Did Oh My Girl profit the most from Queendom?

• With the news of a 2nd season of Queendom coming up, I was checking up on the former Queendom again.

Then I remembered Oh My Girl was among the groups that participated. If I'm correct, it was after Queendom that Oh My Girl's comebacks really seemed to hit their strides.

Which made me wonder: is it because of Queendom that Oh My Girl got the boost they needed (and deserved)?

Of all the groups and artists that were part of Queendom, Oh My Girl have seen the highest increase in success and popularity afterwards.

What do you think, did Queendom help them or would Oh My Girl have been as successful as they are anyway, with or without Queendom?

'No more shall man have wings to bear him to paradise. Henceforth, he shall walk.'

SWJ1P.gif

• iu and knowing bros helped far more than queendom in my opinion. while queendom was fun to watch i dont think it did much for any of the actual groups. mamamoo and gidle were already popular. the other idols aoa, lovelyz, and park bom nothing changed in their popularity either. you can say oh my girl got the most success after queendom but i dont think their current popularity has anything to do with queendom at all.

• So basically Queendom, the new season as well, just aren't as influential as the Mnet survival shows are in boosting the popularity of the groups and idols taking part in it?

I didn't really follow Queendom and didn't pay that much attention afterwards, so I don't know how the buzz around the show and after it compared to the buzz around Mnet's survival shows.

'No more shall man have wings to bear him to paradise. Henceforth, he shall walk.'

SWJ1P.gif

• I'd say Queendom was one of many factors. Essentially they benefited from that, plus the timing(there was a need for a cute, bright girl group since TWICE transitioned into a more mature concept\sound), and they were actually always on the rise in Korea. iirc Secret Garden when #1 on Melon but Ifans didn't notice because they were pretty much overshadowed by other groups. It was really just a matter of when they'd blow up.

• OMG survived the queendom curse and got success. It gave a push but wasn't the only factor. But it helped them getting more fans no one can deny. Groups like mamamoo and gidle got album sales boost too.

`.¸,°.. EUNBI ..°,¸.´

bd244e5463f542b0458f07ca2f1ac31e381fb86a.gifv b14ebbb2cafd17a83af16ce034df00d7028a5940.gifv

• in general public it seems so

but remember that (G)I-DLE Hwaa got 10 wins in music shows which is hella lot

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Non stop would still be a hit.

IU helped with Dolphin.

• iu and knowing bros helped far more than queendom in my opinion. while queendom was fun to watch i dont think it did much for any of the actual groups. mamamoo and gidle were already popular.

I disagree. (G)I-DLE were popular, but not as much as they became after Queendom. Their stage performances received lots of praise and LION worked wonders for them.

Before Queendom, the group sold 50k copies of their debut album and 50k copies of their 2nd album (no growth). After Queendom? 150k copies sold of 'I trust'.

I think OMG did benefit from Queendom too.

• Well nobody can say for sure why groups go suddenly popular.

But based on the timing, sure Queendom could have been the factor.

Mamamoo were already doing well. G-IDLE is Soyeon who has had other shows, rest didn't take off after the show.

Hence OMG.

But as other commentators say, they had good songs (but then they had good songs even before), Knowing Bros - not everyone who goes on that show take off, not to mention that show itself has patchy ratings.

IU endorsing them, covers etc. would have helped.

So a mix of factors

Even if it is Queendom, there is really no guarantee that Q 2 will have similar effect on another GG.

But in general exposure/camera time/broadcast is critical to entertainers.

• OMG survived the queendom curse and got success. It gave a push but wasn't the only factor. But it helped them getting more fans no one can deny. Groups like mamamoo and gidle got album sales boost too.

I disagree. (G)I-DLE were popular, but not as much as they became after Queendom. Their stage performances received lots of praise and LION worked wonders for them.

Before Queendom, the group sold 50k copies of their debut album and 50k copies of their 2nd album (no growth). After Queendom? 150k copies sold of 'I trust'.

I think OMG did benefit from Queendom too.

The thing is, most groups experienced an album sales boost starting from end of 2019-beginning of 2020, also groups and artists that weren't part of Queendom.

At first, I thought too that some groups gained album sales because of Queendom. But when more and more groups started to have impressive sales increases, that theory didn't hold up anymore. Still not sure what was the cause of that jump in album sales, whether it's Covid or K-pop getting more popular globally or something else.

SWJ1P.gif

• The thing is, most groups experienced an album sales boost starting from end of 2019-beginning of 2020, also groups and artists that weren't part of Queendom.

At first, I thought too that some groups gained album sales because of Queendom. But when more and more groups started to have impressive sales increases, that theory didn't hold up anymore. Still not sure what was the cause of that jump in album sales, whether it's Covid or K-pop getting more popular globally or something else.

Hasn't mamamoo sales fallen off recently? Again they are kind of done as a group. One way u r right we really don't know what made mamamoo and gidle have bigger sales. Was it queendom or the rapid growth of physical market or a combination of both?

`.¸,°.. EUNBI ..°,¸.´

bd244e5463f542b0458f07ca2f1ac31e381fb86a.gifv b14ebbb2cafd17a83af16ce034df00d7028a5940.gifv

• The thing is, most groups experienced an album sales boost starting from end of 2019-beginning of 2020, also groups and artists that weren't part of Queendom.

Ok but (g)i-dle didn't just get a boost, they TRIPLED their sales number. It's huge! I think kpop reaching a bigger and bigger international audience could explain the overall sales increase for the genre, but when it comes to (g)i-dle I'm quite convinced that Queendom and the LION music video brought them a lot of attention. People were anticipating the next album.

Watch that video. The first interviewee's words are particularly enlightening I think.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• yes certainly, it's not just queendom thought... it's because of them and their cover of Lovelyz, they went viral (like really they made a huge buzz) after their traditional and emotional cover of Destiny.

after their buzz, the gp started to check their older songs and basically rediscovered OMG. They had already become a major name even before Nonstop and Dolphin.

them Nonstop which was a hit helped them to establish their statue as a top girl group and Dolphin made them mega viral again (thanks to IU's publicity but also due to the song itself which is damn addictive and fun).

At this point, the attachment that the public has for them seems to be beyond the attachement for a common trendy gg. it's like more of an emotional attachement, nation gg style of attachement close to what SNSD had.

that's my understanding of the situation :wellr:

• Ok but (g)i-dle didn't just get a boost, they TRIPLED their sales number. It's huge! I think kpop reaching a bigger and bigger international audience could explain the overall sales increase for the genre, but when it comes to (g)i-dle I'm quite convinced that Queendom and the LION music video brought them a lot of attention. People were anticipating the next album.

Watch that video. The first interviewee's words are particularly enlightening I think.

Thanks! That's very informative, I hadn't seen that video yet.

So I guess Queendom did give a positive starter booster to the groups and artists that participated, but how much and how longlasting differed per group and depended on other circumstances, like how good their next comebacks and comeback songs were and such.

It showcased the groups to people watching the show or hearing about the show who weren't that familiar with the groups, but whether that heightened attention was fleeting or became persistent was helped by what the groups and artists did afterwards.

SWJ1P.gif

• Whoa. Are they already on that level with the Korean general public?

That of the public's precious favorite girl group, like Wonder Girls, SNSD and Sistar and such were?

I hadn't expected Oh My Girl had risen that high already. How does that relate to Aespa and Brave Girls? Are they all now the Nation's new precious girl groups that have captured the hearts and minds of common Koreans? Or are Oh My Girl currently THE girl group holding that position?

SWJ1P.gif

• In 2021 digitals they are the #1 GG, though there wasn't a specific hit, many of their songs charted well in the top #100.

Better than even BP, Aespa. I don't remember Brave Girls.

2020 also, they would be #1/#2.

They are filling the space left open by Twice, more than another 3g or 4g group.

BP actually didn't scale up much, after Twice ramped down. So I guess they have plateaued in S.Korea.

OMG in the last 2 years, have definitely been a top 3 GG, even if they don't get the media noise.

Arin is an It girl with that successful MC stint and Soju endorsement deal

• Definitely Queendom gave them some push that they need but people feels gives way more credit to Queendom for their current popularity. Their viral performance in Queendom was really a huge boost in their career. Then NONSTOP promotion was definitely on the another level which really push them more towards their recent success and of course IU.

I just also notice that I-fans fails to see that OMG is kinda pretty trendy already among non big 3 GG before Queendom. They are literally the only 3rd Gen GG aside from Gfriend, Mamamoo & some extent Lovelyz who have been consistenly charted since 2018. So its not like they magically charted so high because of Queendom.

• trendy already among non big 3 GG before Queendom

They debuted in 2015, didn't chart anything in Gaon top 100 until 2018, even 2019 were very low numbers.

It is only 2020 and 21, they are in the top 3 GGs, so definitely after Queendom.

So whatever "trendy" you imply, is not reflected in the charts.

• They debuted in 2015, didn't chart anything in Gaon top 100 until 2018, even 2019 were very low numbers.

It is only 2020 and 21, they are in the top 3 GGs, so definitely after Queendom.

what kind of lies are this both closer and step by step charted in the top 100 in 2015 for oh my girl and aing released in 2016 peaked at 15 lmao

• They debuted in 2015, didn't chart anything in Gaon top 100 until 2018, even 2019 were very low numbers.

tell me you’re talking out of your arse without telling me you’re talking out of your arse :clown: should’ve refrained from saying anything about sth you don’t know if you didn’t wanna be clowned lmao :pepe-clown-gear:

• Whoa. Are they already on that level with the Korean general public?

That of the public's precious favorite girl group, like Wonder Girls, SNSD and Sistar and such were?

I hadn't expected Oh My Girl had risen that high already. How does that relate to Aespa and Brave Girls? Are they all now the Nation's new precious girl groups that have captured the hearts and minds of common Koreans? Or are Oh My Girl currently THE girl group holding that position?

I think OMG's hold on gp is very special, close to the kinda attachment gp had for SNSD and even Wonder girls. Their Destiny cover which was very emotional had a deep impact and the characters of the members and so their brightness and funny personality have truly catptured the soft heart of GP.

They are not on SNSD level because SNSD was very powerful in every department, but they truly were the nation's gg, like IU was the nation's little sister etc. And OMG seems to be in the same category, probably not in the same intensity but definitly in the way the public sees them and feels about them.

aespa on the other side are the more typical trendy gg like BP smh. I don't know much about brave girls though, but they kinda remind of Sistar, very popular because of bops their released so their success is heavily centered about the quality and the catchiness of their songs. They were also a breath of fresh air during the covid so their are very liked for that as well.

• I know they got into top 10 of album charts.

But didn't see them on digital.

Will double check.

outside of there debut cupid which peaked at 103 all the rest of their comebacks charted in top 100 you really cant be looking at the correct chart lmao

not including sub unit banana allergy monkey or the collab song love speed

• outside of there debut cupid which peaked at 103 all the rest of their comebacks charted in top 100 you really cant be looking at the correct chart lmao

not including sub unit banana allergy monkey or the collab song love speed

You are correct. I missed these songs. Nevertheless my larger point stands, I was responding to someone who said they were already trending before Queendom. The digitals don't reflect any such trending. 2018-19, was better, but 2020-21 they are playing at the top of GGs.

Place Week Year SongName Singer
    75 42 2015 Closer 오마이걸 (OH MY GIRL)
    79 13 2016 한 발짝 두 발짝 오마이걸 (OH MY GIRL)
    58 14 2016 LIAR LIAR 오마이걸 (OH MY GIRL)
    62 22 2016 WINDY DAY 오마이걸 (OH MY GIRL)
    70 23 2016 WINDY DAY 오마이걸 (OH MY GIRL)
    99 24 2016 WINDY DAY 오마이걸 (OH MY GIRL)
    15 32 2016 내 얘길 들어봐 (A-ing) (Feat. 스컬&하하) 오마이걸 (OH MY GIRL)
    29 33 2016 내 얘길 들어봐 (A-ing) (Feat. 스컬&하하) 오마이걸 (OH MY GIRL)
    30 34 2016 내 얘길 들어봐 (A-ing) (Feat. 스컬&하하) 오마이걸 (OH MY GIRL)
    48 35 2016 내 얘길 들어봐 (A-ing) (Feat. 스컬&하하) 오마이걸 (OH MY GIRL)
    60 36 2016 내 얘길 들어봐 (A-ing) (Feat. 스컬&하하) 오마이걸 (OH MY GIRL)
  • You are correct. I missed these songs. Nevertheless my larger point stands, I was responding to someone who said they were already trending before Queendom. The digitals don't reflect any such trending. 2018-19, was better, but 2020-21 they are playing at the top of GGs.

Place Week Year SongName Singer
    75 42 2015 Closer 오마이걸 (OH MY GIRL)
    79 13 2016 한 발짝 두 발짝 오마이걸 (OH MY GIRL)
    58 14 2016 LIAR LIAR 오마이걸 (OH MY GIRL)
    62 22 2016 WINDY DAY 오마이걸 (OH MY GIRL)
    70 23 2016 WINDY DAY 오마이걸 (OH MY GIRL)
    99 24 2016 WINDY DAY 오마이걸 (OH MY GIRL)
    15 32 2016 내 얘길 들어봐 (A-ing) (Feat. 스컬&하하) 오마이걸 (OH MY GIRL)
    29 33 2016 내 얘길 들어봐 (A-ing) (Feat. 스컬&하하) 오마이걸 (OH MY GIRL)
    30 34 2016 내 얘길 들어봐 (A-ing) (Feat. 스컬&하하) 오마이걸 (OH MY GIRL)
    48 35 2016 내 얘길 들어봐 (A-ing) (Feat. 스컬&하하) 오마이걸 (OH MY GIRL)
    60 36 2016 내 얘길 들어봐 (A-ing) (Feat. 스컬&하하) 오마이걸 (OH MY GIRL)

in my opinion even before queendom they were always considered a top 10 gg so to me they were trendy, but they were just missing a hit song which they got with nonstop/dolphin which brought them to the next level

• i remember once watching a random yt video (around 2018/2017) where koreans were asked on the streets to pick their favourite girlgroup.

To my surprise, a lot of people picked oh my girl, and almost nobody picked big 3 ggs.

International kpop fans pay too much attention to numbers, sales and charts. Popularity sometimes just isn't only reflected in these things.

Oh my girl has always been a public's pick, their recent string of hits just manifested it even more. They will probably continue to be one of the ggs to have the longest lasting impact

• iu and knowing bros helped far more than queendom in my opinion. while queendom was fun to watch i dont think it did much for any of the actual groups. mamamoo and gidle were already popular. the other idols aoa, lovelyz, and park bom nothing changed in their popularity either. you can say oh my girl got the most success after queendom but i dont think their current popularity has anything to do with queendom at all.

I agree! OMG didn't really stand out in queendom; Mamamoo and G-idle raked the stage, with AOA leading off of their old fame.

OMG did make really awesome comebacks after that I think legitimately through good songs, rather than through q-dom

• i remember once watching a random yt video (around 2018/2017) where koreans were asked on the streets to pick their favourite girlgroup.

To my surprise, a lot of people picked oh my girl, and almost nobody picked big 3 ggs.

International kpop fans pay too much attention to numbers, sales and charts. Popularity sometimes just isn't only reflected in these things.

Oh my girl has always been a public's pick, their recent string of hits just manifested it even more. They will probably continue to be one of the ggs to have the longest lasting impact

It is nothing to do with i-fans or k-fans.

Popularity is perception, unreliable to measure based on opinions, even the best poll surveys with thousands of surveys fail, even in important things like elections.

Random street interviews are nothing compared.

Whereas chart data is actual sales/consumption, not opinions.

In any context, if data is available, that always matters more than opinions.

As simple as that

• I agree! OMG didn't really stand out in queendom; Mamamoo and G-idle raked the stage, with AOA leading off of their old fame.

OMG did make really awesome comebacks after that I think legitimately through good songs, rather than through q-dom

I disagree; OMG did stand out in Queendom and even placed #2 in the final ranking. Plus, Queendom was not just about the performances; at least two episodes mostly revolved around idols' interactions with each other, slices of life, etc and OMG members really showed their charms in these candid moments.

I remember PD of the youtube channel Form of Therapy said he became a fan of OMG after watching Queendom.

I think the conversation should go back to OP's original question: did OMG profit the most from Queendom? Probably not. I'd say (G)I-DLE did. But did OMG profit from Queendom to some extent? Most likely yes, even if only a little.

• I agree! OMG didn't really stand out in queendom; Mamamoo and G-idle raked the stage, with AOA leading off of their old fame.

I disagree. Even though they don’t get much attention internationally, their “Destiny” performance created a really huge buzz in Korea and was trending for days. (Also the only Queendom performance to even chart in Melon top 100). And them winning 2/3 rounds and finished #2 was something beyond anyone expectation.

Oh My Girl DID benefit so much after appearing on Queendom but not as much as (G)i-dle and AOA but their proper title track selection with “Nonstop” and their decent promotions gave the group a boost to another level.

That's why I said "pretty trendy among non big 3 GG at that time". I'm pretty sure that's why MNET invited them since they considered OMG a bit trendy there even it is not totally reflected in the chart.

I always considered OMG as a perfect definition of mid tier GG group. Their charting was not really great but not really bad for a non big 3 who dont have any viral hit or hype at the time.

• This thread contains 2 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!