Girls Planet 999 EP 1 Review Part 2

• Continuing from yesterday, so same watching the episode and pre-edited performance, How it goes is that I watch the episode, when it's time to perform I watched the full performance on Youtube frst and then rewatch the performance in the episode. This is so I can have a clearer idea on how the full performance is like because some performances are probably cut shorter or edited.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

So since yesterday's thread people were commenting on "The Crazy" performance, and for good reason. First of all they entered the stage with a cutesy look and then BAM 4MINUTE CRAZY? Seeing their previous ranks ere middle-ish they must have worked extra hard for this. The pre-chorus was so good like you can feel her voice isn't totally mature but she is really good she definitely will get better. You literally can hear the audience cheering in the background in that part. And Yeseo's mic pack dropped off and was hanging around but SHE HANDLED IT LIKE A PRO (edit: oh they did mention it in the actual episode as well). And I like how they didn't try to really be as badass as 4Minute, but they had their own flare of cuteness in their performance as well.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

So I watched this performance because of one of the threads that showed this as a bad performance, and I played it with my Dad around. My Dad is a fan of IZ*ONE like he can name all the members, and when I played this my Dad asked me who was singing it because it was so bad like it couldn't be IZ*ONE. That is how bad this performance is. I mean maybe the blue shirt girl did ok? She tried Yuri's high note but didn't manage to really pull it off properly like it was supposed to be done in a high chest voice but she did it in a falsetto which is supposed to be easier to hit but it was ok. Also some parts sound like they were talking rather than speaking. Maybe I'm more critical because I'm a WIZ*ONE but this performance was mehhh. MNET edited their small non existent part to make it look good but it isn't good.

Based on their outfits I thought they were gonna some an Orange Caramel song or something but they did HMPH by WJSN. The vocals were not very good but I feel a huge part of it may be because they can't really sing in Korean well. The high note was bad but she did it without shame it's almost good because I was smiling throughout. Even though I don't think this performance was that good it was ... weirdly enjoyable? Also it's hard to hate them they are so likeable in the show they are so cute just being themselves.

This was really meh. The first girl was good the second girl started off well and then became not as good after a while I think maybe because she's tired? They need to train how to sing and dance at the same time more because their stamina is lacking. Like the second girl (brown skirt) I actually like her vocal tone but you can hear she like almost panting while singing her verses. The red skirt girl was literally struggling for her life like I wanted to give her a respirator or something. I would actually look out for the girl with brown skirt because I really dig her vocal tone. And now I watched the episode, they literally cut the nice parts of the song like the start and added in the bad parts like ????? How are they even going to get votes like this??? The first girl that sang did well in the Youtube full performance but in the episode she literally get no screentime for her performance like she's rank3 and they did her so dirty

Honestly I would look out for the first 2 girls more now considering how Mnet did this group so dirty.

Edit: Rmb that red skirt girl that I mentioned, now they are show an edit of her crying and her past and I kinda feel bad for her now but still my critique stands

Big balls and I mean REALLY BIG BALLS to sing in front of Tifanny. They actually sounded really good but at time it feels like they are shouting the song? Like one of the girls was trying to channel her inner Taeyeon. This song is definitely more vocally focused because the dance is really simple. Thing about this is that I wouldn't say it was great but it definitely isn't as bad as how the episode made it out to be like.

You thought after that performance of OMG's Nonstop they would stop butchering OMG's songs but nah because here comes Dolphin, which is bad like badddd. Ok first of this song doesn't really get to show off much it's more of a fun song and I didn't get that from them. Like compare to the HMPH performance which wasn't vocally good as well at least I was enjoying it because the twins had a sort of aura that make you kinda enjoy it but this .... nada. It was boring and the high notes were big lows. Oh wells one good thing about this and Nonstop is that if people are covering your songs in competitions it means your songs are huge.

Vocals aren't amazing but their aren't as terrible as some earlier few ones. Mnet made it look SO BAD but if you watch the full thing it isn't as bad as what they made it like. Mnet barely showed ANYTHING IN THIS PERFORMANCE like urghhh I know you are pressed for time but at least give them SOME DECENT PERFORMANCE SCREENTIME? Conclusion, not amazing but not as bad at Mnet made it look like. The judges also feel like they are really harsh on them and the previous few C groups.

Guys we are finally here, the infamous "We go up, but you don't" performance. I watched this performance before in another thread so this is probably my 3rd or 4th time watching it so I'ma give my updated review, after considering the other performances in the episode as well.

The audience hype them a lot because of their looks and vibe. The show was really setting them up like this is the first time the judges asked a group what song they were going to sing they are literally setting them up knowing Yujin is here. Like they didn't do this when one of the groups were singing Tifanny's song. Also big balls saying they can do it better than the original. Also they put Yujin in a tight spot asking her what she think like give the girl a break this was teeny uncomfortable to watch. She must have giant dinosaur balls to do that to Yujin. Yujin handled it really well by showing off how the dance is supposed to be like but still the entire encounter was awkward to watch. Yaning said she did that to give her members more hype and confidence I mean ... ok I guess but you need to add in the "but you don't" part.

Anyways with that out of the way lets get to the actual performance. Yaning herself ngl is actually really good she shines the most in the group for sure. There are quite a number of shaky parts but if I'm being honest some shaky parts were understandable like the part on the floor even Seungyeon sang it with help of a backtrack. The high note was ok I guess definitely not on par with the original. I wouldn't say it's bad because after watching many of the performances I would put this around middle-ish tier

:danceb::danceb::danceb::danceb:

What do you guys think of the performances?

Here is my ranking of all the performances including the thread yesterday

S Tier (really good almost flawless): Kick It, BOOMBAYAH, POPSTARS, CRAZY

A (good performance overall)Tier: Black Mamba, DUMDiDUMBDi, BLACK

B (ok performance, some good some bad) Tier: Fancy, Rumor, Hug U, Twinkle, Helicopter

C (really mehhhh) Tier: Violeta, HMPH, Roly Poly, Wannabe

D (why are you even here) Tier: Nonstop, Dolphin

My pick for the BEST performance in episode 1

:cutes::cutes::cutes:

• Who's the girl with long dark hair in the Crazy performance? Anyone know?

Kang Ye Seo

She's also previously in a group called BUSTERS she's the purple hair girl in the thumbnail

• Monster baby is really really good. The main vocal is a tiny little bit shaky in the first few seconds but then she pulled through. The entire group is really good tho, love how they still have their cuteness even for this fierce song.

The twins are so cute and adorable, their natural cuteness suits the song so much and that alone make me enjoy it even though it's not a really good performance.

• Monster baby is really really good. The main vocal is a tiny little bit shaky in the first few seconds but then she pulled through. The entire group is really good tho, love how they still have their cuteness even for this fierce song.

The twins are so cute and adorable, their natural cuteness suits the song so much and that alone make me enjoy it even though it's not a really good performance.

Omg right? Like I know they don't sound good but it's so hard to hate the performance they are so cute

• Kang Ye Seo

She's also previously in a group called BUSTERS she's the purple hair girl in the thumbnail

Holy crap I didn't know she was in BUSTERS! I Know that group.

• Agree, I also very impressed with this

Stable vocals and good execution

Too bad the editing was a mess

Also, if the rumor of new cell mate arrangements = mystery box came true, then that girl SYE (Seo Young-eun) really pick good cellmates and she will go far

• Generally agree but I would put Helicopter (and Black Mamba because of voice cracks) into group B. They definitely did better and with fewer flaws than Rumor, Twinkle & Fancy groups. And I think that some of the people dissing their vocals are most likely not judging the performance itself but the pre-show, lol, because if this is actually full live singing, then their vocals were decent - are there any fully live (no backing vocals & all that common stuff) performances from CLC to compare?

But Dolphin was :| Sorry but it legit was hard to watch and it's not like both of them are ranked #32 and 33, one of them is #08... it means that at least her theme song performance (I guess that's where the rankings are coming from or not?) was good, so I wonder what happenned to her there - too nervous?

• Kick It is the best performance for me. I really hope she goes far

• Generally agree but I would put Helicopter (and Black Mamba because of voice cracks) into group B. They definitely did better and with fewer flaws than Rumor, Twinkle & Fancy groups. And I think that some of the people dissing their vocals are most likely not judging the performance itself but the pre-show, lol, because if this is actually full live singing, then their vocals were decent - are there any fully live (no backing vocals & all that common stuff) performances from CLC to compare?

But Dolphin was :| Sorry but it legit was hard to watch and it's not like both of them are ranked #32 and 33, one of them is #08... it means that at least her theme song performance (I guess that's where the rankings are coming from or not?) was good, so I wonder what happenned to her there - too nervous?

I still put Black Mamba high because that voice crack wasn't that noticeable in the unedited performance (maybe I'll put it in A)

• with that Kick It group I have one thing in mind

there are moments when you clearly can hear recorded version of song playin there

but in same time it feel like they had perfect timing so it all blended in together in a superior way

• Whew okay it's long but here lol

• The Helicopter performance was fine, nothing special

And the Ya Ning chick was decent, I don't get all the Hype

If that is a crazy "dis" to you guys, I wonder what kind of upbringing you all had, here in Australia your expected to have better put downs against your best friends let alone supposed "rivals"

Also you could tell neither was exactly sitting there grinding their teeth, sending death stares and hating on the other, wouldn't be surprised if they actually like each other

Reminds me of the Drama in Produce 101 between Somi and Cathy (DIA) in that first episode, that was more fun to watch though (although Cathy got a lot of hate for that too if I remember correctly)

Also that ending was so transparent, clearly Yujin wouldn't be crying like that if she got negative feedback, she is waay to professional to behave like that, much more likely she just got lots of love and validation

• Loved your review you mentioned a few stuff that I missed out too

:pepelove1::pepelove1::pepelove1:

• Hey guys, i've been watching the first episode and it struck me, aren't those girls way less good than TWICE was in Sixteen ? I'm bringing it up because the only other show I watched of this type was Sixteen when Twice was formed, and I watched it last year so Twice was already big

It's the first ever group creating show I watch , so i haven't seen produce48 and the others that were mentioned, are the candidates of Girls Planet 999 generally good or not ?

• Hey guys, i've been watching the first episode and it struck me, aren't those girls way less good than TWICE was in Sixteen ? I'm bringing it up because the only other show I watched of this type was Sixteen when Twice was formed, and I watched it last year so Twice was already big

It's the first ever group creating show I watch , so i haven't seen produce48 and the others that were mentioned, are the candidates of Girls Planet 999 generally good or not ?

I feel each of the shows have their fair number of good and bad performances. Produce 48 has some pretty good ones (that's the other one that I watched)

• I see thanks, since i've only watched sixteen I found that there was a huge gap between twice in sixteen and the girls in this new show but I guess not everyone trained at JYP before doing such a show

Well the thing is Sixteen just had 16 girls and all of them were already trained in JYP which is big3 agency.

If you count talented girls here I bet you also can at least count 16 girls and we still have those who will perform in second episode.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!