what do you think of this "kpop now became based on popularity now"? (now more than before)

• External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

External Content twitter.com

• luckyStarLight

Changed the title of the thread from “what do you think of this "Kpop is no based on popularity now" ?” to “what do you think of this "kpop became more based on popularity now"?”.
  • luckyStarLight

Changed the title of the thread from “what do you think of this "kpop became more based on popularity now"?” to “what do you think of this "kpop now became based on popularity now"? (now more than before)”.
  • My take on this. No one is forced to buy and listen to anything.

If these acts are dropping music and selling a lot, it's 'cause many people are liking it. Either this being your (in a general way) taste or not.

Also, it's good to mention that many Kpop groups have better marketing, better promotions and money to spread their music and image. This makes a huge difference too.

It's really hard for an artist that came from zero to hit big. That's why plenty of Hollywood acts have influential people, family members, whatever, behind them (take a look on Nepotism in Hollywood).

Kpop artists have big agencies behind them. This helps A LOT.

• I agree

People will directly stan and support the bigger groups now like nct,blackpink,bts, aespa etc....

Meanwhile even if smaller groups release better songs they'll never get the same success just because they aren't as popular then these groups

Which is quite different from 2nd gen when you can become successfull or not based on the music you release, Sistar, t-ara, girl's day, beast, cnblue are all groups who find a big success in 2nd gen thanks to the quality of their songs

Now you'll never see the same thing, for example brave girls will never be as popular than the other groups i mentionned even if everybody is claiming that they love their songs just because they aren't as popular than the groups i mentionned

✩We Born with the X-Gene✩

#aespa from GOMAWO TAEYEON #aespa from GOMAWO TAEYEON #aespa from GOMAWO TAEYEON

• I would have taken OP seriously if (s)he wasn’t an orbit :pepe-joy:

But seriously my favs released a shit ton of bad music but their overall discography is good...

the main problem is that some fans arent honest if you have to listen 61782 times the song to say the song is growing on you do you really like the song ??? we don’t have to force ourselves to like every songs that idols pull

• this is giving me "i was born yesterday" energy.

the POP in Kpop stand for Popularity. You would think with the invention of the interne,t people would know more, not less.

• This is the case of literally everything in the world

The popular sells, the lesser known needs more effort to be able to match

Kpop is not special, and was never not based on popularity...

♢ BTS ♢ RED VELVET ♢ STAYC ♢ ITZY ♢ I'VE ♢ 

bf8564d98af24361d0590896c941048f9c781516.gifv 113c3e0e8e47532a0f6e02950f2765764a166a8c.gifv ea538e39aff2514e678056be42c87abdbaefb377.gifv

• This is ridiculous. Yes bigger groups will originally do bigger numbers but whether or not the song is a success depends on the song. Apart from IU I haven't seen anyone always do amazing on the charts. For example Black Swan and ON by BTS weren't national hits because they didn't resonate with the korean public vs dynamite which smashed everything. Even for BTS to have a national hit the song needs to suit the taste of the korean people (even if people here say dynamite is generic and shit people in SK seemed to really like it). Also even BTS, in 2014 Boy in Luv was a fairly decent hit and 2016 Blood, Sweat, and Tears did really good. This proves that if you have a good song it will do good in the charts. Momoland's Boom Boom is another good example. People will recognize a good song. The main thing with Momoland is they weren't able to follow it up so they didn't get popular. Monsta X came from a small company and are still relatively popular. Yes groups from big companies have an advantage and the industry isn't always fair. Guess what that's the same in any country. You have to accept that and move on.

If I say anything incorrect please correct me and I will edit my comment accordingly. I'm also very sarcastic so please don't take anything I say to heart.

• tbh I don't agree with it, not completely

It have always been like this top company group get popular and other group have hard time , however in term of bad song still doing well I think it's because they grew their fanbase and fans will buy and stream no matter if a song is good or bad. I think that's what make idols with more listener that are not part of the fanbase criticism different and the group sale/stream numbers increase/decrease each comeback

good example is gfriend their sales/stream no. went down (I doubt the fans stopped supporting them when their concept changed I think it's because they have more listener that are not part of the fanbase)

• My take on this?

If KPOP is based purely on quality, Brave Girls would have been famous in 2017 with Rollin, instead of now in 2021.

Like you think the quality of Rollin increased x10 and it was a shit song in 2017, but became a top tier song in 2021? No

Sometimes song's aren't the main factor. Yes it is important, but a lot of times the stars just align for certain groups and many times it doesn't

I hope that one day people will notice my nugu faves and no I'm not talking about Day6, I'm talking about real nugu groups like Dongkiz

:pepecute::pepecute::pepecute::pepecute::pepecute:

Please check em out

External Content www.youtube.com

• This rant is stupid.

This person is probably a new kpop fan who doesn’t know how impossibly hard it was for non big 3 groups to break out pre-BTS. BTS had to do something different to break out too. Their success didn’t come dished to them in a silver platter.

But I do agree about the crappy music bit. Most top groups are doing the absolute minimum and yet their fans will eat it up. Harsh reality.

• This is the case of literally everything in the world

The popular sells, the lesser known needs more effort to be able to match

Kpop is not special, and was never not based on popularity...

for real no shit sherlock this happens in the west too, Justin Bieber or Ariana Grande will always do bigger numbers than indie artists

• for real no shit sherlock this happens in the west too, Justin Bieber or Ariana Grande will always do bigger numbers than indie artists

Kpop stans often act like if they live in a different reality it’s quite embarrassing.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!