So why exactly is 4th gen ggs winning over 4th gen bgs?

• apart from stray kids, enhypen and txt.

I saw a tiktok yesterday called guess the 4th gen bg debut song and out of like 12 I could only get about 3.

Was the list just too nugu and ggs have such a large nugu group too? Or are are there just more well known 4th ggs?

Is it because ggs make better music?

Is because bts is dominating so much bgs aren't really in competition?

Is everyone tired of bgs?

What do you think?

(Please note none of the questions are my own personal opinion and this thread is not to bash or shame anyone)

• I guess girl groups just have more casual stans compared to boy groups?

I listen to so many girl groups and check out their releases even if I'm not exactly a stan of theirs. With Boy groups I only listen to and stan txt and don’t bother checking the other male groups out. If a song is the talk of the town, then I might check it out. But usually, most bg releases just fly under my radar.

• Because there's more notorious debuts of ggs coming from big companies or previously well known members than bgs. All these ggs on top (and the ones that will be like YGNGG and the two HYBE groups) were/are already set for success given their background, the only exception is (G)I-DLE.

. . . now you have mention it yeah that makes perfect since most previous 4th gen have no well known member (for the most part) although there are some example for this for bgs as well tho :pepelove1:

"Out of all the languages he could've spoken, He chose to speak facts"

• I started listening to kpop in 2017 and back then the majority of my playlist consisted of Bg songs. Right now, I think I might have like three 4th gen bg songs in my playlist.

Gg songs in this generation just seem a lot more interesting, as the only thing I associate boy group songs is boring best drops and „dark“ concepts. There’s absolutely no variety for attract a casual listener like me

• . . . now you have mention it yeah that makes perfect since most previous 4th gen have no well known member (for the most part) although there are some example for this for bgs as well tho :pepelove1:

The only ones I can remember of that is close of "well known" are the ex-X1 members, but the group barely existed to the members make a name for themselves.

Bankai: Minazuki

85e1d14897360f5af5426181e6b1e605126ab548.gifv

• The only ones I can remember of that is close of "well known" are the ex-X1 members, but the group barely existed to the members make a name for themselves.

. . . well Cravity and WEi are doing pretty well

and what about trainee a they could work when they debut since they Jo Woochan and Yorch

• I started listening to kpop in 2017 and back then the majority of my playlist consisted of Bg songs. Right now, I think I might have like three 4th gen bg songs in my playlist.

Gg songs in this generation just seem a lot more interesting, as the only thing I associate boy group songs is boring best drops and „dark“ concepts. There’s absolutely no variety for attract a casual listener like me

but what boy groups are dark concepts tho sure they have beat drop but I like beat drop or an loud chorus better than an signing chorus :wellr:

• As for popularity wise in korea, is there any difference really when compared to second and third gen?

Second gen only had bigbang that could compete popularity wise with the numerous succesful girlgroups, and for third gen there's only BTS.

• also, to aid my argument, take a look at the ULs a big3 GG will get in contrast to a big3 BG

debuts and first hour/day ULs especially
    191557-spicefish-gif

Related to korean charting, people who think It's about music is either naive or have a bias against bgs.

As much as I like, If O.O was released by a Big4 rookie bg it's the type of music that wouldn't even see the MelOn Top 1000, yet It was fairly sitting at Top 100 Daily for weeks.

But I think Cherry isn't taking only korean charting in consideration, since she mentioned 3 bgs as exception.

Bankai: Minazuki

85e1d14897360f5af5426181e6b1e605126ab548.gifv

• but what boy groups are dark concepts tho sure they have beat drop but I like beat drop or an loud chorus better than an signing chorus :wellr:

Honestly, I can’t even give you an example because they’re all the same for me.

Back in the day when I watched kpop videos and saw a catchy boy group song I’d immediately search it up and listen to it.

Nowadays they’re all pretty much the same to me. I literally cannot differentiate between them.

• Honestly, I can’t even give you an example because they’re all the same for me.

Back in the day when I watched kpop videos and saw a catchy boy group song I’d immediately search it up and listen to it.

Nowadays they’re all pretty much the same to me. I literally cannot differentiate between them.

damn really what boy group are you listening to for you to day this because honestly there are alots of different between 4th gen groups

• Personally 4th gen bgs mostly blend in together these days. I've watched most debuts and can't remember a single song. All I know is most of them follow the same dark tryhard loud concept and their mvs look similar with the order of scenes changed a bit. Their music all sounds like it was made by the same producers with the heavy beats and out of place rap. It's hard to differentiate among them.

Ggs have more memorable debut songs somehow even when they have terrible songs. I actually remember the terrible songs with unneeded clarity.

• damn really what boy group are you listening to for you to day this because honestly there are alots of different between 4th gen groups

Nowadays I only listen to BTS and EXO, but back in the day it used to be a lot of bgs. I just lost interest in them. I find girlgroups and their fandoms more fun tbh.

• Nowadays I only listen to BTS and EXO, but back in the day it used to be a lot of bgs. I just lost interest in them. I find girlgroups and their fandoms more fun tbh.

. . . really only those two damn that kinda an L lmao

beside there are groups like EPEX that are very good :pepemusic:

• . . . really only those two damn that kinda an L lmao

beside there are groups like EPEX that are very good :pepemusic:

I‘m a girl group stan, what can I say? It’s sweet of you to recommend a group but I doubt I’ll listen to them, seeing that I don’t even bother to check out big boy groups.

Edit: I also forgot to mention that I listen to NCT U and 127. But that’s it

• I guess girl groups just have more casual stans compared to boy groups?

I listen to so many girl groups and check out their releases even if I'm not exactly a stan of theirs. With Boy groups I only listen to and stan txt and don’t bother checking the other male groups out. If a song is the talk of the town, then I might check it out. But usually, most bg releases just fly under my radar.

oh I can relate to this. The question then I guess is why isn't bg songs the talk of the town?

• oh I can relate to this. The question then I guess is why isn't bg songs the talk of the town?

because their music is mostly just loud and experimental. you don't always need to be in leather and harnesses and have your abs out and be all cool... i get that these things are huge stan magnets but there's only so much of that we can take and almost all of the boy groups just come out with the same genre of music and concepts and hard hitting choreo (to non-fans this is what it feels like tbh). there's barely any variety! bwl is one of bts' biggest hits because it's fresh and pink and nice yk. this is why girl groups do well! their music is pleasant on the ears (mostly), their outfits are dope and their chores are fun to follow along for fans and non-fans. I just wish we'd see more variety soon. this cool and edgy concept needs to go away asap

• Because there's more notorious debuts of ggs coming from big companies or previously well known members than bgs. All these ggs on top (and the ones that will be like YGNGG and the two HYBE groups) were/are already set for success given their background, the only exception is (G)I-DLE.

That's interesting! Do you think bgs would be from similar big named companies would be given the same hype? I guess it can be said that those bgs have debuted already ala txt

• I like this one the best. I agree. Ggs are also marketed differently to bgs. Like many have mentioned ggs have always had more hype with casual listeners.

I don't think it has anything to do with music either.

• because their music is mostly just loud and experimental. you don't always need to be in leather and harnesses and have your abs out and be all cool... i get that these things are huge stan magnets but there's only so much of that we can take and almost all of the boy groups just come out with the same genre of music and concepts and hard hitting choreo (to non-fans this is what it feels like tbh). there's barely any variety! bwl is one of bts' biggest hits because it's fresh and pink and nice yk. this is why girl groups do well! their music is pleasant on the ears (mostly), their outfits are dope and their chores are fun to follow along for fans and non-fans. I just wish we'd see more variety soon. this cool and edgy concept needs to go away asap

hmm I have to disagree. If you look for them there are plenty of varied concepts bgs are doing. They just aren't getting the hype to put them on people's radar.

I'd listen to kpop randomly on spotify and I'd randomly hear a cool bg song.

I think the optics are just not working for 4th gen bgs. So everyone suffers.

• It has always been this, BigBang and BTS are anomaly

But now its getting even more obvious, if u look at it in 4th gen recent years boygroups vocal talent gone down a lot, if we look at 2nd gen groups there were plenty of groups who had amazing vocals, but now for boygroups everything is almost rap, hip hop, and since touring is their major income source they will release more intense performance based songs, in the result those songs are not favourable for general public or casual fans to listen to

But if u look at girlgroups, vocal talent has been consistent, we have lots of girlgroups that has great vocals these days if not great at least very pleasant to listen to, people always like to listen female voices as it sounds more soft and melodic, so their songs are always favourable to general public and casual fans, also since girlgroups top income source is endorsements, cfs etc, companies focus more on visuals, in the end kpop fans love to talk about visuals so every new girlgroup debuts people flock to talk if A visual defeats B or not etc. They usually get more interest from general public and casual fans because of the visual and aesthetic aspect. Also there are so many hitmaker producers for girlgroups so they are more likely to get hits.

Also in general people have prejudice against pop boygroups as they are often percieved as idol of some hormonanlly frustrated teen girls, so not everyone consider them serious. Also there are so many girlgroup stans who hates men and everything men does. They spend all of their time dragging boygroups. While girlgroups are favourable toward every demographic.

And its because of boygroups fans themselves, boygroups fans are more dedicated and loyal compared to girlgroup fans, so they won't check out or listen other boygroups if they think those are competitors to their faves. And boygroup fans bully multis and casuals, call them fake fans etc a lot. They themselves drive away lots of people from their own fandom because of some petty reasons. This is big barrier for boygroups to get more fans, public appeal and get casuals. But if u see girlgroup fans usually casually listen other girlgroups a lot even they are rival to their faves.

• I'm under the impression that gg stans are more multifandom like they stan a lot of ggs and casually listen to a lot of them casually, meanwhile i have seem a lot of ''bg stans'' have their fav bg as their ult group above everyone else but casually listen to more ggs than bgs, that's my case too lol BTS is the only group i stan but i still casually listen to a bigger number of ggs than bgs.

• It has always been this, BigBang and BTS are anomaly

But now its getting even more obvious, if u look at it in 4th gen recent years boygroups vocal talent gone down a lot, if we look at 2nd gen groups there were plenty of groups who had amazing vocals, but now for boygroups everything is almost rap, hip hop, and since touring is their major income source they will release more intense performance based songs, in the result those songs are not favourable for general public or casual fans to listen to

But if u look at girlgroups, vocal talent has been consistent, we have lots of girlgroups that has great vocals these days if not great at least very pleasant to listen to, people always like to listen female voices as it sounds more soft and melodic, so their songs are always favourable to general public and casual fans, also since girlgroups top income source is endorsements, cfs etc, companies focus more on visuals, in the end kpop fans love to talk about visuals so every new girlgroup debuts people flock to talk if A visual defeats B or not etc. They usually get more interest from general public and casual fans because of the visual and aesthetic aspect. Also there are so many hitmaker producers for girlgroups so they are more likely to get hits.

Also in general people have prejudice against pop boygroups as they are often percieved as idol of some hormonanlly frustrated teen girls, so not everyone consider them serious. Also there are so many girlgroup stans who hates men and everything men does. They spend all of their time dragging boygroups. While girlgroups are favourable toward every demographic.

And its because of boygroups fans themselves, boygroups fans are more dedicated and loyal compared to girlgroup fans, so they won't check out or listen other boygroups if they think those are competitors to their faves. And boygroup fans bully multis and casuals, call them fake fans etc a lot. They themselves drive away lots of people from their own fandom because of some petty reasons. This is big barrier for boygroups to get more fans, public appeal and get casuals. But if u see girlgroup fans usually casually listen other girlgroups a lot even they are rival to their faves.

Good points!

• This thread contains one more post that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!