What are the most unique MV's/songs you've encountered in K-pop?

• There's a lot of creativity and variety in K-pop MV's and songs, but some stand out more in the rarity of their style or concept than others.

These were MV's/songs that I found most unique so far

Seulgi & Irene - Naughty

I haven't seen any MV, K-pop or otherwise, where the performance was fully tutting and vogue, where on top of it the tutting of the performers not only synced or mirrored, but also interacted and complemented eachother. It was astonishing to see.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

NCT - Misfit

There haven't been many full rap songs done by the whole group rapping, at least in K-pop. It reminded me of '80s/'90s US rap groups.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

After School - Let's Step Up

After School were famous for their distinctive, high quality, I could've easily picked another MV of theirs. But this complete group tap dance deserves it to be mentioned.

Ten - Dream In A Dream dance practice

Not really an MV, but I had to include this one. Something about the whole dance practice, it felt so different from other dance practices and choreo, it almost felt like art to me

These were MV's that felt unique to me or at the least rare to see them like that in K-pop.

What were K-pop MV's and songs that felt unique or distinctive from most others in K-pop to you?

'No more shall man have wings to bear him to paradise. Henceforth, he shall walk.'

SWJ1P.gif

• Literally Billlie discography

Horror concepts are really unusual in kpop

• Literally Billlie discography

Horror concepts are really unusual in kpop

They seemed to have a very distinctive style for a rookie group. I like it! :lover3:

'No more shall man have wings to bear him to paradise. Henceforth, he shall walk.'

SWJ1P.gif

• there are ofc many more but this was the first thing which came to my mind

who would ever do this beside Suju lmao

• I LOVE After School's Let's Step Up! Their ability to explore a different style of dance every comeback really made them something special.

I think Leessang's Turned Off the TV is a really unique MV. It uses stop motion to convey the emotions of the song, which you don't see done in kpop often.

let's be friends

e9b8a6c6366aecb3faf71dcc6b4488775b109abb.gif

• every GWSN mv but this one in particular is my favorite for how weird it is

External Content youtu.be

• Leessang - Ballerino

• External Content www.youtube.com

• There is a lot more than 1, but let me recommend Kingdom - a group that explores historically inspired concepts. There are 7 members and everyone is representing another king. In their debut they presented a MV inspired by Kind Artur and I think it's a pretty unique idea for a kpop group and mv. Love how detailed their outfits are! In every comeback we are getting a story of the next member (king of the represented kingdom).

btw Kingdom will have a CB on 17th March, I recommend to check it then <3

• Pixy - Bewitched

I don't think the MV has things that are that unusual, but that vocal effect on the chorus is pretty interesting and different.

The Red Velvet Factory aka Dumb Dumb - both this song and video are so striking

EXO - Mama

It's got a whole intro lore and the Gregorian chart chorus and..

Mamamoo's serving drag king realness in Um Oh Ah Yeah

I feel like there are a lot of really interesting NCT videos and sounds, but I'd point to these three - there is something off-kilter in tone in most of these. They are painting a mood that's often dark or dissonant.

NCT 127 - Fire Truck

Not only is the song different, the video is too (for Kpop). The members and and the choreo are again not the focus.

NCT U - 7th Sense still sounds out as unique - both in sound and look.

NCT 127 - Simon Says

The song is brooding and menacing enough but the masked robotic dance at the beginning seals the deal. (And notably, the fact that you're covering very good looking faces with masks for the sake of an aesthetic vibe for such an extended period at the start of this video is an interesting take for a kpop bg in 2018. Yes, they still make room for faces in the video but still..) Even the choreo and costuming is striking and different.

Okay, one more NCT..

NCT U - Maniac

The members don't even appear in the video. This isn't that unusual in MVs (not even in Korean music - I can think immediately of Chancellor and Taeyeon's beautiful Angel video), but Kpop videos usually always want to show you the Kpop group. This is a bg video where no boys appear.

..............................................................................................................perfume

1a8e5b24bf1c6ccaa1e5bd8ca4a707841e1abe65.gif31addbb43f8bc3a9c9e7fff75dd7f232c5839f1f.gifd752226429a326c0a6d90dfff22926c1961158d1.gif

• Diss track for your own group members :pepe-hehe:

• Bae bae by Bigbang. The sexual innuendo of the MV was so artistically done. Love it.

Zutter by GD and Top. Chaotic and comedic. Not very idol-ish

• I LOVE After School's Let's Step Up! Their ability to explore a different style of dance every comeback really made them something special.

I think Leessang's Turned Off the TV is a really unique MV. It uses stop motion to convey the emotions of the song, which you don't see done in kpop often.

Ah yes, I agree! Stop motion isn't used much for MVs, I can't recall any other examples in K-pop where it was used.

SWJ1P.gif

• every GWSN mv but this one in particular is my favorite for how weird it is

Leessang - Ballerino

Both beautiful MV's that I haven't heard before, thank you :-)

I'm not familiar with Leessang's songs, but I liked the sound of that one.

And GWSN's sound reminded me somehow of IZ*One.

There is a lot more than 1, but let me recommend Kingdom - a group that explores historically inspired concepts. There are 7 members and everyone is representing another king. In their debut they presented a MV inspired by Kind Artur and I think it's a pretty unique idea for a kpop group and mv. Love how detailed their outfits are! In every comeback we are getting a story of the next member (king of the represented kingdom).

btw Kingdom will have a CB on 17th March, I recommend to check it then <3

I will 8)

A lot of MV's that were posted, many of them I didn't know. I guess I'll have enough to watch and listen to for the next hour ^^

SWJ1P.gif

Participate now!

Donโ€™t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!