulfill her dreams she should give up her beliefs that she grew up with like that is wrong. And this was never brought up before until her controversy so how would have she known that they're going to make an issue over it later on?

First of all, criticism. I'm not justifying any hate, but Koreans being disrespected because of what she did is valid. You talk about justifying hate - why don't the Koreans get any valid justification for being disrespected. Why does every white bread response here only look at her side of the story?

It appears people have no idea the type of broader societal sensitivities Koreans have to China, particularly given Chinese government's belligerent actions to the Korean cultural community (indeed Kpop). Now I'm not suggesting that Yiren is responsible for that, but I think you need to understand the point of view that your own country has been greatly restricted in it's ability to market and sell in China, and then a Chinese idol in Korea turns around and does this.

Secondly, Idols undergo extensive training before debut. They are taught not only to sing, dance etc, but public speaking, etiquette - all these things are widely taught by any of the respectable labels.

Therefore, this would have been known. To suggest otherwise is to suggest incompetence. Neither incompetence nor deliberate disregard is a good look.

I'm not justifying any hatred or cruel remarks to Yiren or her label, but the complete and utter disregard for any sort of Korean feelings on a matter such is this is laughable.

• So you're admitting Koreans were taking out their anger of greater geopolitical Chinese concerns on an idol who simply chose not to kneel to fans at a fansigning. If the fans there weren't upset, why were Korean netizens? The hate was unfair and unwarranted, and it's not a surprise Yuehua called Yiren back to China.

• Yiren works for a Chinese company who has plans for her in China and it is obvious they don't like her in Korea so this is the best for everyone involved.

Why do I watch survival shows? This!

• This thread contains 13 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!