Hitman Bang separating K and KPop is a big decision

• JYP began to separate KPop from Korea and now Bang is following suit.

I think when oldsters, whose heydays were in the 1980s, came to run the Korean Ministry of Culture, they realized the time of KPop in Korea is now over.

With Korea's aging pop, it will be harder to further its interest anymore.

Now, I have to say that more than 90% of KPop revenues come from outside of Korea.

Bang has a reason to be angry , since the circus around BTS' military service , and Bang's attempt to placate the government, came to nowhere so it is understandable that he wants to base his company outside of Korea, which might be the huge HQ of Hybe in Seoul is in a rented structure.

The Fifty Fifty case showed that Korean mind supports some old guy , with zero success in his resume, bullshitting 24/7 , instead of people who actually did something. That comes from the old landowner mind where the landed literati owned everything and was supreme.

Since Bang now has the power to ignore Korean opinion, he is making a good business decision. He already bought a very expensive mention in Los Angeles, and eventually I think Hybe will put its HQs in Los Angeles, and the singers not returning to Korea until they are past their peak. What will the Korean government do? Send agents to other countries to d rag the artists to the military?

Koreans are simply reaping what they have sown. They supported Trot and ballad instead of appreciating KPop's world success, so they will lose KPop and will be stuck back to trot and the sleepy ballads.

IVE will have a world tour. They will do 35 days of perf. They will only do one day in some locations, meaning they are just introducing themselves. They have a grand total of 2 days in Korea, 2/35 = 5.7%.

In fact the only reason major idols do aconcert in Seoul nowdays is because they can't enter China and Seoul is more accessible to the Chinese fans. There are some Korean fans but not large enough to use the venues they used.

I personally don't think separating Korea from KPop is a bad idea. It is a long overdue idea which I think is done a bit too late.

When someone who has NEVER toured outside of Korea gets to perform in the highest venue of the country along with the Most Successful Act to Come Out from there (yes I do mention her here), something is very wrong, and JYP and Bang seem to realize that.

I will conclude this post with g.o.d.'s song Sky Blue Balloon, written by Mr. Bang.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• In fact the only reason major idols do aconcert in Seoul nowdays is because they can't enter China and Seoul is more accessible to the Chinese fans. There are some Korean fans but not large enough to use the venues they used.

don't they just do it in HK which is technically still China but not under direct CCP rule...

• There is some hard data and anecdotal evidence that has been pointing to women driving the growth of gg's in the last couple of years I would say. The old idea that women support bg's and men support gg's is definitely becoming outdated, women support gg's now in significant numbers, no surprise gg's are pulling million sellers in one week now.

• In fact the only reason major idols do aconcert in Seoul nowdays is because they can't enter China and Seoul is more accessible to the Chinese fans. There are some Korean fans but not large enough to use the venues they used

They are doing concerts in SK because they are Korean and they rely on Korean fans a lot. They never skipped Seoul even when kpop wasn't banned in China. This is such a weird take.

People are talking like Korea is some poor country with not perspective and not like top idols earn millions from Korea alone. IU who heavily relied on SK is one of the richest kpop idols ever.

~ Retired exol, don't ask me about that group. ~

• He’s getting cooked on Twitter lol.

But I mean the biggest groups BTS and BP have seen big hits in spite of less Korean focus so like idk if he’s really wrong there lol.

Well I mean his whole point is taking away K from kpop and just doing pop for bigger success.

Basic pop hasn't worked for most kpop idols, but basic sure as hell worked well for Hybe. Their best results came from these basic repetitive pop songs.

• Well I mean his whole point is taking away K from kpop and just doing pop for bigger success.

Basic pop hasn't worked for most kpop idols, but basic sure as hell worked well for Hybe. Their best results came from these basic repetitive pop songs.

I think it’s been working alright actually. Mostly English songs with a bit of Korean is how BP and New Jeans release music and it’s been a huge hit for them. It’ll be similar to a lot Latin inspired songs. Mostly English songs with some influence.

• They are doing concerts in SK because they are Korean and they rely on Korean fans a lot. They never skipped Seoul even when kpop wasn't banned in China. This is such a weird take.

People are talking like Korea is some poor country with not perspective and not like top idols earn millions from Korea alone. IU who heavily relied on SK is one of the richest kpop idols ever.

And IU is probably the last major idol who relied on Korea only. GFriend tried but was terminated by Hybe.

A Seoul concert by a major idol nowdays has become like an obligatory ritual, to check kinks of the set list and other mishaps during the upcoming world tour. Often the venues outside of Korea are bigger.

• Don't know about Jisoo, Yujin and arguably Wonyoung (there are long standing rumors that she is of Chinese descent), but the others would have found niches from their own countries.

• Personally, I don't agree with him. I think it's a stupid decision, yeah, it'll make more money, but it's just so weird.

With this and the influence of TikTok on K-pop, I don't even know if we're gonna get any good music anymore.

It will make more money, and I don't think they will exclusively use Koreans on their upcoming acts.

If foreign fans want good songs they can listen to singers from their own countries.

KPop cannot be separated from performances, and having good songs is a secondary objective. NewJeans' progress outside of Korea is slower because of its emphasis on songs, although Min Heein now seems to read the trends and will probably spend less effort on getting good songs.

• Since Bang now has the power to ignore Korean opinion, he is making a good business decision. He already bought a very expensive mention in Los Angeles, and eventually I think Hybe will put its HQs in Los Angeles, and the singers not returning to Korea until they are past their peak. What will the Korean government do? Send agents to other countries to d rag the artists to the military?

Very good insight.

I don't think there's anything Korea will be able to do. Are they going to start charging an export tariff every time a young Korean idol is shipped overseas to the U.S? The U.S. could threaten to take back their nuclear submarines and Korea would be wiped off the map by KJU.

Edited once, last by Polarize ().

• I think it’s been working alright actually. Mostly English songs with a bit of Korean is how BP and New Jeans release music and it’s been a huge hit for them. It’ll be similar to a lot Latin inspired songs. Mostly English songs with some influence.

And there are like 5 or 6 examples of this success while we have 40 failed

• Very good insight.

I don't think there's anything Korea will be able to do. Are they going to start charging an export tariff every time a young Korean idol is shipped overseas to the U.S? The U.S. could threaten to take back their nuclear submarines and Korea would be wiped off the map by KJU.

Eventually the majors will incorporate outside of Korea, outside of Korean jurisdiction, and will sign the idols in any way the companies will prefer. It will create a big issue, but won't end happily for the Korean companies.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!