Bang Si Hyuk claims star power is the most important thing

• External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

yeah we can tell :hazquestion:

• External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

yeah we can tell :hazquestion:

I got what he meant ))))

"You can troll on your main and we have plenty examples of that" (c) Ves

soojin-seo-soojin.gifsoojin-seo-soojin.gifsoojin-gidle.gif

• well he is a business man and for making money he is right

External Content www.youtube.com

• The tweeter is off the mark (par for the course with any Twitter discourse) and probably fishing for enagement.

It factor (aka charisma) does not necessarily make one a better performer. Skills make someone a better performer if they have the same level of charisma (high or low or in between). However, charisma can mask, possibly overcome any issues in performances, and even have them excel over more skilled individuals. Because charisma can help craft a narrative about you and your work that's beneficial for you.

I used to watch wrestling (specifically WWE but sometimes TNA) back in the day. And in the 90s, there was this pool of wrestlers that had all of the charisma in the world to engage and draw in audiences. There were routine electricity every show. However, these performers (wrestlers specifically) were also competent at their craft. These weren't nugu nobodies. And of course it wasn't them alone but a collection of individuals, writers, composers, and marketers excelling at their craft to create that environment.

Nowadays, from what I've seen, many performers are more technically competent, but they may fail to draw in the same level of electricity, which some believe is due to lack of charisma. So even though the performers are technically better, they often don't get the same level of engagement and fan reaction.

Which is what I think Bang is talking about here when he looks for "star power." However, every company looks for star power and tries to balance it with skill. You need some base level of skill and as much charisma that you can find.

The issue is what happens when a flaw pops up and your stars' flaws are exposed. You can't have just star power because if a big enough error happens, then you will be exposed as a shitter. And if you're exposed as not knowing what you're doing, then no amount of charisma will save you from hardcore fans.

If you mean more casual fans, then they will probably look less critically at your errors (and possibly not notice), but the same as above applies to them. They just have more tolerance due to relative lack of interest.

lack-luster dozens

Is this new slang? What does "dozens" mean in this context? Like a dime a dozen?

• I feel so old. So basically a dozen is just someone who is bad in all aspects of being an idol, not even one thing. Thank you.

I assume they're fishing for those impressions then :S

• when has an ultra talented idol with zero charm and minimal looks ever hit big?

External Content youtu.be

:hazquestion:

• I don't think so. I think there should be a middle ground between them .

I mean he didn’t necessarily say that vocal ability is not needed. He said that star power is the most important which is true. At the end of the day, to survive in the music industry, you need to stand out and have great marketability. There are so many great vocalists who don’t make it. The superstars we know, both old and new, have something more than just vocals that draw people to them

• I mean he didn’t necessarily say that vocal ability is not needed. He said that star power is the most important which is true. At the end of the day, to survive in the music industry, you need to stand out and have great marketability. There are so many great vocalists who don’t make it. The superstars we know, both old and new, have something more than just vocals that draw people to them

he didn't say that indeed. But in literally none of the groups he created there is a single good vocalist. So i think that speaks for itself. And yes u need more than talent in the industry, its really sad people only started paying attention to lady gaga when she started singing in her underwear.

• Like Moka or Eunchae :clown: ?? Innovators of the 'dying goat' vocal tone :facepalm: .

There must be some balance between star power, looks and talents.

That's why girls like Taeyeon, Jennie and Hanni are so popular. They're the whole package (differs in terms of beauty, talent and star factor of course). But all have a decent/good amount of this three factors.

Moreover this 'balance' also concerns the group. If there are 2 members who are very weak vocals, there must be at last 2 proper vocals and 1 decent sub vocal. Balance again.

And without good branding and marketing and decent music, most of it is probably useless.

• I don't think so. For me, marketability/branding is something that comes from how the company manages the group/idol. Star power is something that comes from the idol, their charisma/ own charms.

Star power includes the artist’s image, charisma and personality which can attract fans. Star power and Branding are heavily intertwined. It’s literally how the public sees you and that’s the part you showcase. Marketability literally refers to how appealing you are to the general public which depends on your inherent abilities. It’s your potential.

Promotion is what I believe you are confusing with marketability, which refers to the active effort and strategies to sell or make the public aware of your marketability. That visibility aspect is what is handled by the company.

• Can't stand his musty ass but he's not wrong. It factor is what always matterd the most which is also why Madonna is the queen of pop while there were so many better vocalists than her. It still would be good if hybe cared more about vocals but it doesn't change that he's right. People only use this to push their " hybe idols are untalented" agenda as if all their faves are vocalists like Mariah Carey. Cause no they aren't and if they are popular than it's mostly because they look good or have interesting personalitys. This is just the reality of the kpop or any other entertainment industry.

• Star power includes the artist’s image, charisma and personality which can attract fans.

I see star power just as it.

Marketability/branding I meant the designed concept and overall image the agency will give to the group itself even before the group is promoted. Since companies, most of the time, choose trainees and market them the way they already previously set how the image of the group will be and the idol have to fit what is already stabilized, not the other way round. That's why I said sometimes the idol might be just in the wrong group and it won't enhance their abilities to shine.

Then later, when everything is set and decided, comes what you mentioned later about the promotional tactics, what is also important

Promotion is what I believe you are confusing with marketability, which refers to the active effort and strategies to sell or make the public aware of your marketability. That visibility aspect is what is handled by the company

But regardless of the naming, you already understood what I meant what is the main point of the reason why I commented on the thread, so okay.

HUNTER X HUNTER COMEBACK 10.07!

img.gif

• Not to call out Rain, but he has a lot of star power and the catalog just isn’t there. Got to have some songs to make your legacy on the game.

• Disagree. The most important thing is marketability/brand.

Does star power even matter If the idol is in the wrong group for them and the agency has 0 intentions to showcase/enhance their strengths? They might set themselves apart within their own group, but hardly will hit the masses.

Well miss A begs to differ people keep saying JYP promoted Suzy more but in fact she only did one drama and her popularity skyrocketed since then JYP tried to push the other members but no one cared about them.

Branding/Marketing is mostly done by companies and sometimes they do push members more than others but at the end the one with star power even with minimal promo become the most popular.

• Well miss A begs to differ people keep saying JYP promoted Suzy more but in fact she only did one drama and her popularity skyrocketed since then JYP tried to push the other members but no one cared about them.

Branding/Marketing is mostly done by companies and sometimes they do push members more than others but at the end the one with star power even with minimal promo become the most popular.

Well, Suzy was in an appealing group which was marketed correctly and became extremely successful since their very first release, putting her image on spotlight and her company actually accepted for her the acting gig that was the breakthrough moment of her career.

The stars were pretty much aligned for her star power to shine as It should.

HUNTER X HUNTER COMEBACK 10.07!

img.gif

• Star power includes the artist’s image, charisma and personality which can attract fans. Star power and Branding are heavily intertwined. It’s literally how the public sees you and that’s the part you showcase. Marketability literally refers to how appealing you are to the general public which depends on your inherent abilities. It’s your potential.

Promotion is what I believe you are confusing with marketability, which refers to the active effort and strategies to sell or make the public aware of your marketability. That visibility aspect is what is handled by the company.

Disagree a bit. What an artist needs is skill and star power (which is charisma). What their image and personality are would be branding, which are distinct from charisma and skill and is what makes them distinct from another skilled or charismatic artist. Skill and charisma are the engines, and personality and image are the coat of paint in other words. Marketability depends on skill, star power, image, and personality; the latter two can be made up by the artist and company. Promotion is as you said.

All four factors don't really matter without promotion though. It's why big 4 idols have such a large advantage. There are probably nugu idols with tons more skill and charisma than famous ones, but they don't have the opportunities or even attention to show it.

• I mean is he wrong?

but remember he isn't saying skills and talent aren't important

it's just that star power is more important...

we must always remember the purpose of an idol isn't merely singing, dancing, rapping etc etc and more often than not they become secondary to other things which one might consider star power...

but at the end of the day regardless of whether one believes what BSH said is true or not - does it change your personal views about the kpop groups you fav or like?

• Business pov, short term profit: correct.

But you will create future of idols with whole depression and mental health once they pass their "star" age. I don't understand why so called "fans" will support this business ethic without even trying to put criticism on their idols. Make them humble once a while will get them far in future.

• Disagree a bit. What an artist needs is skill and star power (which is charisma). What their image and personality are would be branding, which are distinct from charisma and skill and is what makes them distinct from another skilled or charismatic artist. Skill and charisma are the engines, and personality and image are the coat of paint in other words. Marketability depends on skill, star power, image, and personality; the latter two can be made up by the artist and company. Promotion is as you said.

All four factors don't really matter without promotion though. It's why big 4 idols have such a large advantage. There are probably nugu idols with tons more skill and charisma than famous ones, but they don't have the opportunities or even attention to show it.

It’s true promotion is important but I believe marketability is still the most important. We have seen artistes heavily promoted still fail to survive in the music industry. But artistes with great marketability who are promoted are mostly guaranteed to make it. It’s still the IT factor that makes or breaks your longevity in this current sphere

• This thread contains 53 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!