Gidle bigger than peak redvelvet internationally?

• External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Indeed. (G)I-DLE has been winning over locals on their world tour this month with their sincerity of effort.

Taiwan media highlighting their cover of a Mandarin song:

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

All members singing Thai:

They were crazy enough to cover a Cantonese song in Hong Kong (none of them speak Cantonese, which is notoriously difficult):

External Content www.youtube.com

I think IU might be the first to attempt singing Cantonese and it seems having a good ear allowed her to really pull it off well:

I wonder why IU stopped touring Japan though given the investment in learning the language and promotions there early in her career. Maybe WhyKnock has the tea.

Anyways, if China is loosening up, which we're starting to see some hints of, the girls are well positioned to take advantage.

• why we even talkin bout Spotify?

when with last releases Idle achieved better results on Melon

still it's SM's fault for not continuing the amazing Psycho vibe

• G-Idle is one of the few groups who actually performed in SMALLER venues in the US than RV, so let's not go there.

Not true, in Chicago they played in a smaller venue, but in the city, while G-idle is in a bigger venue but out in the suburbs.

in Dallas they played the same venue in the suburbs

in NY, Gidle is playing a bigger venue in the city, RV played a smaller venue in NJ

in LA, RV played in a smaller venue in a suburb, while G-idle will be downtown.

Those are the only cities I could find that were the same.

Plus many small Kpop acts play in smaller venues in the USA.

• Lee Jieun attempted to do something in Japan after revealing her most famous, important and enduring photograph, but in Japan people who sing like her are very common.

Lee Jieun was a friend of Hyukoh, who was born in China, and realized her style of singers was unique in there. After being smashed for Zeze, she did a bunch of events in China until China prohibited Korean singers from performing there. Her dramas continued to do well in China and she has retained her hold in there, which might have been what kept her relevant for all these years.

• You're speaking in future tense. I'm talking about tours they already completed.

• Yeah, G-idle is more well known among non kpop fans too, because of KDA. Even their current song is with 88rising (under 88rising YT channel), they are more well known.

Not to downplay RV because I love RV too. But that’s the reality.

• I'm just gonna drop this here:

LE badges for their latest comeback available here for a week!

Who cares about badges

• what's this gotta do with spotify streams, though?

Psycho 400mn spotify stream. It would be impressive if the Queencard finds at least 250mn this year. What can I say, congratulations on their success, I also listen to their songs but no matter what Red Velvet is a better group in my opinion. So whatever record they broke congrats to them but in my eyes Red Velvet is always better and bigger group. Also Gidle is the 4th generation group and compare with them if you want to compare.

• Psycho 400mn spotify stream. It would be impressive if the Queencard finds at least 250mn this year. What can I say, congratulations on their success, I also listen to their songs but no matter what Red Velvet is a better group in my opinion. So whatever record they broke congrats to them but in my eyes Red Velvet is always better and bigger group. Also Gidle is the 4th generation group and compare with them if you want to compare.

You adding all these caveats that nobody asked for. From Mentioning their youtube numbers in a thread about their spotify streams to now bringing up their biggest song on spotify to the point of how the groups are doing monthly listener wise.

Offering up all this information I aint ask for

Omg why don't we pin them like before ves

• Yeah, G-idle is more well known among non kpop fans too, because of KDA. Even their current song is with 88rising (under 88rising YT channel), they are more well known.

Not to downplay RV because I love RV too. But that’s the reality.

Non-Kpop fans outside of S. Korea have never heard of either group. Those in Korea would know Red Velvet from massive hits like Red Flavor.

• Non-Kpop fans outside of S. Korea have never heard of either group. Those in Korea would know Red Velvet from massive hits like Red Flavor.

Let’s not kid ourselves that Koreans don’t know Tomboy (which has more than 100 PAKs and made them the GG with most PAKs at that time), and even this year they got PAKs with Queencard. I think Koreans know of G-idle and Red Velvet equally.

• I have said it before, it's hard and not really possible to do a "fair" comparsion between artist from different time periods based on total streams. Why? Because you got many more users of applications like Spotify, Youtube etc. today compared to before. That means current artist will always have an advandage compare to earlier artists because the songs mostly get the majority of the listenings and views the first year of the release. Maybe if you compare the number of streams the first year of song and adjust it the change of total number of users of the application between the time periods you maybe can get a bit fair numbers.

• Let’s not kid ourselves that Koreans don’t know Tomboy (which has more than 100 PAKs and made them the GG with most PAKs at that time), and even this year they got PAKs with Queencard. I think Koreans know of G-idle and Red Velvet equally.

I didn't say Koreans wouldn't know G-Idle. I was contesting your claim that they're more well-known than RV amongst non-Kpop fans. If they aren't more well-known among the general public in Korea, then they aren't going to be more well-known overall, because your average person in places where the genre is more niche can't even name most Kpop groups, much less their songs. It's not like either group is particularly popular in a secondary market such as Japan.

Edited 2 times, last by xviper2k ().

• I have said it before, it's hard and not really possible to do a "fair" comparsion between artist from different time periods based on total streams. Why? Because you got many more users of applications like Spotify, Youtube etc. today compared to before. That means current artist will always have an advandage compare to earlier artists because the songs mostly get the majority of the listenings and views the first year of the release. Maybe if you compare the number of streams the first year of song and adjust it the change of total number of users of the application between the time periods you maybe can get a bit fair numbers.

OMG you mean both groups are not more popular than the Spice Girls who only have 1.8M streams total on Spotify?! pepe-ooh /s

• G-idle had three back-to-back releases which were big bops so their fame and popularity (understandably) skyrocketed. I loved Red Velvet and I like G-idle too, it hurts me to say this but Red Velvet had a badly balanced popularity because of their comebacks being hit or miss with the gp and fandom so even though it would be hard to say which group had the biggest bop, it can be said that G-idle did top already RV's peak popularity. I don't feel the need to shade though. RV was done dirty many times by SM and G-idle shines a little less only because there is a mad competition with ggs right now. I did feel it a little unfair how G-idle missed out on all of the daesang awards in 2022 (if I remember correctly). And I say this as a casual fan of IVE and NewJeans too. Award distribution was a little one-sided but I don't remember all the numbers and statistics, that's true.

* * * * * * •×• * * * * * *

• I didn't say Koreans wouldn't know G-Idle. I was contesting your claim that they're more well-known than RV amongst non-Kpop fans. If they aren't more well-known among the general public in Korea, then they aren't going to be more well-known overall, because your average person in places where the genre is more niche can't even name most Kpop groups, much less their songs. It's not like either group is particularly popular in a secondary market such as Japan.

Playlisting then and now is different though. Nowadays some kpop songs (a few with deals a few for their popularity) get playlisted on playlist made for the global market. A few years ago this would not have been possible. So I do have to argue that international and national popularity can differ, it's not directly proportional at all.

* * * * * * •×• * * * * * *

• This thread contains 22 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!