Hot take : singing live and self producing are not achievements.

• They're no achievements in themselves. They have to be good first. Praising the mere fact of singing live or producing separately from its quality is settling for the bare minimum.

• The song I wrote in Animal Crossing begs to differ! :mad:

That went 5x platinum in Quarkieville. :nct2:

• I think I just see this argument too much from individuals who can’t use it as a weapon, or bragging rights in the typical pissing contest. Though not to be mistaken, not referring to you op.

Also, what exact groups do you feel don’t deserve said credit? Because there’s not that many that do so in the field.

I see many more people use arguments such as "at least they're singing live" or "at least they self produce" than people who argue that those things aren't necessarily an achievement unless they're actually good. So I'm confused at the first part of your post.

As for the second part, many groups have members that write or produce, it's literally anything but rare. Besides, it's a case by case scenario, it depends on the song. I might absolutely love a self produced song from a given group but find another to be shitty. It's not a group thing.

Same can be said for live singing. Lipsynching is rampant but I think it's safe to say it's possible to find at least one live performance from most groups lol.

• Just gonna be honest, most idols I have heard live don't sound great. They are decent at best.

I can name off a few hand full who can do it and sound phenomenal. But, I do think it's really impressive when idols can dance really tiring choreography and manage to not only sing but keep the correct pitch, not crack, and sound stable. That takes hard work, and I give kudos to those who can do it.

Idol producers are also hit or miss for me. The ones who have really impressed me are Edawn, Woozi, and BI.

PGDPGT PRETTY GIRLS DOING PRETTY GIRL THINGS

417aa1c7e1372f9ae29d8e2f659d3f12cf0db4d9.gifv0d1493f18550d15d02f4c2bba44c12bdc01f518d.gifv

• Can't relate. My faves write all their songs and co-produce em and they have a no skip discography.

It's not my fault you don't like this song

:peperun::peperun:

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• People can praise their favs for whatever the fuck they like, what I dont accept when they switch and bait their standards

They praise their favs for live singing during music shows DANCING while the group cant for the life of it hold a note just standing around and singing.

Same goes for producing, they praise the idol for self producing but as soon as lyrics are problematic or there is plagiarism suspicions, apparently they dont even HEAR or READ their own songs and lyrics and its all other people's fault.

That last bit smells like a whole cow farm. If you praise someone for being self producing, then suck it up with they mess up.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Like it’s so weird to hear people complain about this stuff as a metric for talents when it is impressive. Like, you don’t hear people questioning and saying “ vocals aren’t a real achievement “

The point of this thread is I don't find those things impressive in themselves. Not everyone who cooks a dish is suddenly a talented chef it's the same logic here.

And no this is absolutely different from vocals lol. Having good vocals mean you're a talented vocalist full stop. Producing a song doesn't necessarily mean you're a good producer.

• isn't that obvious? Fans only praise their faves because they find the live singing/self produced song good

Kpop fans always quantify these aspects. It's rarely about this idol producing this specific song they love and more often about the mere idea of this idol or this group producing. Same thing for live singing, in fact it's worse with live singing. I have seen it many times, someone would criticise a less than satisfactory live performance and everyone would be like "hey at least they're singing live"

• I think you completely ignored everything I said lmao.

I encapsulated my opinion of the rest of your post in the first sentence which you removed in your quote :pepepizza:

And to reply to your other post where you asked me to drop names for the second time, stop trying to make this thread personal. This is a general observation that's not targeting anyone in particular.

• I encapsulated my opinion of the rest of your post in the first sentence which you removed in your quote :pepepizza:

And to reply to your other post where you asked me to drop names for the second time, stop trying to make this thread personal. This is a general observation that's not targeting anyone in particular.

but think about it the more you drop names the closer you are to thread of the month :pepe-cringe:

• It's sad it's gotten to the point where live singing is praised as if there the holy grail. Kpop fans will lap up anything lol.

Self producing isn't an achievement, there's very few idols who can actually produce a song (writing lyrics != producing) and even if they do there still the question if it's a good song. Producing a shit song isn't praise worthy imo.

• People can praise their favs for whatever the fuck they like, what I dont accept when they switch and bait their standards

They praise their favs for live singing during music shows DANCING while the group cant for the life of it hold a note just standing around and singing.

That's another issue all together lol. The encore would sound like shit but the fans will still insist that the perfect performance from the same night was definitely live lol

Same goes for producing, they praise the idol for self producing but as soon as lyrics are problematic or there is plagiarism suspicions, apparently they dont even HEAR or READ their own songs and lyrics and its all other people's fault.

Thank you so much :pepe-sad:

• A question: who is the person who will objectively decide If a song produced by an idol producer is good or bad? I'm interested in talking to them.

Kpop fans always quantify these aspects. It's rarely about this idol producing this specific song they love and more often about the mere idea of this idol or this group producing.

• It's sad it's gotten to the point where live singing is praised as if there the holy grail. Kpop fans will lap up anything lol.

Self producing isn't an achievement, there's very few idols who can actually produce a song (writing lyrics != producing) and even if they do there still the question if it's a good song. Producing a shit song isn't praise worthy imo.

The live singing thing is not something limited to KPOP fans tbh.

This is something you will see regularly as a drag if you follow any mainstream *most notably female* artist.

PGDPGT PRETTY GIRLS DOING PRETTY GIRL THINGS

417aa1c7e1372f9ae29d8e2f659d3f12cf0db4d9.gifv0d1493f18550d15d02f4c2bba44c12bdc01f518d.gifv

• Sm stans sad they can’t praise their favs for singing live :nervousk:

I wish rookies sang live like this in 2022

External Content twitter.com

• That's another issue all together lol. The encore would sound like shit but the fans will still insist that the perfect performance from the same night was definitely live lol

Thank you so much :pepe-sad:

I would really like to get an answer on that 2nd part

but everytime I asked it I got called a hater

still waiting to know how do some idols record songs without reading the lyrics or listening to the beat?

:pepepizza:

• Sm stans sad they can’t praise their favs for singing live :nervousk:

I'm so sad not a single one of your all faves can hold a candle to my faves live singing

External Content youtu.be

So the idols' skills depend on the perception of a part of their fans who cares more about bragging than their music and we ignore the perception of fans who genuinely enjoy the music, casual fans who follow the artist musically or people who, even If the idol's style is not their cup of tea, they appreciate the technical aspects of their skills? Is everything invalidated?

I'd like If you elaborate If I'm getting it wrong.

Bankai: Minazuki

85e1d14897360f5af5426181e6b1e605126ab548.gifv

• I personally haven't yet heard a great self produced song that wow'd me. But then i don;t think very highly of kpop musically so this might be a me problem.

Wut? Soyeon wrote this megabop all on her own and produced it with only one other person. 8|

So the idols' skills depend on the perception of a part of their fans who cares more about bragging than their music and we ignore the perception of fans who genuinely enjoy the music, casual fans who follow the artist musically or people who, even If the idol's style is not their cup of tea, they appreciate the technical aspects of their skills? Is everything invalidated?

IMO the people who care about the bragging are the majority who talk about self production. We can't prove or disprove it one way or the other but the opinion also i don't suppose either one of us will be able to change.

I'm not going to elaborate because I'm not in the mood to argue with people who pretend they don't see kpop fans weaponising self producing.

• IMO the people who care about the bragging are the majority who talk about self production. We can't prove or disprove it one way or the other but the opinion also i don't suppose either one of us will be able to change.

Well, as you said It's your opinion and at least you are paraphrasing as an opinion and not as an objective fact.

I don't agree or disagree, I was never good at maths, so I suck at statistics and I never did any research.

• I'm not going to elaborate because I'm not in the mood to argue with people who pretend they don't see kpop fans weaponising self producing.

You are sounding too accusative when in the beginning of my comment I said I agree these portion of fans exist and I'm not denying their existence. But I can't force you to do anything.

• And kpop fans don't weaponize everything they can??

I'm so so so very confused. Mina didn't say no one has ever done that. Kpop fans will always find a way to be pretentious to live vicariously through stuff, all for fanwar too.

i have seen enough people praising mediocre live vocals not even in tune for it to be something worth the call out in specific.

We don't even have to go bast the first few pages of AKP for that. But maybe that's too controversial to say.

• Well, as you said It's your opinion and at least you are paraphrasing as an opinion and not as an objective fact.

I don't agree or disagree, I was never good at maths, so I suck at statistics and I never did any research.

I thought it should go without saying that anything we post here is our personal opinion unless stated otherwise.

• IMO the people who care about the bragging are the majority who talk about self production. We can't prove or disprove it one way or the other but the opinion also i don't suppose either one of us will be able to change.

That’s a massive ass generalization.

The main reason I prefer to stan self-producing groups is because to me, they seem more authentic in their identity.

Not that’s it’s bad to not produce your music, because that’s basically the majority of the western music industry too, and there’s a need for pop songs that are literally just pop songs.

But the largest benefit of self-producing groups is the establishment of a group identity though music. To me, there is nothing more satisfying than watching artists grow alongside their music.

• what groups though? Spill it all. :pepe-notes:

We can't even discuss objective versus subjective like you guys want because no examples are being provided ;(

There was a certain enhypen encore stage that got lots of criticism because it was honestly bad. You go on YouTube and read the replies under the video and you find their fans acting like they invented live singing.

There.

• This thread contains 306 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!