Chris Lee being embarrassing part 3:​ The reason why SM is against HYBE's hostile takeover

• External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• plz stop

just stfu

stop running your mouth and do sth productive

all you talk about is SM's shareholders

who the fuck cares??????

care about the artists

• From an outsider’s pov, hybe should have just left SM alone no matter how LSM encourages them to. It’ll be no fun anymore.

But I guess, they really do need SM from a business standpoint.

Anyway, how many seasons do you think will this go?? I feel bad for SM artists.

• Well, this dude literally states flat out that even a minority stake by Hybe of only 40 percent of the company would be enough of an interest in SM to control SM's management decisionmaking. Kinda makes me laugh a little at folks who were claiming that parent companies who held majority interests of a subsidiary or even wholly owned a subsidiary were somehow powerless to control that subsidiary, that the subsidiary was somehow independent and didnt have to answer to the parent company lol.

Now we see the cold hard business reality. ALL SUBSIDIARIES ARE ANSWERABLE TO THE PARENT. Ador, Pledis Source, Woolim, Starshit, WM, IST, every subsidiary out there has only as much freedom as the parent company allows. Even a minority stake of 40 percent by parent Hybe has the subsidiary company SM quaking in its boots, knowing full well that 40 percent is enough to control the subsidiary's operations.

• Well, this dude literally states flat out that even a minority stake by Hybe of only 40 percent of the company would be enough of an interest in SM to control SM's management decisionmaking. Kinda makes me laugh a little at folks who were claiming that parent companies who held majority interests of a subsidiary or even wholly owned a subsidiary were somehow powerless to control that subsidiary, that the subsidiary was somehow independent and didnt have to answer to the parent company lol.

Now we see the cold hard business reality. ALL SUBSIDIARIES ARE ANSWERABLE TO THE PARENT. Ador, Pledis Source, Woolim, Starshit, WM, IST, every subsidiary out there has only as much freedom as the parent company allows. Even a minority stake of 40 percent by parent Hybe has the subsidiary company SM quaking in its boots, knowing full well that 40 percent is enough to control the subsidiary's operations.

he made some good points

Hybe overprices literally everything

ofc as a fan I dont wanna pay more for concerts and albums.

• he made some good points

Hybe overprices literally everything

ofc as a fan I dont wanna pay more for concerts and albums.

Yep, there is definitely monopoly risk at play here, which usually means higher prices for everyone.

At the risk of tooting my own horn, i wasnt too far away from my estimates that SM-Hybe would control 70-80 percent of Kpop digital and physical sales.

Screenshot 2023-02-19 151545.png

For all concerned, SM-Hybe would just be too powerful.

BTS

EXO

Seventeen

SUJU

SHINEE

Aespa

RV

LSRFM

Newjeans

Enhypen

TXT

Zico

Taeyeon

Dream

Fromis

Eunbi

Who could challenge this company, especially since Hybe and YG have a strong partnership at play as well?

• technically shouldnt JYP be the most concerned rn?

they use to have SM as some sorta of an ally, now thy will be pretty much cornered?

This basically. I laugh when some Armys on twitter say they are happythat Big Hit is a private company independent of Hybe...like Hybe owns 100% of BH ffs.

• technically shouldnt JYP be the most concerned rn?

they use to have SM as some sorta of an ally, now thy will be pretty much cornered?

They should definitely be reviewing their operations and plans ASAP if they havent started already. They should probably be putting out feelers with Kakao and CJENM to secure continued access to important platforms like MNET, Studio Choom, Melon, Kakaotalk, etc. If somehow Hybe fails in its efforts to acquire SM and if Kakao-SM actually happens instead, then i would seriously have talks with Hybe/Naver/YG to form a counteralliance.

If they get left behind and abandoned by all the big players, they could end up a legacy company with only legacy acts that only survive by milking aging fanbases. SKZ are now seniors as are Twice. Itzy is middle aged and NMIXX just hasnt taken off. I know their stock has outperformed everyone else in recent years probably due to the explosion of Twice, Itzy and SKZ's fandoms. But if they want to continue to grow instead of plateau, eventually the revenue streams of their current acts will have to not only be supplemented but ultimately replaced by newer acts.

Ideally i would like to see SM-Kakao vs Hybe-YG-JYP. I think this is the fairest and most competitive duopoly possible in Kpop right now.

• This has actually been an effective strategy by Lee as public opinion and the investment community in Korea has been swayed to him and Kakao.

YG Family

1080x360

*Disclaimer I don't read responses to my posts unless I've replied to you before. If that offends you BLOCK ME. It's not my job to police your feelings.

• This has actually been an effective strategy by Lee as public opinion and the investment community in Korea has been swayed to him and Kakao.

he might be on to sth even if its not legally effective its been working for him from PR pov

• They should definitely be reviewing their operations and plans ASAP if they havent started already. They should probably be putting out feelers with Kakao and CJENM to secure continued access to important platforms like MNET, Studio Choom, Melon, Kakaotalk, etc. If somehow Hybe fails in its efforts to acquire SM and if Kakao-SM actually happens instead, then i would seriously have talks with Hybe/Naver/YG to form a counteralliance.

If they get left behind and abandoned by all the big players, they could end up a legacy company with only legacy acts that only survive by milking aging fanbases. SKZ are now seniors as are Twice. Itzy is middle aged and NMIXX just hasnt taken off. I know their stock has outperformed everyone else in recent years probably due to the explosion of Twice, Itzy and SKZ's fandoms. But if they want to continue to grow instead of plateau, eventually the revenue streams of their current acts will have to not only be supplemented but ultimately replaced by newer acts.

Ideally i would like to see SM-Kakao vs Hybe-YG-JYP. I think this is the fairest and most competitive duopoly possible in Kpop right now.

JYP aligns themselves with SM alot of time, it will more likely be kakao-SM-JYP if Kakao gets SM shares. The other side withh be Hybe-YG-Naver. I thinks thats fair and square.

:pepe-shrug:

• This basically. I laugh when some Armys on twitter say they are happythat Big Hit is a private company independent of Hybe...like Hybe owns 100% of BH ffs.

TBH i think most tweets like that are from baby Armys, teens still in school. At least i hope so lol. But yes, absolutely nothing happens at any division, department, office, cubicle, janitors closet, or urinal within any of Hybe's subsidiaries without BangPD's approval.

• This is correct.

Especially considering YG benefits from the digital and physical sales of Hybe as Hybe uses YGPlus.

The Naver-YG-Hybe alliance is really taking control of the content market.

Especially when YG and Naver completes the building of the biggest VFX/SFX studio in Korea. It's where TV and Movies will be filmed.

But more importantly it's where online concerts will be made. And I strongly believe YG and Hybe will shoot weekly "music show" type programming and pull their artists from the traditional music shows.

Labels have been complaining that these music shows, which have become glorified YouTube channels (the 17 different types of fancams) by taking advantage of views...views that the labels could be benefitting off of.

YG Family

1080x360

*Disclaimer I don't read responses to my posts unless I've replied to you before. If that offends you BLOCK ME. It's not my job to police your feelings.

• Another good point is I guess, the limit number of albums a company with its subs can put out every year.

This would mean less solos, sub-units and collabs for everyone. Kinda sucky

• Another good point is I guess, the limit number of albums a company with its subs can put out every year.

This would mean less solos, sub-units and collabs for everyone. Kinda sucky

There's a limit?

BLACKPINKJESSICANEWJEANSSEJEONGTHE ROSETWICEYERIN BAEKYUKIKA

d5d89d5cd0ded673ad05b4ad8aa66c2a681af589.webpdd50b6cd6932ff0d00806a3981d3928185ee94c1.webp889793cb4f55d557baefb7c564c4b94a3129681d.webp

• There's a limit?

according to the vid yes

100 is more than what any company can do alone, but hybe + SM might well go over 100

that means less stuff for everyone

• JYP aligns themselves with SM alot of time, it will more likely be kakao-SM-JYP if Kakao gets SM shares. The other side withh be Hybe-YG-Naver. I thinks thats fair and square.

How many times I have to say that JYPE has shares in NAVER same as YG and Hybe.

I am not worried for JYPE since they have businesses with NAVER with Hybe and YG, CJ ENM, SM and other ventures.

• How many times I have to say that JYPE has shares in NAVER same as YG and Hybe.

I am not worried for JYPE since they have business with NAVER with Hybe and YG, CJ ENM, SM and other ventures.

as many times as you like

• JYP aligns themselves with SM alot of time, it will more likely be kakao-SM-JYP if Kakao gets SM shares. The other side withh be Hybe-YG-Naver. I thinks thats fair and square.

BTS

Seventeen

Blackpink

Treasure

Enhypen

TXT

Newjeans

LSRFM

GD

Taeyang

Somi

Zico

AKMU

Winner

Fromis

Baby Monster

vs

EXO

SUJU

SHINEE

Aespa

RV

Taeyeon

Dream

Eunbi

Ive

IU

Stayc

The Boyz

Victon

MonstaX

Apink

Weeeekly

Twice

SKZ

NMIXX

Itzy

• Kakao?

wdym?

I dont think they have that many kpop artists

just the ones under starship are really active

• Here's the thing...

SM was always vulnerable to a takeover. Mainly because their minority stake is so large and LSM was pissing off people through taking such a huge salary by suspect means.

First the minority ownership SM's was too high and made them vulnerable:

SM - 70.53%

JYP - 63.2%

YG - 57.7%

So people saying what's happening to SM would happen to YG and JYP simply don't know the logistics.

Especially YG, who's a partner to Naver and Hybe, but mostly because structurally YG isn't set up to be taken over.

Especially with Naver and YG being BFFs for years and have many partnerships together...THEBLACKLABEL probably being their next partnership when they go public.

Of YG ownership:

Yang Hynsuk - 16.9%

Yang Minsuk (YG's brother) - 3.5%

Naver - 8.9%

YG Inc. - .8%

That's 30.1% who will always vote and stick together.

Next salary:

The reason why the negativity of Align Partners' actions were able to gain support from minority shareholders is that Soo-man Lee received a larger amount than his share while performing producer duties.

On the other hand, JYP's Park Jin-young and YG Entertainment's Yang Hyun-seok are performing their production duties without signing a service contract through a separate company.

In the case of Jinyoung Park, JYP Ent . As CCO (Chief Creative Officer), he received a total of 2.13416 billion won in remuneration from January to June last year. Salary is 234.16 million won , bonus is 19billion won.

In the case of Yang Hyun-suk, it has been confirmed that he is working as Executive Producer producing for his agency without any additional remuneration. In the case of Teddy, the representative producer of BLACKPINK, after becoming independent as 'The Black Label', he is receiving compensation according to the contract when collaborating with YG Entertainment

YG Family

1080x360

Edited once, last by Blue2012 ().

• WayV, TVXQ, SNSD, Kangta, &TEAM, Baekho and co. yeet themself off out the window

I have never heard of half these names omg and what in Sam hill is "%TEAM"? Is this a Korean revival of the classic ATeam from my youth?

Plus WayV is Chinese and TVXQ/SNSD are defacto disbanded arent they? :pepe-shrug:

• EYE

TVXQ still does dome tours

they are money printing machine in Japan

• Agreed. Not defending HYBE, but even for someone as big as BTS with great demands for concert they never took advantage of fans and instead give us a more reasonable ticket prices. They also never opted for dynamic pricing which seems to be the norm for big western artists who are in the same caliber of BTS.

Bad example, tbh. He could've raised a good point in inflating album prices and merch items, but this is probably exclusive to BTS only lol.

• same maybe kakao taking over would have been better

well Kakao takeover would have diluted LSM shares and he is a greedy mofo so he unloaded them to hybe and it their problem

• From what I know, BTS PTD (2021-2022) concert tickets cost pretty much the same as their LYS tour (2018-2019) tickets...

No. Their 2019 US stadium tour average ticket price is 147 bucks, then the average price of their 8 dates PTD US tour is 168 bucks. It's a bit expensive than the last time, but it's still very reasonable. Pandemic hike up the cost of producing a concert which is why every artists' ticket prices have risen since 2021.

Honestly, out of all the things, I'm still thankful to HYBE for not overpricing a concert ticket, even if they have the power to do so because of a great demand of BTS in the market. Armys will literally buy anything that has a BTS name on it. Hopefully, they bring back the regular pricing of a BTS album and merch tho.

• SUBTITLES? Bighit, take a note :pepe-hips:

he got powerpoint, graph and charts and all

• This thread contains 78 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!