Gaon Weekly top 100 Digitals 2010-21 Ranked

• Method:

Top 100 weekly digital so 5200 songs per year,5100 in 2010. - 62300 spots.

#1 gets 100 points, #100 gets 1 point.

Add up by each act, for the whole year. Most points indicate which group was consumed most that year.

That could include songs from the past years as well.

* Yes absolute ranking is not as accurate in showing the popularity of a song was digital points will.

Since differences between ranks won't be uniform, Song #2 on Week2 might be 10 times more consumed than Song #3, whereas in Week3, #2 might be consumed 100 times more, yet they both get the same rank points.

But it is a simpler method to aggregate than deal with different periods of Download, Streaming and post-2018 digital points data.

*This is not about individual songs or hits. But consumption of any song of the group in the year - old, new, hit, non hit, as long as it was in the Top 100 of Gaon Digital Weekly.

* Subunits are combined with main units e.g. GG+Oh!GG+TaeTiSeo, SISTAR+SISTAR19.

* Few people carry their groups, so their solos are combined with groups - Busker Busker+Jang Beom June, Big Bang+G-Dragon, 4Minute+Hyuna. But not so with Taeyeon's solo career separate from GG.

___

Observations.

After checking the top acts, following are the leaders in each year,

2010 - SNSD,

2011-IU,

2012-Busker Busker,

2013-AKMU,

2014-IU,

2015-BigBang,

2016-EXO,

2017-IU,

2018-BTS,

2019-Paul Kim,

2020-BTS,

2021-IU

While on an average GGs do better than BGs on the digital chart, the top BGs do best the top GGs to take the first every year.

GGs had their best year in 2018 - Twice, Mamamoo, RV, BP all peaked, yet even the leader Twice did only half as good as BTS and 3rd after Wanna One.

Taeyeon as a soloist has better digitals than SNSD comparing 2010-15 SNSD vs. 2016-2021 Taeyeon.

Below graph gives the top 5 of

BGs - dashed lines

GGs - dotted lines

NGs (not groups) - solid lines.

pasted-from-clipboard.png

Edited 5 times, last by bbgc ().

• I don't think it's what people mean. More Ggs in general have more hits. Less number of Bgs on the other hand have hits. It's more of a quantity comparison i think.

★¸.•☆•.¸★ 𝐉𝐈𝐒𝐎𝐎 ★⡀.•☆•.★

e2ab9f65c50ad7b933ecb52f941f1493d96d8704.gifv 38f275b68632fbb8a30ab7a0fce5512059a80556.gifv2aa8ee22f2804d638330929636b03d1a3375e4f7.gifv61eb8841d60cd80c1298efc34ab05d6279af9b9a.gifv2aa8ee22f2804d638330929636b03d1a3375e4f7.gifv4d43f06e62bc91bae199a1e0752740ea19fda0f9.gifv e2ab9f65c50ad7b933ecb52f941f1493d96d8704.gifv

• I don't think it's what people mean. More Ggs in general have more hits. Less number of Bgs on the other hand have hits. It's more of a quantity comparison i think.

Depends on the definition of a hit - the Gaon Weekly digital top 100 is what I used, ranking songs by points i.e. 100 points for #1 and 1 point for #100 song. Then total it up by year, by group/act.

Highest by a GG, as far as I could check was Twice in 2018 @ 8242, but average is around 3000. BGs/Solos/Duos average at 4000.

Again this is for the top 20 acts since 2010.

• Was this confirmed by going through the weekly charts?

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• Depends on the definition of a hit - the Gaon Weekly digital top 100 is what I used, ranking songs by points i.e. 100 points for #1 and 1 point for #100 song. Then total it up by year, by group/act.

Highest by a GG, as far as I could check was Twice in 2018 @ 8242, but average is around 3000. BGs/Solos/Duos average at 4000.

Again this is for the top 20 acts since 2010.

Can you share your data in a file, or multiple?

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• Can you share your data in a file, or multiple?

It is the same one idontsleep provided.. just added points to the weekly ranks and checked out the top tier groups.. will clean it up and share later..

Challenge is that most names are in Hangul, so excel I have has trouble.. So can't analyze the whole lot with macros and formulas..

• Bp did not peak 2018.

And only bg on the charts is bts. But ur right, bg in general have a higher ceiling- why the f do you think these company’s are inversting in their little 4th gen bg even though they’ve lived up to no expectations. Cuz once a bg hits it big they can grow so much.

No gg has every consistently had higher album sales than all bgs, (besides snsd that one year)

But there are multiple bg that have had huge hits and were the most consistent digitally of their gen (big bang, bts).

Actually if you look at idol songs longest charting in top 100 it will just be bg songs.

It’s sad for gg but that’s what happens in a society that heavily favors men, and a patriarchy

• Gaon Digital Weekly chart isnt the best measurement of GP popularity. I've seen that chart get distorted by hardcore fans through mass streaming/downloads.

Some groups have got like ten #1 hits on Gaon Digital Weekly but can only muster four #1 hits on Melon Daily.

Stick to Melon Daily/Weekly/Monthly charts. The sucky thing is their data isnt readily available ;(.

• It is the same one idontsleep provided.. just added points to the weekly ranks and checked out the top tier groups.. will clean it up and share later..

Challenge is that most names are in Hangul, so excel I have has trouble.. So can't analyze the whole lot with macros and formulas..

I mean can you share the totals you have once you're done?

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• In the ranked gaon weekly digital top 100 method I used, BP's best was 2018.

Well of you put soloists in the mix they do very well in longevity. There is IU always to break any such stereotyping.

I dont think all BGs are successful digitally, but the ones which are -BB, EXO, BTS, are definitely more successful than the most successful GGs.

I have checked only the top 20 or so. So this can't be the full picture.

Impression I get is GGs hit high ranks quickly, causing a lot of chatter, but don't sustain week after week, again only relative to BGs and as a trend, there are exceptions .

• Gaon Digital Weekly chart isnt the best measurement of GP popularity. I've seen that chart get distorted by hardcore fans through mass streaming/downloads.

Some groups have got like ten #1 hits on Gaon Digital Weekly but can only muster four #1 hits on Melon Daily.

Stick to Melon Daily/Weekly/Monthly charts. The sucky thing is their data isnt readily available ;(.

I am not going to differentiate between GP and fans.

Consumption is consumption.

And I am looking at 12 years worth of data, so if fans sustained to keep the group up for that long, well then the group needs to be appreciated.

• Some groups have got like ten #1 hits on Gaon Digital Weekly but can only muster four #1 hits on Melon Daily.

You could at least try to hide the BTS shade, but alas. You're as transparent as glass.

This drag failed on two levels.

1. Melon is just one streaming platform in Korea, and it's definitely not as reliable as you want it to be. Melon literally changed how their chart functioned to stop people from mass streaming and mass downloading, and that was with HOURLY updates. Gaon updates weekly at the earliest.

2. Gaon is an aggregate of most major music services in Korea, meaning a song that does trash on Melon but does great on Bugs and/or Genie still has a decent chance to chart. If a song can stay on Gaon top 100 for a long time, that means the song is doing well on multiple platforms simultaneously.

3. Melon Daily is not indicative of how well a song will do in the long run. It just means that there's a lot of hype in the first days after a song's release. Some songs hit #1 on Melon daily yet don't chart for even half a year.

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• There's also the fact that digitals are a mess in Korea. Downloads used to be very easy: 1dl = 1 point or whatever. Fans and those casually interested in groups would buy them so it was hard to manipulate numbers unless you are really dedicated. In those cases ggs by far destroyed bgs on the charts.

Then streaming came along and that led to the rise of zombie streaming which benefits bgs and fans alone could inflate numbers to make it look like they were up there with ggs who still had public listeners. That also affected scores where you need X amount of streams for 1 point or Y number of streams within Z amount hours. Soon bgs could set decently high digital scores that were comparable to most ggs. It became such a big a problem that digital stores have tried to counter it since.

• On avg a top BG will have a lot of points on the album. They tend to focus on b sides and stream and DL them.

What people mean tho is, ignoring BTS, the last time a boy group had a hit song was probably Love Scenario and Really Really before that. Unless I'm forgetting.

In 2021, 2020 and 2019 only BTS had genuine hit songs for idol boy groups where in that 3 yr period we had hits from OMG, Aespa, BP, Twice, Red Velvet, Itzy, Mamamoo, and probably more.

This is not all about individual hits. I took songs which are in Weekly top 100, year by year.

So even songs which didn't hit top 5,10,20 are considered.

A song might not be a spiking hit, yet can be consistent, that would earn the group a good score. I will try to get some examples of that.

Big Bang had a great year in 2012 and 2015,

Exo's peak 2016, then BTS took over.

SNSD is 2010 was the last GG overall #1. Though SISTAR did very well, they didn't overtake BB, and neither have BP, Twice, RV, Mamamoo.

Again the top 20 may not be the indicator of the GG-digital and BG-PHYSICAL trend m

• Actually if you look at idol songs longest charting in top 100 it will just be bg songs.

The top 10

Spring Day (257 weeks)

Boy with Luv (145 weeks)

Missing You (86 weeks)

DNA (82 weeks)

Energetic (80 weeks)

IDOL (79 weeks)

Dolphin (78 weeks)

Dynamite (74 weeks)

Really Really/Nonstop (72 weeks)

groups represented: Oh My Girl, Winner, BTOB, BTS, Wanna One

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• The fandom factor doesn't matter much, because Soloists or like actually rank first more years, than groups.

IU of course - 4 years.

Busker Busker JBJ , AKMU,Paul Kim - 1 year each., Pretty much the very first year or second, when they couldn't have had organized fandoms.

• lol, there is a difference in saying ggs in general do overall better to claiming they are the top digital artist every year

I did mention that in the original post. That the top 5/6 from either category and ranking 1st can't confirm or deny the trend

• On avg a top BG will have a lot of points on the album. They tend to focus on b sides and stream and DL them.

What people mean tho is, ignoring BTS, the last time a boy group had a hit song was probably Love Scenario and Really Really before that. Unless I'm forgetting.

In 2021, 2020 and 2019 only BTS had genuine hit songs for idol boy groups where in that 3 yr period we had hits from OMG, Aespa, BP, Twice, Red Velvet, Itzy, Mamamoo, and probably more.

There was also Flower Road by Bigbang and Only One for Me by BTOB in 2018, both were certified for 2.5M downloads.

other than that, everything you said is true.

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• EXO beat them all in 2016 and BTS in 2017.

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

It was the opposite, Ikon battered everyone in 2018 whereas Twice battered everyone in 2016 in digitals

Fe8TZRpaMAIFav2?format=jpg&name=large

ThinkAbouTzu, Tuwuice:pleading::pleading::pleading:

• External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

It was the opposite, Ikon battered everyone in 2018 whereas Twice battered everyone in 2016 in digitals

Ryu OP was talking about weekly's. As in most weekly top per year.

And not aggregated. Which is a skewed metric, but still correct.

That's on an individual song basis, OP is talking about all songs an artist charted in a given year.

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

Did you even read the original post for the method used?

Top 100 weekly digital so 5200 songs, #1 gets 100 points, #100 gets 1 point.

Add up by each act, for the whole year. Most points indicate which group was consumed most that year.

That could include songs from the past years as well.

• lol, there is a difference in saying ggs in general do overall better to claiming they are the top digital artist every year

The problem with what the op trying to convince the readers is exactly what stated here.

The op could very well form a different premise that fit his data and conclusions but GG digital and BG physical is not it.

Op, what BG you remember that chart well recently from beside BTS?

When people stated that GG do well digitally vs Boygroup do well physically, they mean the chart I posted below.

The chart are 1 year apart. There are nothing different beside BTS vs GG. You don't need to look further into gaon points to determine this.

• I have given the method I used and I have little need to convince anyone of anything.

Just sharing what I found, for I like delving into data trends.

Make whatever you want of it.

Sure if you use other data and other method to evaluate, results could be different.

And whether I (or others) choose to look beyond Melon or Gaon, is each person's choice.

• bbgc

Changed the title of the thread from “Girl Groups and Digitals” to “Girl Groups and Gaon Weeekly Digitals Ranked”.
  • bbgc

Changed the title of the thread from “Girl Groups and Gaon Weeekly Digitals Ranked” to “Girl Groups and Gaon Weekly Digitals Ranked”.
  • This thread contains 118 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!