Why even bother with idol survival shows when they have such a low rate of success?

• For some reason people have this belief that Produce and its knock offs produce instant successes but when you actually look at it, it is such a flop fest.

Successful groups: IOI, Wanna One, Iz*One, ZB1

Semi success: Kep1er

Flop: Fromis_9, Classy, El7z Up, UNB, Uni.T, 1the9, whoever won Peak Time, and finally my favorite, Mix9, group that YG didn't even bother debuting.

Although Produce and the direct successor Planet999 itself have higher rate than the rest, still it is not perfect, as even Iz*One whom I put into successful groups didn't have a hit song. And I am not even sure Wanna One has one either. With Kep1er even album sales went down.

If you like survivals then just watch when big companies do one for their groups, like Hybe with R U Next, or JYP with Nizi, that way you know for sure that the debuting group won't just rely on the show's success but will have continuous support of the company they're debuting under.

• Wut? Izone literally has two songs in the top 6 of Gaon, back when there was real competition in charts, going up against songs like Dynamite, HYLT, Eight, etc.

You forgot X1, they were a real challenge to the 4th gen BGs that were struggling at the time. I remain unconvinced that the whole Produce takedown wasnt a conspiracy among certain established powerbrokers in the industry that had debuted or were planning to debut their first 4th gen BGs and couldnt have X1 stealing their thunder. Even now, ZB1 is fighting tooth and nail against Riize, Boy Next Door, and whatever BG JYP debuts next year.

And i didnt want to rant about Izone's takedown again but i had to at least put one sentence here...there is a reason why 4th gen GGs only started to truly shine when Izone became Izgone :nj-23:

That is the power of Produce.

• Mixnine was a mess

I mean the line up would be amazing for girl group in terms of skills and with good song they could for sure storm charts but in same time if you look at photos now it kind of gives vibes that there were huge disproportions in members looks. So they could easily become one of those groups labeled as 'X, Y and friends' which really sucks

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• also a reminder that ZEROBASEONE got more than 2M sales in first week

and they are from Boys Planet after all

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I mean with all due respect minion

kpop groups as a whole has an even worse success rate than the survival groups you mentioned

for every twice/bp etc there are hundreds of groups that languish in nugudom plus all the groups that we as kpop fans know but just aren't successful...

at least with survival groups they are somewhat more known than your average nugu group

• Produce's groups are popular because they got the top trainees from different agencies due to it being a temporary group. I think the other shows got lower end contestants/trainees.

• When survival shows were new and looked fresh and innovative, then of course it was a good move to hold those survival shows, since they were watched a lot and the artists and candidates that won enjoyed a great boost of popularity and success right from the start.

But groups from survival shows stand and fall with the popularity of the survival show they came from, so if the show doesn't do well, the group can't profit from the initial popularity boost and built-in fanbase size.

'No more shall man have wings to bear him to paradise. Henceforth, he shall walk.'

SWJ1P.gif

• That's why now I only become fan of the trainees when it's the produce/planet series

About in house survival shows, usually I don't find the trainees as talented or interesting as trainees from produce/planet. Look at zb1, the vocal line is better than most 4th gen bgs and their dance line is amazing too, and it's good to see talented people from less known companies achieve success.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!