2023 NewJeans > 2016 Twice

• Lmao am not a fan of twice but 2016 twice probably the second biggest in south korea when it come to impact after SNSD

That’s simply not true LMAOO. Twice clearly didn’t have much impact considering Korea dropped them after just two years

• I know this is a troll thread, but an interesting conversation is buried beneath this trash.

I've been a K-Pop fan for a solid decade now. So I was deeply immersed in the culture by the time Twice showed up.

I think it's far too early to compare Twice's overall dominance and impact in 2016 to NewJeans, who are just barely getting started, however...

Even peak Twice has never done to the charts what NewJeans is doing currently, and the trend line for NewJeans is surging upward. If they keep this momentum, they'll be one of the biggest K-Pop groups ever.

• Peak TWICE was during TT era and they quickly began declining starting with Knock Knock/Signal.

NewJeans has already surpassed that

• That’s simply not true LMAOO. Twice clearly didn’t have much impact considering Korea dropped them after just two years

no, weirdly even tho nj and many ggs have hits recently u cant attach any name to them as their lifespam is so short so korea dont stick out to them

• I haven’t seen so much hype in Korea since 2015 BigBang. I give NewJeans 1 more comeback before they’re called the nations girl group, given IVE’s comeback underperforms

Well;

IVE and NewJeans beginning > Twice and BlackPink beginning.

IVE Has a Debut #2 and 2 #1 hits to begin their career.

NJ has 2 #1 hits and about to get their 3rd, with a few other top 10 songs, in just 2 comebacks.

What did twice and BP do?

Twice a #10 and then 2 #1 hits

BP a #1 hit with a top 10 bside, followed with a #3 song with a top 10 Bside. (and a top 3 song for their 3rd comeback).

• Hmmm this a hard comparison as Twice never went the pre-release route or pushed so many songs forward at once with music videos at their peak.

This era of OMG/Ditto is essentially their TT era. The next era will be the interesting one I reckon that will probably put them above Twice if it does better than their previous two eras.

It’s hard to say Knock Knock was their decline though because you can’t really ever beat Cheer Up so the only way would be down….

• If I were to rank the 4 groups above in order of successful debuts with their first 3 comebacks (NJ only has 2) it would be.

1. NewJeans; not only did they get (possibly) 3 #1 hits, but they also have 2 "Bsides" that broke into the top 3, that is 5 songs in the top 10 of the charts in 2 comebacks.

2. BlackPink; while only their debut song hit #1, they still followed that up with 2 songs that hit top 3, and 2 strong "Bsides" that broke into the top 10. (so 5 songs in the top 10, but it took them 3 comebacks).

3. IVE; Debuted with a top 2 song, then followed that up with 2 consecutive #1 hits. The problem with IVE and why I ranked BP ahead of them, is because IVE Bsides chart as well as my faves (not really, IVE Bs still chart better than my faves) .

4. Twice; They had the worst debut out of the 4, only breaking into 10th place with their debut song, then followed that with 2 #1 hits, but just like IVE, their Bsides did not chart well, I think 70th was their highest Bside in their first 3 comebacks.

• U do know bp never had no bside till square up era? They debut and comeback with double title track

That is why I used (Should have used) "Bside" BP just like NJ released multiple title tracks with their comebacks.

IVE and Twice went with the single title track route. (IVE with just 1 bside) and Twice with Extended plays.

If we are going to argue in favor of volume, nobody can beat Twice, Twice gave their fans lots of music to consume, they are the queens of that for sure.

• Hmmm this a hard comparison as Twice never went the pre-release route or pushed so many songs forward at once with music videos at their peak.

This era of OMG/Ditto is essentially their TT era. The next era will be the interesting one I reckon that will probably put them above Twice if it does better than their previous two eras.

It’s hard to say Knock Knock was their decline though because you can’t really ever beat Cheer Up so the only way would be down….

it wasnt kk, it wa signal that started to form the cracks on twice bubble

• There is no way to outperform cheer up and tt right after. At this point group who doesn’t out hit themselves each time is declining then?

the decline started to show as Twicecoaster Lane 2 was Twice’s best selling album until 2020. They never improved from TT

• Which sold less than 100k copies. With the Christmas edition it was still their best selling album

Hmm if you think about it, they sell albums every year. So not only did it have an extra edition boost it also had back catalogue sales every year that latter releases would have to make up the difference. In that era girl groups weren’t doubling their album sales every few months, especially with how often they released.

I don’t think what you’re saying really makes sense in trying to prove your point.

• There is no way to outperform cheer up and tt right after. At this point group who doesn’t out hit themselves each time is declining then?

Well you already saw how one of the post said After Like underperformed despite being one of the big hit of the year. Sometimes people just need to realise groups are Not going to outdo themselves with every comeback. Typical example is RV, im sure their fans already used to their roller coaster chart ride throughout their career

• Hmm if you think about it, they sell albums every year. So not only did it have an extra edition boost it also had back catalogue sales every year that latter releases would have to make up the difference. In that era girl groups weren’t doubling their album sales every few months, especially with how often they released.

I don’t think what you’re saying really makes sense in trying to prove your point.

Bad excuse i would say

Back catalogue sales are usually higher for latest album than the older albums.

• Hmm if you think about it, they sell albums every year. So not only did it have an extra edition boost it also had back catalogue sales every year that latter releases would have to make up the difference. In that era girl groups weren’t doubling their album sales every few months, especially with how often they released.

If a group isn’t able to increase album sales per comeback it means that group already peaked

• And if you were to rank the first three comebacks of each group, it would be like this:

1. Ive (still holds peak UL and longevity records with two national hits LD and AL, and one megahit Eleven still in the top 40 of Melon after 13 months)

2. New Jeans (coming on REAL strong, if Ditto and OMG hold, they will overtake Ive this year, they could potentially have FOUR national hits )

3. Twice (LOA hurts it, but CU and TT were national hits)

4. Blackpink (Whistle had PAKs, PWF and AIIYL had great longevity and huge Melon ULs)

5. Aespa (Next Level alone is worth like two national hits, it's the most pivotal song in recent history singlehandedly ending both 2nd and 3rd generations with one fell swoop).

6. Lesserafim or Itzy, i'm leaning to LSRFM right now, that AF song is showing remarkable longevity

• No it would be this:

1. NewJeans (they’re next comeback is clearly not gonna flop and they already have 2 national hits with a third one on its way)

2. BLACKPINK (PWF and AIIYL are two of the biggest girl group songs of all time)

3. IVE

4. TWICE (LO really brought it down)

• Bad excuse i would say

Back catalogue sales are usually higher for latest album than the older albums.

It’s not an excuse, it’s simple maths? It still needs to catch up…you realise that right? The album sales for TCL1 are incrementally increasing every month in addition to having more than a 100k for a special addition which is also getting more shipped every month. I think you’re not understanding how big 100k was in that era. After Cheer Up Twice’s first month sales “only” jumped up 80k for their next release lol

• It's a false equivalence because no other group is releasing 6 songs with music videos in the span of like 5 months :skull:

And even with that Twice was outselling most boygroups with their early releases, had a year-end #1 which only IVE has had since then, charted on Gallup and managed to be not only massive in Korea but phenomenons in Japan. It's very much possible that NJ could achieve all of this by the end of the year but until then it's still Twice for me #sorry.

• This is why you never compare cross generations. Metrics and the kpop environment is significantly different during their times to the point where it is simply impossible to compare.

This is just like when 3rd gen to compare groups vs 2nd gen... just get your akorn and go

• Twice outsold, outchart, out-impact, outperform and prettier than new jeans

:yesr::yesr::yesr:

Link?

• Hmmm currently NJ don’t have the highest sales for GG’s though. Twice had the best sales and the best digitals along with some of the best YouTube numbers of the time, so that made them even more invincible.

BlackPink has ruled the tube since they debuted.

Twice did have higher sales, but even here they are not doing as great, obviously is different times, girl groups are selling a lot more now than 7 years ago.

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

TWICE Sales Summary
    Korean:  트와이스 Japanese:  トゥワイス Debut: Korea: October 20th, 2015 Japan: June 28th, 2017 Members:  Nayeon, Jeongyeon, Momo, Sana, Jihyo, Min...
    koreansalestwt.blogspot.com

And as I listed above on the weekly Gaon chart, the other 3 do better than Twice (in the first year or so).

Obviously Twice had 9 #1 songs in a row, that is going to be pretty hard for anyone to match., even BlackPink could [not] do that.

Twice had an amazing 3 year run between 2016 and 2018. Nobody can take that away from them.

• No it would be this:

1. NewJeans (they’re next comeback is clearly not gonna flop and they already have 2 national hits with a third one on its way)

2. BLACKPINK (PWF and AIIYL are two of the biggest girl group songs of all time)

3. IVE

4. TWICE (LO really brought it down)

The debut really does hold back twice, the other 3 jumped right to the top.

But if we expand the criteria to the first 11 comebacks, then nobody can match Twice, Shit BlackPink may not even get to 11 comebacks in their whole career.

• I can’t quote for some reason

BEG4DAWIN I said some of the of the best. Lol. Why did you write me an essay about it 😭

I just used you (your post) to go on a rant. ;-)

• This thread contains 32 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!