[theqoo] GEN Z CLAIMS THAT THEY DON'T USE GOOGLE AS A SEARCH ENGINE ANYMORE

• [theqoo] GEN Z CLAIMS THAT THEY DON'T USE GOOGLE AS A SEARCH ENGINE ANYMORE

bypannchoaJuly 15, 2022

AVvXsEiBZSsdn9cxdYsBPlg998oFhOtSm-DOq6ynTljTxIeSYpKZLQTMCNzntr7906z89TDvq_T_bEd_JssFjmieH6mDIA6JhKuYL1YGVltxfSetb80OBoUnVLmUKa2Yri_ouL-Ov5BU6jfr4eooQNYwY4KspnWIJ7KxnyzCrW-P1jDXMbehk3n8pqZ7Tdx9=s16000

This isn't data from our country, but from the US
    Google claims that they're trying to add more features for younger crowds

t/n: Business insider article (below)

Nearly half of Gen Z is using TikTok and Instagram for search instead of Google, according to Google's own data

TikTok is coming for more than just its social media competitors.

Nearly 40% of Gen Z prefers searching on TikTok and Instagram over Google Search and Maps, according to Google's internal data first reported by TechCrunch.

TikTok, which is the fastest-growing social media app, has exploded in popularity over the past few years — so much so that it inspired social media competitors Instagram and Snapchat to roll out copycat video features in Reels and Spotlight.

Now, a Google executive has confirmed that TikTok's format is changing the way young people conduct internet searches, and Google is working to keep up.

Google senior vice president Prabhakar Raghavan told the Fortune Brainstorm Tech conference that according to Google's internal studies, "something like almost 40% of young people when they're looking for a place for lunch, they don't go to Google Maps or Search, they go to TikTok or Instagram."

Google confirmed this statistic to Insider, saying, "we face robust competition from an array of sources, including general and specialized search engines, as well as dedicated apps."

Google highlighted changes it plans to make to its search engine to appeal to a younger audience, including the ability for a user to pan their camera over an area and "instantly glean insights about multiple objects in a wider scene."

Insider has previously reported about the threat TikTok poses to YouTube, which is also owned by Google's parent company, Alphabet. Insider Intelligence predicts TikTok's advertising revenue will overtake YouTube by 2024.

source: https://www.businessinsider.co…over-google-search-2022-7

original post: here

1. Tik...tok?

2. Now I can understand why kids are acting like they do nowadays

3. It's possible you use IG to look for stuff, they have a lot of information about how to survive alone/lifestyle

4. How much information do they think they can get from Tiktok reels? Looks like it's true that kids nowadays lack so much literacy skills that they can only consume information through videos...

5. Huh...? What kind of information are they trying to gain from Tiktok...? You can find good information about restaurants on IG, but information can be called 'knowledge' can only be found on Google no...

6. People nowadays don't even watch videos anymore, they can't stand long videos or just watch them on 2x speed. They like short-form videos and faster paced videos which is the case of Tiktok. They can get f*cking lots of information from this kind fo app and they can apply right away. Even Youtube videos are considered long, so they can just go quickly look at Tiktok rather than going on Youtube. That's why Youtube introduced shorts

7. If you're on a trip, IG is useful to find places to visit

9. Naver...

10. Just try to get a corporate job ... Me either I've never used Google before entering in an office

PGDPGT PRETTY GIRLS DOING PRETTY GIRL THINGS

417aa1c7e1372f9ae29d8e2f659d3f12cf0db4d9.gifv0d1493f18550d15d02f4c2bba44c12bdc01f518d.gifv

• Wat8.jpg?1315930535

Kids gonna be so dumb and fucked up.

Like...who uses social media for information?! Like at least with Google you can see multiple sources and read and research for yourself. Bruh...wat?

Google is by NO means perfect. Especially since you can pay to have your link boosted, but Instagram? TIKITTY TOK!?!

417aa1c7e1372f9ae29d8e2f659d3f12cf0db4d9.gifv0d1493f18550d15d02f4c2bba44c12bdc01f518d.gifv

• I understand Instagram to some extent, but Tik tok? Does it have other purposes other than making your brain melt with short videos?💀

Like, I know there are some informative tiktoks made by professionals, but like, do they not use Google or Naver to double check that information?

That's like saying you get all your info from YouTube, like, yeah that can be a starting point, but don't just go with that!?!

• no wonder people are falling for fake news more lately

Crazy thing is, my mom's 61, she tells me all the time, "I saw blah blah on YouTube." or "Did you know so and so died?"

I Google it within 2 seconds and am like, "Mom, that's not true."

• explains a lot tbh

LAFBL0s.gif

let us gather around for the lord’s prayer:

Nævis we love you. You are the one who protected me when i was in trouble. MY victory, one SYNK DIVE. I know your sacrifices. Let’s meet surely after the resurrection.

Æmen

:pepe-pray:

• ALSO WHAT THE???

Yeah I know that both instagram and tiktok had many contents and some of them were quite useful.

But tell me how do tiktok or instagram would help me to complete my monthly journal assignment?

or helping me to confirming some simple facts.

but yeah maybe it would helps when you do a creative assignments
    (but a search engine that are made to indexing literally the internet would be far more helpful) :pepe-shame:

• 2. Now I can understand why kids are acting like they do nowadays

4. How much information do they think they can get from Tiktok reels? Looks like it's true that kids nowadays lack so much literacy skills that they can only consume information through videos...

5. Huh...? What kind of information are they trying to gain from Tiktok...? You can find good information about restaurants on IG, but information can be called 'knowledge' can only be found on Google no...

LOL All of these. Pinterest is even a better alternative, as it is actually a search engine. What would you get out of a few influencers online? Some offer sound advice, the rest :pepe-cross:

• I can see using Instagram to research various businesses but what do people search on TikTok??? I also don't stick to Google for everything but use a combination of different sources like twitter, YouTube and Facebook but TikTok??? I think I've only gone there to see stuff about scandals that have happened specifically on that app.

• yeah no i dont think searching for hot girls on instagram and searching for covid symptoms on google count as the same thing although both are technically "search engines"

im not worried about gen z

humans always progress forward

they'll figure their shit out

u r m o m g a y

1e1282e4806e9f6f1080ccc53055ea21c0a98974.gifv6cc52730ebd88d19753cac6a9c1436f129e99705.gifv

• From the actual data they seem to mean searching for places to eat, or fashion trends and stuff like that.

I would need alot more detail on their data to pass of judgment.

Also boomers use Facebook as search Engine. I'm much more worried about that one.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Human doesn't always progress forward

Countless civilization have fallen, this one won't be an exception.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• this explains those "tiktok taught me" commercials on tv now...jesus

legit all the time on tv

• Human doesn't always progress forward

Countless civilization have fallen, this one won't be an exception.

lul

civilizations have fallen due to many causes that was not fault of the people

usually by outside invaders or natural forces ( which humans have learnt to protect themselves from much better with time )

or due to bad ruling/government

but the human species has not degraded in the slightest

everything has gone up and will go up

now greedy and stupid people with power can cause destruction, but genetically, we've consistently gotten taller stronger smarter and lived longer and will continue doing so

u r m o m g a y

1e1282e4806e9f6f1080ccc53055ea21c0a98974.gifv6cc52730ebd88d19753cac6a9c1436f129e99705.gifv

• If you are talking about this in genetic terms, then again your reasoning is flawed.

We stopped the natural selection with giving everyone regardless of their natural abilities a chance at survival and reproduction.

Also civilization have not always fallen due to outside influences.

Civilization in India and China were centuries ahead of Western world, but eventually people starting to believe and trust in superstition and religious dogma over science. If Eastern civilization didn't fell behind, humanity would have been far ahead of what we are now.

• maybe if invaders from europe middle east and japan didnt poke their noses everywhere, life would be better for much of the world population

but either way, life today is still by far much better than those "Advanced civilizations"

i'd love to know if you'd want to live in modern china or Qin dynasty if you had to live there for the rest of your life

oh and conservative thoughts are ultimately what leads to destruction, just as you pointed out so maybe we should let genZ do their own thing without judging

let generations change their own way and they'll find a way to progress

u r m o m g a y

• He? I already called out the study data collection method flawed, so that's out of argument.

And on the first point you resorted to whataboutism

• From the actual data they seem to mean searching for places to eat, or fashion trends and stuff like that.

I would need alot more detail on their data to pass of judgment.

Also boomers use Facebook as search Engine. I'm much more worried about that one.

Ah, the makes more sense lmao.

I thought all hope was lost for a second.

Huh, what gen z kids are using tiktok for information...

Everyone I know uses Google to research and find information. Please, I swear we're not all like this :pepe-shame:

Lmao, this was probably a survey conducted on Korean Zens, and it seems it was more focused on Trends rather than actual important information like fact checking world issues, which would make more sense why Insta and Tikkity Tok were the go to.

I'll try not to demonize Zens like boomers and X'ers demonized we Millenials.

• The headline is very clickbait-y and misleading.

The actual story in Tech Crunch says they don't find places to eat, for example, using Google Search. Google is crying because they make a shit ton of money off of those ad placements and selling keyword searches to advertisers (There's a whole complex market here about how you get prioritized in search results). So when you search for "cute red shoes," all those people paid to be the first things you see in your search results. Similarly, if I'm looking for 'Italian places in City X', people paid for that. They also sell in-map placement ads in Google Maps.

Here's the key note here from the TC story: These users don’t tend to type in keywords but rather look to discover content in new, more immersive ways, he said.

Keywords are what fuels the Google economy.

From the Tech Crunch story:

“In our studies, something like almost 40% of young people, when they’re looking for a place for lunch, they don’t go to Google Maps or Search,” he continued. “They go to TikTok or Instagram.”

Google exec suggests Instagram and TikTok are eating into Google’s core products, Search and Maps – TechCrunch
    The TikTok threat to Google’s business isn’t just limited to YouTube, as it turns out. Core Google services, including Search and Maps, are also being impacted…
    techcrunch.com

..............................................................................................................perfume

1a8e5b24bf1c6ccaa1e5bd8ca4a707841e1abe65.gif31addbb43f8bc3a9c9e7fff75dd7f232c5839f1f.gifd752226429a326c0a6d90dfff22926c1961158d1.gif

• Curse you the101 I came here to say the exact same thing.

I'm an early Millenial and hell, I agree with the Gen Z kids on this.

If you're searching for actual information for research or knowledge, yeah Google is fine. But if you're searching for recommendations for items, or food or whatever, google has been destroyed by its ad stuff. Hell even trying to get a good review of something via google is annoying af, and I usually have to add "reddit" on the end to really get proper end user experiences and not paid ad style reviews.

Sneakerheads will understand as well. Most info about new sneaker releases and hype comes from insta.

In the past year I've found far more cool places to eat in my city via Insta/TikTok than I have via google as well.

This dude has a hilarious take on why google sucks in 2022

• This thread contains 4 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!