bg not charting due to gp not giving chance is overused

• Imo I think that the narrative of gp against bg is overused as the reason for failure of charting. Idh any hate toward any bg as I care for neither. Im just a gg stan expressing what I think abt the bg music scene.

I tried listening to some skz tt (e.g. case 143) or nct 127 (e.g. 2 baddies) to keep up with the trends in the scene and Idh a good opinion on it.

Tbh even candy and some bts songs (boy with luv, dynamite, run etc) are actually appealing or sounds good? Why do most sound like experimental music? I chanced upon some sm music (e.g max changmin devil) for comparison and that even sounds btr?

Music is subjective but u have to admit that if it doesnt appeal to most gg stans it’s less than the male fragile ego but the music

Once (main), Blink & Fearnot

• Most 4 th gen bgs wre unlistenable. Now ggs have album sales too the only department they had. Public will take interest when they start making good music again

• There's pretty valid reasoning behind the thought that most of these new 4th Gen BGs don't chart simply because Korea doesn't have much interest in them. They're basically in the same hole as say any nugu GG: no matter how good their music is, they simply don't have enough Koreans interested in them to get them into the Top 100 list and actually have enough people hear their music to give them a chance. The only way they can chart is if their Korean fanbase is huge enough and most of them just don't have that privilege.

Korea is very much a country focused on trends. And the newer BGs simply aren't a part of the current one.

• 4th gen gen boy groups have dropped many pop-friendly songs.

To reiterate what Tenken101 said, boy groups aren't trendy. It doesn't matter if they drop noise music or the cleanest pop track, the Korean public just doesn't give a shit about them. This isn't unique to 4th gen either.

Basically every boy group that debuted after BTS (that wasn't Wanna One, iKON, or Winner) took years to build a fandom that would get them on digital charts.

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• why don't the bg's who don't make experimental or noisy music chart then? I know people like to hyperfocus on the noisy stuff and be like "SEE SEE THAT'S THE ISSUE", but there is plenty of easy listening, non noisy stuff there, and the vast majority don't chart at all with few exceptions.

💣🎇 P1Harmony 5th Mini Album 'HARMONY : SET IN' OUT NOW!!!💥💣
    b675bae17756d66b1c583cc777acfaac3606736b.gifv7e6700291c446212998eba09549f464a739c91a3.gifv4cd7cc8dafce05255d7d96dfae0cd85dc47c4e21.gifv

P1harmony|SHINee|ITZY|ONF|Monsta X|Purple Kiss|KARD|ONEWE|Pentagon|Billlie|NCT Dream|Ghost9|GOT7

• I think the solution is ez just make another song like candy or boy with luv or dynamite

but isn't most groups trying for that?

like I'm sure every company wants their song to succeed but each group has to differentiate itself from others - ie each group should have their own uniqueness

there's no point in making dynamite 2.0 (I doubt a company can just do it) if a person can just listen to dynamite 1.0

furthermore as I have said with regards to nugus and lesser known groups I think applies equally to certain BG

that if a tree falls in a forrest and nobody is around, does it still make a sound?

and conversely if a BG has a really good song aka dynamite 2.0 but nobody listens to it because they are nugu/lesser known, is it still a good song?

• It is overused because when was the last time a bg put out a hit with international fans yet alone South Korea. BG’s ain’t putting out music at the quality of NewJeans for example. That’s a fact, lets be real

• There's pretty valid reasoning behind the thought that most of these new 4th Gen BGs don't chart simply because Korea doesn't have much interest in them. They're basically in the same hole as say any nugu GG: no matter how good their music is, they simply don't have enough Koreans interested in them to get them into the Top 100 list and actually have enough people hear their music to give them a chance. The only way they can chart is if their Korean fanbase is huge enough and most of them just don't have that privilege.

Korea is very much a country focused on trends. And the newer BGs simply aren't a part of the current one.

U have ur points but I think it’s still overused of gp not giving bg a chance.

Female nugu groups also make hits when they go viral or there’s a unique song - e.g. momoland boom boom.

I think it also boils down to marketing. Ofc trend may play a part, but there’s a period that gg music also slowed down. The interest revived after IVE esp with new jeans music.

Im not a stan but just watching the concept photos and styling of bg it pretty much give the same vibes. I dont find it innovative at all.

• 4th gen gen boy groups have dropped many pop-friendly songs.

To reiterate what Tenken101 said, boy groups aren't trendy. It doesn't matter if they drop noise music or the cleanest pop track, the Korean public just doesn't give a shit about them. This isn't unique to 4th gen either.

Basically every boy group that debuted after BTS (that wasn't Wanna One, iKON, or Winner) took years to build a fandom that would get them on digital charts.

Some of the songs aren’t that catchy to me tho. But maybe it’s just me and subjective

• Nugu applies to gg as well. As long as u are nugu without a interest or solid fanbase nobody gonna care anw.

I think it’s the same for gg if most release the same ole kinda songs like bp gc. One must be innovative or creative enough to market and make songs not only refreshing and public friendly.

I think the continual release of experimental music is going to hurt the interest even more and is detrimental

• why don't the bg's who don't make experimental or noisy music chart then? I know people like to hyperfocus on the noisy stuff and be like "SEE SEE THAT'S THE ISSUE", but there is plenty of easy listening, non noisy stuff there, and the vast majority don't chart at all with few exceptions.

how is the noisy stuff making it better to chart?

• how is the noisy stuff making it better to chart?

that's not the point. If the noisy music is the issue, then the boy groups who do make non noisy stuff should be able to stand out and chart better since that's apparently what everyone wants, but they usually don't.

Unless you're saying that all the boy groups should be making non-noisy music in which case, I don't see that helping either. Unless your name is BTS or Bigbang, you aren't charting these days. Even big4 groups, who you'd think would do better since they have the resources and money to promote, like txt, en, skz, nct dream (besides ig candy recently?), treasure, have all released non noisy stuff that haven't done much, especially in comparison to their gg counterparts. It's just not as simple as "make better music", "don't be noisy", or "don't be experimental". That's completely reductionist.

💣🎇 P1Harmony 5th Mini Album 'HARMONY : SET IN' OUT NOW!!!💥💣
    b675bae17756d66b1c583cc777acfaac3606736b.gifv7e6700291c446212998eba09549f464a739c91a3.gifv4cd7cc8dafce05255d7d96dfae0cd85dc47c4e21.gifv

P1harmony|SHINee|ITZY|ONF|Monsta X|Purple Kiss|KARD|ONEWE|Pentagon|Billlie|NCT Dream|Ghost9|GOT7

• Nugu applies to gg as well. As long as u are nugu without a interest or solid fanbase nobody gonna care anw.

I think it’s the same for gg if most release the same ole kinda songs like bp gc. One must be innovative or creative enough to market and make songs not only refreshing and public friendly.

I think the continual release of experimental music is going to hurt the interest even more and is detrimental

yeap no arguments from me lol

I think the groups (whether BG or GG) need something different about them - to make them stand out from the crowd so to speak - their competitive advantage if you will

the best current example is NJ - everything just fell into place for them

different strokes for different folks my friend - another example of a group who debuted recently with "experimental music" is Nmixx and they are sorta similar to NJ in the sense that they both come from a big company and their concept is very different from the norm (at least the norm in kpop terms) except one had songs which the public liked and the other not so much lol

Nmixx also one of the top "visual" idols of the 4th and one of the top singers of the 4th - it's the mixx pop that is "interesting" shall we say

whether it's detrimental in the long run time will tell I guess but they seem to be selling a lot of albums even if they aren't charting as well

• Yes diff strokes for diff ppl. I would say that most gg styling can be appealing for both male and female as well.

Isnt it the common perception why bg have more female fans and current gg are mixed? I couldnt listen to nmixx music but they still have styling to attract attention.

I think it’s also a general stereotype as well, where it the music is unfavourable eventually the public perception will also start to stereotype the music as such. Maybe if the styling starts to make a trend again perhaps bg may rise. For now it aint it.

Tbh even gg also have their expiry for continued interest as mentioned if they dont pull a hit. I think is multi-factorial too. But still the music and styling and concept.. that’s my opinion tho.

• that's not the point. If the noisy music is the issue, then the boy groups who do make non noisy stuff should be able to stand out and chart better since that's apparently what everyone wants, but they usually don't.

Unless you're saying that all the boy groups should be making non-noisy music in which case, I don't see that helping either. Unless your name is BTS or Bigbang, you aren't charting these days. Even big4 groups, who you'd think would do better since they have the resources and money to promote, like txt, en, skz, nct dream (besides ig candy recently?), treasure, have all released non noisy stuff that haven't done much, especially in comparison to their gg counterparts. It's just not as simple as "make better music", "don't be noisy", or "don't be experimental". That's completely reductionist.

Tbh candy does sound nice if that answers. Darari is not bad either.

• Female nugu groups also make hits when they go viral or there’s a unique song - e.g. momoland boom boom.

do you think that is still true today?

3rd gen had plenty small company gg charting with their music. Exid, aoa, gfriend, momoland and more. But that was long ago. Oh my Girl needed queendom to hit big, Brave Girls appealed to the army. last year we got nothing. So far it seems with 4th Gen we have lost that capability to make nugu chart if they are good.

• do you think that is still true today?

3rd gen had plenty small company gg charting with their music. Exid, aoa, gfriend, momoland and more. But that was long ago. Oh my Girl needed queendom to hit big, Brave Girls appealed to the army. last year we got nothing. So far it seems with 4th Gen we have lost that capability to make nugu chart if they are good.

Im not in that era but when I click some of the videos I find that there was diversity in concepts in past gg.

I agree that 4th gen gg nugu cant seem to chart. Wonder if it’s the overused gc

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!