If a group can't generate hype anymore they are over?

• Depends. There are lots of 2nd gen groups who don't generate the hype they did during their peak but they are still as relevant as some 3rd gen or 4th gen groups. It depends on the legacy of a group and in a lot of cases a loyal fandom as well. That's why it's more important for younger groups to be consistently successful because they haven't built a legacy yet. But for 2nd gen and now 3rd gen groups, they have the legacy so it doesn't really matter how well their comebacks do because they'll never be forgotten. That's why I don't understand people making fun of twice and downplaying them for not doing as well as they did at their peak. At the end of the day they have one of the largest fandoms, have some of the most iconic kpop songs and are known by even new kpop stans like me who came after their peak. They have a legacy as one of the greatest kpop ggs and this will be the same for other 3rd gen groups when they eventually peak and hand the baton over to 4th gen. The only groups who need to outdo their previous success with each comeback is 4th gen tbh. 3rd gen have done what they needed to do.

🍭 iite cool🍭

dpr layouts Tumblr posts - Tumbip.com

• Well established and successful groups often still bring in enough money to keep them going even if the "hype" is over. Instead it's often the members that want to do other things that kills the group or other problems and scandals. For example Girls' Generation, even if the hype is over a couple of years ago they still probably would earn enough money to make the company happy if they wanted to be active, but instead it's the members that want to do other things in life.

2NE1 was a combination of problems and members that wanted do solo stuff that killed the group.

But lesser popularity and failure to generate "hype" of cource also play in when members and companies decide if they will go on or not. Like T-ara that more or less crashed 2013 and forward from being a tier 1 group during 2011-2012. I can understand if members lose their motivation to go on if you are less popular (= earn less money) than you where a couple of years ago.

• no that's when they will trive

They no longer how to appeal to masses, can live their best life, do artiscally whatever they want and be supported by their fans

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Hype is definitely subjective. Like there are a ton of rock bands who are past their mainstream hype that still kill it on tours and stuff. Like not many people would be getting hyped if Elton John releases an album, but people will definitely show up to see him perform which is why his career endures.

• Depends. Did the group lose many fans of their fandom along with losing hype? If their fandom remained strong, they'll still be receiving much money and full support so it wouldn't be important that they're no longer at the peak of their career.

• They're fine as long as they have an audience, even if it's not particularly big. I never saw much hype (among i-fans at least) for Brown Eyed Girls, except for Abracadabra back then, but they still got a long career and amazing albums after that anyway (and i'm still praying for a comeback one day 🙏)

• Yes, Kpop is a popularity industry, "hype" is crucial currency.. Even if for fans. Fans also need constant content.

However, a track record of consistent success, can ensure that an act doesn't need to do anything special to create a hype.

Their regular existence and work, itself will automatically become hype.

They are the creme of the crop.

But even amongst them, the popularity could be for things other than "music".

So the creme de la creme, are those whose music needs no hype, they need no hype in any non-music avenues etc.

At this point, BigBang, IU and BTS can be called that.

Or maybe LYW outside k-pop.

Others need to work on hype, to keep themselves relevant.

• For older GGs yes tbh because they aren’t touring. For BGs no.

As long as you’re touring hype doesn’t really matter. If you’re able to do a decent sized tour they’re probably making as much or more than the the “hype” groups anyway.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!