Posts by JennyHoliday

Didn't SM already have a lawsuit against the chinese members of exo and jyj. Did they seriously still not learn their lesson. I didn't expect much from sm but I thought if they were going to pull some crap it would be at least in grey areas and not completely illegal. Like, it takes balls to get an already established group to sign an 18 year contract. News Flash SM: they don't need you anymore. They are already established and even if they change their name and continue as a group, they will do just fine. Honestly the part that boggles my mind is that when they requested their pay report they flat out refused. They didn't even try to fudge the numbers. Like, what did they think was gonna happen. And also the world changed from when jyj had their lawsuit. Even if they can control cable tv, there is youtube where they can promote through. Honestly I enjoy those more because it feels like the idols are a lot more relaxed and free. Not the biggest fan of exo but I am sad about this. I really do like some of their music.

On a side note: aren't exo in their 30s? so does that mean this contract will be valid until they are 48+? Like, that's ridiculous, I don't think they will be wanting to do aegyo at that age. Or am I wrong? I think I remember hearing about them going into the military.. could be wrong.

:akorns::akorns::akorns:

Now just to give my 2 cents. I think I have seen multiple idols address this issue. I think Apink mentions how there was a couple junior group that didn't greet them and they felt like now you only get respect if you are popular. I also think Ateez also mentioned something like this as well. Obviously it can be a little disheartening if it's something that happens a lot where juniors are only respectful to popular senior idols. Whether we as international fans agree with this whole respect thing in Korea, we shouldn't have a say on whether it is important of not since it's not our business. I would hate for someone who has no idea about my culture to bash it simply because it seems a little dated.

Now for what Bang Chan said, he didn't name any names and said how he felt about the situation. I listened to the clip and he said he greeted them and they didn't say anything back, so it's not bowing or anything like that. I do agree that it feels awkward when that happens and I feel like this is rude in any culture. And he moved on pretty fast. It was just like a 30 sec thing he said in I assume a very long V live. I think his fans just took it too far but I don't really think he's at fault for anything. Thinking before you say anything can be exhausting. I remember when I was at a family function at India I had to think before I say anything because I'm from America and we talk and behave very differently. And honestly I hated it. I'm someone who just says what I want and deals with consequences later. I've gotten in trouble for it multiple times but that's just me. I don't mean to be rude or something, I'm just extremely straight forward and say what's on my mind. I think that's what happened. He just said what was on his mind and honestly that's how it should be. We always say we want idols to be free and say what they want but then we draw lines like they shouldn't talk about other idols or this or that, and we're back to where we started.

Alright what is with all these threads about 50/50. They literally just had their first hit song and everyone is already at their necks. We will have to see how they fall up and if they can get their name out there. They could either be momoland after boom boom or exid after up and down. I will say it seems they have some strong backing so maybe they could go to exid or even gfriend level. I don't see them surpassing that. Anyway it is more difficult for ggs to build a fandom versus bgs so if they could even get to exid's level that would be awesome.

Are you a new army?

Not new but I did have to take a break for a year. There was a lot going on in my life and while I still streamed their songs, I wasn't able to catch up on a lot of new content. I have a month after finals before I have to go to Japan so I'm planning on catching up. Though to be fair I wasn't fully caught up before my break. I joined 2019 and the amount of content they have out is insane.

Me deciding whether to watch JK's live, catch up on run bts, stream on spotify, stream on youtube, catch up on bangtan bombs, or check army twitter. I am currently streaming and checking social media. After an hour it is time for run bts. In all of this madness I have to study for finals and the DAT. I also have study abroad this summer for Japan so I'm planning to learn some basic Japanese. Going on 4 hrs of sleep a day and feeling amazing.

Depends:

- Dynamite definitely had a label push at the beginning and it being a song from BTS definitely helped, but for people thinking that this was all ARMYs doing are on another level of insane. If that was the case any english song BTS release would have the same results. It was huge in Japan and became super viral. I'm from red neck America and even my friends have heard of the song. Now, do they know it's by BTS or is a kpop song, no. But I think that it further proves my point that the song went outside the kpop circle.

- Now the cupid song, if I were to ask my friends in college, they would probably know it but if I was to ask anyone who doesn't use social media a lot the answer would probably be know. Now can that change, absolutely. This song is still relatively quite new so we should wait for a month or two before deciding anything.

Final thoughts, about organic I don't think either song is quite as natural as people say. Dynamite definitely had a lot of promotions and a label push but I don't think cupid just became viral on its own. Just like Drivers License, I think this song is having the same push on tictok to make it viral on a smaller scale. But none of this makes any song less of a success or something. In this day and age it is very hard for any song to be a hit without some level of a push. Also, I think people are underestimating just how big Dynamite was. Mind you where I am from I've only heard it a handful of times but when I was visiting my friend in Jersey, I swear I heard the song everywhere that week. So maybe the area you live in didn't hear it, that doesn't mean no one else has.

Honestly speaking even if HYBE won't let them keep the name BTS, the seven of them can just start over and rebrand their name. I honestly think that if any of the members truly wanted to leave, they're the ones that hold the power. ARMYs will follow BTS, not the company. In terms of their music ownership, I think BTS would have to buy them from HYBE so whether BTS does that or not is not something I can predict. But they could re-record like Taylor is doing.

They would definitely put a fight but honestly, in order for their stocks to not fall too much I think they would try to reach an agreement with BTS. At the end of the day, if they publicly fought with BTS, the public would also turn away from them.

It's not really a dance number or upbeat pop song. It's a chill song but not really something that will make the group known. Take momoland or EXID, their songs were dance songs and so their fancams also became super popular. Psy's gangman style was also a dance song and the dance became popular. It's a nice song but definitely not a song that kpop fans are going to gravitate to. This will give them exposure but to me this is more something like a drama OST. I like the song but I'm not going to look it up online for a MV or dance practice.

Now can they give us better album covers?

In what way are you talking about I think the MOTS: 7 packaging was not for me but I have so far liked most of their album covers. BE was a bit bland but it was designed by BTS so I wasn't expected anything super fancy; it was supposed to be on the similar side to begin with. I don't follow TXT so I don't know about any of their album covers but aren't album covers supposed to be simple to begin with. I like them and they look aesthetically pleasing on my bookshelf.

Alright I'm not reading all of these replies. So my personal take:

What does it mean for a song to be viral? It means that it should be played everywhere you go and most people know it. When I'm from anyway that doesn't seem to be the case for Cupid. I've mainly heard it on social media but not really on the radio or at stores or offices. My friends who don't use social media don't know this song either. Being viral on social media is different than what GS or dynamite did. They were popular among all generations and pretty much everyone had at least heard the song. If this song continues to do good on tictok and becomes more well known I think it could absolutely do well but it beating dynamite, I think it still has a long way to go. Right now I think its success is around the level of HYLT or money, popular on social media but not something people w/o social media would recognize. And again this is for where I live so I have no idea how popular it is out of this state or country.

Side note: For people saying that Dynamite isn't viral, you need a reality check. Even if it did get a push, that doesn't make something not viral. I'm sure everyone knows how big of a push Olivia got for her songs but people still claim them to be viral. And honestly where a song can be viral is more than just the initial push. If people don't like it, it will be forgotten very fast. Dynamite kept getting bigger and bigger as time went on, that is what makes a song viral. If after the initial release, it goes up the charts rather than down.

Most knets have the same question as many users in this forum. They don’t wonder about Butter not winning since it wasn’t a full album. But they wonder why Dream didn’t win a Bonsang when they won album of the year. Even with the 40% judges criteria….

FJO6DffaQAEIe7U?format=png&name=medium

Dream was WAAAYYYY ahead of the other Bonsang winners before the judges criteria were addes.

127 is about 6 points below dream and judges criteria is 40 points so it's not that big. At the end of the day there's no point in arguing since they don't make the judges criteria available. Though some other users mentioned that the winners were decided before the voting was over so: :pepewhat:

Okay sma doesn't count singles so regardless of how good digitals bts had, there is no way they could beat all the physicals nct 127 sold. Also. 40% is 'judges criteria' which is why these winners might not make sense to most people. But to be fair butter and ptd weren't the best songs they released either. Film out was a bop but since that's Japanese it wouldn't get something the judges know about. I get that butter and ptd sound nice and puts people in a good mood, but it can't really compare to bts' korean lyrics and messages. I don't know about nct's work enough to judge but the pop songs bts put out this year are definitely not something that will impress judges.

I don't think bts could have won since I don't think this show counts singles as albums. I'm more surprised they beat IU since 40% fan voted and IU is a favorite for judges and her digitals are amazing. I guess nct 127 physicals beat out her digitals or their judges vote was a lot higher than iu. Also what other daesang did nct win? This is the first time i've really heard of them winning a daesang.