Are people underestimating YG Entertainment's talents for hype promotion, brand boosting and PR?

• Something that Somi's comeback made me think of.

Teddy, I think no one can deny that, has been 1 of the most productive, talented producers that K-pop has seen, with a LOT of megahits that can be directly attributed to him.

Somi has that x-factor and potential it girl vibe from the moment she entered K-pop, and she has been a beloved variety queen for ages.

This should be a golden formula for mega hits and grand comebacks that'll hit it out of the ballpark easily, right?

Except it doesn't.

Somi has had several comebacks now, and they're nowhere near on the level of 2NE1 comebacks, BP comebacks, not even Lee Hi comebacks.

What makes the difference?

The only thing I can see is YG Entertainment.

Not sure what or how they do it, but they seem to have had a really good knack in promoting their girl groups (and in the past, also their boy groups and other artists) and make them big, and make Teddy's talents and their artists' potential work for them.

While when Teddy and his team has to do it themselves, it'll just remain potential unfulfilled of his protegés.

Maybe it's still too premature, and will Somi's Dumb Dumb become a smash hit. I really hope so, she deserves it, she really has something unique and precious.

But if not, it does make one wonder.

'No more shall man have wings to bear him to paradise. Henceforth, he shall walk.'

SWJ1P.gif

• Black Label are still learning the ropes.

I think for a successful creative like Teddy, it's very easy to think,

"All of these hits are because of me. I wrote them, and they were good, and everybody loved them. So if I continue to write what I consider to be great music, that success will keep coming."

When, obviously, reality is a different thing entirely.

• I don't know the creative process for Somi, but it makes sense to create songs for her with strong melodies then have Teddy build strong beats around the melodies. What has been coming through the pipeline for her, so far, doesn't feel inspired enough.

Edited once, last by DMV2DMZ ().

"All of these hits are because of me. I wrote them, and they were good, and everybody loved them. So if I continue to write what I consider to be great music, that success will keep coming."

I think that's what you see with Brave Entertainment. Brave Brothers turns out hit after hit for other groups that make them popular and famous, and then relies on sheer dumb luck for his own groups to get popular.

let's be friends

e9b8a6c6366aecb3faf71dcc6b4488775b109abb.gif

• This too.

Teddy didn't work on Somi at all... Literally one song per year.

• I think it's more that Somi was once really popular especially during ioi but she never capitalised on it. Since then she has very little promo outside music so no big TV appearances, not acting, not a cf queen etc. So the only thing she can fall back on is music which she only gets a once in a blue moon.

Unless she puts out a huge hit for everyone to take notice like Chungha, Sunmi etc then it's hard to find success with sporadic releases and little activities outside music to build her brand.

• i doubt somi would be doing much better as an actual yge artist. i think somi not doing well is because of several reasons:

-theres less excitement for soloists in SK usually (unless its a ballad). lots of popular idols have gone solo and flopped (like suzy)

-somi isnt really respected as a musician/singer.

-her songs haven't been super great or just not SK taste

-she lost a fair bit of hype by the time she debuted

YG doesnt mean automatic success. they promoted ONE's debut well but it just made no noise. i bet somi and ONE wouldve been super popular if they were in groups but they don't have enough to do well on their own

I think that's what you see with Brave Entertainment. Brave Brothers turns out hit after hit for other groups that make them popular and famous, and then relies on sheer dumb luck for his own groups to get popular.

So there's more needed than just a great, talented producer of songs and idols with star potential.

And isn't that what the YG staff and people add to the equation, with their promotional network and expertise in brand building?

Suhyun is yg and she flopped. So no. Ppl give yg too much credit when their artist does well.

There are no guarantees in life, even the best sportsmen don't score big time in every one of their games they play but instead have their off days too.

But YG have had too long a streak of successes with a wide variety of songs and artists for it to be just coincidental.

It becomes especially interesting when you take YG Entertainment out of the equation, and see how those artists and producers do on their own, to determine what it is that YGE adds to the equation.

CL, Minzy, Teddy, how successful were they with different teams and companies backing their comebacks and without an YG team doing their part of the job for them.

'No more shall man have wings to bear him to paradise. Henceforth, he shall walk.'

SWJ1P.gif

• First show me where Teddy even pushed Somi to achieve YGE GG level bc 1 song per year sure isn't a push.

honestly, Somi has it worser than all other YG artists.

Actually, this is a good point.

So it's basically the approach to building up the brand and image/rep of Somi as artist that Teddy has tackled in the wrong way, that makes the difference?

It's true that Somi's hype as potential new mega star wasn't capitalised on by either JYPE nor YGE/TBL, so that it faded and diminished.

And solo artists and group idols having their solo comebacks have it extra hard, without the backing of huge popularity and fan base.

Then it's actually impressive how YGE people have managed to turn a disadvantage, sparse content and overtly long hiatuses between comebacks, into an advantage by building up the brand power of their groups and artists, enough to bridge those long periods of inactivity between comebacks.

An advantage that Somi apparently didn't have, as a new upcoming solo artist, her former hype diminished and still a weak brand as a solo artist, with too little content and too much inactivity between comebacks.

SWJ1P.gif

• Totally. Teddy isn't working like YGE at all, 1 song per year is just crazy, even more when her debut year she had 2 songs and it become less like ??!

She needs a mini album per year, the least, to see her "full" potential.

• but suzy solo songs and OSTs always have great digital numbers? a better comparison would be solos that couldn't get PAK with their solos, unlike Suzy

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!