Did Newjeans ruin Kpop’s uniqueness with their minimalistic/bland music and concept?

• I saw this opinion. Do you agree with it? Is Newjeans making Kpop lose its original direction? Nmixx/Kep1er/Ateez/Itzy makes fun, Kpop-sounding song yet don’t get the love that Newjeans get. IMG_1415.jpg

IMG_1416.jpg

What K-pop used to be:

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• As I said in other threads, NJ songs are really boring stuff and it's hard to for me to believe they will keep the current popalarity for long if they don't spice up their music a lot. But if their music is somekind of trend, it's not a good trend.

• BunniesTaglist read this pls and tell me your opinion

No. Here is why...

(All of this is my opinion, and you don't have to agree)

Yes, K-Pop is loved by loads of different people.
    Some like music that is more chill, others like upbeat songs, melancholic songs...

But K-Pop doesn't work like that, it wants to appeal to everyone.
    It wants to be unique and mainstream at the same time.
    Now you think "how can something be these two things at the same time? Isn't this impossible?"

You are kinda right.

Look at groups like Itzy, NMIXX, Loona, Kep1er, even the old 2nd gen ones, like orange caramel, they all are unique, right? They have unique concepts, their music is fun, they have a fanbase.

But if you'd play O.O, Catallena, Icy, Why Not? and Wadada to the whole world... A lot of people would call it trash.

The sad thing is, K-pop is known as a subgenre that K0reab00s, Outcasts and weird people follow. People with no lives that sit on their mobile phones the whole day. It's either weird teenagers that have that "phase" and crush on these seemingly hot korean boys, or adults with no lives that are delusional and failed school.

You know that embarrassment when you tell your relatives, your friends, your classmates "I like K-Pop"?

These people on twitter who talk about liking quirky group concepts with upbeat melody, weird hairstyles, funny colourful MVs, most of them are adults. But typically, all "normal" or "mainstream" teenagers think these concepts are embarrassing.

But K-pop wants to be the world's It-Girl that everyone talks about, that trends on social media, whose songs are loved everywhere, whose merch is even bought by normal people bcs its trendy and aesthetic, right?

Well, guess who archived that... Yes, NewJeans. They are still running this K-Pop transformation, but more and more people are loving them bcs they are so appealing and aesthetic. Everything about them seems to be trendy, their songs, their outfits, their faces, their albums...

K-Pop would've died in a few years if this didn't happen, because it doesn't stay alive with only old fans, it needs these crazy obsessive teens that play their songs on loop, watch their reels and tiktoks, take dance videos of themselves, tell their other friends abt them, buy albums... Hell, I even showed my mom some NewJeans MVs and she actually found them cute. Everyone finds them cute.

Everyone is dancing to Hype boy, even one year after it got released.
    Everyone is buying their Beach Bag album, just to decorate it.
    Everyone likes NewJeans.
    They are unique and mainstream at the same time.

⋆.ೃ࿔*:・。 ゚ ꒰ঌ 🪼✦🌊໒꒱ ༘*.゚⋆。 I just wanna continue my pace ⋆.ೃ࿔*:・。 ゚ ꒰ঌ 🪼✦🌊໒꒱ ༘*.゚⋆。

• As I said in other threads, NJ songs are really boring stuff and it's hard to for me to believe they will keep the current popalarity for long if they don't spice up their music a lot. But if their music is somekind of trend, it's not a good trend.

Dang, it's not only about their music, watch their MVs, look at their albums, go to their website and play these games they have, watch their variety content...

You're probably one of these second gen stans that always complain abt K-Pop having "changed" too much, and if thats true, NewJeans isn't even meant to appeal to you.

⋆.ೃ࿔*:・。 ゚ ꒰ঌ 🪼✦🌊໒꒱ ༘*.゚⋆。 I just wanna continue my pace ⋆.ೃ࿔*:・。 ゚ ꒰ঌ 🪼✦🌊໒꒱ ༘*.゚⋆。

• KPOP just so fucking boring now lets be real, NJ songs are a snore fest. I cant wait for their next comback to be exactly the same as their first 2.

At least we have Ive.

K-Pop is probably boring for you bcs you have to wait 2 years for your faves to release a song. And stop bringing IVE into this.

• This is a silly take.

NewJeans stood out immediately because their songs were so different in composition from what other groups put out. No raps. No high notes. Just smooth, easy to digest and listen to yet extremely catchy songs.

Now because they're the biggest act in K-Pop right now, they're suddenly ruining the industry, even though there are plenty of groups that don't follow the NJ formula at all.

Name one title track from a popular girl group that sounds like it belongs on a NewJeans album.

• there are actually none that fit NewJeans vibe, maybe generation from TripleS but there isn't any other song I can recall

• People just can't accept NewJeans world domination

• Dang, it's not only about their music, watch their MVs, look at their albums, go to their website and play these games they have, watch their variety content...

You're probably one of these second gen stans that always complain abt K-Pop having "changed" too much, and if thats true, NewJeans isn't even meant to appeal to you.

Play games? Who the fuck is into kpop to play "games"???

Yes, I know kpop is not only about music and it's a lot about visuals and MVs. I consume kpop mainly by MV just because of that. But at the end of the day it's good songs that are the most important thing.

I can miss some if the style of the 2nd generation yes, but I also like a lot of newer songs and groups. Every year have a couple of good songs from different groups.

• Play games? Who the fuck is into kpop to play "games"???

Yes, I know kpop is not only about music and it's a lot about visuals and MVs. I consume kpop mainly by MV just because of that. But at the end of the day it's good songs that are the most important thing.

I can miss some if the style of the 2nd generation yes, but I also like a lot of newer songs and groups. Every year have a couple of good songs from different groups.

The games part was just to accentuate that they have everything, even little games, yk?

• Bbb6969 is right about one thing though

T-ara is superior

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• newjeans music is nowhere near boring. it’s great. and a lot of these “kpop sounding songs” are absolutely terrible

facts, nothing more to say than that

• i don't personally think nj makes bland or boring music??? i love insane electronic kpop too, but there's space in the industry for different concepts and sounds

blame the kpop companies for copy catting each other after a group hits big until all the groups look and sound the same. until the next big group comes along, and they copy that group next

ɪ

cf2178e469192fe5d3974a86c101545f41e74afb.gifv

• i don't personally think nj makes bland or boring music??? i love insane electronic kpop too, but there's space in the industry for different concepts and sounds

blame the kpop companies for copy catting each other after a group hits big until all the groups look and sound the same. until the next big group comes along, and they copy that group next

Actually, there aren't even much groups copying NWJNS

• In which world anyone would say new jeans=minimalist????

If anything I think nj case taught companies they need to put more effort into their groups.

NewJeans has a whole vibe to them, they have their completely own aesthetic. I really can't believe how people can call them minimalistic.

• K-Pop can be many things. Some will stay in the maximalist tradition and those who enjoy that will seek it out. I think the more mainstream acts will adapt their sounds to the global market, hopefully with each offering their own unique flavor (as all acts from anywhere should aim for). NewJeans is a leading force in pop music's new direction, period.

• Bbb6969 is right about one thing though

T-ara is superior

External Content youtu.be

We miss them

• Actually, there aren't even much groups copying NWJNS

lol this is blatantly not true.. nj’s influence in multiple facets of the kpop machinations is undeniable, from music production to packaging and promoting, from top groups to nugus there are footprints of the nj blueprint everywhere, but I don’t feel like dealing with people today so i’m not gonna name names

You know what they say, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery and all that

• I am not even their fan but when I think of new jeans it is rather than minimalism it is maximilsm. They do everything extra.

They even have a cute little game on their website and you get little icons of the members if you score high...

Just an example but yea they are so maximalist they have everything.

Edited once, last by Catgirl ().

• lol this is blatantly not true.. nj’s influence in multiple facets of the kpop machinations is undeniable, from music production to packaging and promoting, from top groups to nugus there are footprints of the nj blueprint everywhere, but I don’t feel like dealing with people today so i’m not gonna name names

You know what they say, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery and all that

The group is harly one year old, I dubt they have any great effect on other kpops yet.

• The group is harly one year old, I dubt they have any great effect on other kpops yet.

Yes, they are hardly one year old, and already dominating everything they can.

Stop denying NWJNS world domination

• The group is harly one year old, I dubt they have any great effect on other kpops yet.

i have working eyes and ears and brain, i can literally see for myself what’s happening right in front of me lol and your statement cannot be more dead wrong 😂 but whatever makes you feel content 👍

• Yes, they are hardly one year old, and already dominating everything they can.

Stop denying NWJNS world domination

did you not say "Actually, there aren't even much groups copying NWJNS"?

So you pretty much agreeing thet they have not effected the other groups much yet?

• did you not say "Actually, there aren't even much groups copying NWJNS"?

So you pretty much agreeing thet they have not effected the other groups much yet?

I meant that they aren't copying their concept or aesthetic, or their sound.

But you know what I mean when I'm telling you that IVE is coming back with triple title tracks, and now pls don't tell me that they are the first ones this year that are going with this strategy

• Whats with all these thread dragging newjeans. It seems like these users are just salty that newjeans succeeded at this point.

They just can't accept their world domination

• I meant that they aren't copying their concept or aesthetic, or their sound.

But you know what I mean when I'm telling you that IVE is coming back with triple title tracks, and now pls don't tell me that they are the first ones this year that are going with this strategy

Don't really know what you mean by triple title tracks? is not like is something new that you have multiple singles for a mini album/EP

• Don't really know what you mean by triple title tracks? is not like is something new that you have multiple singles for a mini album/EP

3 title tracks that are promoted at the same time with 3 different MVs

• If you look at it retrospectively,k-pop trends have always been bouncing back and forth between maximalist and minimalist approaches.

The more toned down look and sound is being preferred rn,but I'm sure it's only a matter of time before we enter another period of super energetic songs and bright colorful aesthetics being the trend.

Eitherway,I think 4th gen groups have generally been pretty good at providing us with a good variety of options,regardless of what's ''trending''.

• Tell me you like kpop because of bts or bp without telling me

There are so many other minimalist groups out there that if you actually paid attention to groups that dont threaten the success of your fav you’d notice that NJ is acrually pretty typical to the mainstream kpop scene as opposed to “r&b” or “minimalist” music.

You guys just try to find a reason to discredit newjeans with every thought you can

'*•.¸♡ NewJeans ♡¸.•*'

all this time. . . .。・:*˚:✧。

• brain dead kpoppies who don't want groups to be different are so boring, lame, bloodless etc etc

don't blame NewJeans for carving out a very successful sound for themselves, blame the other gutless companies who do a half-baked copy and expect people to just latch on lmao

like i keep saying, it's gonna take more than a mellow electric piano to recreate NewJeans.

kepler and such can keep the sound that they want, or they can switch it up. just don't blame newjeans (or the kpop listening audince? lol) if it doesn't catch on

• 3 title tracks that are promoted at the same time with 3 different MVs

newjeans just copied 2020 Superm

External Content www.youtube.com

• Also if you’re defining kpop what is it?

Like how is AESPA constantly blabbering about a nonsensical online fairytale world more kpop? Or jennie and Lisa taking up 75% of the song with rap? Or nmixx just throwing random sounds together?

How is cupid considered kpop if the English version is just a pop song? And if minimalist songs that have a low budget video or feature people with natural haircolors arent kpop then are we saying gfriend wasnt kpop? I just want a clear definition…

Id say just any song thats produced by a korean company

'*•.¸♡ NewJeans ♡¸.•*'

all this time. . . .。・:*˚:✧。

• This thread contains 34 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!