If IVE have one more super successful comeback, is it safe to say they're are 4th gens NGG?

• It's a dying title because the divergence in listening and viewing habits for different age groups/generations has grown extremely large.

You have variety stars, youtube celebs, actors, sigers, tiktok celebs, twitch celebs etc.

Just like how there are no new actors known worldwide anymore to the extent the likes of Di Caprio, Will Smith, Brad Pitt etc were at their peak. You ask people who Timothee Chalamet is and most people wouldn't have a clue.

I agree with the last part. I think Covid really impacted Americans' attitudes towards celebrities especially actors. We went without seeing a movie in theaters for a year, plus with streaming apps, it's like our movie going culture has finally hit a wall. I'm seeing a lot of resentment and hate and shade towards actors and Hollywood too among conservatives in particular, moreso now than ever before. With tiktok, IG, Twitch, and YT, celebrity status is being decentralized, no longer focused on the aura manufactured by Hollywood.

And yes, i have no clue what Chalamet looks like, all i know about him is that he was critically applauded for some random indie film a few years back (i think) and he was mentioned by an idol recently, i cant remember who.

• nothing is safe to say with current Gen Z/Gen Alpha in Korea

they are treating Idol groups like toys/games

each year/two someone new pops up and they go crazy about that group forgetting about other ones

genius words

did blackpink release a new album today?'s tweet - "#LALISA ACAB, aquí solo  respetamos a la POLISA " - TrendsmapID BI****S

OT4 BLINKS OR JAIL

• I agree with the last part. I think Covid really impacted Americans' attitudes towards celebrities especially actors. We went without seeing a movie in theaters for a year, plus with streaming apps, it's like our movie going culture has finally hit a wall. I'm seeing a lot of resentment and hate and shade towards actors and Hollywood too among conservatives in particular, moreso now than ever before. With tiktok, IG, Twitch, and YT, celebrity status is being decentralized, no longer focused on the aura manufactured by Hollywood.

And yes, i have no clue what Chalamet looks like, all i know about him is that he was critically applauded for some random indie film a few years back (i think) and he was mentioned by an idol recently, i cant remember who.

Even before Covid it was the case, the celebrity market is incredibly diluted now and the choice, variety and ease of connectivity to different media platforms means people only get exposed to what they want.

Music charts worldwide are currently in a position where the number one song is no longer as representative as music charts are dominated by streaming which is dominated by the younger demographic.

• When TWICE were called NGG after their first number 1 GAON Song and first comeback with Cheer Up, they followed it with 8 other consecutive number 1 Songs which was 9 in total.

Cheer Up Achievements

* Annual Number 1 on the Gaon, Bugs, Genie, Melon and MNet 2016 Digital Charts with an April Release

* First Song to pass 100m Gaon Streams in the same year

* Korean Hosts asking Liam Neeson and Suicide Squad Lead Actresses to do Shy Shy Shy

* Helped TWICE become a Nation's Girl Group, first with Non-Ethnic Koreans

* Used as a Melody for 2 Politcal Parties Elections, including the Party which would win the Election

* Used as a Protest song against former South Korean President

* Used as a Melody for Seoul Pride Parade

* Used in Korean School Text Books for Music, along with HOT's Candy, the only Kpop Songs used

* Inkigayo Triple Crown, MCD Triple Crown, Music Bank (5 wins)

* Daesang - GDA, MMA, MAMA

* Song of the Year - SMA

* Performed by Seoul Arts String Ensemble (Aug 2018)

There is no such thing as a "4th gen NGG" because NGGs are for all generations and TWICE raised the bar extremely high.

S.E.S, FINK.L, SNSD and TWICE are the current GGs that have a Nation's Title, while SNSD and TWICE are NGGs. The common element for these GGs is that they were "Girl Next Door Concept" Groups when they got their Nations' Title

IVE is not a "Girl Next Door Concept" Group.

• If a twice fan says so, then maybe. After all, what would koreans know more about title than twice fans who have been obsessed by it?

• If a twice fan says so, then maybe. After all, what would koreans know more about title than twice fans who have been obsessed by it?

Koreans are more obsessed with Nation's Titles, Tzuyu was born in the year that S.E.S and FINK.L were named Nation's Fairies, the first GGs to get a Nation's Title. SNSD were the first to get Nation's Girl Group in 2009 with the release of Gee while TWICE are the most recent Nation's Titled GG.

Both Wondergirls and Gfriend have been mentioned with Nation's Titles but neither were universally accepted as such by Koreans.

Nation's Titles are very rare in SK, it is usually i-Kpop fans that don't understand this so will claim it for other groups, mostly being their biases.

And yes...

TWICE fans are obsessed with the title NGG because it's a title that isn't like a Trading Card that other i-fandoms think it is

• I think rather than "if they had one more successful comeback after X and Y", the variable that would be more suitable is "if starship didn't mess them up"

This

I could be wrong, but I think Starship lowkey didn't expect them to be THAT huge.

Like they know that Wonyoung and Yujin would bring some hype to their group but maybe they didn't expect it that much because well, it's not like WJSN benefitted a lot from Yeonjung, nor did Cravity do exceptional with the Produce x 101 boys.

So suddenly when IVE become so popular they gave them a lot of stuff to do. Probably why you see Wonyoung especially being super booked. Yes it's tiring but sadly it is what they need (hopefully not too excessive) for them to get popular at the start and ride on the hype.

If Starship play their cards right, IVE is set for many many years to come.

Thing is, they can't do like the 1 comeback (maybe 2) every year like Sistar did. Sistar can have 1 comeback a year and everyone would eat them up and be super hype. But with how 4th gen is looking you really need to constantly be in the scene to not let people forget you. I think the only group who manage to get away with the 1 comeback a year was Oh My Girl from Nonstop to Dun Dun Dance, but for this year Real Love underperformed probably not because of the lack of comeback but because the song wasn't as appealing to the GP.

• i curious can they dominate like bp and twice in the coming years. even after so many girl groups give huge hits the legacy created by bp and twice is so huge especially bp. both i've and asepa did great in their rookie years but i still think it is not comparable to bp and twice rookie years.

• No. It's been what one year since they debuted? Didn't the other groups earn that title through more than just 1 year of success, particularly knowing how fickle the GP attention is for gg? IIRC, they had 2 to 3 years of success under their belts when they earned it - and it also the title comes through the Gallup Poll, no?

..............................................................................................................perfume

1a8e5b24bf1c6ccaa1e5bd8ca4a707841e1abe65.gif31addbb43f8bc3a9c9e7fff75dd7f232c5839f1f.gifd752226429a326c0a6d90dfff22926c1961158d1.gif

• They seem to be going the sistar route with a little twerk, so I doubt they would get that tittle. National gg was always the group in the public eye, they were most successful gg at any given time music wise and promotion wise. It's hard to acknowledge a group as ngg with just one of those.To solidify your status as ngg, you need to be in the public eye, and that isnt something that you do with hit songs alone. They need to push the group more instead of focus on just 2 members. Snsd was a bigger name than yoona, twice was more known than any member, exo at their peak was bigger than any one member etc. National it girl = girl with most cf deals and other types of love calls. National girl group was also not just about having hits (if it were the case, sistar would have had that tittle at one point),snsd and twice had numerous group brand deals. if the public intrest gotten from having hit songs cant be converted to job opportunities for the group, then its all useless. Couldn't believe it when i found out that ive has just 2 brand deals as a group while wooyoung has about 7, and dont tell me it was because the advertisers wanted just her, when aespa debuted and people were raving about karina's looks, there where numerous love calls for Karina alone, but sm decided aespa would be focusing more on group brand deals first, right now aespa has over 6 brand deals and keep landing more, even new jeans has about 5 already.Not hating on the members themselves as they do not manage themselves, but just that the tittle usually means the girl group with the most cf deals, photo shoots etc out of the other ggs. when kang daniel was the it boy, every one and their mother knew there was a new it boy in town due to him having the most cf deals out of all male idols, same with yoona and suzy. Their agency is already doing great with picking good songs, but they need to find out how others are doing it to channel that into more exposure for ive as agroup. Does it make any sense to say a group that is lagging behind other groups in terms of promos and exposure is the ngg even if they have more hits? With they way Ive keeps dropping hits, If starship plays their cards right, they can even pull off an snsd where the group had tons of brand deals and yoona also had tons of solo brand deals at the same time. My point is in terms of hits Ive is leading, but considering every thing that makes a gg all round successful, aespa and now new jeans seem to be going the right route while wooyoung is going for the it girl tittle, her only rival at the moment is jennie

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!