Newjeans being announced as part of Kouhaku in last minute create quite a huge debate among Jnetz

• I'm always excited for Kouhaku, yet I didn't know Newjeans was part of the lineup until I saw a huge debate in my timeline among the Japanese about this. They were added at the very last minute, while the show is on December 31st while the line up was already being announced months ago. I don't think this has ever happened before. Some Japanese on Twitter are mad because there are already plenty Kpop groups in the lineup (Lsf, Skz, and Seventeen) and now they want to add Nj.

Another reasons are because the group has no Japanese members and no Japanese debut yet. NHK even gave them the 10 pm slot, basically the most important slot for that festival, and highlighted them as the main performers. Jnetz is just as toxic as Knetz, lol so this kind of backlash is expected. There's already a huge debate to boycott K-pop from entering their local TV, especially like China did. But overall, obviously a lot of them are excited too.

20231229_210901.jpg

• There's always backlash for K-pop groups on Kouhaku every year they are there, especially when It's their first time.

The only one who doesn't get hate nowdays is TWICE. After multiple participations, viewers got used to them.

The backlash and boycott's threats are just highlighted now, because of this NewJeans' unusual situation, but It's nothing new.

• There's always backlash for K-pop groups on Kouhaku every year they are there, especially when It's their first time.

The only one who doesn't get hate nowdays is TWICE. After multiple participations, viewers got used to them.

The backlash and boycott's threats are just highlighted now, because of this NewJeans' unusual situation, but It's nothing new.

I know that, which make it even unfortunate to Newjeans being announced in the very last minutes. Yet, I wonder why this happened.

• I know that, which make it even unfortunate to Newjeans being announced in the very last minutes. Yet, I wonder why this happened.

Honestly, I was very surprised when they weren't announced back in november alongside Seventeen, Stray Kids and Le Sserafim. I was expecting them above any other korean act, despite the fact they have 0 japanese songs or released versions, due to how popular their songs were in the country through the year.

Curious to see their medley of OMG + ETA + Ditto and If they will perform unreleased japanese versions...

• Honestly, I was very surprised when they weren't announced back in november alongside Seventeen, Stray Kids and Le Sserafim. I was expecting them above any other korean act, despite the fact they have 0 japanese songs or released versions, due to how popular their songs were in the country through the year.

Curious to see their medley of OMG + ETA + Ditto and If they will perform unreleased japanese versions...

I actually saw some Jnetz pointing out that Newjeans might kick off their Japan debut in January, kinda like how LSF did it last year. So, Kouhaku seems more like exposure for them.

• ^I can assure you that it was the show that pleaded with ADOR to have NewJeans attend, not the other way around. Even Billboard had to request NewJeans to perform at their show, and that was pre-recorded in Korea.

They had the biggest songs of the year in Japan, so I don't see what the big deal is. People need to stop complaining about crap that ultimately doesn't matter. Why waste brain cells crying about the hottest group in K-Pop coming to perform?

• Fairly certain Kohaku has been trying to get them to attend the show for some time now since the performance is prerecorded. It's pretty unusual for a prerecorded performance to be aired on Kohaku instead of the artists actually attending the show (especially for the 10 pm slot). I assume they probs realized there wasn't any other way for them to get Newjeans on the show, so they relented last minute, allowing a prerecorded performance instead.

• The late entrance is not a good look and it does give a "our company forced our way into the show" energy but I'm sure the Japanese audience will forget all their grievances after the tours start.

I thought they couldn't attend NHK because of Japan's record award

This is just last minute, they are not even on the show

• Kouhaku usually releases a list of performers a month in advance to increase hype and only release the special performers a few days leading up the D-Day as a surprise to get people excited.

So far I think only NewJeans and Yoshiki were announced as a last minute addition. So these two could be the special performers for the night. And correct me if i'm wrong but NewJeans might be the first artist to sing their songs in Koreans at Kouhaku.

Either way New Years Eve tomorrow is going to give NewJeans great exposure in both Japan at Kouhaku Uta Gassen, as well as in the US at Dick Clark's New Year's Rockin Eve :danceb:

Also NHK is doing a prime time documentary with only NewJeans and YOASOBI next week, so tune in if you want to ^^

• I can imagine the Japanese public will really love the girls and their performance style, once it blows over like every other time with a k-group this will probably be a great opportunity for them :pepe-yes-sign:

I'm really excited to see what they've cooked up for tomorrow's performance ^^

Also hopefully we'll be able to see a MISAMO x NewJeans interaction at Kouhaku since both groups will be attending :holding-back-tears: I can already imagine Sana's reaction lol

Maybe a behind the scenes footage or a tiktok challenge even :/

• NewJeans had bigger hit songs then every other kpop group going this year in Japan and people think Hybe forced them into the show :pepe-cross:

Wut? You think Kouhaku begged MHJ to bring NJ to Japan? If they wanted NJ so bad, why didnt they invite them in November? Most likely this was Hybe leveraging its muscle (BTS, Seventeen, LSRFM are three of the top 6 Kpop groups in Japan along with NJ, SKZ and Twice).

Maybe Ador had other plans for NJ that fell through and now they needed somehwere to go for NYE.

• Kinda want NJs to debut their songs in Japanese for the first time that would be cool. Super Shy Japanese or Hype Biy Japanese versions. But maybe they don’t have time to do that

• Kinda want NJs to debut their songs in Japanese for the first time that would be cool. Super Shy Japanese or Hype Biy Japanese versions. But maybe they don’t have time to do that

I want that to happen as well. But i have a gut feeling they won't do so for the time being. If they're not gonna release their own Japanese single, then at least some sort of collab with Japanese artists or even an anime OST would be cool

• Wut? You think Kouhaku begged MHJ to bring NJ to Japan? If they wanted NJ so bad, why didnt they invite them in November? Most likely this was Hybe leveraging its muscle (BTS, Seventeen, LSRFM are three of the top 6 Kpop groups in Japan along with NJ, SKZ and Twice).

Maybe Ador had other plans for NJ that fell through and now they needed somehwere to go for NYE.

Well, who knows actually. Nhk even giving Newjeans the special medley stage, and the only one performing three songs there, while even Svt and Lsrfm will only be performing one of their Japanese songs. So, if it's just Hybe leveraging its muscle, they wouldn't get this kind of treatment yet NHK seems to favour Newjeans a lot compared to others kpop acts who present.

As for why it was announced late, again nobody knows. Logically, do you think Newjeans can just squeeze in randomly if their other plans fell through just because they needed somewhere to go during NYE? Obviously it comes with an offer lol especially if it's in the very last minute. Yet, they even given a special stage and become one of the main highlight.

Nhk also announced Yoshiki along with Newjeans, well, he's a very popular act and he just agree to perform after they contacting him many time. So, who knows. Or, Newjeans probably is a special surprise for that festival.

• Wut? You think Kouhaku begged MHJ to bring NJ to Japan? If they wanted NJ so bad, why didnt they invite them in November? Most likely this was Hybe leveraging its muscle (BTS, Seventeen, LSRFM are three of the top 6 Kpop groups in Japan along with NJ, SKZ and Twice).

New Jeans weren’t the only act announced late but good try lmao

• Why are all your posts about NewJeans

I have made 5 post mentioning Newjeans in the entire month of December lol.

1 of which only mentioned them alongside Dex as the only names i recognized and the 2 others in regards to specific questions about 4th gen groups or which I highlighted NJ has having the best chance to match Twice and BP touring numbers of 4th gen

But do they fit the victim narative and any fair criticism being a hater? Probably not. So I guess out of the hundred os so post ive made this month I only talk about Newjeans :|

• Honestly, I don't care if it's the show asking NJs to be on it, or HYBE buying their way into it or whatever

It doesn't really matter.

What matters is that I think the show would be a great avenue for NJs to expand their reach into other markets I hope the girls have fun

Obviously you don't care but I don't think anyone would want their group to be called a fraud, right? Imagine saying Ive been invited last year because SS paid NHK. To be honest, it's even weird in the first place if anyone thought Hybe was buying a space for NJ here when the group just became the first foreign act to win Soty in Japan, and the song isn't even in Japanese. Among all K-pop groups coming, they had the best digital performance in Japan this year, so if someone is buying their way, it's definitely not Newjeans. If I'm not mistaken, they were even invited to almost all the major music festivals in Japan this year too.

• Obviously you don't care but I don't think anyone would want their group to be called a fraud, right? Imagine saying Ive been invited last year because SS paid NHK. To be honest, it's even weird in the first place if anyone thought Hybe was buying a space for NJ here when the group just became the first foreign act to win Soty in Japan, and the song isn't even in Japanese. Among all K-pop groups coming, they had the best digital performance in Japan this year, so if someone is buying their way, it's definitely not Newjeans. If I'm not mistaken, they were even invited to almost all the major music festivals in Japan this year too.

People talking about 'buying' seem to be sour that they're doing so well.

As for Kpop in Japan: I remember there being a performance once where several groups were performing (both Jpop and Kpop) on a huge stage and the Japanese commented a lot about the difference in professionalism. Don't remember what Kpop groups they were but they were low-mid tier or nugu, but they were way outperforming the Jpop groups.

• Mini queens already performed

External Content x.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

External Content x.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

External Content x.com

• External Content twitter.com

• Twice fans are just perpetually bitter about New Jeans success

Imagine getting multiple bigger hit songs than Twice and MISAMO in Japan this year without a Japanese member and singing in Korean as a one year old group :pepe-cross:

No shit sherlock, when your company paid millions for playlisting you will get the streams needed to chart, and yet none of that made them have a organic and genuine charting hit like twice umpromoted hits on japan charts like feel special, hybe simply can't pay enough money to replicate twice success on japan.

• This thread contains 39 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!