considering that both TWICE & GFRIEND affected by their concept change, why APINK still getting hits after abandon cute concept ?

• GFRIEND lost their relevancy due to Fingertips after having 3 back to back national hits except for TFTMN and Love Whisper

TWICE started to lost the gp during Feel Special and went downward since then (in term of Korean Charting) except for Alcohol Free

but APINK, getting another 2 hits after their concept change

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

both are mature concept and very different from their usual cute concept yet these 2 can be considered among APINK biggest hits on their career

what do you think ?

• A couple things:

Those songs were just objectively amazing.

Apink were 7 years old and were all women at this point. They had competed in the 2nd gen against very sexy concepts, so switching to that concept isn't totally weird.

Their comeback before I'm So Sick was Five, and while it did pretty well still, I remember the fandom saying they were ready for a mature concept, so they did exactly that. Twice and Gfriend's fandom weren't demanding a concept change to that degree.

• Some people won't like this answer but APink is just a superior group to both Twice and GFriend.

They perfectly pulled off cute concept and are even better at mature concept. They are basically capable of anything while the others are a one trick pony. And also the music is just next level to anything the others have done.

• I'll never understand why GFriend's MAGO didn't have the smashing success that the song deserved, it was really the perfect song/concept/MV for a concept transition from cute/bright to more mature :oops:

My guess it's not so much the concept change, but more so the song catchiness/quality that determines whether a popularity peak maintains its momentum, or regains a new popularity peak like in the case of APink.

I don't think it was TWICE's concept change that affected them negatively, but more so the loss of their biggest hit machine, BEP.

'No more shall man have wings to bear him to paradise. Henceforth, he shall walk.'

SWJ1P.gif

• GFriend stuck with their concept way too long and the innocent concept just isn't one that can be sustained for long. Eyes went off them after Sunrise and never came back. Not only that but SouMu dropped the ball so hard when it came to pushing the girls and completely wasted Yuju's hype.

There are so many arguments to where Twice went wrong tbh.

Apink just did everything right. Several popular members, made an easy trade from cute to elegant right as elegant groups were taking off.

They're the best case for actually maturing your concept

BLACKPINKJESSICANEWJEANSSEJEONGTHE ROSETWICEYERIN BAEKYUKIKA

d5d89d5cd0ded673ad05b4ad8aa66c2a681af589.webpdd50b6cd6932ff0d00806a3981d3928185ee94c1.webp889793cb4f55d557baefb7c564c4b94a3129681d.webp

• I'll never understand why GFriend's MAGO didn't have the smashing success that the song deserved, it was really the perfect song/concept/MV for a concept transition from cute/bright to more mature :oops:

My guess it's not so much the concept change, but more so the song catchiness/quality that determines whether a popularity peak maintains its momentum, or regains a new popularity peak like in the case of APink.

I don't think it was TWICE's concept change that affected them negatively, but more so the loss of their biggest hit machine, BEP.

its too late for gfriend already when they release Mago, theyre no longer consider as top girl group on 2020

if they release it earlier (maybe follow up to their hit TFTMN) it will bcome a big hit

but instead of releasing a banger they choose to release Sunny Summer (which is boring summer song)

• So you are saying twice is talentless, Ok

Your reading comprehension leaves a lot to be desired.

Some people won't like this answer but APink is just a superior group to both Twice and GFriend.

They perfectly pulled off cute concept and are even better at mature concept. They are basically capable of anything while the others are a one trick pony. And also the music is just next level to anything the others have done.

They're so "superior" that they're far less successful. I guess the pony knew a pretty good trick. :pepe-hips:

• The level of Apink highest peak is not the same as Twice’s or Gfriend’s. People naturally compare the group’s highest peaks with current ones so of course Twice and Gfriend would look way worse compared to Apink.

Of course not, the group is never at any point in their career, top 5 most popular girl groups in Korea among their generations. Barely top10 even.

Fe8TZRpaMAIFav2?format=jpg&name=large

ThinkAbouTzu, Tuwuice:pleading::pleading::pleading:

• Your reading comprehension leaves a lot to be desired.

They're so "superior" that they're far less successful. I guess the pony knew a pretty good trick. :pepe-hips:

Oh come on now everyone knows talent has nothing to do with success.

But if you believe it does that have fun believing Twice are the greatest singers in the history of Korean female groups cause of their overall sales. Even though Momo herself basically admitted this not to be true.

• Oh come on now everyone knows talent has nothing to do with success.

But if you believe it does that have fun believing Twice are the greatest singers in the history of Korean female groups cause of their overall sales. Even though Momo herself basically admitted this not to be true.

Who said anything about talent? And why should I take your opinions on that subject seriously when your posts are all adorned by a group with multiple useless members?

You said APink were "superior." There appears to be a wee discrepancy between your narrative and the numbers. The numbers don't lie.

• Of course not, the group is never at any point in their career, top 5 most popular girl groups in Korea among their generations. Barely top10 even.

i believe they are 2nd or 3rd biggest girl group on 2013-2015

SNSD-APINK-SISTAR

APINK-GIRLS DAY-SISTAR (both snsd & 2ne1 hit their worst moment in their career that year)

SISTAR-AOA-EXID

• Difference is Apink started to underperform with their old concept (starting from Remember, Only One and Five). So eventually they ventured into the more mature sound and found success.

No need fix something not broken. That can be said for Gfriend and twice at that point of time

• Of course not, the group is never at any point in their career, top 5 most popular girl groups in Korea among their generations. Barely top10 even.

Apink definitely was top5 at certain point pf time, especially during Mr. CHU and LUV eras. 2nd gen GG rankings were super volatile. Many groups dropped off from top after scandal etc

• Apink definitely was top5 at certain point pf time, especially during Mr. CHU and LUV eras. 2nd gen GG rankings were super volatile. Many groups dropped off from top after scandal etc

Comparing everyone's peaks, they are probably not even top 10 among 2nd gen girl groups

Shouldnt a good comparison would be with SNSD? Both starts with cute concepts and 2nd gen too.

Fe8TZRpaMAIFav2?format=jpg&name=large

ThinkAbouTzu, Tuwuice:pleading::pleading::pleading:

• The premise of this thread is loaded and based on false info.

Twice changed with Fancy and it was a hit, as too was Alcohol Free. More and More also was number 1 on Melon and number 4 on Gaon...so a hit.

You just conveniently left out post concept change Apink had several flop songs too, including their last song.

• i think both groups were losing hype regardless of any concept change. like navillera and knock knock were no flops but you could tell the hype was fading

don't hurt me oncebuddies

Following Knock Knock twice had 5 number 1s in a row, afaik more than any 3rd generation group was ever able to achieve....the hype must have been pretty huge pre KK in that case lol.

• Better songs.

But more seriously (though it is part of the reason), the comparison doesn’t work. Gfriend lost hype as they changed too quickly and Twice lost hype as soon as the public found out most of them still couldn’t sing well after 5 years :pepe-narrow-eyes:

Kinda like what girlgroupstan21 said: there were several groups and artists that didn't really catch the eye of ifans when they rose in popularity, but that were massively popular in South Korea: IU in her early years was 1 of them, APink was another (and Lim Young Woong in recent years)

APink became massively popular in SK in the early '10s, to the point that they were the 3rd most popular gg in SK in 2013 (after SNSD and Sistar) and the 4th most popular in 2014 (after SNSD, Sistar and Girl's Day).

'No more shall man have wings to bear him to paradise. Henceforth, he shall walk.'

SWJ1P.gif

• The level of Apink highest peak is not the same as Twice’s or Gfriend’s. People naturally compare the group’s highest peaks with current ones so of course Twice and Gfriend would look way worse compared to Apink.

Comparing everyone's peaks, they are probably not even top 10 among 2nd gen girl groups

Shouldnt a good comparison would be with SNSD? Both starts with cute concepts and 2nd gen too.

Of course not, the group is never at any point in their career, top 5 most popular girl groups in Korea among their generations. Barely top10 even.

Of course they are in the top 10 of second generation groups and at some point they were in the top 5. Sones and Blackjacks were on the verge of loosing it back in 2013-2015 when Apink scored three hits with NoNoNo, Mr Chu and Luv. Together united for their hate against Apink.

It's not just a question of peak but a question of longevity. Where is the rest of the second generation top 10 ? Nowhere to be found or flopping. Apink had a biggest fanbase than most of second generation groups. Theirs sales were almost on par with f(x) a SM group. Only SNSD, 2NE1 and Kara were selling more albums than them. If they stayed the main breadwinner in Play M for years even if Victon were starting to do well, it's also because of their touring power in Korea and Japan.

It's also a question of solo brand. Eunji is the only second generation soloist who is successful and comes from a non Big3 group (with Hyuna being a limit case). She is a well-known and respected actress in South Korea. Naeun and Bomi are holding their own too. In comparison, Gfriend solo power is non-existent and I am saying that when I like Gfriend a lot.

• Comparing everyone's peaks, they are probably not even top 10 among 2nd gen girl groups

Of course they are in the top 10 of second generation groups and at some point they were in the top 5.

Based on overall performance, I would place Apink in the top 10 among Second Generation girl groups, but not the top 5.

My top 10 would be (in alphabetical order): 2NE1, 4Minute, Apink, Brown Eyed Girls, f(x), Kara, Sistar, SNSD, T-ara, Wonder Girls

Honourable mentions: EXID, Girl's Day, Miss A

• Based on overall performance, I would place Apink in the top 10 among Second Generation girl groups, but not the top 5.

My top 10 would be (in alphabetical order): 2NE1, 4Minute, Apink, Brown Eyed Girls, f(x), Kara, Sistar, SNSD, T-ara, Wonder Girls

In 2013-2015, they were in the top 5 but not overall, I agree on this.

• Based on overall performance, I would place Apink in the top 10 among Second Generation girl groups, but not the top 5.

what are brown eyed girls and 4 minute doing there...

i dont really know about brown eyed girls.. are they that big compared to Girls Day ? because i know girls day have a catalog of hit songs

• what are brown eyed girls and 4 minute doing there...

i dont really know about brown eyed girls.. are they that big compared to Girls Day ? because i know girls day have a catalog of hit songs

Indeed, Brown Eyed Girls and 4Minute were the ones that I struggled with the most. However, according to an analysis of Melon charting that I performed not too long ago (see here), both Brown Eyed Girls/4Minute had better digital performance than Girl's Day.

• Who said anything about talent? And why should I take your opinions on that subject seriously when your posts are all adorned by a group with multiple useless members?

You said APink were "superior." There appears to be a wee discrepancy between your narrative and the numbers. The numbers don't lie.

Useless members? What group are you referring to? Realistically any group with more than 4 or 5 will have useless members. Traditionally a kpop group only needs 2 strong vocalists, a rapper, and a visual.

Yes the numbers don't lie that Twice was more successful than APink. But anyone with eyes and ears can tell APink is the superior group in actual talent and music. That's what I was referring to.

• Useless members? What group are you referring to? Realistically any group with more than 4 or 5 will have useless members. Traditionally a kpop group only needs 2 strong vocalists, a rapper, and a visual.

Yes the numbers don't lie that Twice was more successful than APink. But anyone with eyes and ears can tell APink is the superior group in actual talent and music. That's what I was referring to.

The one. All over. Your posts. A 5-member group, at least 3 of whom had less talent than anyone in 9-member Twice.

And you want to judge Twice's talent?

You can prefer APink's music if you'd like; that's entirely subjective. But don't pretend you're not in the minority on that, or act like APink are some sort of musical virtuosos. They're not.

• The one. All over. Your posts. A 5-member group, at least 3 of whom had less talent than anyone in 9-member Twice.

And you want to judge Twice's talent?

You can prefer APink's music if you'd like; that's entirely subjective. But don't pretend you're not in the minority on that, or act like APink are some sort of musical virtuosos. They're not.

I hope to God you're not talking about f(x). I pray to every God in existence.

• This thread contains 4 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!