Top 5 Girl groups digitally now?

• Well ok but if you meant to say all that but only posted that graph without anything else to clarify what you meant then your first post didn’t really succeed in conveying your message, just saying lol

• Not Moomoos downplaying Red Velvet while simultaneously trying to pretend like Wheein didn't flop lmao If at least Mamamoo sold albums maybe then they could try coming for Seulrene and Wendy. It's been 7 years and still the same inferiority complex

Who is downplaying Red Velvet exactly?

Their last hit was Psycho (almost two years ago) and prior to that it was Bad boy (3 years ago). In the meantime they had a bunch of flop releases. Not to mention that Seulgi/Irene and Wendy didn't do well either

You can have your albums sales sis, but I'll expect better from an SM group because those numbers don't even come close to I-zone :pepe-smug:

• Total Digital Points in the 2020 Yearly Gaon Digital Chart (I'm to lazy to sum over all months and even more over all weeks)

1. Oh My Girl: 1,178,182,476
    2. Blackpink: 1,098,736,404
    3. Twice: 764,530,363
    4. Itzy: 718,605,154
    5. Red Velvet: 693,910,356
    6. MAMAMOO: 669,122,542

If anyone wants a more correct month by month or even week by week, feel free to do it. Or ask massive for the numbers.

Why even post a list if it's inaccurate. If you summed up the numbers from here https://xn--o39an51b2re.com/gaon/yearlyjisu/2020 the list is like this:

2020 Girl Group Cumulative Digital Points

1. BlackPink - 1,433,455,863 (12 songs)

2. Oh My Girl - 1,251,102,188 (5 songs)

3. Mamamoo - 758,368,792 (5 songs)

4. Twice - 753,299,906 (8 songs)

5. ITZY - 740,875,128 (4 songs)

6. Red Velvet - 721,952,443 (5 songs)

7. IZ*ONE - 651,676,087 (22 songs)

8. (G)I-DLE - 432,268,348 (4 songs)

• I looked in the Gaon website that only lists the top 200. I didn't have the top 1000.

As I said, anyone is free to do a more accurate list if they want.

• Thanks for posting the accurate list. Something seemed off about the other one...

• Who is downplaying Red Velvet exactly?

Their last hit was Psycho (almost two years ago) and prior to that it was Bad boy (3 years ago). In the meantime they had a bunch of flop releases. Not to mention that Seulgi/Irene and Wendy didn't do well either

You can have your albums sales sis, but I'll expect better from an SM group because those numbers don't even come close to I-zone :pepe-smug:

Seulgi/Irene and Wendy might have done less well, but they still did better than Wheein's latest release, which seems relevant for your entire thread topic which is about digitals 'now'.

Also, you seem to contradict yourself when you're trying to drag releases and comebacks of many years ago while claiming to talk about latest/recent digitals, but for the sake of it, let's indulge.

Between Bad Boy and Psycho there was also Power Up, that did great and even got a PAK, a Perfect All Kill, which was the only one done by either RV and other SM groups.

Ignoring or trivializing that is what Artemosia was referring to: that is what downplaying is, which is what some posters frequently like to do regarding RV :wellr:

In any case, while your dissing of RV's past releases has little to do with the entire topic you claim to talk about with this thread, it's also irrelevant for it: like others in this thread already mentioned, it's about digitals now, and for that the recent and latest releases of said groups are the ones that count most.

Or else feel free to explain what exactly you mean with 'digitally now', and what you want to be excluded from it and what included :siptear:

• Blackpink, Brave Girls, and Oh My Girl are the top three. No other girl group has had a massive hit song since 2019.

At this point, it's pretty much guaranteed that anything Blackpink releases goes top 3 on Melon within the first 24 hours and, contrary to people who said OMG were one-hit wonders, Dun Dun Dance is actually doing pretty well without decent promotions yet. Just shy of Melon top 10, top 10 on every other chart, will probably rise more later. Brave Girls are massively popular atm in SK and I can see this hype lasting for their new comeback (I think the song does have to be good and super catchy like Rollin though).

IMO, Mamamoo are number 4 because Dingga made it into Melon top 10 and since people are taking about solo work, Maria was a big hit.

I think Itzy is number 5, but I would say it depends on how RV and Twice do for their next comebacks. Twice's last 3 comebacks have all had mediocre chart performance, and neither the IS subunit or Wendy's solo did well. We'll have to see.

• Also, you seem to contradict yourself when you're trying to drag releases and comebacks of many years ago while claiming to talk about latest/recent digitals, but for the sake of it, let's indulge.

Between Bad Boy and Psycho there was also Power Up, that did great and even got a PAK, a Perfect All Kill, which was the only one done by either RV and other SM groups.

Ignoring or trivializing that is what Artemosia was referring to: that is what downplaying is, which is what some posters frequently like to do regarding RV :wellr:

True, I forgot about Power Up, my bad. But still, even if we do the maths, including ONLY group releases, Mamamoo is ahead of Red Velvet. So I'm not really understanding where I was downplaying them.

The gap isn't that significant though. Both Wheein and Wendy did equally bad recently.

• why would you compare a double title track with two different releases from different albums?

MMM only released one album in 2020, TWICE had 2. But MMM promoted two songs, so they work for this scenario.

If I compared only Dingga to More & More and ICSM, TWICE would still be above them anyway, so...

• MMM only released one album in 2020, TWICE had 2. But MMM promoted two songs, so they work for this scenario.

If I compared only Dingga to More & More and ICSM, TWICE would still be above them anyway, so...

What about Cry for me? Isn't that pretty much the same? Why not include that in the narrative?

We all know pretty much nobody charts well with two songs simoultanesly with the excaption of Blackpink

• What about Cry for me? Isn't that pretty much the same? Why not include that in the narrative?

We all know pretty much nobody charts well with two songs simoultanesly with the excaption of Blackpink

Cry for Me wasn't targeted for Korea as far as I'm aware. And it's not a title track.

If you're trying to get me to change my opinion, I'm not going to.

• What about Cry for me? Isn't that pretty much the same? Why not include that in the narrative?

Cry For Me wasn't even promoted and was aimed towards the West so I don't see how that's a fair comparison.

Brave Girls are literally charting 2 songs as we speak...Oh My Girl are charting 3.

I still think MMM are above TWICE but Cry For Me shouldn't be included in the equation imo.

• True, I forgot about Power Up, my bad. But still, even if we do the maths, including ONLY group releases, Mamamoo is ahead of Red Velvet. So I'm not really understanding where I was downplaying them.

The gap isn't that significant though. Both Wheein and Wendy did equally bad recently.

If it wasn't on purpose but simply forgetfulness, then it's no biggie, stuff like that happens.

But then I refer to the other part of my former post:

'it's also irrelevant for it: like others in this thread already mentioned, it's about digitals now, and for that the recent and latest releases of said groups are the ones that count most.'

If you want to talk about digitals now, how groups did 2 and more years ago has no function in that discussion, only their latest comebacks or how things went the past year.

I can see how RV is a unique case though compared with all the other groups, since they're the only group that didn't have a comeback in 2020/2021, even if their latest comeback did very, very well.

Not entirely true, now that I think of it: BG didn't have a comeback either, but they went viral, which is a unique situation on its own.

As for Wheein and Wendy: true, both didn't do well digitally, unfortunately. However, Seulgi&Irene's sub-unit did a lot better than both.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!