The American Pop Scene vs K-POP

• Power ballads are nice. a bit cheesy but really nice. I was talking about I'd do anything for love with one of my friends a few weeks ago and how there are really no overly dramatic love songs any more and that it is really a pity. I guess i'll have to listen to that again now.

from that era like 70s-80s I listen more to some psychedelic, prog rock and folk rock stuff, and a bit of fusion jazz, not so much the more straight rock. I don't know why. That era never really clicked for me in terms of "sound". Not even bands like sabbath or queen, or led zeppelin. So i never really listened to his stuff carefully. He is definitely great though, probably one of the most influential rockers of his time. But please, for the love of whatever is holy, somebody please stop politicians and movie directors from using born in the usa ever again. That poor song.

Bruh, are you trolling me right now? Is this an alt account trolling me? I have never heard Meatloaf being mentioned by anyone other than me on this forum, i'm about to faint. :whatk:

Springsteen has competition when it comes to my all time faves, and Meatloaf (and Jim Steinman moreso maybe, he's the genius who wrote so many legendary songs and most of Meat's hits) are the top contenders.

If you have time, tell me what you think of this song. It's not a Meatloaf song but Steinman wrote it for one of his other big name singers, Bonnie Tyler.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Nah, i am not an alt. 80s, early 90s songs like meatlof's are still heard on the radio and on tv series here from time to time, especially the ballads. Like that robin hood song from bryan adams, bon jovi, motley crue even. But like i said, I was never really invested on the whole scene from that time so my knowledge is somewhat limited. maybe i should mention savatage or something for the lulz, man in the mirror or whatever.

Springsteen has competition when it comes to my all time faves, and Meatloaf (and Jim Steinman moreso maybe, he's the genius who wrote so many legendary songs and most of Meat's hits) are the top contenders.

If you have time, tell me what you think of this song. It's not a Meatloaf song but Steinman wrote it for one of his other big name singers, Bonnie Tyler.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Bonnie tyler is a awesome. Total eclipse is still my favourite from her, the hero one was probably one of my favorites as a kid. For some reason she went to eurovision a few years back with the UK, did not do well i think. This is a nice song though.

• Those were some great examples, not gonna lie :-) I found the modern jazz especially intriguing, if you have more on those I'd love to hear.

Yeah, I've heard from older people about the party scene in Europe in those days and how legendary they used to be, wish I'd lived in those times and could've experienced it :oops:

The American pop music scene might be regressing further and further - speeded up by American music companies who're only going for the bare bottomline - but as you said, it provides opportunities for music trends and artists all over the world to jump in and fill the gap, especially since internet and social media has made it so much easier to get acquainted with music from all over the world.

So it's sad to see how far American pop music (and not only its pop music) has fallen from its peaks in their glory days, but that's the way of change, other music genres and scenes incl non-American can blossom.

• This thread is everything I thought a kpop forum would be. I love it.

there is a very specific approach into the composition/production requirements for the american mainstream pop though nowadays. SImple chord progressions, specific simple melodic patterns (just listen how many songs repeat the same note a million times in the melody), lack of key changes, very specific drum machine and bass sounds. The moment you move to more indie pop, ethereal pop and so on this does not apply though. And then there is bruno mars and jacob collier...

On the other hand, kpop because its main influence traditionally is the 90s/00s pop sound and jpop they don't have problems with more complex compositions. They actually need it, since they have to cram anything from 5 to 12 people in one song, and keep the listener interested. This is easier when you have 3, 4 or even 5 different sections/mini songs then a typical song structure. It is Good Vibrations or Bohemian Rhapsody taken to their pop extreme. But, there are still limitations, especially in the presentation and the lyrical content (kpop is after all made under korean laws), but even in the sonority (a song like the eurovision 2021 winning song would never fly in kpop as it is too heavy, regardless of presentation or lyrical content of course).

I still think american production (mixing, mastering) is better than kpop. I always feel there is a frequency gap in the kpop mixes, as if they used to much EQ in the lower-mid to lower regions, too much eq in the high mid, too much clashes between sonic elements (especially if there are synths and autotuned vocals with similar timbre at the same time) while i feel the western mixes are fuller in frequencies breath a bit more (less sonic clashes).

I hope I see you around more often. Your so cool <3

• why are some people comparing the whole of American pop music or even the whole American music industry to only idol music, when Kpop is more than idol music? At least make it equal

What the west coined as kpop is what Koreans call idol music

Actual Korean popular music is called Gayo if I’m not mistaken

• I enjoy the American scene more than the kpop scene. There’s diversity, better songs and more creativity. Lots of artistes have their own colour compared to kpop.

Kpop has better performances and more budgeted mvs although there are some western acts whose mvs are pretty neat too like Katy Perry.

So far i have not seen anything noteworthy for me to put the kpop scene above the American scene. I even put kpop below j rock. Just a few groups in kpop are making music that can stand the test of time

• why are some people comparing the whole of American pop music or even the whole American music industry to only idol music, when Kpop is more than idol music? At least make it equal

This!! Korean music is more than the idol scene and it's unfair to bring up the entire history of American music without considering the entire Korean music industry too.

• Yeah, I have been told stories about the raves and the open air parties too by older people. Everything sounded fun.

the american mainstream is more or less in complete collapse musically. The productions remain top notch most of the time (sound engineers and studios in the US are among the best in the world, definitely above kpop, so if a song has instruments recorded like strings, or brass or whatever, probably they are going to sound incredible). It helps that minimalism is the trend nowadays so you don't have to put a ton of different sounds and instruments in a song and can keep it simpler, so the mixes in american pop sound less chaotic. But yeah, in terms of melody and chords and song parts, they don't sound interesting most of the times. It makes sense if you are into pop to get bored of it and seek other scenes, and kpop seems to fill this gap nowadays.

For the jazz you mentioned, at this point, other than the US scene of course, the UK - especially London - scene is becoming really huge. It used to be japan, no it is the UK. There are also some south american artists which are making a name for themselves.

• The way I see it kpop is popular for things external to music. Performance for example the glitz and glam of slick choreo and colorful hair.

Seeing how TikTok is literally about songs going viral because of cute choreo it’s no surprise kpop is so popular.

Everyone is making pop music. To stand out you need something more. Which I believe kpop did brilliantly. Performances and connecting with fans is kpop’s biggest strength. The western music industry is learning that.

• American music doesnt interest me a bit anymore. whispering is seen as singing these days.. Mediocre albums and songs are being hit.

Used to love Taylor's old music but not my cup of tea anymore

Adele dont release at all

Rihanna is busy making billions

Britney is fighting her own battles

Old eminem stuff is more playable than current scene

Now i dont even know 95% of acts on charts lol

• Since we are saying which industry we prefer I say kpop. Kpop has everything I was looking for. People that know how to present themselves musically, fan content, kind people and more. Recently, the western industry has become kind of boring. The songs aren't really what they used to be with hits here and there. It kind of reminds me of the Indian musical industry when I completely left it. The only western artist I hardcore stan now is Ariana Grande.

• Since we are saying which industry we prefer I say kpop. Kpop has everything I was looking for. People that know how to present themselves musically, fan content, kind people and more. Recently, the western industry has become kind of boring. The songs aren't really what they used to be with hits here and there. It kind of reminds me of the Indian musical industry when I completely left it. The only western artist I hardcore stan now is Ariana Grande.

can I ask you something? I am not being aggresive or anything. I have seen this many times last weeks and it still gets under my skin when i see it and it kind of angers me, people in the kpop community saying western music, or western industry and even western pop, and they really mean top40 or mainstream american pop. Why is that? maybe it is just me, but i find it really weird. It is like me saying asian music and just mean kpop or jpop. makes no sense.

• can I ask you something? I am not being aggresive or anything. I have seen this many times last weeks and it still gets under my skin when i see it and it kind of angers me, people in the kpop community saying western music, or western industry and even western pop, and they really mean top40 or mainstream american pop. Why is that? maybe it is just me, but i find it really weird. It is like me saying asian music and just mean kpop or jpop. makes no sense.

I really don't know lol. I think it is because the America is west of South Korea so you know people call it western entertainment. I also think it might have to do with what some Knetz call the american industry. I think a lot of them call it the western industry or something similar so kpop stans use that name too. I kind of got used to it so I don't mind it.

• I really don't know lol. I think it is because the America is west of South Korea so you know people call it western entertainment. I also think it might have to do with what some Knetz call the american industry. I think a lot of them call it the western industry or something similar so kpop stans use that name too. I kind of got used to it so I don't mind it.

Oh, i get it. It really seemed weird because for example in Europe each country has its own pop scene and they are very different from one another, not to include other music genres and scenes like rock or jazz or classical which still are western music/part of the western music industry too, so I was like, why are they saying western for the American pop when it also includes so many countries and scenes. it makes sense if the focus was on the US to view it like that and then it was taken up by the fans. thank you.

• Oh, i get it. It really seemed weird because for example in Europe each country has its own pop scene and they are very different from one another, not to include other music genres and scenes like rock or jazz or classical which still are western music/part of the western music industry too, so I was like, why are they saying western for the American pop when it also includes so many countries and scenes. it makes sense if the focus was on the US to view it like that and then it was taken up by the fans. thank you.

Your welcome

• I think they're pretty much equal. there's pros and cons to both. I prefer the production of american pop music. idk what sort of crack they put in there but it's fabulous, seamless and so easy on the ears. And unless you're into kpop already, "american pop" tends to be catchier. I've had kiss me more stuck in my head for ages. This song went viral on tiktok many times for different parts of the song. it's pretty nuts. There's just more longevity with american pop music.

I prefer Kpop on the other hand for the performances and dances. They have stage presence and it's just so much fun to watch them dance and have fun on stage. The mvs are pretty cool too but I'm not big on watching mvs in general. The style and fashion is great too. I prefer it over the ones in american pop. kpop is also filled with content so you're always involved or watching something.

There are exceptions to this but that's generally it imo.

• I prefer the western pop scene. Kpop does have the advantage of having some great groups but nothing has topped my personal experience with the American pop scene. Pop is short for popular and it’s always interesting to see what the next pop wave is going to bring. Loved seeing Dua go from New Rules to her new era. I also love the debate about how to categorize Doja Cat as her career goes on. Also loving the curveball Billie threw with her new era. I’ve never cared about the flashiness of a mv since I grew up on RNB/Rap/Hiphop but I do appreciate how Kpop is very creative visually and I think the industry deserves it’s flowers for that.

• The American Pop Scene is very boring to me.

That's why I wanted to know more about K-pop in the first place, when I saw it for the first time. It was like something new, shiny and exciting to learn about.

Seriously, nowadays, except for 1-2 songs per year, I rarely hear anything from the American Pop Scene that is actually good for something or doesn't get boring way too fast. Actually, even my country's pop music sucks and is just the same trashed beat over and over again.

:wellr:

• I think a lot of american pop music is generic except for a few artists that stand out

Kpop can also be generic but there is more diversity in music production and concepts + kpop has catchier songs and better production

• I've bookmarked this thread, so I can explore all the music and artists being mentioned at my leisure.

Feel free to add me to your taglist, whenever you feel like sharing more and other interesting music and artists you might encounter :-)

As for the American pop music scene, yeah, it feels like the creative spirit has gone from it or lessened immensely compared with what it produced in the 2nd half of the 20th century. It's more like that creative spirit can be found elsewhere, in other music genres and in pop music of other countries and cultures.

I also realise that K-pop music is often being compared with the entirety of the Billboard 200 as an example of how K-pop music is less diverse and varied than American music. But that's an unfair comparison: K-pop isn't the entirety of Korean music, nor is it the entirety of the Gaon Top 200 chart.

So what's basically being compared is a small subset of Korean music with a far wider range of American music.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!