Everglow Everglow's Yiren stirs controversy after refusing to kneel at Korean fan meet due to cultural differences

• Article: "The Chinese don't kneel" Chinese idol member is the only one who doesn't deep bow

Source: Everyday Economy via Naver

1. [+5,459, -15] No more Chinese idols

2. [+2,499, -20] Just look at her character. This is the risk you take on when you choose to bring in a Chinese idol to train. How many Chinese idols have already backstabbed Korean companies after gaining popularity? How can you see how successful BTS is and still bring in Chinese members into these groups?

3. [+945, -14] I am sick and tired of the Chinese and their Sinocentrism...

4. [+175, -1] Then why does she bother singing in Korean? Why learn Korean at all? Can we please stop taking in these CCP kids and training them!!!

5. [+91, -1] Return her to her country if she refuses to accept and follow Korean culture

-

AVvXsEh56tnQBaz5Q0L6_gOZvEwMuLsBQuUe65kGiq0qZUJBdph-M0b0nptT99-emkxo3yd3YdbZxU1wFHbCuVCE0IjdfwL-IoB6NCmis8ukbqRLYXbCUH14XrXfPJqzYoiILEqKORXlt3kEMNYXLlpcItAFmpsgYpFBfpnes6WBeX9eCfoepMFJOGRVBa4U=s16000
    Chinese netizens on Weibo have been keeping track of which Chinese idols have knelt and which haven't

Source: Naver

1. [+3,759, -22] And why is she promoting in Korea then? Screw off

2. [+1,041, -8] These Chinese are constantly coming to our country to suck up all the goods and bring it back to China... Entertainment companies need to stop casting Chinese members.

3. [+581, -9] This is my first time finding out about her... and I already despise her

4. [+429, -19] I don't like Chinese members so I won't say much but she could've stepped back when her other members were giving their deep bows at least out of respect and consideration

5. [+413, -8] Stop making Korean money and go back to your country then

6. [+310, -1] I can understand her reasoning... but if her team is Korean and working in Korea and greeting their fans in the Korean way, she should just stay home in China. Why is it okay for her to make her money in Korea but she can't bow for her Korean fans? Korean companies really need to stop picking Chinese idols.

7. [+171, -0] It's important to uphold your own country but it's also important to respect another country's culture as well. Just because she's Chinese, it's inconsiderate of her to refuse to partake in the culture of the country that she's living in.

8. [+110, -0] No more Chinese idols!!!!!

-

AVvXsEimhLzXgmpruhikZMuTWmTz-kO2XmVqFa9LmcQdTo2aMchD7CiykCWecd2EIwJ0n4gqVlrYsxFVT6uEhrBtpxINh6PHwGwace-d4ZQbfCxsMg_BR55IUygxYHMnDRxRY9kBODipdBAX4xDwMaYrbYPu1_QJvjH1ZzBPeo1FKifH9oS4aElDE09Rjetn=w640-h527
    Chinese media explains that the Chinese only kneel for the heavens, the earth, and their parents

Source: Naver

1. [+161, -1] It is not wrong for a Chinese person to want to greet the Chinese way but if she's in Korea and making Korea money, she should've just done the deep bow

2. [+63, -1] All this shows is that the Chinese are arrogant and have no respect or consideration for other cultures~~ good going on them

3. [+37, -0] This is so ridiculous to me. You're in another country, making money on their land, and yet you look down on their culture and etiquette? How do you expect to be a star in that country with such a mindset? It's basic manners to follow the culture of the country that you're visiting...

4. [+37, -1] China has a ban on Hallyu culture, why can't Korean entertainment companies start kicking out all of the Chinese idols? Just keep the girl groups al Korean.

5. [+4, -0] This makes me feel uncomfortable. Our country is not China~

-

AVvXsEjAN-AAsHvbL0J5mJFg7Yk780GIFD6BkDWoSaaz9Ysznpv9H4cUTnIkf_xemNEFZQ-uL_DbC05YI4M-zxQSJKH0Wmu-OdOoVfzaV9Eq_2f7ehuXJ4KrVjwgirTWrsRlEMc9jyDNcW1PEDRJtVD-2BeDXjUbg8GAQxKOcBNFEc0qula-6UTgG7D3Wnof=s16000

Source: TBig News via YouTube

1. [+106] There are two things that need to happen for Everglow to get popular: #1 kick out Yiren, #2 get a legendary stage on 'Queendom 2'. There are groups with zero controversy struggling to make it, how do you expect a group with a controversy every year to do any better?

2. [+92] Groups with Chinese members are basically ticking time bombs. No matter how much you trust the members and think nicely of them, they will always end up causing a scandal. Even the groups that haven't had a scandal yet are just ticking time bombs for one. I bet they're all promoting with anxiety because they know that moment will come. It's best for both countries to just return these members back home before any ill feelings fester.

3. [+70] Please, stop picking Chinese members ㅠㅠ

4. [+34] Well, it's over for this group in Korea now

5. [+14] They're in a sticky situation. They can't kick Yiren out because their company is mostly Chinese and their fanbase is made up of 90% international fans. But if they keep her, they will never have a domestic fanbase ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ controversy aside, Yiren's visuals always stun me

6. [+15] The least she could've done is greeted her fans the Chinese way if she didn't want to do a deep bow the Korean way... ㅋㅋㅋ she should just screw off instead of negatively impacting her group like this

7. [+39] She came to Korea hoping to earn success... why not just go work in China then? Or are you only here in Korea to stack up your popularity before you go back?

8. [+117] Why is she being like this in Korea ㅠㅠㅠ

9. [+10] She's already setting up the foundation for her Chinese debut

10. [+3] Isn't there the saying... when in Rome, do as the Romans do? Isn't it common sense to follow Korean culture if you're working in Korea? If she loves her Chinese culture so much, why not go debut there and screw off? Why work in Korea at all?

11. [+45] What's she trying to say? That she thinks her country is bigger and better than ours so she refuses to kneel before lesser people?

12. [+18] Then go be a singer in your own country ㅋㅋㅋ

-

• hmm I'm not sure what to make of this since I'm not Korean and not knowledgeable on this topic....

But the hate towards her and Chinese idols is unnecessary.

💣🎇 P1Harmony 5th Mini Album 'HARMONY : SET IN' OUT NOW!!!💥💣
    b675bae17756d66b1c583cc777acfaac3606736b.gifv7e6700291c446212998eba09549f464a739c91a3.gifv4cd7cc8dafce05255d7d96dfae0cd85dc47c4e21.gifv

P1harmony|SHINee|ITZY|ONF|Monsta X|Purple Kiss|KARD|ONEWE|Pentagon|Billlie|NCT Dream|Ghost9|GOT7

Edited once, last by bunnyviolet ().

• She shouldn't have to kneel if it's against her culture but she should've done a deep/formal bow then at least as a sign of respect to her korean fans and korean culture.

• If it’s against her own beliefs and what she’s been taught since birth, I find it more disrespectful from them to expect her to throw her values out of the window

• I would never kneel in front of any person as well no matter how much I respect them, different culture different values and beliefs

but if you're in that country and it's social etiquette to kneel, wouldn't you do it just to be respectful?

like...i can't imagine a situation where i would bow or kneel to another person, except if i was in a country where that was expected and the cultural norm. especially if i was working and living in that country. idc who kneels or who doesn't because it's not my culture, but seems disrespectful to me to refuse, especially when all the other members were kneeling.

ɪ

cf2178e469192fe5d3974a86c101545f41e74afb.gifv

• I have see other Chinese idols kneeled tho,maybe just bowing wwould be enough

Yh shouldjust transfer her to china if she doesn't feel like doing all of this in korea

• but if you're in that country and it's social etiquette to kneel, wouldn't you do it just to be respectful?

like...i can't imagine a situation where i would bow or kneel to another person, except if i was in a country where that was expected and the cultural norm. especially if i was working and living in that country. idc who kneels or who doesn't because it's not my culture, but seems disrespectful to me to refuse, especially when all the other members were kneeling.

No, I still won't, bcoz you don't need to kneel to show respect to anyone, you can show it with just your behavior. Being in another country doesn't mean that I have to adapt to every part of their culture.

• Expecting her to kneel just bc she’s singing in korean is pretty dumb, and I certainly wouldn’t kneel to anyone even if they’re paying me the entire global economy. However since kneeling is an act of showing gratitude in korea I definitely would’ve done a deep bow in that situation to express the same sentiment as the other members, just in a different way. Standing there doing silly dances or hopping happily while the members are kneeling down aside me would be awkward af lol and honestly a bit inconsiderate, but not a death sentence like some zealous idiots are trying to spin this into either :facepalm:

• foreign visitors are always told to learn about the etiquette in the countries they're visiting to minimize misunderstanding and perception of them as rude. yiren and other chinese idols are not just visitors but people living and working in korea with a visa and maybe even citizenship depending on who it is. i definitely understand koreans being uncomfortable with the blatant disrespect of their customs by people that are making money in their country. like others have said, the LEAST she could have done is bow as a sign of respect instead of dancing around

who's your favorite artist?

• In my culture, we never bow to humans no matter how important they are. Literally some people rather die than do that. It's not like she is making fun of their culture or saying anything against it, she just has her own that she follows. Forcing her to follow their "etiquette" when it goes against her own culture just because she works there is absurd. I am sure the commenters themselves would feel wronged if others forced Koreans who work abroad to follow etiquettes that go against their beliefs and cultures.

lt64IYu.gif

• I see both POV, she has a right to her belief, and also if you are going to go work in another country you should respect their culture.

If people are offended by it, they should unstan and move on instead of generalizing and hating all chinese idols

is there a Chinese gesture of respect that is used the same way as Koreans kneel? Do they bow? Could she do that instead?

As comments suggest a bow would have done it

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• but if you're in that country and it's social etiquette to kneel, wouldn't you do it just to be respectful?

I knew Christians and some Jehova Wittness who believe they should not kneel or bow to nobody, only God. So, in those cases who should give up?

• The uproar wouldn’t be half as big if she wasn’t Chinese. Anyway most of us should follow etiquette of another country if it doesn’t violate our belief too seriously but kneeling seem quite serious. I’m all for being respectful but I definitely not kneel no matter what. Like others said, she should have done a deep bow or something.

• damn thats a lot

The norm used to be comments with more engagement than that, but now accounts translate comments/articles with barely a hundred votes as it brings traffic and fans eat anything up to form a hivemind opinion for "knetz"

On the article itself Sinophobia in general is a pretty underlying theme in SK, especially with elections coming up.

• I know I've seen Seventeen's Chinese members bow, and Handong from Dreamcatcher. I think it's a pretty standard thing to adjust to the social/cultural norms of the country you are in. It's polite.

Maybe the difference in this case is that Everglow's company is Chinese. They might be telling her not to bow, to stand out to Chinese fans or something? I wouldn't assume she's being ignorant.

• Some netizens need to grow up and understand that different countries = different cultures so you can't force somebody to do something that is against his own beliefs.

• I knew Christians and some Jehova Wittness who believe they should not kneel or bow to nobody, only God. So, in those cases who should give up?

idk! i don't have any beliefs like that so i would just do what i could to be respectful to the culture of whatever country i'm in. unless it was somehow harmful or put me or other people at risk.

ɪ

cf2178e469192fe5d3974a86c101545f41e74afb.gifv

• this is unnecessary.

im not supposed to bow because of my religion but culturally im supposed to.

i bow to what i believe in, not what's around me.

this should not be a big of an issue as some people are making it. truly.

• One thing: Koreans tend to bow less than Japanese but they have certain rules and etiquettes that they treasure A LOT. Hating her? Stupid imo but people should understand that when you work in another country one should respect the basic etiquettes and this is one of them in Korea.

• This thread contains 40 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!