Do you think girl groups are outdoing boy groups in 4th gen?

• 4th gen girl groups offer a wide variety of concepts, Stayc, Ive, Aespa, Itzy, Kep1er, Nmixx and upcoming groups like Lessarafim offer a range of music and concepts, from high teen to ethnic to girl crush to magical. Not to mention many girl groups have had hits with the public already, and even though boy groups still lead in sales and probably Spotify streams, Aespa is getting great sales and Ive song is doing great on Spotify. Do you think boy groups need to step up their game? I don’t see any 4th gen boy groups generating hype or conversation like Aespa does. Is there something lacking in boy groups?

Some songs:

Girl groups:

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Boy groups:

• i can't think of a recent 4th gen bg debut aside from enhypen that i started stanning so pretty much yes.

im hoping that 2022 will bring more boy groups that i see worth stanning.

142362-seulgi-nodding-pout-gif

• You said boy groups are outselling girl groups so how are girl groups outdoing boy groups?

If you prefer the concepts of girl groups then that’s a matter of taste and opinion really.

Vachirawit “Bright” Chivaaree can get it every day all day all week every month all year for a lifetime.

4ca3c94a140c38326868f624c2d5d1b062af8138.gifv

• You said boy groups are outselling girl groups so how are girl groups outdoing boy groups?

If you prefer the concepts of girl groups then that’s a matter of taste and opinion really.

I’m saying that the only part where girl groups lack is album sales, yet they’re improving fast with that. The area where boy groups lack is public hits, but they’re not improving in that area at all, they seem to be doing worse. How can girl groups be improving at every area yet boy groups can’t do the same?

Like in 3rd gen , there may be 3 girl groups with sales more than 100,000, but now there are like 6 or 7 groups with sales more than that. But no 4th gen boy groups can even get into Melon top 10, let alone outdo Exo, Bts, Seventeen?

• I’m saying that the only part where girl groups lack is album sales, yet they’re improving fast with that. The area where boy groups lack is public hits, but they’re not improving in that area at all, they seem to be doing worse. How can girl groups be improving at every area yet boy groups can’t do the same?

Everyone is improving in both areas as the kpop fandom in general is getting bigger. As for public hits, what do you mean by public hits? Does public opinion really matter if it doesn’t translate into actual sales?

Vachirawit “Bright” Chivaaree can get it every day all day all week every month all year for a lifetime.

• Ethnic hip? I think that’s how Soyeon describes G idle music and since Ive song is Indian influenced they say its also ethnic hip

the people composing the song said that? idk if i can see the difference because im from both backgrounds but i see arabian influence rather than indian.

• Everyone is improving in both areas as the kpop fandom in general is getting bigger. As for public hits, what do you mean by public hits? Does public opinion really matter if it doesn’t translate into actual sales?

i think OPs point it that 4th gen girl groups are just doing in general at the moment, which isn't really wrong if you think about it. i can name a lot more recently debut successful girlgroups than boygroups. however, that does not mean im trying to cancel out the success of groups like ateez, stray kids, txt, enhypen etc.

• I’m saying that the only part where girl groups lack is album sales, yet they’re improving fast with that. The area where boy groups lack is public hits, but they’re not improving in that area at all, they seem to be doing worse. How can girl groups be improving at every area yet boy groups can’t do the same?

Like in 3rd gen , there may be 3 girl groups with sales more than 100,000, but now there are like 6 or 7 groups with sales more than that. But no 4th gen boy groups can even get into Melon top 10, let alone outdo Exo, Bts, Seventeen?

Melon is literallt just one chart…

As for album sales for 2021. NCT 127, NCT Dream, TXT, Enhypen, Treasure, Ateez, Astro, etc etc have all sold minimum 300k+ an album.

i think OPs point it that 4th gen girl groups are just doing in general at the moment, which isn't really wrong if you think about it. i can name a lot more recently debut successful girlgroups than boygroups. however, that does not mean im trying to cancel out the success of groups like ateez, stray kids, txt, enhypen etc.

I’m not saying they aren’t doing well. It’s just weird to say they’re outdoing boy groups.

• I’m not saying they aren’t doing well. It’s just weird to say they’re outdoing boy groups.

akp titles are always clickbaity and trippy LOL

though, like i said, in the aspects i elaborated on- i agree with the title. they're currently outdoing goygroups in terms of relevance in general. I've seen boy group debuts talked about on here but there are probably like two people ACTUALLY keeping up with the ones that have recently or have yet to debut. whereas, a larger number of people (me included) have been keeping up and staying updated with newer debut girl groups like kep1er, ive, aespa.

there's just no attraction to boy groups these days, and i have yet to see a boy group that has debut in 2021 onward that has caught my attention and makes me want to pay attention to them. newer girl groups just have that rn i guess

:wellr:

Considering Exo and seventeen didn’t get into the top 10 with their cbs last year either, no shit other bgs cant. Bg charting is relatively poor across the board but to say the 4th gen bgs aren’t improving there is actually just a lie. The bgs still clear in sales and Spotify streams

• I pay attention mostly to girl groups, so my answers will always be biased and a resounding yes.

I have to say though, 4th gen boy groups are doing well in sales and fandom numbers. The only thing lacking is charting which only top bgs like bts selling and charting high at the same time.

• I have to kinda agree with this. Ggs are generally doing better than bgs overall currently

Boys groups are doing better in sales but doing worse in digitals over the years whiles girl groups are still doing good in digitals but also improving in album sales.

It's a really interesting phenomenon. I would like to see how 4th gen pans out over the next couple of years

• personally, girlgroups from 4th gen are completly outdoing their bg counterparts. from visuals to talents to concepts, everything, i find them way more interesting and appealing

based on success, I also agree the ggs are doing better because if we go by comparisons, both sides are improving their international streams and physicals, but bgs are doing worse than ever in korea while ggs are able to keep the success from the 2nd and 3rd gen. just like recently we got 4th ggs having more hits and outselling some older ggs, no 4th bg is able to outchart the 2nd/3rd gen bg releases from last year or even outsell them physically

• Girl groups are only washing boy groups in Korea, thanks to their digitals and gp recognition. Outside Korea, boy groups are the ones leading. Boy groups have better sales, bigger fandoms, more streams, better charting internationally. The only thing ggs are leading in is charting in Korea because internationally, they chart worse than bgs.

The only girl group which is actually doing great in digitals, sales and has a chance to grow more popular internationally is aespa. I don't see any other current 4th gen gg surpassing any of the top 4th gen bg in anything.

Speaking about music though, having in mind it's only two 4th gen bgs whose music I fully enjoy then yeah, ggs release the better music. But it's always been that way for me, even in third gen

• I think it’s a matter of personal taste. I dont find any 4th gen gg interesting at all. Blackpink is the only interesting kpop gg for me.

Digital charting, in Korea — yes, this is being dominated by GG . But globally, it’s still BG based on Spotify streams, BB US/Japan even in Europe.

In physical sales, fandom size, people who know them outside Korea— it’s still boy groups’ world. I think gg market are mostly concentrated in Korea while it’s global for BG. This is the reason why BG usually last longer than GG. GP in Korea usually losts interest after 2-3 years & look for new /younger gg to support.

About outselling/outcharting 3rd gen, who can do that againts BTS? And BP did not even release any album yet for 2 yrs nor are they even active as a group. That opens up opportunities for new gg. But Enhypen /Straykids were able to become a million seller ( Gaon) as the only 4th gen to do it and only quite a few from 3rd gen were able to do it. EN as the onlt 4th gen to surpass 1 Million sales in Hanteo. In spotify , Skz and EN ranked 1st & 3rd on having the most monthly listeners from 4th Gen. Spotify is one of the ways to measure their relevance outside Korea.We are not even discussing BB, Oricon and other relevant charts in Europe.

personally, girlgroups from 4th gen are completly outdoing their bg counterparts. from visuals to talents to concepts, everything, i find them way more interesting and appealing

based on success, I also agree the ggs are doing better because if we go by comparisons, both sides are improving their international streams and physicals, but bgs are doing worse than ever in korea while ggs are able to keep the success from the 2nd and 3rd gen. just like recently we got 4th ggs having more hits and outselling some older ggs, no 4th bg is able to outchart the 2nd/3rd gen bg releases from last year or even outsell them physically

• even if we take bts out of consideration (when i wrote that comment i did) none of 4th gen are outselling nct units or seventeen. exo sold about the same as skz and enhypen despite their hiatus. while all of them outcharted 4th gen bgs easily and even 2nd gen bgs that came back in 2021 did (shinee,highlight,2pm,2am)

you don't see the same happening with ggs. aespa outcharted all ggs in 2021, while stayc and ive had bigger hits that 3rd and 2nd gen ggs with the exception of oh my girl. aespa and itzy sold the best among ggs after twice. even if bp comes back, both groups are now top 4 best seller ggs. meanwhile bg top 5 rankings are still full of 3rd gen: bts, seventeen, nct 127, nct dream and nct.

• And why do they need to outchart or outsell 3rd Gen BG? I think it only proves my point that boy groups last longer . And GP’s interest on GG will usually change after 2-3 years. Like top 10 best seller are all boygroups plus Twice. The topic is 4th gen GG outdoing 4th gen BG not 3rd gen vs 4th Gen. Even if 3rd gen BG are still doing well, it has nothing to do with 4th BG doing well too in comparison with 4th Gen GG. But I agree that aespa has a chance to do well internationally too and I dont even like them. Rest — lets see if they can chart outside Korea to see their relevance globally after a year or so.

even if we take bts out of consideration (when i wrote that comment i did) none of 4th gen are outselling nct units or seventeen. exo sold about the same as skz and enhypen despite their hiatus. while all of them outcharted 4th gen bgs easily and even 2nd gen bgs that came back in 2021 did (shinee,highlight,2pm,2am)

you don't see the same happening with ggs. aespa outcharted all ggs in 2021, while stayc and ive had bigger hits that 3rd and 2nd gen ggs with the exception of oh my girl. aespa and itzy sold the best among ggs after twice. even if bp comes back, both groups are now top 4 best seller ggs. meanwhile bg top 5 rankings are still full of 3rd gen: bts, seventeen, nct 127, nct dream and nct.

• Where do bgs have bigger streams? Definitely not on yt. Ggs destroy bgs on yt. Are u all talking about bsides? Even on Spotify gg titles do better than bg titles.

Bgs don't have great longevity on Spotify global either.

YIREN

e2ab9f65c50ad7b933ecb52f941f1493d96d8704.gifv fab59363da33ef51baa656716577e60cdb9b2fd2.gifv 084b4b1830b2175bbfe169388158c289cc0b861f.gifv 9a71235e38fac2f4f9e1daf62b01efee6e4923bf.gifv e2ab9f65c50ad7b933ecb52f941f1493d96d8704.gifv

• And why do they need to outchart or outsell 3rd Gen BG? I think it only proves my point that boy groups last longer . And GP’s interest on GG will usually change after 2-3 years. Like top 10 best seller are all boygroups plus Twice. The topic is 4th gen GG outdoing 4th gen BG not 3rd gen vs 4th Gen. Even if 3rd gen BG are still doing well, it has nothing to do with 4th BG doing well too in comparison with 4th Gen GG. But I agree that aespa has a chance to do well internationally too and I dont even like them. Rest — lets see if they can chart outside Korea to see their relevance globally after a year or so.

like any bg outside of bts has any relevance globally lol

my point is that 4th gg are able to beat their direct competition: older ggs, while 4th gen bgs can't do that, and that means a lot when it comes to their success

nobody is expecting ggs to outsell bgs , that has never happened outside of snsd having the best selling album in 2011. but if they are doing better than the older groups, keeping alive the digital and cfs market, selling better physically each year, having it girls, etc while the bgs aren't keeping the digital and cfs market at all, are selling better than some older bgs but can't enter the top 5 best sellers, have no relevant idol in korea, etc that does mean the girls are outdoing the boys, in my opinion.

• Well , at least 4th BG are more relevant than 4th GG globally. Why are we even talking about BTS? No one is even closer to them - not the GG or BG.

Again, proves my point that GG relevance will only last 2-3 yrs and another younger GG will beat them. It’s different for BG. Since they have bigger fandom globally, loyal supporters , they tend to last longer and build their career better. So my opinion, GG is better in Korea while globally it’s BG. Globally is bigger than Korea reason why they have bigger fandom & physical sales.

like any bg outside of bts has any relevance globally lol

my point is that 4th gg are able to beat their direct competition: older ggs, while 4th gen bgs can't do that, and that means a lot when it comes to their success

nobody is expecting ggs to outsell bgs , that has never happened outside of snsd having the best selling album in 2011. but if they are doing better than the older groups, keeping alive the digital and cfs market, selling better physically each year, having it girls, etc while the bgs aren't keeping the digital and cfs market at all, are selling better than some older bgs but can't enter the top 5 best sellers, have no relevant idol in korea, etc that does mean the girls are outdoing the boys, in my opinion.

• YT is not organic due to ads. Looking at the likes are better. Overall total streams and monthly listeners in Spotify ,it is still boygroups. Other charting - BB, Oricon, Europe . Still BG.

Where do bgs have bigger streams? Definitely not on yt. Ggs destroy bgs on yt. Are u all talking about bsides? Even on Spotify gg titles do better than bg titles.

Bgs don't have great longevity on Spotify global either.

• Aespa - yes but not the whole 4th Gen girl group.

not sure why they keep saying 4th gen gg are doing better than boy groups based on what? streams?

boygroups have outsold girl groups in albums by a LONG SHOT. which is what truly counts at the end of the day.

saying a girlgroup selling 100k is really sad when these new boygroups are hitting 300k, 400k, 600k, 1million albums….

• And i also dont understand the obession with K-charting ( melon in particular) like it’s the beginning & end of everything. It’s just one platform that no one else cares if you are not Korean. Who cares if GP in Korea do not like BG in general except BTS? All BG core fandom are most likely outside Korea anyways . So okay - Korea belongs to GG while the rest of the world to BG . 😂

• YT is not organic due to ads. Looking at the likes are better. Overall total streams and monthly listeners in Spotify ,it is still boygroups. Other charting - BB, Oricon, Europe . Still BG.

Lol. Even without ads many ggs do better on yt. This ad argument is stupid because after some weeks the ads stop and we can see the real longevity of the songs. BB and oricon album charts? I think we established that bgs do well in album sales and also the foreign album charting charting is pretty much just hybe bgs? Now if we again consider song charts bgs fall off.

YIREN

e2ab9f65c50ad7b933ecb52f941f1493d96d8704.gifv fab59363da33ef51baa656716577e60cdb9b2fd2.gifv 084b4b1830b2175bbfe169388158c289cc0b861f.gifv 9a71235e38fac2f4f9e1daf62b01efee6e4923bf.gifv e2ab9f65c50ad7b933ecb52f941f1493d96d8704.gifv

• And i also dont understand the obession with K-charting ( melon in particular) like it’s the beginning & end of everything. It’s just one platform that no one else cares if you are not Korean. Who cares if GP in Korea do not like BG in general except BTS? All BG core fandom are most likely outside Korea anyways . So okay - Korea belongs to GG while the rest of the world to BG . 😂

It’s kinda stupid to ignore Korea when talking about group’s relevancy when it’s still kpop biggest market.

• different strokes for different folks...

at the end of the day the only thing that really matters is how much $$$ ends up in your bank account

• gg stans are so strange.. they say that it's okay for girl groups to have less sales while claiming that girl groups are still bigger than boy groups because sales is their weakness but at the same time, they use the fact boy groups' weakness is digitals as argument that girl groups are doing better.

If your theory is that the top groups should be equally good at sales and digitals then that means neither boy groups nor girl groups are leading.

Girl groups are doing better only in Korea. Global popularity = multiple countries popularity > one country popularity. So yeah, that one is won by boy groups. I don't know why people tried to use youtube as metrics when metrics is very fandom driven + it has usage of ads. Spotify is the platform where most people listen to music nowadays and which shows actual relevance.

Boy groups have better charting internationally (on charts reflecting both sales and digitals), more songs blowing up, more streams, followers and listeners on Spotify, more sales, bigger fandoms, are generally more known among the kpop community itself.

While girl groups only have better digitals but only in Korea and better youtube views (if you want to use views as metrics so bad)

• This thread contains one more post that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!