We all agree Red Flavor was the biggest girl group song of 2017, right?

• Do you agree that Red Flavor is the biggest girl group song released in 2017? 32

1. Yes (18) 56%
    2. No (14) 44%

REWIND

I oftentimes don't see people giving this song its roses, but during 2017, most of us girl group fans agreed Red Velvet came back with tremendous power and had the biggest hit song that year--even bigger than Knock Knock and As If It's Your Last.

I'm too lazy to look up all the stats, but this speaks volumes

External Content x.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Only national hit girl group songs reach this level of Melon likes. I just checked and only Hype Boy (282k likes) and Love Dive (245k likes) have made it into this group since this tweet.

It DEFINITELY should've won SOTY

• This was actually in April 2018, they performed both RF and Bad Boy. Iconic stuff. :holding-back-tears:

I was off by a year :facepalm:

My memory betrayed me. Yes, that was an iconic event. Kind of hard to imagine any current gen girl groups pulling that off.

3rd Gen Queens were built different 👑

• Using my Melon monthly data set and same the methodology utilized in this thread, I've determined the g‍irl group songs that performed the best in 2017:

1. B‍OL4 – Tell Me You Love Me

2. B‍OL4 – Hard to Love

3. B‍OL4 – Galaxy

4. B‍lackpink – P‍laying with Fire

5. B‍OL4, 2‍0 Years of Age – We Loved*

6. B‍lackpink – A‍s If It's Your Last*

7. Twice – Knock Knock*

8. B‍OL4 – You and I From the Beginning*

9. Twice – TT

10. R‍ed Velvet – Red Flavor*

The songs marked with asterisks were actually released in 2017.

• How is government gig any indication of popularity?

people keep bringing that up as if it's proof of anything. red velvet was the most popular gg with only korean members so makes sense if they were invited but it doesn't make them automatically bigger lol

• How is government gig any indication of popularity?

You think a nugu group would be asked to go perform for NORTH KOREA? :pepe-joy:

That wasn't just a "government gig", so don't be acting all disingenuous in my thread.

But it was released in 2017, like your poll asked

;judgingpepe:;judgingpepe:;judgingpepe:;judgingpepe:;judgingpepe:;judgingpepe:;judgingpepe:

Your motion has been REJECTED :pepe-notes:;judgingpepe:

idk maybe in korea. but overall TT is bigger

Like others said, TT was 2016. And even then, we're talking 2017, not 2023. Being the biggest in Korea was all that mattered to K-Pop fans back then. This was pre BTS's DNA performance on the AMAs or wherever that was.

• At the time Knock Knock felt like the bigger song; it was inescapable and there was just such a cultural like stir around Twice. I still don't get why Signal won the MAMA daesang over it (assuming it had to go to a Twice song for whatever reason).

Red Flavor went on to have the best longevity of any gg song from 2017 (if you just limit it to domestic charts, if not, As If It's Your Last went on to do better and Likey too). It didn't really have much of a shot at SotY tho, both Spring Day and Really Really were bigger songs by other groups (not to mention IU).

• As always, it depends on what metric or take you use to determine it, as there isn't just one way of judging these things.

But if we're talking about biggest girl group song in terms of popularity in SK, then yes, Red Flavor was the biggest girl group song in 2017.

Other songs like IU's 'Through The Night' and YJS' 'Like It' were bigger according to Gallup (resp. #1 and #2 2017 top song), but of the idol group songs, not just gg songs bu bg songs included, Red Flavor was biggest (#5 in 2017 Gallup ranking).

For those who're curious how the Gallup listing for 2017 looked like:

1. Yoon Jong Shin — “Like It” (8.8 percent)

2. IU — “Through the Night” (4.3 percent)

3. IU – “Autumn Morning” (4.2 percent)

4. Jang Yoon Jung – “Call the Soul” (3.3 percent)

5. Red Velvet – “Red Flavor” (2.9 percent)

6. BTS’s “DNA,” Jin Sung’s “In Andong Station” (2.7 percent)

8. TWICE’s “TT,” Wanna One’s “Pick Me” (2.5 percent)

10. PSY’s “New Face” (2 percent)

'No more shall man have wings to bear him to paradise. Henceforth, he shall walk.'

SWJ1P.gif

• External Content x.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Only national hit girl group songs reach this level of Melon likes. I just checked and only Hype Boy (282k likes) and Love Dive (245k likes) have made it into this group since this tweet.

It DEFINITELY should've won SOTY

Not sure if Red Flavor could've won SOTY with competition as IU around. But Red Flavor certainly created a buzz in SK among the general public, and it delivered them the title 'Summer Queens' in SK.

'No more shall man have wings to bear him to paradise. Henceforth, he shall walk.'

SWJ1P.gif

• Here's the weekly chart run for the songs released in 2017, while knock knock had the strongest start it had the worst longevity by far.

It's harder to determine which song is bigger between AIIYL and RF, both currently have 6.3 million ULs on melon (for comparison KK has 5 million) while AIIYL has around 100k more ULs on genie.

RV did peak at #1 compared to AIIYL's #3 peak, it also spent 3 more weeks in the top10, but AIIYL was released a few weeks earlier so it performed better on year end charts

AIIYL also did better by far internationally

pasted-from-clipboard.png

ead47f74c3dc14bd46149812f2155b77.jpgImage ⁘ 007833105f6b7733cb4d3f8c61fa19ae.jpg3291b57d2612af71f190a448dba0c51c.jpg

• Like others said, TT was 2016. And even then, we're talking 2017, not 2023. Being the biggest in Korea was all that mattered to K-Pop fans back then. This was pre BTS's DNA performance on the AMAs or wherever that was.

TT was bigger in Japan and I think that’s def relevant as well but agree to disagree.

It’s 2016 anyways so nvm

• Where did you get that data? And I wonder what Yes I Am's charting looked like. I know its graph has to be an extremely high peak and then dramatic drop off compared to these other songs. YIA is the reason AIIYL didn't peak at #1, but its longevity was mid.

I think this has been my favorite piece of data presented so far.

It's funny thinking back to how much fans fought over these 3 songs and time has made it a 2 song race clearly.

I'm going with Red Flavor personally. AIIYL was initially overshadowed by another girl group song.

Not sure if Red Flavor could've won SOTY with competition as IU around. But Red Flavor certainly created a buzz in SK among the general public, and it delivered them the title 'Summer Queens' in SK.

They definitely earned the "Summer Queens" title that year. No doubt about it.

• How does this work ? Because Knock Knock wasn't released at the same time as AIIYL, is this post-2017 ?

• Where did you get that data? And I wonder what Yes I Am's charting looked like. I know its graph has to be an extremely high peak and then dramatic drop off compared to these other songs. YIA is the reason AIIYL didn't peak at #1, but its longevity was mid.

Ok so I added Yes I am :pepe-peek:

The site is called Kalphabet it has a lot of interesting gaon chart data

• Wasn't YIA #1 and AIIYL #2?

YIA came out hot with overy 920k 24 hr unique listeners, which was an all time Melon record at the time.

I don't remember what song eventually took #1, but YIA definitely spent some time at the top. I have the old screenshots saved somewhere from when I was gloating back then.

• Wasn't YIA #1 and AIIYL #2?

YIA came out hot with overy 920k 24 hr unique listeners, which was an all time Melon record at the time.

I don't remember what song eventually took #1, but YIA definitely spent some time at the top. I have the old screenshots saved somewhere from when I was gloating back then.

I just checked neither reached #1, blocked by BOL4 then 2 Heize singles and then Red Flavor went to #1

Week 25

Week 26

ead47f74c3dc14bd46149812f2155b77.jpgImage ⁘ 007833105f6b7733cb4d3f8c61fa19ae.jpg3291b57d2612af71f190a448dba0c51c.jpg

• I'm probably remembering the real time charts then?

Just did a quick search

External Content twitter.com

What a fun time :holding-back-tears:

I lost the war, but winning this initial battle was so gratifying

• didn't think bp was gonna be that high

• As another metric to consider, here's the b‍reakdown of g‍irl group music show wins for 2017:

Signal – Twice: 12 wins

Rookie – R‍ed Velvet: 9 wins

Knock Knock – Twice: 9 wins

Yes I Am – M‍amamoo: 7 wins

Likey – Twice: 7 wins

Heart Shaker – Twice: 7 wins

Five – A‍pink: 6 wins

Red Flavor – R‍ed Velvet: 5 wins

Love Whisper – G‍Friend: 4 wins

Excuse Me – A‍OA: 3 wins

Night Rather Than Day – E‍XID: 3 wins

A‍s If It's Your Last – B‍lackpink: 3 wins

Fingertip – G‍Friend: 2 wins

I'll Be Yours – G‍irl's Day: 2 wins

Summer Rain – G‍Friend: 2 wins

Some – Bolbbalgan4: 2 wins

TT – Twice: 1 win

Downpour – I‍.O.I: 1 win

Hwi Hwi – L‍aboum: 1 win

Now, We – L‍ovelyz: 1 win

What's M‍y Name? – T‍-a‍ra: 1 win

DDD – E‍XID: 1 win

Twinkle – L‍ovelyz: 1 win

Peek-a-B‍oo – R‍ed Velvet: 1 win

• And where did I say RV were nugu? :pepepizza:

Getting chosen by your government to represent your country is worth of flexing.

Did the government choose a bunch of nugus after they threw together an impromptu concert to hide the shame of how they handled the jamboree this year? Nah.

• This thread contains 11 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!