If Irene can be so rude to her stylist to the point that she cried I am sure your fave can refuse cornrows

• ?

Official thread OST

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Yup. I'm sure idols have told stylist before they don't want a certain outfit or hairstyle, it's not hard to tell your stylist "hey I don't want this, let's try something else." People act like it's all the companies fault when the idols had to sit in a chair for hours looking in the mirror while stylists braid their hair.

At one point you can easily say I don't like this.

• If Irene can be so rude to her stylist to the point that she cried I am sure your fave can refuse cornrows, braids e.t.c

original.gif

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Yup. I'm sure idols have told stylist before they don't want a certain outfit or hairstyle, it's not hard to tell your stylist "hey I don't want this, let's try something else." People act like it's all the companies fault when the idols had to sit in a chair for hours looking in the mirror while stylists braid their hair.

At one point you can easily say I don't like this.

yeah but remember that some of them are 14-15 year old kids living under the rock aka in company basement, and apparently schools in Korea don't teach kids too much about other cultures, not mentioning parents.

So you can't blame teenager for making braids when even 50-60 year old people in industry are calling them "concept"...

• What age did you find out it was wrong to wear cornrows and dreads? Probably not until some point in your teens because you didn't learn it. If I didn't learn about it, I probably would have thought it was okay, too. Honestly, I thought it was acceptable until the last few years thanks to being on websites like Tumblr. If I hadn't been on Tumblr or Twitter, I wouldn't have known.

I am black. I learnt about ca since I was a baby. Are you black?

• Nope, and that's why educating people about these things is important. Most people would have no clue unless they go into certain social circles on the Internet.

I do understand we should educate people but Kpop idols do not listen. There is only so much you can do. People say educate not cancel but we do educate? we have been for years and nobody listens to us. Korean people know about braids and dreads, they call it reggae hair or octopus hair. They know.

• most of them don't know the meaning behind that hair

Yes, but they know racism, especially because when tmz copied and mocked a kpop idols accents when she said she was happy all of Korea was talking about it and news outlets about the racism and when they they do the same to black people so they know what they are doing and a lot of black people who went to korea have said that korea is racist

• I never understood putting burden on stylist. Lol. Both party are involved.

Stan Twitter has convinced themselves oppar and unnir are being “forced” while the real truth maybe they don’t feel the same way about CA the way you do. Alas according to stan Twitter having different thoughts on what’s CA means the idol is evil. Lol. And that’s pretty much where the problem arises and why stylists get blamed.

• Cornrows and dreads i can see being CA for the most part today considering what groups mainly wears it, even if historically they have been worn by different cultures through the ages.

But braids? Braids have been donned by basically every single culture since dawn of man and is still done all over the world to this day, none can really claim ownership over that.

I also wouldnt expect any single native korean to know anything about stuff like this, there is nothing in their education or media that brings up stuff like this, their companies tho should now better when they are primarily trying to target a foregin, and today often western market.

• Wendy also didn’t apologize for mocking black women twice, is it her fault because she didn’t want to or was SM forcing her?

It’s funny how the narrative changes depending on who we are talking about

• It really depends on the idols personal feelings towards the whole ' hair is patented by black culture ' issue and it depends on the company and the idol's status. If it's a baby company or a baby idol, no one cares what they think. If it's big names then they have more say, but it's mostly up to the company. Most idols don't have that much to do with their styles or concepts so it's not really their job. If you're going to blame anyone, it should be the stylists.

• yeah but remember that some of them are 14-15 year old kids living under the rock aka in company basement, and apparently schools in Korea don't teach kids too much about other cultures, not mentioning parents.

So you can't blame teenager for making braids when even 50-60 year old people in industry are calling them "concept"...

why apparently? schools in the us don't teach too much about other cultures too, only about those who are part of their history. i can assure you that they don't teach anything about hungarian history and culture and vice versa. as expected. hungarians have nothing in common with american history and culture, they have more important issues to learn about.

koreans don't know much or anything about hitler. the nazi controversy has taught us that. "but they should know, korea and japan have a long history", japanese don't know about it either, their youth thought swastika is a manji.

• better wording is - non-homogenous countries where white people are the majority. eastern europe is homogenous - white - and we don't care about phrasing. tho koreans are more blunt than us, they sometimes go too far even for me

at least once a month we have this discussion.

my country was over 450 years under the ottoman empire (now turkey) and if anyone from turkey wanted to use something from our culture nobody would care, let them use whatever they want.

the concept of ca will always be foreign to me, i will never understand how sharing cultures is a bad thing. this is an international forum, with people of many nationalities, races, cultures, and histories, we're never going to agree on this matter.

• why apparently? schools in the us don't teach too much about other cultures too, only about those who are part of their history. i can assure you that they don't teach anything about hungarian history and culture and vice versa. as expected. hungarians have nothing in common with american history and culture, they have more important issues to learn about.

koreans don't know much or anything about hitler. the nazi controversy has taught us that. "but they should know, korea and japan have a long history", japanese don't know about it either, their youth thought swastika is a manji.

I agree with this. As an American myself, the expectation that other countries should know American history and the history relevant to our country is utter bs. I don't know the history of many other countries. They cannot teach us EVERYTHING in school.

• I get what youre saying OP, but Irene is from a big 3 company, in the top 3 GG in korea, literally one of the most famous idols, and RV is a senior group now

for example, I dont think a rookie in a nugu group from a small unknown company would have that kind of freedom/power

• I just do not get the entitlement of some people who know 0 zero about other people’s culture and try to force their social identity politics on countries that have never had a problem with ca or anything in that relation. The expectation of some people is out of my mind. Why would we concentrate on a problem that isn’t that much of a deal or doesn’t work in our value system (example: race is not a thing in my country. We go by ethnicities rather than skin color)?

I understand the need to make certain social problems aware but you cannot copy problems or solutions into other societies without knowing their cultural mindset and values.

• I've never heard of AAVE before reading it here. I'm curious how you can differentiate AAVE from regular speech that is used from day to day basis?

In the quote in the comment above (couldn't find the original comment)I see some phrases that seemed to me just populair Gen-z/millenial sayings, but I didn't know that they had background in African American culture, or that it would seem offensive if a non African American would use. Mind you I'm European, so I guess these nuancances might be harder to read when not American.

But I would compare it to the Dutch language, where in slang/popular modern phrases we also use words from Suriname which used to be a Dutch colony. They also experienced oppression from the Dutch, but using those words or phrases doesn't seem to be an issue.

I guess I'm just trying to understand. Especially from a non-American view it seems very complicated.

• This thread contains 10 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!