Isn't it crazy how 4th gen is basically ending in 2 years

• Like, the oldest 4th gen groups are either in their 4th year or about to enter their 4th year soon, in the first half of 2024 the oldest 4th gen groups will literally be renewing their contracts. Groups like the boyz and fromis_9 entering contract renewals will basically trigger the shift.

Besides 3rd gen lasted 6 years so 2018+6 = 2024 is when 5th gen will start forming itself, kinda wild.

Now or next year would be the perfect window for YG to debut YGNGG otherwise I guess they skipping and jumping directly into 5th. lol

peaking...

• depends on your definition of generation

one way to define gens is to find the most prominent group(s) and backfill the dates around them

(this is actually one way historians define eras)

aespa and ive seem to be the definitive groups of 4th gen (so far)

4th gen years can be defined around their dates

that would mean 4th gen really just started a couple years ago (not 2018).

i think most would agree 4th gen isn't anywhere near over yet

• since you are going all the way back to 2017, why not add 1 more year with 2016, then you would be able to say Blackpink and NCT are 4th gen too

Because TBZ debuted at the end of 2017 in December, they are really the only exception, just like how TVXQ debuted at the end of 2003 and are 2nd gen.

And this is not me ''adding'' anything, it's literally what 4th gen stans and Korean media been claiming since forever, and Korean fans also count TBZ as a 4th gen boy group because they competed for ROTY with 2018 debuts. 4th gen according to K-media started in early 2018 and TBZ is simply an exception.

The Boyz and fromis aren’t definitely 4th gen y’all are adding new groups everytime

They definitely are. lol Literally k-media and 4th gen fans been saying this for the past 2 years that 2018 debuts are 4th gen like... I don't know where have y'all been but yeah.

peaking...

Edited once, last by rvls ().

• 5th gen isn't starting so soon, I'd give it another 5 years.

5 years? That's just unrealistic. 3rd gen lasted 6 years, this generation is already in its 4th year like c'mon now. Not sure where are you pulling those 5 years from.

peaking...

• I’m crying 4th gen Stan’s who couldn’t wait to declare their gen just 6 years after 3rd just because they wanted to brag about some records can’t stand the same about 5th Gen.

Yeah 5th Gen I reckon will be in 2-3 years indeed because those fans will want to brag about their own records too.

Tbh there is no reason for 4th gen to exist but kpop fans don’t care about any of that if it means to brag any way. Anticipate 5th Gen 2k24.

• No, because it's literally not. 4th gen hasn't even begun to take off yet but it is somehow ending? Also, while most of the 3rd gen is still active? For most people, 4th gen starts around 2019-2020.

No, it started in 2018, otherwise you are acting like SKZ, Ateez, G-IDLE, etc., are not 4th gen and we all know that is not true, and K-media always calls them 4th gen, they are like the groups from 2012, the very early 3rd gen. Also, 2nd gen groups were still very much active when 3rd gen groups were debuting and trying to make a name for themselves (SNSD and BigBang were literally having comebacks in 2015).

And how is it not taking off, all these 4th gen BGs are million sellers and GGs are all doing amazing like what... plus it has never been about whether or not these groups are taking off or not and whether or not the old generation is active (like of course top groups of each generation won't just drop dead), it's literally just based on 7 year contract ROUGHLY, since that's the established shelf-life for groups, 3rd gen lasted 6 years and so will 4th gen which means 2024 is when it will end.

yes so crazy that it's not true

It definitely is, we'll talk again when SM debut another group in 2024 and call them 5th gen. LOL I don't know why you all deny the obvious facts, 3rd gen = 6 years. 4th gen = 6 years. Like literally simple math. Not saying it is over, I'm just saying we are close to a new gen than we are not.

peaking...

• Generations are not clear-cut. Some people have different interpretations than others. For me, every one after 2019 is 4th gen.

And even in Korea, it's the same thing. At one point the media was also reporting NCT as 4th gen over there. And then there was the time Knetz were also arguing over whether or not G-idle should be considered 4th gen or not.

• Generations are not clear-cut. Some people have different interpretations than others. For me, every one after 2019 is 4th gen.

And even in Korea, it's the same thing. At one point the media was also reporting NCT as 4th gen over there. And then there was the time Knetz were also arguing over whether or not G-idle should be considered 4th gen or not.

No one takes NCT as the norm, they have a limitless concept, please exclude them when trying to prove a point. They are rather generation-less and have generations WITHIN the group itself, depending on how long SM decides to keep going on with adding new units.

Also, it's not about what you interpret, I am talking about what media will talk about and what will be seen as ''official'' based on K-media and companies' words, cause that's how it usually happens and fans always bite onto it to further establish it. Korean media established all these 2018 debuts as 4th gen and their fans agree/whole of kpop community calls them 4th gen groups, so I don't know what to tell you... when these groups' companies talk about them they also include 4th gen in their articles.

Even if you personally think generations are not ''clear-cut'' you have zero arguments as to why this generation should last longer than the previous...if anything generations been getting shorter cause of globalization, they obviously won't be as long as 1st gen.

peaking...

• No one takes NCT as the norm, they have a limitless concept, please exclude them when trying to prove a point. They are rather generation-less and have generations WITHIN the group itself, depending on how long SM decides to keep going on with adding new units.

Also, it's not about what you interpret, I am talking about what media will talk about and what will be seen as ''official'' based on K-media and companies' words, cause that's how it usually happens and fans always bite onto it to further establish it. Korean media established all these 2018 debuts as 4th gen and their fans agree/whole of kpop community calls them 4th gen groups, so I don't know what to tell you... when these groups' companies talk about them they also include 4th gen in their articles.

Even if you personally think generations are not ''clear-cut'' you have zero arguments as to why this generation should last longer than the previous...if anything generations been getting shorter cause of globalization, they obviously won't be as long as 1st gen.

There's no point in arguing the same points. I said what I said.

• oohh 4th gen stans are going to cry really bad about it, but it is true, if we are going by their standard of when 4th gen started then the ending is soon for them. 3rd gen remains unbothered though they have survived 4 endings years in a row and still standing

• Like, the oldest 4th gen groups are either in their 4th year or about to enter their 4th year soon, in the first half of 2024 the oldest 4th gen groups will literally be renewing their contracts. Groups like the boyz and fromis_9 entering contract renewals will basically trigger the shift.

Besides 3rd gen lasted 6 years so 2018+6 = 2024 is when 5th gen will start forming itself, kinda wild.

Now or next year would be the perfect window for YG to debut YGNGG otherwise I guess they skipping and jumping directly into 5th. lol

When I saw the title, I was wondering how you would know when it ends, but you make good points.

• isnt each generation around 10ish years? 4th gen only started around 2020/2021,

so how can it already end in 2 year? :pepewhat:

No? lol Only 1st gen lasted 10 years. 2nd gen was also shorter than 1st. You just made that 2021 up. K-media, the ministry of culture itself (who has referred to certain 2018 debuts as 4th gen lol), companies and fans, have established 2018 debuts as the first 4th gen groups. If you wanna claim otherwise then you are trying to claim SKZ is a 3rd gen group out of nowhere and we all know that isn't true, even when media reports on their achievements they call them 4th gen. LOL

I hope it isn't, I'm only just getting into 4th gen with Aespa.

How does this prevent you from stanning them? lol They are still gonna be active, it's just that a new generation/batch of idols will debut.

According to people here 3rd gen started in 2012 and ended in 2017, so it lasted 5 years

I don't know why suddenly 4th gen needs to last 20 years before 5th generation starts

Right, and it's not even according to people here only, it's according to k-media and literally kpop fans on every platform ever. If 3rd gen lasted 6 years, why would the next one suddenly be longer and last like 10 years. lol Not even 2nd gen lasted this long.

peaking...

• isnt each generation around 10ish years? 4th gen only started around 2020/2021,

so how can it already end in 2 year? :pepewhat:

I think they mean what they will call new debuting groups.

So, 4th gen will still be popular at that time and will remain so for a while, just like how 3rd gen was still dominant when 4th gen groups started debuting and is still dominating as the most popular groups are still 3rd gen.

If 5th gen starts in 2024, BTS will still be active and likely be the number 1 group. If Twice, Seventeen and BP renew, 3rd gen might continue to dominate and we will never see a time when 4th gen groups are truly dominant, if 5th gen gains enough steam when those 3rd gen groups finally lower activity or disband. There might even be some 2nd gen activity still, if Apink continues and other popular 2nd gen groups release things now and then.

• If you wanna claim otherwise then you are trying to claim SKZ is a 3rd gen group out of nowhere and we all know that isn't true, even when media reports on their achievements they call them 4th gen.

I remember people used to think of them as 3rd gen or 3.5 gen when they first debuted.

Only when there were more successful groups debuting in the same year or the one after (ATEEZ, (G)I-dle, ITZY, TXT etc) and there was a strong enough bunch of groups to give them their own category, did they firmly get placed in the 4th gen.

I've thought of Stray Kids as definitely 4th gen since probably late 2019, but before that it was more up for debate where the cut-off line was.

I would now say it indeed lies with (G)I-dle/The Boyz debuting.

• I think they mean what they will call new debuting groups.

So, 4th gen will still be popular at that time and will remain so for a while, just like how 3rd gen was still dominant when 4th gen groups started debuting and is still dominating as the most popular groups are still 3rd gen.

If 5th gen starts in 2024, BTS will still be active and likely be the number 1 group. If Twice, Seventeen and BP renew, 3rd gen might continue to dominate and we will never see a time when 4th gen groups are truly dominant, if 5th gen gains enough steam when those 3rd gen groups finally lower activity or disband. There might even be some 2nd gen activity still, if Apink continues and other popular 2nd gen groups release things now and then.

I mean even NOW, 2nd gen groups are making comebacks and are still active in one form or another. A generation doesn't need to completely die off for a new one to start. It has never been about that.

People are being so unserious on here suddenly lying that groups like SKZ, G-IDLE, Ateez, GWSN, IZ*ONE, etc., are 3rd gen. LOL It's like saying EXO and VIXX are 2nd gen because they were the very first groups to debut as part of a new generation. All that after spending the last 3 years telling us 2018 groups are 4th gen like... too much revisionism happening suddenly.

And no one having an answer as to why suddenly this generation needs to be 10 years according to some and not as long as 3rd gen which was 6 years. Like I am not trying to argue when did 4th start cause k-media and companies already made that decision for you all and it's 2018, even if you want to erase all the articles and reports calling those groups 4th gen. lol

When SM debut a new boy group that is not part of NCT (as rumored) in 2024 and call them 5th gen you all will see my point.

peaking...

• No? lol Only 1st gen lasted 10 years. 2nd gen was also shorter than 1st. You just made that 2021 up. K-media, the ministry of culture itself (who has referred to certain 2018 debuts as 4th gen lol), companies and fans, have established 2018 debuts as the first 4th gen groups. If you wanna claim otherwise then you are trying to claim SKZ is a 3rd gen group out of nowhere and we all know that isn't true, even when media reports on their achievements they call them 4th gen. LOL

from what I have found online right now (I always get confused with the gens timeline):

1st gen: 1992 - 2002 (10 years)

2nd gen: 2003 - 2011 (8 years)

3rd gen: 2012 - 2017 (5 years)

4th gen: 2018 - today (if it ends in 2 years: 6 years)

its pretty random if you ask me. key himself said shinee (and highlight/beast) are 2.5 gen though. :/

e7d1119bd4bbe2a24c5185fd89153163a8e95675.pnj 1c0edef70bd6974f36d15be96d5399a1cfaed76e.gifv c205b019cd8a46c569e9c4e2f04194a2fde39f74.gifv e27eb299e8ce0bafba7649c82fc04d200d42a974.gifv e7d1119bd4bbe2a24c5185fd89153163a8e95675.pnj

♦ visit my aesthetic shop here

• I remember people used to think of them as 3rd gen or 3.5 gen when they first debuted.

Only when there were more successful groups debuting in the same year or the one after (ATEEZ, (G)I-dle, ITZY, TXT etc) and there was a strong enough bunch of groups to give them their own category, did they firmly get placed in the 4th gen.

I've thought of Stray Kids as definitely 4th gen since probably late 2019, but before that it was more up for debate where the cut-off line was.

I would now say it indeed lies with (G)I-dle/The Boyz debuting.

Yeah, cause they were among the very first groups of gen 4 (like EXO for 3rd) so it was unclear but then when more rookies debuted in 2018, people realized those are a new generation of idols different from the previous and thus 2018 was classified as gen 4 by next year, and it has been that way for the past 3 years. You even have the ministry of culture calling groups like Ateez 4th gen so like it is out of debate as to whether or not 2018 debuts are 4th gen, they definitely are.

Also, you can tell just based on the groups who participated on Kingdom who is seen as 4th gen. lol They invited the 4th gen groups (SKZ, TBZ, ATZ), and the 3rd gen groups (IKON, SF9, BTOB) to parallel new vs old. lol

peaking...

• Yeah, Shinee is more like 2.5 but I prefer calling it ''late 2nd gen'' rather than using numbers, since generations always have first and second half and that doesn't really make them ''less'' of a 2nd gen.

And what you posted basically supports what I said on the thread I guess. lol Each gen has been getting shorter because of globalization, but now people want 4th gen to last like 10 years. lol Just unrealistic.

Each generation is marketed by globalization/expansion. Like 1st gen was the most localized (with groups like H.O.T entering China market), then 2nd gen started spreading kpop to the rest of Asia like SEA, Japan, etc., then 3rd gen entered the West and certain other Asian regions like India, so now 4th gen groups are in peak globalization era and this is what makes them different from the previous. That's basically what ''divides'' them. People always act like it's about fashion or some nonsense like that when it just shows the different ''climate'' these groups debuted in.

Like it's generally not that deep but media now made it A THING and so did fans and companies, so I just pointed it out cuz I was thinking how some of my favorite groups are already in their 4th year.

peaking...

• svt have already renewed!

Edited once, last by tetetete ().

• This thread contains 72 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!