MJ

• MJ (엠제이) is a South Korean singer, actor, songwriter, and model signed under Fantagio Music. He is currently the lead vocalist and oldest member of the boy group Astro. He also participated in the idol trot group Super Five.

I. Pre-Debut

MJ was born Kim Myungjun (김명준) on March 5, 1994 in Suwon, Gyeonggi-do, South Korea. In 2012, he was a contestant in the JYP Entertainment X HUM Audition and won a one year scholarship to Seoul Arts College. Prior to debuting in Astro, MJ was part of Fantagio's iTeen rookie talent development program as part of a group called iTeen Boys.

It has been said that MJ was a trainee for approximately six months before he debuted as a member of Astro. Prior to debut, he made his acting debut in the web drama To Be Continued.

II. Career

On February 23, 2016, MJ officially debuted as a member of Astro. In February 2019, MJ sand his first OST "You're My Everything" for the Korean drama My Only One. In August of 2019, he appeared on King of the Masked Singer as Driver Kim.

In April 2020, MJ sang the OST "Sweet Spring" for the Korean drama Eccentric! Chef Moon. In that same month it was confirmed that MJ would take part in his first musical. MJ, along with 2AM's Jo Kown, NU'EST's Ren, and Shin Joo Hyup were cast in the Korean version fo the musical Everybody's Talking About Jamie. They would share the role of a teenager named Jamie who dreams of becoming a drag queen.

In July 2020, MJ was cast in the MBC variety series Favorite Entertainment. He was selected to be a part of an idol trot group, Super Five, formed by famed trot singer Jang Yoong Jung. Super Five debuted on August 22, 2020. While part of the group, MJ promoted using his real name.

As a song writer, MJ has participated in the lyrics and composing for several Astro songs including "Bloom", "ONE&ONLY", and "gemini".

On October 26, 2021, it was announced that MJ would become the first member of Astro make his solo debut with the release of the digital single "Happy Virus". The single was released on November 3.

III. Discography

Artwork Title Format Release Date
    Happy Virus Digital Single November 3, 2021

IV. Soundtrack Appearances

Title Year Drama
    내 삶의 전부 (All of My Life) 2019 My Only One
    봄날애(愛) (Sweet Spring) 2020 Eccentric! Chef Moon

V. Filmography

VI. Web Series

Year Title Role Network
    2015 To be Continued Himself MBC Every1
    2016 My Romantic Some Recipe Guest Naver TVCast
    2017 Sweet Revenge Himself Oksusu
    2019 Soul Plate Angel Raoniel Naver TVCast, YouTube
    2021 Find the Hidden Guy - YouTube

VII. Variety Shows

Year Title Role Network
    2019 Gotta Go to Know Main Cast SBS of FunE
    2019 Go Together Travel Alone Main Cast TV Chosun
    2019 Insane Quiz Show Season 2 Main Cast vLive
    2019 Blanket Kick at Night MC tVn D
    2019 King of Masked Singer Contestant (Ep 213-214) MBC
    2020 Favorite Entertainment Kim Myungjun (Super Five) MBC
    2021 Fact IN Star MC TBS
    2021 Godiva Show Contestant Donga TV

VIII. Musicals

Run Title Role Venue
    July 4 – September 12, 2020 Everybody's Talking About Jamie Jamie LG Art Center
    December 3, 2021-February 6, 2022 Jack the Ripper Daniel KEPCO Art Center

VI. Trivia

• His nickname is “The Happy Virus”, because he’s always laughing.
    • He calls himself “Smile Engine”.
    • He shares a room with Rocky and Sanha.