LSM leaving SM could be ugly specially for their older artists

• I have sth similar from other fan bases of their 2nd gen artists

Essentially other SM share holders want SM to go to grind and retire scheme of kpop companies. Keeping groups around at their peak and then just shoo. One of LSM's biggest conditions for selling his share is a 50 year plan by them to not tarnish SM's legacies. More details are coming out with more articles.

SM current CEOs, management and artists are worried for the aftermath of his departure. Its only share holders that are happy and want to unleash carnage just for extra coin.

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• My opinion on this is that I expected sth like this. Other shareholders dont care about artists and people, just money.

I think the transition will be extremely tough for SHINee. Other artists always have a chance of leaving SM and starting new with their members even if they have to leave behind their previous works. SHINee doesnt have that, they will have to leave behind their ot5 discography.

• THATS a shitty move. Man I was waiting for exo full group comeback. :waterr:

yeah I think they saw how much 4th gen group are selling and they want to just empty space for alot of new groups

It will ruin SM's rep even further than it is

• my take is they will only keep those artists which are still relevant for example SHINee are safe and sound

but Super Junior which have kind of own sub-label might be left on their own without SM making a push to put them as MC's, host, variety show members here and there because it's time to use all that NCT boys in tv when they are not making music

SNSD might be similar case, I mean half of group is already out of SM contracts, but other ones might have green light to leave as well

especially if it will be Kakao which will made an offer and acquire LSM shares

after all they would have then everything which Gen Z needs: aespa, IVE, STAYC under one roof, just within different subsidiaries

• my take is they will only keep those artists which are still relevant for example SHINee are safe and sound

but Super Junior which have kind of own sub-label might be left on their own without SM making a push to put them as MC's, host, variety show members here and there because it's time to use all that NCT boys in tv when they are not making music

SNSD might be similar case, I mean half of group is already out of SM contracts, but other ones might have green light to leave as well

especially if it will be Kakao which will made an offer and acquire LSM shares

after all they would have then everything which Gen Z needs: aespa, IVE, STAYC under one roof, just within different subsidiaries

I think they will take away resources from their older groups to the point they would leave themselves

Right now SM gives the same composers, designers, stylists and all of their groups. They will likely keep the top notch people just to work on new groups and left overs for everyone else.

• If they let them leave with the trademarks and no blacklisting it's not necessarily a bad thing. Only if they will be able to sing their old songs though.

Imagine an exo member going to a variety and not sing Growl :cryingr:

Legend Lee Know

External Content youtu.be

• I think they will take away resources from their older groups to the point they would leave themselves

Right now SM gives the same composers, designers, stylists and all of their groups. They will likely keep the top notch people just to work on new groups and left overs for everyone else.

you made me wonder about RV situation

but Seulgi will have her solo soon

and Joy get's those drama offers

would be weird if they will try to 'harm' RV

• Exo is in a unique situation though. Still able to sell 1m. Also they will want to keep Baek, and I don't see him wanting to stay in SM alone.

Legend Lee Know

• If they let them leave with the trademarks and no blacklisting it's not necessarily a bad thing. Only if they will be able to sing their old songs though.

Imagine an exo member going to a variety and not sing Growl :cryingr:

ofc they wont let them take their trademarks and names. They can still earn money from their catalog with 0 expense. Their shareholders are just money hungry.

• SM giving up on older artists or projects like Station are my biggest fears for LSM leaving.

yup

They want to stop anything thats not a big money generator

alot of things I like from SM, like the stations, the orchestra collabs and ofc SHINee will not fair well under the transition

• ofc they wont let them take their trademarks and names. They can still earn money from their catalog with 0 expense. Their shareholders are just money hungry.

I think even Kai name is trademarked :melon_think:

They better go on a legal war :cursing:

Legend Lee Know

• Exo is in a unique situation though. Still able to sell 1m. Also they will want to keep Baek, and I don't see him wanting to stay in SM alone.

I think they are targeting 2nd gen idols first , so Exo and RV will be safe for awhile till they debut their new gg and new bg

• I think even Kai name is trademarked :melon_think:

They better go on a legal war :cursing:

Shawols call Key, Kibum and Onew, Jinki anyway

They can keep the stage names but not the freaking discography

• I think they are targeting 2nd gen idols first , so Exo and RV will be safe for awhile till they debut their new gg and new bg

I guess that's true.

But also didn't shinee have the closest thing to a bg hit in SM in forever with don't call me?

Legend Lee Know

• Shawols call Key, Kibum and Onew, Jinki anyway

They can keep the stage names but not the freaking discography

Yes that would be awful.

Them not performing Sherlock again, a crime :cursing:

Legend Lee Know

• yup

They want to stop anything thats not a big money generator

alot of things I like from SM, like the stations, the orchestra collabs and ofc SHINee will not fair well under the transition

Honestly I think Stations are more in danger than Shinee/Super Junior/TVXQ... they still sell well and their merch/concerts sell out.

• I guess that's true.

But also didn't shinee have the closest thing to a bg hit in SM in forever with don't call me?

they did but Im still worried

specially with their solo projects and albums

frankly all of their 2nd gen groups are still so profitable just on the fact that they can do dome tours in Japan. SM shareholders are just being greedy hyenas.

• Honestly I think Stations are more in danger than Shinee/Super Junior/TVXQ... they still sell well and their merch/concerts sell out.

Im not that worried about their group work, Its the solo work that makes me wonder.

I just really hate how money hungry those shareholders are sounding.

• Im not that worried about their group work, Its the solo work that makes me wonder.

I just really hate how money hungry those shareholders are sounding.

That's a good point... but idk he seems to be reluctant to leave until he can make sure they aren't abandoning stuff. I feel like they have to know that if they want to keep the SMTOWN brand strong they can't just flush everything down the toilet. :/

• That's a good point... but idk he seems to be reluctant to leave until he can make sure they aren't abandoning stuff. I feel like they have to know that if they want to keep the SMTOWN brand strong they can't just flush everything down the toilet. :/

I think thats part of the reason he started pushing smtown brand alot for the past two years

So shareholders cant just do whatever as soon as he is gone

• I think thats part of the reason he started pushing smtown brand alot for the past two years

So shareholders cant just do whatever as soon as he is gone

Yes! I imagine that's part of why they would suggest holding more of them soon including the US. Stuff like the NYE shows are working and bringing in listeners.

• The one thing that TW account is wrong about is saying that LSM's role was limited to music production, claiming that because he officially "stepped down" from the CEO role, he was no longer involved in other aspects of the company like the business stuff, marketing and PR, etc.

Just like JYP who officially "stepped down" but is still with the company, there's no way in hell these two men havent exerted their influence over every major decision of their respective companies.

• I have never seen a more false title. Leaving will finally open the doors to SM groups having good music again. It's because of that weirdo we have what we have with Aespa and NCT. I still look back at the time before 4th gen when I could have been considered an SM company stan since I used to stan most of their groups. The day LSM leaves and takes his "unique" style with him is the day I pop a bottle of champagne.

• I have never seen a more false title. Leaving will finally open the doors to SM groups having good music again. It's because of that weirdo we have what we have with Aespa and NCT. I still look back at the time before 4th gen when I could have been considered an SM company stan since I used to stan most of their groups. The day LSM leaves and takes his "unique" style with him is the day I pop a bottle of champagne.

the other shareholders want to invest less/ get rid of their older groups

I dont care what type of music their future groups will have

The older groups are doing what they want anyway, LSM isnt producing for them

• The buyer will simply 'retire' the older groups.

yeah genius thats what I posted

• This is my concern too. While watching the SMTOWN concerts, I was struck by the amount of time dedicated to the older artists and particularly their solo work, which is where I’d think we see the biggest hit. Many of them are not in the current discussion on charts although they have a dedicated fanbase and can generate a profit. I think most of the groups are fine but there might be less commitment to giving almost every member of a popular group a solo album with a shift in focus on only the most popular members. Additionally, smaller solo sellers may find their budgets slashed or not able to get that second or third album.

I think SM has been smart to have multiple groups and artists as revenue streams - even if EXO dominated their sales/revenue at one point and NCT dominates now, there’s still about half of that which is made up with the other groups.

I also suspect we’ll never see another NCT-like project again where the group was given time to grow and be successful rather than just cutting bait.

..............................................................................................................perfume

1a8e5b24bf1c6ccaa1e5bd8ca4a707841e1abe65.gif31addbb43f8bc3a9c9e7fff75dd7f232c5839f1f.gifd752226429a326c0a6d90dfff22926c1961158d1.gif

• im not so much concerned for the older acts but if they really lower their standards when it comes to the volcas cause then im gonna stop listening to sm songs all together probably

but i mean whatever will happen will happen

• This is my concern too. While watching the SMTOWN concerts, I was struck by the amount of time dedicated to the older artists and particularly their solo work, which is where I’d think we see the biggest hit. Many of them are not in the current discussion on charts although they have a dedicated fanbase and can generate a profit. I think most of the groups are fine but there might be less commitment to giving almost every member of a popular group a solo album with a shift in focus on only the most popular members. Additionally, smaller solo sellers may find their budgets slashed or not able to get that second or third album.

yup!

I think under LSM direction atleast SM tries to keep everyone happy.

I finally got what I wanted for Key with Gasoline and the fact that they are talking about reducing funding and resources to older groups already its concerning and leaves me with bitter taste.

• SM has many weaknesses, but one true strenght was that older acts were still able to have a career in their company - also giving older idols a solo career in which they had more freedom to release the kind of music they really wanted to release, creating musical variety and keeping the company legacy strong, and also SM was special because of collaborations between groups like "S.M. the ballads", "S.M. the performance" and the whole Station project.

If you remove this from SM, it becomes like any other company

• SM has many weaknesses, but one true strenght was that older acts were still able to have a career in their company - also giving older idols a solo career in which they had more freedom to release the kind of music they really wanted to release, creating musical variety and keeping the company legacy strong, and also SM was special because of collaborations between groups like "S.M. the ballads", "S.M. the performance" and the whole Station project.

If you remove this from SM, it becomes like any other company

imagine thinking the good thing you are known for is your problem

money hungry hyenas

• yup!

I think under LSM direction atleast SM tries to keep everyone happy.

I finally got what I wanted for Key with Gasoline and the fact that they are talking about reducing funding and resources to older groups already its concerning and leaves me with bitter taste.

It’s especially a shame because to some degree their plan was working. SMTOWN concerts and cross-promotions between older and younger artists led me into the discography of the older ones and to be interested and engaged in their new work. So now I’ll spend dollars on my faves, but also dollars (or at least streaming coins) on the older ones too. This is a healthy ecosystem where all your eggs aren’t in one basket.

..............................................................................................................perfume

1a8e5b24bf1c6ccaa1e5bd8ca4a707841e1abe65.gif31addbb43f8bc3a9c9e7fff75dd7f232c5839f1f.gifd752226429a326c0a6d90dfff22926c1961158d1.gif

• I went to look up data on the top soloists..by the numbers, EXO, Shinee and RV members will be fine + Taeyeon. Other Gen 1 and 2 members not so much.

• Key will land in 2022 list with the updated number too

I still like stuff from Changmin solo and Kangta and BoA too

It would be a shame for their solos to get scrapped

• I understand both points of view. Shareholders want LSM gone because he takes a significant part of SM's benefits to it's own company, and this hurts the inmediate profit of these investers.

LSM wants SM to keep it's legacy, way of production and family image and I feel like he often prioritize this long-term vision over inmediate profit.

As long as the overall artistic direction of the company keeps being the same and they can keep contacting the same kind of producers they use now AND they keep respecting their own artist long-term career they will be fine.

I think whoever steps up as a new big investor must understand that SM has it's own colour, history and legacy. Striping away any musical identity of their groups will result on bandwagon-stanning of people who won't care or benefit the groups long-term and will instead go for the new shiny thing. K-pop is a very fast-paced industry but SM has to keep prioritizing legacy over hype, with or without LSM. It's what makes them THE textbook K-pop company.

• imagine thinking the good thing you are known for is your problem

money hungry hyenas

Kpop has always been about money, but at least when the founder was still in the company, it was different. Yes, some LSM ideas and concepts might have been bizzare, but at least he tried to create something different for every SM group, he created kpop as what it is today too. What drives me nuts is how these people can't understand that creating SMTOWN made fans of singular groups interested in other SM groups, eventually creating more profit for the company, and that giving older acts solos might not bring as much money to the company as giving newer acts a comeback, but it builds loyality between older fans and the company, the same older fans that will fill out venues for concerts.

Now they will do everything for that quick paycheck,, rushing comebacks and overworking newer acts evern more

• This thread contains 17 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!