LIVE: Bang Si-hyuk, Chairman of HYBE Is Speaking To The Korean Press About K-pop's Slowing Growth & Future Plans

• External Content m.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

You can go down this thread :

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

STAFF EDIT: Adding actual English PR Hybe released afterwards.

• So this is a response to governments attempt to keep an eye on the SM deal? Shady things are flying left and right out of that deal. Ofc the market should be regulated.

External Content twitter.com

External Content www.youtube.com

Bang: agencies must respect their artists, and it is a misunderstanding that agencies control them.

Aye

where was the respect toward Gfriend? didnt even tell them they were about to be disbanded

• read the summary

He is throwing a temper tantrum cause he didnt get his way

Typical of their likes. Exactly sth LSm would say.

• So, basically him justifying trying to create a monopoly over Korea's music market.

Did you really need a press conference for this bruh?

PGDPGT PRETTY GIRLS DOING PRETTY GIRL THINGS

fc48bd06c65bdda5a70662a95298c58967e2efac.gifv2388a663244f2a30b386bac2c9600bc97508161c.gifv

• While Hybe's approach wasn't the best, he's right. US labels would prefer to control the kpop industry if they can and since they can't, they'll shut them out of the Western market. Kpop needs a united front of some sort of it wants to expand West, which is where many companies have set their sights.

• While Hybe's approach wasn't the best, he's right. US labels would prefer to control the kpop industry if they can and since they can't, they'll shut them out of the Western market. Kpop needs a united front of some sort of it wants to expand West, which is where many companies have set their sights.

Facts.

Which is why one of Bang PD goals is to make Kpop global..but yet people hate him for it.

• So, basically him justifying trying to create a monopoly over Korea's music market.

Did you really need a press conference for this bruh?

Its like a poor me, I was doing everyone a favor but they misunderstood me kinda of a thing

He is really going after Chris Lee crown of kpop drama queen

• Facts.

Which is why one of Bang PD goals is to make Kpop global..but yet people hate him for it.

It's very weird to me how people dismiss everything he says just because they don't like him. There are plenty of people in the world who I don't like, and some who I outright hate, but I can acknowledge when they make a good point or say something worth considering.

• This is literally how chaebol are created, government and business collude to dominate a particular industry (Samsung, Hyundai, LG, etc), all to protect Korean industries and enable them to better compete globally. This is the Asian way, China and Japan do the same thing, China is pretty much state sponsored capitalism, Japan has their zaibatsu. Asian societies are the polar opposite of American, the emphasis on collective over individual, centralized control over individual freedoms and rights.

BangPD is right in a sense though. Even our own more liberal markets have eventually consolidated into a few giant behemoths. Apple, Google, Amazon, etc in tech, and in music, its UMG, Sony and Warner. They wont let Kpop companies truly thrive in the US (using things like radio to gatekeep Kpop songs away from Hot 100) unless the American companies get the lion's share of profits or control or both. They can't afford to let pop music sung in Korean actually make serious inroads here, imagine if for some reason songs sung in Korean actually start being trendy and even preferred by mainstream local audiences - 99.99 percent of local acts couldnt compete since no one speaks it. The need to defend the hegemony of English is a big unspoken factor here.

Ultimately, i dont think we need just one monopolistic conglomerate controlling Kpop, if that is what Bang is implying. I think having a duopoly with SM-Kakao on one side, Hybe-YG-Naver on the other side, would also still be a feasible structure to grow Kpop. CJ and JYP would be wild cards here. They could join either of the two conglomerates, go at it alone like theyre doing now, or combine together and form a third major rival to the other two. All the nugu and mid tier labels could end up disbanding or being bought out if they're profitable.

• It's very weird to me how people dismiss everything he says just because they don't like him. There are plenty of people in the world who I don't like, and some who I outright hate, but I can acknowledge when they make a good point or say something worth considering.

What you have is a good head on your shoulders and have the ability to see passed bias. Cherish that, as soo many people like it and lacking this crucial skill is how you end up with cults and trump level followers. You are able to see the message or pov of another person even If you dislike them. But understand that even those you hate can have value to you. But unfortunately most like this and will discredit anything from those they don't like regardless if it's right or the truth from those people. Being blind is sad

• This is literally how chaebol are created, government and business collude to dominate a particular industry (Samsung, Hyundai, LG, etc), all to protect Korean industries and enable them to better compete globally. This is the Asian way, China and Japan do the same thing, China is pretty much state sponsored capitalism, Japan has their zaibatsu. Asian societies are the polar opposite of American, the emphasis on collective over individual, centralized control over individual freedoms and rights.

BangPD is right in a sense though. Even our own more liberal markets have eventually consolidated into a few giant behemoths. Apple, Google, Amazon, etc in tech, and in music, its UMG, Sony and Warner. They wont let Kpop companies truly thrive in the US (using things like radio to gatekeep Kpop songs away from Hot 100) unless the American companies get the lion's share of profits or control or both. They can't afford to let pop music sung in Korean actually make serious inroads here, imagine if for some reason songs sung in Korean actually start being trendy and even preferred by mainstream local audiences - 99.99 percent of local acts couldnt compete since no one speaks it. The need to defend the hegemony of English is a big unspoken factor here.

Ultimately, i dont think we need just one monopolistic conglomerate controlling Kpop, if that is what Bang is implying. I think having a duopoly with SM-Kakao on one side, Hybe-YG-Naver on the other side, would also still be a feasible structure to grow Kpop. CJ and JYP would be wild cards here. They could join either of the two conglomerates, go at it alone like theyre doing now, or combine together and form a third major rival to the other two. All the nugu and mid tier labels could end up disbanding or being bought out if they're profitable.

This. I don't like him just like I don't like the other ceo but people saying he's throwing tantrum and make no sense just because they hate him is giving the pressed kpop stans energy. At least please try to understand the context here. If you involved in market analysis, you will have no problem to understand that in fact, he was right . I won't say the monopoly is the only answer or must be done, but kpop is indeed need to unite in order to properly establish themselves in the west. They started making new rules to prevent kpop from spreading there.

I don't agree with the single monopoly that he promote, but on the other hand he is right and not only talking bullshit.

• It's very weird to me how people dismiss everything he says just because they don't like him. There are plenty of people in the world who I don't like, and some who I outright hate, but I can acknowledge when they make a good point or say something worth considering.

it is not enough to stan idols

kpop in 2023 we stan CEOs

• I was against Hybe's latest move to "taekover" SM and still think it was an embarassment, but I can't disagree with several points he made:

- To continue success, infrastructure to support K-pop distribution in the mainstream market needs to strengthened/improved

- K-pop agencies need to focus on better bargaining power against major global labels and they have made missteps here due to not being familiar enough with the US market

- agencies must respect their artists, and it is a misunderstanding that agencies control them (let's hope this is not just lip service)

• This is a sweet dream, and if Bang really think about this he is stupid. If kpop keep growing in west, Europe or USA governement will step in to protect their interest as they do every time for everything.

Of course they will, but I think it is a worthy fight, especially in today's atmosphere of such prominent anti-asian sentiment. Is he idealistic? Very likely. Is he stupid for hoping for it? Well then I am too.

• especially in today's atmosphere of such prominent anti-asian sentiment.

This atmosphere will only keep going and get even worse in the next year unfortunately. USA and China started their war some years ago and the battle of soft power is really important for both. That's also why China imposes more and more restriction on kpop.

If you really love something, you have to know how to let go.

tumblr_oln7qtTHZo1vkpbuyo2_540.gifv

• This is a sweet dream, and if Bang really think about this he is stupid. If kpop keep growing in west, Europe or USA governement will step in to protect their interest as they do every time for everything.

i’m sure it was stupid for women and slaves to dare dream of equality for themselves at some point in the past too bc the notion was just unthinkable to achieve at the time 🤧

and before someone comes for me with a dumb rebuttal, no obviously i am not equating kpop to slavery, i’m just looking at situations where a change to the system is endeavoured despite how foolish and improbable it seems. if any attempt for change was shot down for how dumb it was, we’d probably still be living in the bronze age bc innovation through trial and error and a strive for the unthinkable were always a stupid pipe dream, so to speak, lol

• K pop needs to thrive and survive in the global market because SK’s population is dwindling. Isn’t it the lowest birth rate alarming the government? The audience to support KPop groups is getting smaller as fans get older and a new crop of young people as a population is getting smaller

South Korea's fertility rate hits new low; remains last in OECD

• i’m sure it was stupid for women and slaves to dare dream of equality for themselves at some point in the past too bc the notion was just unthinkable to achieve at the time 🤧

Make efforts and try to understand what I'm saying before throwing any sophistry.

I am talking about an economic and political reality concerning relationship between two countries. In case you weren't aware, the balance of power between the USA and Korea is not very balanced, I'll let you think for a few seconds on your own and understand who is imposing his will and his rules on the other.

If you really love something, you have to know how to let go.

tumblr_oln7qtTHZo1vkpbuyo2_540.gifv

Isn’t that how akp works? people here in general hate or love companies much than they respect their faves or seeing the bigger picture

on this topic, his talk about kpop being shut out reflects on current bb charting. Because kpop companies is technically independent labels in US, western industry had tried to upheld the big 3 elitism by taking many airplay and overweight them in charting

And if the answer of further development for next big kpop act post bts is fully signed by american label, then the act will lose the korean distinction and connection. It’s a lose-lose stagnant situation for the local companies

• Kpop is laughed at by other people becaue of it's toxic controlling industry and fans. It cannot compete on a global level when US start doing their groups again.

• This atmosphere will only keep going and get even worse in the next year unfortunately. USA and China started their war some years ago and the battle of soft power is really important for both. That's also why China imposes more and more restriction on kpop.

As I said, I still believe the fight to improve the perception and treatment of those of Asian ethnicity in the west is a worthy one. KPOP may be a small part of this, but I do believe it is a relevant part of the battle in what has been an ongoing fight.

• Make efforts and try to understand what I'm saying before throwing any sophistry.

I am talking about an economic and political reality concerning relationship between two countries. In case you weren't aware, the balance of power between the USA and Korea is not very balanced, I'll let you think for a few seconds on your own and understand who is imposing his will and his rules on the other.

i’m not here to simp for what a courageous genius hybe’s ceo is and i certainly am no an advocate for how he approaches his dreamt vision, in fact i couldn’t care less about him lol, so you don’t have to lecture me on his shortcomings on whatever matter. i was just referring to your attitude towards people’s aspirations when you think that they’re very dumb and therefore should be dropped.

and i’m not sure what your point is regarding the us and korea’s imbalance of power bc literally every struggle in history that bought change stemmed from power imbalance between different factions so.. :pepewhat: you do know we’re not talking from a moral standpoint here but just about the success probability of attempts to bring change, regardless of their “rightness” or wrongness depending on subjective viewpoints, right?

• Kpop is laughed at by other people becaue of its toxic controlling industry and fans. It cannot compete on a global level when US start doing their groups again.

Where have you been when the US brought back their old boy bands like Backstreet Boys, Jonas Bros when BTS craze was on the rise? There are also groups like CNCO, Why Don’t we, and other weird boy band names debuting and were competing with BTS in the west. Even Simon Cowell tried to make UK pop to compete with kpop back in 2019 but the group fizzled out.

I think it’s not just Kpop is on a decline, western acts too.. because everything is globalised so the next big thing might be from India or Egypt.. no one really knows.

• I think it’s not just Kpop is on a decline, western acts too.. because everything is globalised so the next big thing might be from India or Egypt.. no one really knows.

honestly this. The reason for mainstream media's decline is globalization. It's happening to the Indian cinema industry as well, which is somehow doing well internationally recently. Kpop thrived because of globalization. I don't understand what he's even complaining about.

𝐁𝐓𝐒 ♡ 𝐁𝐥𝐚𝐜𝐤𝐩𝐢𝐧𝐤 ♡ 𝐀𝐞𝐬𝐩𝐚

27dbe724372b809813a823b7367393edb58cad57.gifv

yeah, just like the European government did SOOOOO well at suppressing American hip hop, Latin music and Afrobeat from ever being listened to in Europe

• He does have a point about US labels, though. If they cannot profit off of kpop directly, they absolutely will shut it out of the market.

Think of all of the charting changes, lack of radio play, lack of national recognition/awards, and even needing to change their sound entirely to "appeal" to US fans.

There has definitely been a shift in the overseas market target, too. First it was Japan, then China, and now the USA/West.

• Bang PD just wants to compete with the big boys....Universal, Sony, and Warner! That is his ultimate goal. Bang does make some valid points and shouldn't be dismissed.

Yeah doesn't mean govemrnet needs to step in to help realize his personal ambitions

• agencies must respect their artists, and it is a misunderstanding that agencies control them (let's hope this is not just lip service

Lol I had the same thought. Maybe he just realized this after BTS got big. But its commonly known that agencies control the idol. Hell Namjoon even addressed this in a recent interview when asked about kpop being manufactured.

• Lol I had the same thought. Maybe he just realized this after BTS got big. But its commonly known that agencies control the idol. Hell Namjoon even addressed this in a recent interview when asked about kpop being manufactured.

they say change starts from the home

Where was the respect for gfriend? They literally built somu from ground up and they fired them without prior notice.

They are still going after the trademark to stop the members from promoting.

It sounds alot like do as I say not as I do

• This thread contains 25 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!