Red Velvet comebacks are always going to be disappointing

• Because they never repeat the same type of song :uwu-party-bee:

It's normal for casual listeners to have their own expectations based on their preferred Red Velvet songs. Everyone does. I've been stanning Red Velvet since right before Power Up era, and every single comeback is always accompanied by a group of people who "had hoped for something different like *insert name of a previous Red Velvet title track*". Truth is, if that's your premise going into every new Red Velvet comeback, I'm sorry to tell you but you will never be satisfied with a new release. I know this because I experienced it as well, when I was new to stanning Red Velvet: I had loved Power Up when it was released and was hoping for something explosive and electro-pop-like for their fall comeback that year, but I got RBB, which is far from what I expected. The whiplash was quite intense, and even though I did like RBB (and still do, it's such a classic), I felt unsure about my decision to stan a group that couldn't give me a safe ground when it comes to title track consistency, and instead gives me constant wondering if the next cb would be what I want it to be.

With time, I learned that every single RV comeback is never what I expect, but it's always to my liking. Of course, that is my opinion and not everyone who loved Feel My Rhythm liked Birthday, or not all Psycho stans were there for Queendom.

Which is why it's interesting to see kpop stans say the same things over and over again everytime RV comes back. Are you new to kpop and to Red Velvet? Is it your first comeback as a Reveluv? Did you decide to stan Red Velvet because Red Flavor was a bop and you wanted every title track since 2017 to be the same song over and over again? Then I don't think you are stanning the right group.

With Red Velvet it will be difficult for you to like every single comeback. But one thing is guaranteed: it will never be the same. Because Red Velvet is a group that is super consistent... in being inconsistent. And that's their biggest charm.

ReveluvTaglist reveluvs, what comebacks were you NOT here for? For me it was Wildside.

• If the artist does the same concept over and over again: people complain and call them predictable

If the artist changes concept every comeback: people complain they don't do the new *insert here a song they released in 1947*

It just shows there's different artists for every one. So isn't it better to stick to the ones you like instead of demanding acts to change for YOUR personal taste?

Bankai: Minazuki

85e1d14897360f5af5426181e6b1e605126ab548.gifv

• If the artist does the same concept over and over again: people complain and call them predictable

If the artist changes concept every comeback: people complain they don't do the new *insert here a song they released in 1947*

It just shows there's different artists for every one. So isn't it better to stick to the ones you like instead of demanding acts to change for YOUR personal taste?

fr, i don't know why people insist. if you don't like the direction a group is taking, why do you even waste your energy on it? just stick to your own faves.

• I don't know, I see 'comeback' and 'comeback song' as two separate things. A comeback can be great while the comeback song/title track is disappointing, and vice versa.

For example, 'Psycho' was truly epic as comeback song, but their comeback was utterly disappointing due to the fact that their comeback was cut short right from the start.

Same the other way around, if the pre-comeback promotion really built up anticipation, the comeback weeks are filled with interesting events and activities with extra performances, variety show attendances and other extra's that appeal to fans, then the comeback song can be mediocre but the comeback was still hugely enjoyable.

As for Red Velvet, the popular slogan 'the only constant is change' suits them very well. If you're tuned into that side of theirs as a fan, then you're kinda prepared, I guess.

Wildside btw was their Japanese release, they never promote their Japanese releases, don't even do the bare minimum for those :-)

'No more shall man have wings to bear him to paradise. Henceforth, he shall walk.'

SWJ1P.gif

• I agree with you when you said their comebacks are always going to be disappointing but I disagree with the reason you gave.

To me for example, Chill Kill is a Power Up/FML but messier more disjointed. There’s nothing new, it’s just not well made. I believe people are disappointed because we all know that when they deliver, they deliver. The problem is, the visuals are still there (The Handmaiden inspired pictures were stunning) but the music hasn't been good for a long time now. They used to alternate hit and miss but lately it has been only miss. We are expecting too much from them.

• I agree with you when you said their comebacks are always going to be disappointing but I disagree with the reason you gave.

To me for example, Chill Kill is a Power Up/FML but messier more disjointed. There’s nothing new, it’s just not well made. I believe people are disappointed because we all know that when they deliver, they deliver. The problem is, the visuals are still there (The Handmaiden inspired pictures were stunning) but the music hasn't been good for a long time now. They used to alternate hit and miss but lately it has been only miss. We are expecting too much from them.

i've seen other people say the same thing and imo it's a constructive criticism. i think the reve festival "series" did have amazing songs (imo), but did not work as a cohesive trilogy, a lot more could have been done with the festival theme. FML and Birthday have specific things about them that bother me too, mainly mixing-wise.

i think what people should remember is that not always do kpop companies establish one on one communication between their a&r (music) and art direction (visuals). it's badly done on their side, but it's why sometimes visuals are much more outstanding than the music, and vice versa.

it's fine if you think their current sound has declined and give reasoning for it, but to go into every new release wanting a specific song and then crying because you didn't get a psycho is what pisses me off.

• They had a good period from Red Flavour to Psycho. Before and after that have been pretty boring, with the exception of the their debut with Happines that I liked. I have always felt a bit disappointment becauce they never really hade the kind of song like Happiness again. Well, maybe Red Flavour is kind of they same typ, but everything between Happiness and Red Flavour was really boring.

• I was here for every single release, RED VELVET is the most interesting group cuz like u said THEY'LL NEVER REPEAT THE SAME SONG, honestly this helped seulgi know what she wants to go for her solo sound, i mean i'd rather be in RV than any other group, just cuz everything they release is different, unique AND SO GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD. I think i had to get used to zimzalabim, RBB and birthday for sure, the rest are bangers. REACTOTHEK channel helped a lot cuz u get to appreciate their unique sound.

• To me for example, Chill Kill is a Power Up/FML but messier more disjointed. There’s nothing new, it’s just not well made. I believe people are disappointed because we all know that when they deliver, they deliver. The problem is, the visuals are still there (The Handmaiden inspired pictures were stunning) but the music hasn't been good for a long time now. They used to alternate hit and miss but lately it has been only miss. We are expecting too much from them.

i've seen other people say the same thing and imo it's a constructive criticism. i think the reve festival "series" did have amazing songs (imo), but did not work as a cohesive trilogy, a lot more could have been done with the festival theme. FML and Birthday have specific things about them that bother me too, mainly mixing-wise.

:whatk: ... FML?

Feel My Lythm? Feel My Life? Fork My Life? :whatb:

As for liking a comeback song or not, I guess that'll always be subjective and a matter of people's personal preference.

As for saying that their good songs lay many years in the past, I completely disagree: I mean, that may be true for the person(s) saying that, but that doesn't mean everyone or even the majority of people find this true.

Queendom did well on charts and Feel My Rhythm did even very well on charts, if we're talking post-Psycho songs. And then we haven't even discussed b-sides.

Maybe it's simply an issue of (personal) expectations and expectation management?

If people are hearing 'Velvet' and expecting every velvet comeback song to be 'Psycho' or every red song to be 'Red Flavor' then you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

But that applies to every group, if you hope/expect their next comeback to be on the level of their best song, whether it's TWICE, BTS, BP, Aespa, IVE, Idle, NJ etc.

'No more shall man have wings to bear him to paradise. Henceforth, he shall walk.'

SWJ1P.gif

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!