[Controversial opinions] "Idols having fun" isn't an excuse to explain a bad vocal performance of idols

• Just admit that they were really bad this day and it have nothing to do with them having fun or not

too much people are trying to defend artist with the excuse " they were just having fun it's normal that they don't sound well"

and it's honestly the dumbest excuse ever

you're telling me that they can dance for 3 mins and sings normally, or even dance and sing for an entire hour and still sound not bad

but jumping 1 or 2 times during an encore stage suddenly is an excuse for them to sound bad

i'm sorry but it's not

You should normalize the fact that there's some idols who have better control of their voices, and are better vocalist

and other who are below average and sometimes their flaws are highlighted and just admit this

and stop always protecting idols and defend them, for their job by saying that they were "just having fun " that's why they messed up

✩We Born with the X-Gene✩

#aespa from Chill Kill #aespa from Chill Kill

• Honestly Idgaf how other idols sounds but when their fans claim their performance with studio quality was live but their encore when they just stand around or move alittle sounds off its too much

The worst part is some of those fans have no self awareness and bash other idols vocals or lip sync

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• If they sing well enough during the actual perf with their complex dancing but shit the bed for encores when all they do is stand around or a bit of interact with fans/each other then it's very clear that the ecore is their actual ability and the perfs are lip synced or with mega hefty back track. :pepe-tea:

• To be honest, most of them are actually having fun like they are supposed to on encores. If you look at most idol's encores that have a bad encore they have had better/great ones.

Does that mean they are a bad vocalist if they had 1-2 bad encores where they were obviously not focusing on singing/rapping? Most of them are purposely not singing/rapping, and not because they can't but because they are celebrating the moment.

It is kind of sad what the kpop world has turned to, something that is supposed to be fun has turned into a singing competition. You can see it on some of the idol's expressions these days. Most of them are more focused on singing everything right rather than celebrating what they achieved.

Encores aren't singing contest, a lot of idols don't take them seriously and they are supposed to not take them seriously.

Overall, in my opinion, encores shouldn't be a judge of singing/rapping talent. If you want to judge an idol's singing/rapping go watch a concert clip where they will most likely be performing seriously and not focusing on other things.

I hope that we will get encores like this again in kpop.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I dunno, encores shouldnt be taken this seriously.

Encores should be about celebrating with your fans. Of course, the problem is that the fans are all gone for now, so things are a lot more awkward.

well in this case

live performance shouldn't be take seriously because it should be about just being here and giving a performance to your fans even if the performance is bad or good '-'

so let's just do like Jpop idols and just focus on entertaining them for 3minutes

who cares about good vocal on stage or synchronize dance at the moment that the fan can see their favs and enjoy the moment '-'

• I am failing to get your logic. If it’s about knowing their skills when to rate or compare, then sure. I also judge these moments between me and myself. And I am sure casual fans can tell without the need of pointing it out.

But if your thread is about justifying the backlash idols get for bad singing a stage they’re not supposed to be hard working for THEN NO.

I mean I won’t be surprised if you would have defended aespa if they had a bad encore (now after knowing aespa’s capabilities, I don’t think they will have a bad encore but hypothetically before we were sure of their lives abilities).

lt64IYu.gif

Edited once, last by Yumeku ().

• Fans in general cannot tell the difference when idols are singing live without any help or not, kpop companies have these people hypnotized into thinking oppa and unnie can dance around and have perfect vocals without taking a breath but somehow they struggle massively just standing there and singing. Makes no sense.

• I mean, it makes sense if idols don't try as hard during encores, as long as they don't sound awful it's fine.

Encores used to way more fun back then, now it just seems like a competition who sounds the best. We literally have performances for that, many idols lipsyncing during them is another issue

• I mean, it makes sense if idols don't try as hard during encores, as long as they don't sound awful it's fine.

Encores used to way more fun back then, now it just seems like a competition who sounds the best. We literally have performances for that, many idols lipsyncing during them is another issue

we also have concerts and award shows where most of the time, they aren't lipsyncing and they are performing seriously.

But no one looks into those to rate vocals/rap.

The reason we look into encores is not because they are a good source, but to hate on idols because a lot of them don't take them seriously and just fool around.

If we were truly looking for a way to analyze an idol's vocal/rap, we wouldn't be using things like encores.

• It is kind of sad what the kpop world has turned to, something that is supposed to be fun has turned into a singing competition. You can see it on the idol's expressions these days. Most of them are more focused on singing every not right than celebrating what they achieved.

Imagine choosing singer and dancing as a career and actually making it, then have fans like you say “it’s not a singing competition”.

I guess music doesn’t matter to you and it’s all about stanning cute oppas right? Why even train idols vocally, let’s just copy JPN groups and have 2 vocalist and the rest of the members get no lines and just dance.

Pls get out of here with this. Idols should be conscious of their singing, because that is literally what they get paid to do.

• well i have to disagree about this

there's a lot of performance where idols are running every where to have fun with fans

and focus on enjoying the moment with their fans and it doesn't mean they sound bad neither :/

i know SNSD isn't a good example, considering how they are well know for their good vocals

but they are the only idols i watched their concert

but i know that a lot of other idols, like twice, nct, etc.... have this kind of performance during their concert too

• well in this case

live performance shouldn't be take seriously because it should be about just being here and giving a performance to your fans even if the performance is bad or good '-'

so let's just do like Jpop idols and just focus on entertaining them for 3minutes

who cares about good vocal on stage or synchronize dance at the moment that the fan can see their favs and enjoy the moment '-'

lol but these encores are supposed to be about celebrating not performing. The music show is over once the awards are announced. The encores are for the idols to interact with their fans, to jump around and wave their trophy, or even cry their eyes out after their first wins.

And it's not like the artists are even there half the time anyway to do encores in the first place. I think 70 percent of the shows i've seen have no encores because the winner didnt even show up to perform. Clearly they're not a required part of the programming.

• i know some idol's do that at concerts but you can also find moments where they aren't running around and having fun with fans but performing seriously. I think live award show performances are a little better because most idols don't run around doing random things lol.

• people take encore stages to seriously lol

yeah idols should try their best when they need to but these things exist to have fun and celebrate their win.

there's nothing wrong with letting go as long as your not being careless during something that is important. like the actual live performance.

• Imagine choosing singer and dancing as a career and actually making it, then have fans like you say “it’s not a singing competition”.

I guess music doesn’t matter to you and it’s all about stanning cute oppas right? Why even train idols vocally, let’s just copy JPN groups and have 2 vocalist and the rest of the members get no lines and just dance.

Pls get out of here with this. Idols should be conscious of their singing, because that is literally what they get paid to do.

I meant encores. Not the kpop industry as a whole. But it seems like some people here think that idols are robots that are supposed to perform 24/7.

Some people still forget that ENCORES ARE SUPPPOSED TO NOT BE TAKEN SERIOUSLY!

If you want to rate idols on singing and rapping go use something where they actually put effort into it for example concert performances and award show performances.

Using a random encore to rate an idol's skill is like me purposely picking out a test where you got a bad grade that you obviously didn't put effort into and then label you a bad student for the rest of your life.

And for some idols, it isn't just a bad grade, it is constant bullying and harrasing. But I guess you are fine with that.

well encore back then used to be much more fun because at this times companies were really focusing on training their idols vocally to not sound to bad

it's not longer so mch the case today

that's why discussion around encore stage weren't often in 2nd gen

I mean even infinite crying after their 1st victory were sounding better than some groups who are just smiling while standing during encore stage

it was never a question of before it was fun

now people are turning encore stage as a singing competition

it's just that before having fun never prevent idol from doing well at their own job

that's why encore stage took so much importance this day because it started to highlight the lack of focus from agency on vocal, and proved that agency were now focusing more on visual and performance

than caring about their idols being great singer

• In the grande scheme of things does it matter? That’s your opinion and you can have it but a bad encore stage is meaningless if they prove themselves in larger scale things. At the end of the day the only people that will care are those that want fuel for fan wars

• I mean if they weren't having fun. Just standing there with the award in hand, trying to put on their best performance to not get dragged by stan twt .

They can have fun and make a good perf (I agree that non-fans pressuring them by camping to criticize their stage take the fun away though)

lt64IYu.gif

• Nit-picking encores, of all things? Typical :suure:

IMO, If the group is known to do great during live concerts or performances, then this is a non issue. So probably rookie groups or other nugu groups that haven’t had live concerts or performances yet can be scrutinised (if you are so into this kind of thing. I’m not)

• Why is there so many thread about encore stages? I seen two three in anons too. Did I missed something?

:eyes:

I remember once txt got slaughtered because they were enjoying their encore and they were all over the place. Next day they won again and they were serious, no fooling around on the stage then they got slaughtered for trying hard as if it’s a performance and not an encore. Erm.

:pepe-cringe:

• not exactly, in textbook defintion it is actually an additional performance asked by the audience. But obviously that is not the kpop defitnition.

that's literally the same thing

that's the reason why you can't find or rarely find bad encore stage during 2nd gen

because idols were focusing on having fun and still doing their jobs

that's why encore stage during 2nd gen were never a discussion, because there was nothing to discuss

performing, or having fun or celebrating their wins, idols were still sounding the same

and no one would have use the " they are just celebrating " argument to defend them

especially considering that they passed, months and months to train on perfectionning their vocals on the same song again and again

in contrary these days encores took more importance because it prove to a lot of people that agency no longer care of training their idols vocally well, and focus more on them sounding not too bad, on visual and performance

and then when you see them without all the artificial of the performance and only focus on their vocals you see that a lot of them aren't as good than they seemed

And fans trying to justify and excuse idols sounding bad or not great, is the reason why Kpop agencies doesn't focus more on vocal like they used to do

because they are thinking " we don't care if our idols sounds bad at the moment they have fans who will protect them against the critics about their vocals"

• I just find weird the fans saying that the group sounds better while doing backflips and splits than just singing, jumping at most, on encores. Lip sync is a common thing in kpop, fans should know how to just admit that their group may not sing live everytime like they claim, and that's ok.

• Why is there so many thread about encore stages? I seen two three in anons too. Did I missed something?

I remember once txt got slaughtered because they were enjoying their encore and they were all over the place. Next day they won again and they were serious, no fooling around on the stage then they got slaughtered for trying hard as if it’s a performance and not an encore. Erm.

I can't trust people that take encores so seriously. How do you attack someone for celebrating their win? Plus these kinds of people are never satisfied. It's just getting angry for no reason. They try to measure it to the idols abilities when these idols just performed, excited from winning, and tired from normal schedules :pepe-notes:

Fighting an endless battle with no resolution and no real reason :pepenomad:

• still don't agree with you. Why would you judge an idol's vocals/rapping when they are obviously not focusing on it or not even doing it than when they are focusing on their performance and singing/rapping?

Aren't those performances them at their best? Isn't there where you know their actual weaknesses because they are trying their hardest on everything?

It seems to me that people use encores more of an easy hating method than an object for improvement. Because if you were critcising them, you would be using something more reliable.

The reason why there were no 2nd gen encore "scandals" is not because they didn't have any bad encore, it is because netizens weren't this toxic back then.

And for the company one, companies are a business, and they know how netizens comments can effect an idol's career. They aren't dumb fools. Do you really think they would invest in idols that can't sing a single note?

• Honestly, vocals don't matter that much.

╬ Life Has Meaning ╬

• Do you stan based on rap or something? Because I find it hard to believe you don't care about vocals.

I like good vocals. They just don't matter that much in the industry, especially with all the technological improvements in production etc.

I would have a different opinion if we were talking about K-ballads, K-rnb etc instead of K-pop.

╬ Life Has Meaning ╬

perfect example

People seem to forget that not every idol are the same and do encores exactly the same. Some during encores don't care what the heck they are doing while some do.

Kind of sad though. It shows how toxicity can change people. Boys that were perfectly enjoying something that they should be got hated and they switched to sound as good as they can to avoid getting hated on.

It shows how comments are effecting idols. Kpop idols turned from enjoying their encores to dreading it because of fear of getting attacked by some netizens.

This is the reason why kpop idols went from jumping around in joy, switching lines, and not care what they are doing and just having fun to them awkwardly standing still, hoping they are hitting notes right and not going to get attacked by netizens.

It also shows how netizens only focus on the negative. A bad encore will get more views than a great encore.

It is not about constructive critiscm. It's about a reason to hate on someone.

• This thread contains one more post that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!